• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 14: Sacrifice your life for more posts in the thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xiraiya

This reminded me, are the crunchyroll subs good or do they take a lot of liberties? It's a little weird to see them call Hasegawa Taizou/MADAO a DORK in the subs. I guess it's a joke that only really works in Japanese so MADAO is the acronym, but it throws me off and makes me wonder if there's other liberties taken that diminish little bits of the show.

MADAO is the only thing I've noticed, I've watched the entire series right through on Crunchyroll, CR subs are generally about as accurate as any fansubs, I don't know what harm it would have been to just call him MADAO, but the DORK variant is still an Acronym which ends up roughly being similar, it's just DORK sounds dumber in English to us.

Hasegawa's nickname in the Japanese manga is Madao. MADAO, short for marude damena ossan (まるでダメなオッさん) , which roughly translates into "totally hopeless old guy"
In the English translation made by VIZ, it's changed into DORK (Dumb Old Retarded Kook)

It's honestly a pretty good attempt at translating the joke considering the idea is that it's suppose to be really bad to be called that, and would also make sense for a kid like Kagura to come up with it.

I don't disagree

Fanboy tantrums are highly amusing. Especially how most of The Order: 1886's PR has been a nightmare which implies that the game was probably going to disappoint.

I am that thing on Star Trek the original series that feeds on salt

PR has very little to do with why that game disappointed. The game disappointed because the game isn't good.

mike0dude

CM9tRQJ.jpg
It's kinda depressing how console fanboys are grasping at straw for excuses these days.

Was this one over hyped too? I didn't follow it much, but i think i remember tons a hype earlier. Could be wrong though.

That's the funny thing about it, as the hype on the game was tepid. The disappointing trailers and PR didn't help, but in all honestly, the game never looked that interesting, and Sony didn't do much favors in trying to push it.

Was this one over hyped too? I didn't follow it much, but i think i remember tons a hype earlier. Could be wrong though.

A PR nightmare is the guys from Ubisoft coming out and saying "who cares about resolution when the game looks nice" and parity because "we want to avoid the debates and stuff" and that super long letter they sent to GiantBomb.

There wasn't much hype coming from RAD. Obviously they were excited that they made the game and shipped it (and honestly when its a year-2 year project, why wouldn't you be unless you know its a piece of garbage) so they celebrated, but the reason the Order got so much talk is because the game was talked about being cinematic and you know how well that word is received on GAF.

Of course, when the game got so much talk of being garbage, that's when RAD started lashing out by calling the internet bullies and that's when it really started falling apart. But the game not being good pretty much justifies the complaints people had going in to it.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
It's kinda depressing how console fanboys are grasping at straw for excuses these days.

Is it really console fanboys? That picture is a play on poor rationalizing PR statements that are so common in damage control these days. RAD's PR is a mess right now. Every statement they make digs themselves deeper.

That's the funny thing about it, as the hype on the game was tepid. The disappointing trailers and PR didn't help, but in all honestly, the game never looked that interesting, and Sony didn't do much favors in trying to push it.

They probably didn't want to lose the money they invested into pushing this game out to PS4 owners.

Funny, this dev worked on Okami for the Wii.

Okay. So where's the disappointment coming from? Cause the way it seems to me at least this was doomed to be average at best. Is it just sony fanboys wanting everything to be the greatest ever?

PR has very little to do with why that game disappointed. The game disappointed because the game isn't good.

The PR being statements about how gameplay was secondary and the PR people constantly backpedaling or them claiming that people were being too critical should have been a sign that the game was not going to be great.

Skrams

It's honestly a pretty good attempt at translating the joke considering the idea is that it's suppose to be really bad to be called that, and would also make sense for a kid like Kagura to come up with it.

If that's the only major thing then that's pretty alright. It's still a little weird when there is actual imagery saying Madao, but I'll get over it.

I'm gonna watch the first 14 episodes of SAO in preparation for saturday. Hope you guys are ready for a bunch of posts about that.

It's a bit saddening how many people have now watched SAO just because of the group watch.

I can't watch youtube at school, it's blocked. Could you tell me what happens in the video?

It's a short documentary on a colombian drug that is easily obtained, easily slipped, and makes a person lose control of their free will for a few hours. You can then have them do anything you want them to do. So everything you would expect.

Also my new 3DS arrived. Time to slap the screen protector on then nap because whatever.

They probably didn't want to lose the money they invested into pushing this game out to PS4 owners.

The game is going to sell good numbers, still. I don't see it reaching Pachter's retarded 5 million mark, but the game is still a visually beautiful, AAA game on a console starved of them. A million, easy.

The PR being statements about how gameplay was secondary and the PR people constantly backpedaling or them claiming that people were being too critical should have been a sign that the game was not going to be great.

But again, that has very little to do with why the game disappointed. The PR is just why people were more cynical going into it. Unless PR told the devs to do something different or the PR hyped the shit out of it, it wasn't gonna be anymore or less disappointing,

The game is going to sell good numbers, still. I don't see it reaching Pachter's retarded 5 million mark, but the game is still a visually beautiful, AAA game on a console starved of them. A million, easy.
Isn't pachter usually fulla shit anyway? Or is that someone else? I can't remember.

I agree with this. Sony knew that the key to good sales is marker market market.

I have seen ads for The Order during TV such as a commercial break on Better Call Saul.

Wish Nintendo would do more marketing

I don't mind that this game is the Sony equivalent of Gears of War(or what they hope will be the equivalent).

The problem was releasing the game in a time where people are growing weary of Cinematic TPSs.

I agree with this. Sony knew that the key to good sales is marker market market.

I have seen ads for The Order during TV such as a commercial break on Better Call Saul.

Wish Nintendo would do more advertising

FTFY

That would mean Nintendo would have to spend money. Lord knows that they're too cheap to actually do this.

Nordicus

I can't watch youtube at school, it's blocked. Could you tell me what happens in the video?
It's a 30+ minute documentary on the drug. Lots of interviews with people the drug was used on, and some who used it on others. Always keep your drink in your sight and and keep any pieces of paper handed out by strangers away from your face

KumaJG

They is no disappointment. More like Sony fanboys putting up their shields for a massive attack. Anything associated with Sony is just doom for a shitstorm, that just the way it is.

If that's the only major thing then that's pretty alright. It's still a little weird when there is actual imagery saying Madao, but I'll get over it.

It's a bit saddening how many people have now watched SAO just because of the group watch.

It's a short documentary on a colombian drug that is easily obtained, easily slipped, and makes a person lose control of their free will for a few hours. You can then have them do anything you want them to do. So everything you would expect.

Also my new 3DS arrived. Time to slap the screen protector on then nap because whatever.
Wow, just how common is it? It sounds like something that a criminal would love to get their hands on. Is it prevalent outside of Colombia?

It's a 30+ minute documentary on the drug. Lots of interviews with people the drug was used on, and some who used it on others. Always keep your drink in your sight and and keep any pieces of paper handed out by strangers away from your face
Alright, i'll keep that in mind if/when I go to Colombia.

I swear to god I hate the PC elitism shit so much. Not that console fanboy shit isn't stupid, as is the same with all fanboyism, but every time I hear someone say "PC Master race" un-ironically, I want to puke.
And I say this while I prefer the PC to any other console.

NOT aimed at you by the way, I just got reminded of it.

How about we don't try to do dick measuring contests over graphical fidelity anymore?

Instead let's go after Ubisoft for releasing a broken game and coming up with a 30 GB patch to fix said game.

I don't mind that this game is the Sony equivalent of Gears of War(or what they hope will be the equivalent).

The problem was releasing the game in a time where people are growing weary of Cinematic TPSs.

Wouldn't really compare it to GoW since that game also has a fantastic multiplayer to go along with its slighty above average story mode (at least 2 and 3, 1 is still really good).

I don't have a problem with the order being as short as it is, but if the content itself isn't even that good that's when its a real problem. Especially when games like MGR prove that a 5 hour game can be totally worth the 60 dollars, even without the replayability on harder difficulty and the free DLC.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
How about we don't try to do dick measuring contests over graphical fidelity anymore?

Instead let's go after Ubisoft for releasing a broken game and coming up with a 30 GB patch to fix said game.

What does that have to do with PC gaming? The advantages/disadvantages of PC gaming extend far beyond that of mere graphical fidelity.

No, but graphics are the only thing that matters!

I hate that shit so much. I'd much rather play a well made game that's interesting but ugly than some artist's wet dream with no substance.

mike0dude

I swear to god I hate the PC elitism shit so much. Not that console fanboy shit isn't stupid, as is the same with all fanboyism, but every time I hear someone say "PC Master race" un-ironically, I want to puke.
And I say this while I prefer the PC to any other console.

NOT aimed at you by the way, I just got reminded of it.

I'm not talking about people who just like to play games on console , I don't give a fuck about that really but the uneducated ones that keep spouting nonsense about how consoles are better just urk me.
But yeah the PCmaster race is super far up their own asshole, but I think its more tongue in cheek than anything else.

What does that have to do with PC gaming? The advantages/disadvantages of PC gaming extend far beyond that of mere graphical fidelity.

The common argument I hear for PC gaming is graphical fidelity.
The resulting arguments for/against PC gaming result in flame wars that do nothing but create more animosity.

What I'm essentially saying: I'd rather argue about the inability of devs and publishers to release a finished product than the pro & cons of PC/Console/Handheld/mobile gaming.

Wouldn't really compare it to GoW since that game also has a fantastic multiplayer to go along with its slighty above average story mode (at least 2 and 3, 1 is still really good).

I don't have a problem with the order being as short as it is, but if the content itself isn't even that good that's when its a real problem. Especially when games like MGR prove that a 5 hour game can be totally worth the 60 dollars, even without the replayability on harder difficulty and the free DLC.

For all of the shooting, it didn't make sense that The Order didn't include some form of MP to extend the life of the game.

No, but graphics are the only thing that matters!
I hate that shit so much. I'd much rather play a well made game that's interesting but ugly than some artist's wet dream with no substance.
That's absurd! Trying to fight shitty business practices rather than each other about the most insignificant of things, while also simultaneously jerking off everyone who belongs in the same group as you do?
You need to stop coming up with such radical ideas, we don't like that shit around here. What am I supposed to do if not endlessly rub my nipples and talk about how much superior my choice is on gaming forums? Play or discuss games and other things with friends and make use of the things that your platform brings, regardless of how much more or less options it may have? Blasphemy!

(´・ω・`)

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
What I'm essentially saying: I'd rather argue about the inability of devs and publishers to release a finished product than the pro & cons of PC/Console/Handheld/mobile gaming.

There just seems to be a lot of random lashing out about completely unrelated things. It's not either or. These concepts aren't mutually exclusive. And a community isn't a hivemind. There are hundreds of simultaneous active discussions on a messageboard at the same time.

The only discussion not worth having is one that propagates ignorance.

Ilvocare

Drink water and sleep my friend.

Hope ya feel better.

Sounds like you may be dehydrated or your blood sugar may be really low. Drink a lot of water and eat something.

Here's the thing: I lost it literally 5 minutes after eating lunch yesterday. So I went back to the house and slept. Woke up at night, did homework, back to sleep. Woke up TODAY, it's still there.

I'm drinking a glass of water now, hope this works.

For all of the shooting, it didn't make sense that The Order didn't include some form of MP to extend the life of the game.

Honestly if they were gonna add more to the game, make a better SP before you add some MP. According to Jeff, apparently in story mode (minor spoilers)
the game's main plot isn't even fully resolved and it just kind of ends.

Village

Yo bruh, tagentally related because of woolie.

Yo i'm watching this weeks co optional podcast.

Total buiscuit is going off on a bunch of new sites.

My man got them 1920's British villain/ Dick Dastardly death threats, he threatening to throw dudes down wells and shit

My man got them 1920's British villain/ Dick Dastardly death threats, he threatening to throw dudes down wells and shit
Total biscuit rants endlessly about something, in other news the sun is hot

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Honestly if they were gonna add more to the game, make a better SP before you add some MP. According to Jeff, apparently in story mode (minor spoilers)

Yeah, I've never been about hamfisting MP into a game, and for a game that allegedly has such a focus on creating a new and engaging narrative, they really should have worked on creating a full experience in at least that facet before spreading themselves thin.

Wait, like
sequel bait or just nothing?
Did he say?

Jman014

I want TB to do more Hearthstone videos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom