• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 13: "The Storm Has Come And So Have I" 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2

Nordicus

Still related to the SAO conversation, but like I've probably told before, I'd really love it if they adapted Natsunokumo. I dunno if the manga ever reached a proper ending because the translations stopped at chapter 20, but the stuff that's there is interesting. It focuses heavily on the angle of roleplaying being therapeutic and the benefits of online relationships. The protagonist often takes a very fatherly role, and that probably fits him the best because his main is a bulky one-armed robot. Sometimes he uses his human-looking alt character but he much prefers to use his min-maxed death machine. Perhaps it'd be too talky for a lot of people's tastes, but it has some really likeable characters. This motorcycle-riding granny is one of them. Actually plays a big role in one of the arcs and her character gets thoroughly fleshed out.
43857935k2kie.jpg
IiFeOh3.jpg

Xiraiya

I don't mean to be rude here, and please feel free to tell me to fuck off if I'm out of line. But I'm curious. You ever been poor? Like, in which buying a game is an extravagant expense? And you can only get say...2 a year? Or how bout, if that's too personal, when you were a kid, how many games could you get? I got 4 a year. I saved up for 2 and got one for christmas and birthday. I remember buying some games and blowing through them in a single afternoon and being disappointed as all fucking god damn hell. Gerstman talks about spending 80 dollars on Strider and beating it in like 3 hours and how he had to save for months for it. Because that perspective is one that doesn't really value money.

I wasn't really "poor" growing up per say, but most of the time, games were expensive enough and low enough on the priority list where I would only ever get like 3-5 games per console
up until someone gave me a chipped PSX
So sometimes I just had to make do with games I may not have cared as much about.

But even now as an adult, where I have access to an insane amount of games (Mainly on PC, I still only have like 5 PS3 games), if I replay a game, it's because I really like something about it, I like it enough to run through it again properly, or it feels nice to play so I replay it, or I like the way it looks so I keep coming back and so on.

If I finish a game and never play it again, then it's probably not one I thought of as being memorable, and even then I usually don't finish a game I don't really care about, I've never understood this lack of appreciation for the little details in games where people run through them and say "Well that was cool I guess" and never think about it again, I like to stop and smell the roses so to speak.

Tako

I totally agree, I was never able to afford to get new games much when I was younger. And when I did I always got ones from like garage sales or bargain bins.And that continued till my teens. And most of those games never got boring no matter how often I replayed them or lasted a good week or 2 before I beat them. Now a days I get disappointed when good games come out and are buggy as shit and only last me at least 9 hours tops,and fucking cost me 60 or more to buy. Thats why I'm very selective of games that I do buy. I always wait to hear word from you guys or the guys here on gaf. Now that I have a high paying job and single I can afford any games comes out but alot of the times most of them aren't worth that 60 dollar price tag

The thing i hate the most in gaming.
I would never ever buy dlc for anything except fighting game characters.
It is the most crucial thing yet they sell you some. Would prefer colors and stages that i can ignore.

Fighters need to sell post-game made DLC characters to make back money on the effort spent to develop them.

Numb

Fighters need to sell post-game made DLC characters to make back money on the effort spent to develop them.

It is understandable but characters should not be apart of it.
It is the same if entire races or classes are sold to you in RPGs.
And even if you are not interested in getting the character you are forced to if are are a competitive guy so you can develop strats against them.
DLC should be optional and supplementary not extremely crucial to the game.
Or be an expansion that does not require the game or atleast doesnt have more important shit like the true ending in it like Asura did.

Xiraiya

Paid dlc characters in a fighting game should be illegal.

I disagree, I only agree when they shrink the roster down specifically to milk out more money, if you're going to make me pay for an extra character, it better be one that would never really be part of the default lineup or hasn't been in the game in a long time or something like that.

They've been doing it for decades now. Its every new version of a fighting game that has ever come out.\

If you want to complain about DLC characters, complain about how unbalanced and broken a good amount of them are.
Expansion character roster improvements are definitely more expensive, but getting a "pack" of new characters does feel pretty nice versus peicemeal. That said, DLC is a way more elegant solution and keeps everyone on the same disc without having to split the playerbase unnecessarily.

If they were more balanced, it'd be a way better solution. It actually is already.

Can we talk about how Skullgirls is godlike with this stuff?

Expansion character roster improvements are definitely more expensive, but getting a "pack" of new characters does feel pretty nice versus peicemeal. That said, DLC is a way more elegant solution and keeps everyone on the same disc without having to split the playerbase unnecessarily.

If they were more balanced, it'd be a way better solution.

Can we talk about how Skullgirls is godlike with this stuff?

If DLC characters were balanced with the rest of the cast and the game allowed you to fight against them in training/versus/arcade/etc. to practice, I wouldn't have a single complaint about DLC characters existing.

Unless a company outright admits that they took the character out of the game.

And yes, Skullgirls is godlike

If DLC characters were balanced with the rest of the cast and the game allowed you to fight against them in training/versus/arcade/etc. to practice, I wouldn't have a single complaint about DLC characters existing.

Unless a company outright admits that they took the character out of the game.

And yes, Skullgirls is godlike
Ohhh, yeah, that is a really good point. You're totally right.

Emouse

After the fight on A is done I'm going to do disband the room cuz I gotta go, someone else remake pls

GGs tho guys, that sin damage is insane

Ilvocare

Just when the thread is about to implode...

Guys, I've decided to finally boot up DMC3. Here's hoping that I'll be cleansed of the permanent scar that DMC2 left on me.

Anung

Un Rama
I feel bad for RAD. Little birdy tells me that basically nearly all promotion for the order to the usual places is being ignored to instead focus on Bloodborne, a game by a third party that unfortunately shares a way more interesting version of the same setting and is the sequel to a cult classic.

When they announced the release date I did think it was moronic and should be as far away from the superior Bloodborne as possible.

I think both sides are just as bad. Basically haters who won't accept positives and defenders who wont accept negatives. I'm somewhere in the middle. Optimistic. Its a nice looking game with a great setting. I'll be happy with a solid campaign with horror vibes. I don't think every game needs to set the world on fire or be IGN10/10. I'll probably beast it then sell it on.

I'd also rather have a well paced 7-9 hour experience than a forced 15 hour+ that out stays its welcome.

Emouse

Flying enemies in dd are the worst. All of em. Griffins, cockatrice, drakes, and especially fucking wyverns. What a bunch a assholes.

I always found the cockatrice to be the worst, mainly due to the petrification, but yeah it really depends on what class you are too I think

What episodes did you miss?
I only caught bits and pieces of anything after the Loli and the Tentacles happened. The two part episode mystery I saw most of.
NO! Is it possible to check the rest with someone else who might have missed it on the instasynch site?
Also, If possible, let's start a liiitle bit earlier due to timezone differences. I heard you guys were done at 5 a.m (my local time).
We should probably start about 1PM EST.
Alright Goron link is amazing with updated graphics
Lol

I always found the cockatrice to be the worst, mainly due to the petrification, but yeah it really depends on what class you are too I think
Assassin, so at least i have a bow. Doesn't change the fact they're assholes though.

And petrifaction's the worst status ever. I hate that those gargoyles can inflict it regularly.

Kind of had a big realization after laughing about The Order.

Seeing how StarFox U is one of my most anticipated games of the year, if they just recreate the StarFox 64 arcadeyness of 15-20 levels, I would gladly shell out $60 for that. The game being fun and endlessly replayable is what would be my hook.

I suppose thats what sets The Order apart from other shorter games: replayability

Kind of had a big realization after laughing about The Order.

Seeing how StarFox U is one of my most anticipated games of the year, if they just recreate the StarFox 64 arcadeyness of 15-20 levels, I would gladly shell out $60 for that. The game being fun and endlessly replayable is what would be my hook.

I suppose thats what sets The Order apart from other shorter games: replayability

Ding ding ding we have a winner.

Emouse

Assassin, so at least i have a bow. Doesn't change the fact they're assholes though.

And petrifaction's the worst status ever. I hate that those gargoyles can inflict it regularly.

Yeah if you don't have a bow it's way more of a slog, and yeah IIRC petrification is almost instant which suuuucks

Top Bottom