• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 13: "The Storm Has Come And So Have I" 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2

So there's a 5 hour playthrough of The Order online. That basically means that the game is 8 hours long if you play it "normally" and supposedly it's lousy with unskippable cutscenes, maybe like 30-40% of the entire game. Barf.

Yeah guy who uploaded it says its about 2.5 - 3 hours worth of actual gameplay.

Shackzam

What consoles do ya'll own?

I got:

Nintendo Wii
Nintendo Wii U
Playstation 3

I have an OG Xbox at my mom's place but no cables for it :(

I would hope so after how much they marketed that feature :p
PS3
PS4
PS2
PS1
Xbone
Xbox360
Og xbox
Gamecube
Super Nintendo
NES
Dreamcast
Sega genesis
Sega Saturn
Wii
Wii U
PC
OG Pong somewhere in my house and maybe a few other systems.

I'm sure that's a lot dumber in context, but I don't really see the problem there. As long as you know what you're buying and you're happy with it, go ahead.

I'm kinda anti-"games as a product" though. It's more about what the game is like once I have it over the length and the cost in terms of "value" or whatever.

Now does 3 hours of gameplay makes a good game even with that mindset? ehhhh

sjay1994

Thats why I canceled my pre order (only pre ordered it, because I had money left over from my bloodborne CE)

I am not spending 80 bucks (games in canada are 69.99 + tax), for something that is only 5-6 hours.

Also, I watched the first hour of the game. There are people in GAF bullshiting that its opening is better than TLOU. Its not.

ywcmso.PNG

aPaYUXw.jpg

I'm sure that's a lot dumber in context, but I don't really see the problem there. As long as you know what you're buying and you're happy with it, go ahead.

I'm kinda anti-"games as a product" though. It's more about what the game is like once I have it over the length and the cost in terms of "value" or whatever.

It's the whole mindset of it all. That this is okay. I can't fathom to think about spending $60 on an interactive movie. That's just nuts.

We keep getting really close right when I'm about to get Dinner. I'm convinced you all want to starve me.
Git Gud and have them all planned out tho

No offense, but everything is a product. Anything you spend money on. Either that or a service. If you take that to the logical extreme, if the game you buy for 100 bucks only has a single level but its the best level ever and takes you 15 minutes to beat, then that's okay by you? It's absurd. Same thing with a 15 dollar album with 2 tracks, or a fucking shit 3d movie that charges you twice as much as normal.

Xiraiya

Sure, but when people try to say it deserves a portion of it and give reasons you pulled out of discussing it. Of course, you don't have to defend your opinion, I'm just wondering why state it and then not do so.

Well I made my point and moved on, I don't care about SAO enough to get into a discussion about the details of it, it was more of an observation more than anything, people can disagree if they like, but it is what it is.

Tako

So there's a 5 hour playthrough of The Order online. That basically means that the game is 8 hours long if you play it "normally" and supposedly it's lousy with unskippable cutscenes, maybe like 30-40% of the entire game. Barf.

Yo nerd wanna join in on Xrd shenanigans?

sjay1994

No offense, but everything is a product. Anything you spend money on. Either that or a service. If you take that to the logical extreme, if the game you buy for 100 bucks only has a single level but its the best level ever and takes you 15 minutes to beat, then that's okay by you? It's absurd. Same thing with a 15 dollar album with 2 tracks, or a fucking shit 3d movie that charges you twice as much as normal.

Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't really agree with that since I do find most games replayable, and typically for me 10-12 hours of playtime warrant the 80 bucks it costs to buy a new game in Canada.

But the order looks like it has absolutely no real replay ability.

It's the whole mindset of it all. That this is okay. I can't fathom to think about spending $60 on an interactive movie. That's just nuts.
Yup, and it's totally fine for people to be like "Nah, fuck that, it's not worth it", but it doesn't reflect on the quality of the thing itself. I certainly don't care if people think it's dumb to spend that much, feel free, but it doesn't mean the thing itself is bad.

I separate the game as a product from the game as entertainment in my judgement.

Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't really agree with that since I do find most games replayable, and typically for me 10-12 hours of playtime warrant the 80 bucks it costs to buy a new game in Canada.

But the order looks like it has absolutely no real replay ability.

Well, replay value is definitely a factor and differs based on each person, so you're not actually disagreeing with me. You just find more value than the average person in many genres and types of games.

I don't mean to be rude here, and please feel free to tell me to fuck off if I'm out of line. But I'm curious. You ever been poor? Like, in which buying a game is an extravagant expense? And you can only get say...2 a year? Or how bout, if that's too personal, when you were a kid, how many games could you get? I got 4 a year. I saved up for 2 and got one for christmas and birthday. I remember buying some games and blowing through them in a single afternoon and being disappointed as all fucking god damn hell. Gerstman talks about spending 80 dollars on Strider and beating it in like 3 hours and how he had to save for months for it. Because that perspective is one that doesn't really value money.

Aaaaaand it's lost me. Shit. I was hoping this would be the kind of game I bought two months from now when I saw it on the PSN store and got a craving for a good shooter..

But is that any worse than a 20+ hour boring experience? Extending the length of the game artificially with mediocre content just so people go "oh this game is long, so its worth the money" is even worse and absurd.

Obviously, there needs to be a balance. You can't put something out there for 100 bucks thats amazing and 15 minutes long, but its not any worse than putting out a boring 40 hour experience.

sjay1994

Well, replay value is definitely a factor and differs based on each person, so you're not actually disagreeing with me. You just find more value than the average person in many genres and types of games.

Thats true.

I think I spent maybe 20-25 hours playing Ground Zeroes. I normally buy games day 1, but the order in terms of value doesn't seem like its worth it, which is a rare case with me.

Also, I do agree with you that Bloodborne completely overshadows the order, because it takes that London aesthetic that I normally find boring, and added gothic horror, which makes the setting so much more appealing, more so than the souls games ever did.

Yup, and it's totally fine for people to be like "Nah, fuck that, it's not worth it", but it doesn't reflect on the quality of the thing itself. I certainly don't care if people think it's dumb to spend that much, feel free, but it doesn't mean the thing itself is bad.

I separate the game as a product from the game as entertainment in my judgement.

I guess so. I just don't see the value of it even as I watched someone play through it. Sure it's an interactive medium but it doesn't look particularly interesting or fun to me.

But is that any worse than a 20+ hour boring experience? Extending the length of the game artificially with mediocre content just so people go "oh this game is long, so its worth the money" is even worse and absurd.

Not really. The argument is that a good developer should be able to do both. Remember RE4? Hell remember Dead Space 1 and 2? Uncharted 2? Gears of War 1 and 3? Theyr'e all int he same genre and either have campaigns more than twice as long, rife with replay value and extra modes, or in the case of Uncharted and Gears, have great multiplayer modes. Your argument is technically true but ultimately worthless. A game should have value. Where that comes from, that's up to the dev. But you shouldn't beat a game and feel ripped off.

Numb

Order being so short makes it easier not to get it
Will play when cheaper.
I was hyped for the victorian stuff but Bloodborne has that on lock

Order being so short makes it easier not to get it
Will play when cheaper.
I was hyped for the victorian stuff but Bloodborne has that on lock

The comparison to BB is even more unfavourable to the order due to this. BB has a way longer campaign, is more visually interesting and does more new things than just a shooter, plus it has multiplayer and co-op, NG+ and a replay value based series of randomized dungeons. Unless Order is the greatest game ever and BB fucking botches it, when similar qualities are at play then the value proposition becomes obvious and absurd.

I don't mean to be rude here, and please feel free to tell me to fuck off if I'm out of line. But I'm curious. You ever been poor? Like, in which buying a game is an extravagant expense? And you can only get say...2 a year? Or how bout, if that's too personal, when you were a kid, how many games could you get? I got 4 a year. I saved up for 2 and got one for christmas and birthday. I remember buying some games and blowing through them in a single afternoon and being disappointed as all fucking god damn hell. Gerstman talks about spending 80 dollars on Strider and beating it in like 3 hours and how he had to save for months for it. Because that perspective is one that doesn't really value money.
That does complicate things a bit. When I was a kid I basically only bought used games, and they were usually PS2 shovelware I found for $5 or whatever. I'd see new releases pass me by all the time.

The big difference today is if you want a game that has a longer "entertainment value", you can just look up how long it takes to beat something and just not get that game. I see it as a choice to buy a game like that. You can read tons of impressions and info about games today, unlike back before the internet blew up.

It's important information, for sure, when you're limited by budget but it's just separate from quality. I do always praise a game that keeps its quality up for a long time, though.
I guess so. I just don't see the value of it even as I watched someone play through it. Sure it's an interactive medium but it doesn't look particularly interesting or fun to me.
If you're just not interested in the game that's fine.

sjay1994

I could never tell you to fuck off Pat.

I totally understand the if you could buy 2 games a year argument, because as a kid thats usually what I could afford, and I usually fucked that up as a kid and bought sonic games. But then again, I was a dumb kid and would reject the fact I felt disappointed.

Now a days, games are the only real pleasure thing I buy, I usually have some money in the bank for a game, and I usually trade it in after I finish it and move onto something new.

I am still relatively poor as a university student, because I keep getting random hunger pangs, and I spend a lot of money on food.

semisonic

Banned
What consoles do ya'll own?

I got:

Nintendo Wii
Nintendo Wii U
Playstation 3

I have an OG Xbox at my mom's place but no cables for it :(

I would hope so after how much they marketed that feature :p

N64
Gamecube
Wii
Wii U
OG Xbox
Xbox360
Ps2
Ps3
GBC
GBA
GBASP
DS
DSi
busted3DS
n3DS
Vita TV
Retron 5
I never sell anything

Also Woo! I made it back before the thread ended
First time!

Numb

The comparison to BB is even more unfavourable to the order due to this. BB has a way longer campaign, is more visually interesting and does more new things than just a shooter, plus it has multiplayer and co-op, NG+ and a replay value based series of randomized dungeons. Unless Order is the greatest game ever and BB fucking botches it, when similar qualities are at play then the value proposition becomes obvious and absurd.

The shortness would be ok if every second was very tight but i dont think so.
For me i would get an FPS/TPS game i was on the fence on if it had co-op. I had fun with the Army of two games and FE3R and even a bunch of twin stick shooters. Alienation is looking good.
But i love the Victorian setting too much and will get it later.

sjay1994

Paid dlc characters in a fighting game should be illegal.

Honestly, I rarely buy DLC for games. The only ones that come to mind are just expansions like undead nightmare, blood dragon and me fucking up and buying the AC: Unity season pass for China.

Usually because I feel like I have played the game enough, and don't want to shell out more money for more of the thing I was playing for a while.

... wait, I also fucked up with Destiny.

Not really. The argument is that a good developer should be able to do both. Remember RE4? Hell remember Dead Space 1 and 2? Uncharted 2? Gears of War 1 and 3? Theyr'e all int he same genre and either have campaigns more than twice as long, rife with replay value and extra modes, or in the case of Uncharted and Gears, have great multiplayer modes. Your argument is technically true but ultimately worthless. A game should have value. Where that comes from, that's up to the dev. But you shouldn't beat a game and feel ripped off.

I don't really think the idea of "the game is a product" is up to the devs though. The devs job is to make an entertaining game. Its really up to the producers and/or the publisher to see how much the game should cost relative to the content and the actual cost of development in order to make a profit.

But you're right that its a pointless argument. Buyers are always going to generally see a 20+ hour game as the better value no matter how mediocre the content might be (unless the game itself is just awful). Its why something like Assassin's Creed will always sell millions at full price.

The thing is, I would have loved to be proved wrong about the game. I wish it was an epic game that had amazing gameplay and tons of replay value. I plan on most likely getting a PS4 in the future and it's a shame that this game isn't more than a few interactions with collectibles, a couple of shootouts and dull QTE's.

croten

Honestly, I rarely buy DLC for games. The only ones that come to mind are just expansions like undead nightmare, blood dragon and me fucking up and buying the AC: Unity season pass for China.

Usually because I feel like I have played the game enough, and don't want to shell out more money for more of the thing I was playing for a while.

... wait, I also fucked up with Destiny.

Blood dragon isn't DLC

That does complicate things a bit. When I was a kid I basically only bought used games, and they were usually PS2 shovelware I found for $5 or whatever. I'd see new releases pass me by all the time.

The big difference today is if you want a game that has a longer "entertainment value", you can just look up how long it takes to beat something and just not get that game. I see it as a choice to buy a game like that. You can read tons of impressions and info about games today, unlike back before the internet blew up.

It's important information, for sure, when you're limited by budget but it's just separate from quality. I do always praise a game that keeps its quality up for a long time, though.

So in that case, would you say it's the kind of thing where you'd say "Play it, it's good. But don't pay anything more than 20 bucks for it. Wait for a sale." Because then we'd basically line up.

Numb

Paid dlc characters in a fighting game should be illegal.

The thing i hate the most in gaming.
I would never ever buy dlc for anything except fighting game characters.
It is the most crucial thing yet they sell you some. Would prefer colors and stages that i can ignore.

semisonic

Banned

Never. I've been a university student with 1000 dollars for the year, but that's the worst it's ever gotten.
I generally try to conserve money by basically only buying pre-owned and on sales, even though I know the pre owned market is a blight on the game industry, unless its one of the like 5 games on the level of xenoblade x, smash, zelda, peronsa, or whatever that I feel I need to buy day 1. It's all about priorities for me.

But like sjay, the only things I ever buy that aren't games are the very rare artbook and the less rare ost, and I constantly stay up to date on the games that are coming out so I can plan the exact amounts of money I can spend the rest of the year.

My only big thing is that I refuse to ever pirate a game. As someone looking to get into the industry, I kinda feel it's the least I can do.

Top Bottom