• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 14: Sacrifice your life for more posts in the thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright last day before the final boss of Persona 3. Did I over do it?

kVEUSDV.jpg

Finished everyone's S-Link besides Yukari (Rank 9), Mitsuru (Rank 1) and haven't even started Fuka's or Aegis's one. Gonna save beating the game until tomorrow when I have more time.
Also finished the Fate route for FSN if anyone cares.

Shackzam

I just don't like their existence inherently.
I like it as a way for new players to just mash some shit and do something cool. They don't matter as much in the long run. The only reason they semi matter in Ultimax is because you get some extra meter when you do them.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Why's that?

I don't think there should be any reward for pressing a single button repeatedly. I guess I'm old school, but I think people should learn their combos to do something interesting, or learn their motions to do specials and supers.

I like it as a way for new players to just mash some shit and do something cool. They don't matter as much in the long run. The only reason they semi matter in Ultimax is because you get some extra meter when you do them.

They're largely irrelevant at any intermediate level of play, but I just don't like them in principle.

No I meant the A>A>A>A>A>A>A combo would just be an A>B>C>SP>Super combo

Yeah, that's what I'm referring to.

croten

I don't think there should be any reward for pressing a single button repeatedly. I guess I'm old school, but I think people should learn their combos to do something interesting, or learn their motions to do specials and supers.

Aren't auto combos always weaker than they would be normally and really easy to punish?

Maybe if the auto-combo never mixes up the hits. Otherwise the opponent has to get good at learning to block, which is a different kind of reward

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Aren't auto combos always weaker than they would be normally an really easy to punish?

They're generally weaker and not optimized, but they're not always easy to punish. There are plenty of safe autocombos as long as you stop early.

Maybe if the auto-combo never mixes up the hits. Otherwise the opponent has to get good at learning to block, which is a different kind of reward

Autocombos aren't a mix-up tool. They're just raw damage capitalization off of a hit or a simple blockstring.

He doesn't like accessibility. It's why he hates DmC: because the colour-coded enemies make it super easy to get into

I'm not even sure where your jabs are trying to come from here- That I'm elitist, that I dislike DmC for superficial reasons, or that color coded enemies are good game design.

Alright, Uniel finally bought, but it's going to take me a couple more hours to download it, so see you guys tonight.
Weirdly huge discount for PS+ with that game, I decided to buy a months worth for it and still was less money than buying it straight.
I decided to not watch the movie because of the ending of the main show. It just didn't feel right.

Edit: Ah, too late I see. All right, good night.

Eh, maybe give it some time, but watch it eventually. It's set before the ending, and plays like a regular episode of the show. There's no continuity or plot ruining going on, it's just more Bebop.

Zenfalcia

Going through the backlog... Sleeping late is pretty bad... Luckily I haven't missed any finals. I did forget about a final one day, luckily i woke up 2 hours before it and got there ontime... Speaking of which, i have a midterm tomorrow that i should study for.

Okingjrr

Hey guys.
Just came back from watching Big Hero 6, and boy did I hate the shit out of that movie until the thing happened --> Run of the mill cliché set-up. I only started appreciating the film like 30 minutes after it started. Other than that it was alright. I did love the whole
Stan Lee
thing they had.

Has that ever happened to you guys? Where you just hate everything about the beginning of a movie then something just makes it click and you proceed to enjoy it?

Autocombos aren't a mix-up tool. They're just raw damage capitalization off of a hit or a simple blockstring.

Yu's auto-combo in Arena (not Ultimax) chains into his slide special, which teaches new players to block low. That's what I meant by mixing up the hits; it's making new players appreciate the value of blocking high/low.

I'm not even sure where your jabs are trying to come from here- That I'm elitist, that I dislike DmC for superficial reasons, or that color coded enemies are good game design.

And you say auto-combos aren't mix-up tools

Shackzam

They're generally weaker and not optimized, but they're not always easy to punish. There are plenty of safe autocombos as long as you stop early.

Auto combos are usually punishable after a certain point obviously, but when you have some one commits to that auto combo, you get a guaranteed punish. I treat the beginning pat as a block attic and not as a auto combo going through. They are way weaker in punishing stuff and if you were to lose to that, that person is probably bad at blocking. I'm not saying there good or bad, but there a good starting point for people new to this game. Plus there are way more creative shit you can do besides the auto combo.

I'm not sure I understand why you don't like them since they aren't too relevant after a certain point.

Okingjrr

Man, I always miss Jman's giveaways.I either close the page and go off to do something or come back a few seconds too late.
Life really is strange.

Xiraiya

Bragging about getting a 100% on an exam that most of class bombed is extremely douchey

Well they should have done better.
Rubbing it in their faces is in poor taste though, yes.

Personally I prefer to quietly enjoy my victories.

That's like every single german test in my class. I speak fluently german, and I sometimes feel bad about doing good on those exams :/
You should never feel bad, instead use your prowess to help others if the opportunity arises.

They're largely irrelevant at any intermediate level of play, but I just don't like them in principle.

Yeah, that's what I'm referring to.

I would never have gotten past the threshold of fighters without P4A and it's autocombos. It let me get aclimated to the speed of the combat, and allowed me to git gud.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Yu's auto-combo in Arena (not Ultimax) chains into his slide special, which teaches new players to block low. That's what I meant by mixing up the hits; it's making new players appreciate the value of blocking high/low.

That's not a mix-up tool. An autocombo can't be a mix-up tool by definition because it's the same thing every time. A mix-up forces you into a 50-50 situation, it doesn't force you to block the same way every time. I'm not sure how auto-combos benefit your opponent any more than a regular blockstring, or adds value in any way.

And you say auto-combos aren't mix-up tools

Well, I was more saying that the lack of focus in your attack makes it pretty much without substance. If you actually have substance, I'd be happy to address it.

Oberon

Banned
What like a birth certificate?

Those things where you need to tip in those letter and/or numbers. So that they avoid bots
Funny thing, there two ways of writing my name, and the one written on my birth certificate is different from the one in my ID.
And in that "verifiy that you're not a bot thingy" that every site has now, it was written like in my birth certificate.

Didn't do Aigis, smh. I had Odin too though.
Managing multiple waifus is time consuming
No Hama/Mudo immunity? Fail
I have tons of homoculuses, it's fiiiine
YEAH! How'd you like the ending?
The end part was done sooo much better than what I anticipated, I didn't leave disappointed at all. It got really good after
Shirou finds the underground basement in the church to find the rotting yet still alive children from the orphanage

Ultimax story Spoilers

Just defeated Hi-No-Kagutsuchi. What kind of horse shit was that. There was absolutely no indication that any of my attacks were even damaging the damn thing. For most of the battle i assumed i was supposed to lose to it because it seemed invincible. That's no way to design an enemy that's suppose to be beatable, yet i just seemed to win randomly with a random normal. Worst boss I've ever seen in a fighting game. This especially urks me because i'm going to be graduating with a Bachelor's Degree in Game Programming in 4 weeks.
Yeah its terrible. I had such a hard time doing it the first time when I changed the AI difficulty since I actually wanted a challange. I had to change it back for that fight.
Alright last day before the final boss of Persona 3. Did I over do it?
NoLastSkill/10
I think you'll be fine tho. I'd have a persona dealing physical damage just in case.

I'm not sure I understand why you don't like them since they aren't too relevant after a certain point.

I think he just wants people to get good. Like not even saying this as a joke, actually get good by learning how things work off the bat instead of having something do it for you and show you. I think auto combos should just be able to be turned off and there should be an option to play with people who also have if turned on/off

croten

The end part was done sooo much better than what I anticipated, I didn't leave disappointed at all. It got really good after
Shirou finds the underground basement in the church to find the rotting yet still alive children from the orphanage

Yeah that ending really gave me the feels. Unlimited Blade Works is much better overall but I honestly prefer Fate just because of how the ending got me.

Zenfalcia

I think he just wants people to get good. Like not even saying this as a joke, actually get good by learning how things work off the bat instead of having something do it for you and show you. I think auto combos should just be able to be turned off and there should be an option to play with people who also have if turned on/off
Problem is that parts of the auto-combo are used in actual combos. So you can't really turn them off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom