• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 14: Sacrifice your life for more posts in the thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emouse

I also dislike P4As auto combos and it's the main reason I never play the game, I get that it's supposed to be accessible/controller friendly but for me personally I'd prefer it to just be another normal button, if there was an option to turn it off that'd be fine

Also I tend to mash buttons which ends up locking me in the combo which I hate, I did learn to use it like a combo opener tho, using the first three hits as auto normals and then doing my own thing for the rest of it

Zenfalcia

And no way of nullifying status effects. Have fun using your healing items on the enemy while you make kissy faces at them 'cause you're fucking charmed
He should just get anti-charm accessories, it makes it a lot easier.
I do have one, I follow like 90% of the people on here
Even better, so you'd be posting on twitter instead of here.
I also dislike P4As auto combos and it's the main reason I never play the game, I get that it's supposed to be accessible/controller friendly but for me personally I'd prefer it to just be another normal button, if there was an option to turn it off that'd be fine

Also I tend to mash buttons which ends up locking me in the combo which I hate, I did learn to use it like a combo opener tho, using the first three hits as auto normals and then doing my own thing for the rest of it
Git gud and don't mash.

That's not a mix-up tool. An autocombo can't be a mix-up tool by definition because it's the same thing every time. A mix-up forces you into a 50-50 situation, it doesn't force you to block the same way every time. I'm not sure how auto-combos benefit your opponent any more than a regular blockstring, or adds value in any way.

And because it's not a 50/50 guess, the new player opponent needs to learn the value of blocking low on the slide in the middle of the auto-combo. That's what I'm getting at. The lack of guesswork in the combo makes it a learning tool in it's predictability

Shackzam

I think he just wants people to get good. Like not even saying this as a joke, actually get good by learning how things work off the bat instead of having something do it for you and show you. I think auto combos should just be able to be turned off and there should be an option to play with people who also have if turned on/off
Well they'll learn to Git gud after that shit doesn't work at most opponents. It's to give them false hope of doing the cool things and more of figuring out on how to do even cooler things. Auto combos are a stepping stone that leads you to an even bigger stone.

I think he just wants people to get good. Like not even saying this as a joke, actually get good by learning how things work off the bat instead of having something do it for you and show you. I think auto combos should just be able to be turned off and there should be an option to play with people who also have if turned on/off

I'm gonna say I like autocombos, because they make learning a character not feel like such a steep climb, and they make playing casuals way more fun.

360pages

Auto Combos are since fighting games can be seen as super niche in the first place.

Also, you can transfer Pokémon from Gen 1/2 to gen 3 now since someone found a way.

I'm gonna say I like autocombos, because they make learning a character not feel like such a steep climb, and they make playing casuals way more fun.

It's the same with BlazBlue adding specials to the right stick. It makes casual play really fun to watch rather than watch people mash buttons on a charge character and do nothing visual interesting

DLC boss character

DLC bo-

ah fuck

269.png

Shackzam

No shut up tho, it's mostly because I get too hype/jittery and end up hitting the same button twice or flubbing inputs, w/e I'll just continue my path to be the ultimate scrub
That's when you look like a genius when you don't hit a button when you're in those high tension situations.

Well they'll learn to Git gud after that shit doesn't work at most opponents. It's to give them false hope of doing the cool things and more of figuring out on how to do even cooler things. Auto combos are a stepping stone that leads you to an even bigger stone.
No I know, I was just saying what his logic might be, I don't really have a problem with them.
Yeah I did it to see what it was and I was like "Oh it's just ABC rekka super, cool." Then I started messing around more and found out HOLY SHIT ALMOST EVERYTHING CHAINS

Yeah its terrible. I had such a hard time doing it the first time when I changed the AI difficulty since I actually wanted a challange. I had to change it back for that fight.

NoLastSkill/10
I think you'll be fine tho. I'd have a persona dealing physical damage just in case.
Got the physical attacker covered
Created Odin without the intention of using him until I realized how good he was, so I messed up with no last skill.

Yeah that ending really gave me the feels. Unlimited Blade Works is much better overall but I honestly prefer Fate just because of how the ending got me.
The UBW movie left a bad taste in my mouth, now it's up to the VN and anime to fix that, speaking of, up to where the UBW anime is now, would you say it's better to watch it or go through the VN? (I'm still gonna finish the VN regardless)

Auto combos just feel like the fighting game equivalent to Automatic Transmission in arcade racers. You can take that for what you will, be it good or bad, but knowing me I sure as hell am going manual.

Besides, I have more issues with stuff like Negative Penalty or SG's anti-infinite combo system in principle than I do auto combos.

croten

Got the physical attacker covered
Created Odin without the intention of using him until I realized how good he was, so I messed up with no last skill.

The UBW movie left a bad taste in my mouth, now it's up to the VN and anime to fix that, speaking of, up to where the UBW anime is now, would you say it's better to watch it or go through the VN? (I'm still gonna finish the VN regardless)

I'd say go through the VN first, by the time you finish it you'll want to see the hype fights to get animated. You saw the movie though? That's ruff

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
And because it's not a 50/50 guess, the new player opponent needs to learn the value of blocking low on the slide in the middle of the auto-combo. That's what I'm getting at. The lack of guesswork in the combo makes it a learning tool in it's predictability

I think part of my problem with this "pro" for autocombos is that someone learning to block shouldn't be against someone mashing A. It should be for someone reading and anticipating the motives of your opponent and reacting accordingly. I'm not seeing how Yu's autocombo is any more beneficial than someone ending their blockstring in a sweep in any other fighting game.

In Yu's blockstring, he does the same thing over and over, so you adapt and you learn to block a computer generated combo. How is this better than you learning to block a human generated combo? Even worse, it gives the Yu a low hitting attack without giving him knowledge on why it's important.

Auto combos are usually punishable after a certain point obviously, but when you have some one commits to that auto combo, you get a guaranteed punish. I treat the beginning pat as a block attic and not as a auto combo going through. They are way weaker in punishing stuff and if you were to lose to that, that person is probably bad at blocking. I'm not saying there good or bad, but there a good starting point for people new to this game. Plus there are way more creative shit you can do besides the auto combo.

I'm not sure I understand why you don't like them since they aren't too relevant after a certain point.

Honestly, part of it is just my own resistance to them. I like normals to do normals, or to change via proximity. And I like creating combos from that. I don't like autocombos because they change a normal property. It's the same reason why I don't like dial-a-combos.

I just think they reward sloppy or lazy play or mashing, when nothing should ever reward sloppy or lazy mashing.

And they're totally irrelevant after a certain point. I'm not going to get mad at someone using autocombos on me or anything. I just don't like them in design or principle.

Auto combos just feel like the fighting game equivalent to Automatic Transmission in arcade racers. You can take that for what you will, be it good or bad, but knowing me I sure as hell am going manual.

Besides, I have more issues with stuff like Negative Penalty or SG's anti-infinite combo system in principle than I do auto combos.

Negative penalty is such a dumb system. I wish Arcsys would get rid off it.

Anung

Un Rama
I need to go to bed now (10:30) because I need to get up early and go to a Cat Cafe! caaatstsss

bye frondors.

EDIT:I can listen to the podcast on the train up to Edinburgh! yesss/

Just watched the newest PE and now I know how the Dark Souls guys felt. Let's make this upgraded armor and then not equip it. Still my favorite LP right now.

I'd say go through the VN first, by the time you finish it you'll want to see the hype fights to get animated. You saw the movie though? That's ruff
Will do, yea the movie was absolutely shit

I need to go to bed now (10:30) because I need to get up early and go to a Cat Cafe! caaatstsss

bye frondors.

EDIT:I can listen to the podcast on the train up to Edinburgh! yesss/
I think my cousin is going to the cat cafe too

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Negative penalty is such a dumb system. I wish Arcsys would get rid off it.

I'm also not a huge fan of this. It's the same reason why I think MK's meter building system is dumb. First hit in MK gets a stock, and then you only build meter through having your attacks connect or blocked. It rewards the aggressor and puts the defender at a complete deficit. There's no reward for defending correctly.

Playing through New Vegas has reminded me how much I love it's dlc. Dead Money, Honest Hearts, Old World Blues, and Lonesome Road are some of my favorite dlc ever, and my favorite set of dlc for a game.

croten

Playing through New Vegas has reminded me how much I love it's dlc. Dead Money, Honest Hearts, Old World Blues, and Lonesome Road are some of my favorite dlc ever, and my favorite set of dlc for a game.

I don't really like Dead Money that much and I never got very far into Honest Hearts but Old world Blues is fantastic.

I am trying to make a case to my brother for PS4 > Xbone. He is not a weeb so P5 would not interest him. So far I have:

1. Way more exclusives
2. Larger install base means more people online
3. That larger install base gets more attention from developers who will make it the priority system.

croten

I am trying to make a case to my brother for PS4 > Xbone. He is not a weeb so P5 would not interest him. So far I have:

1. Way more exclusives
3. That larger install base gets more attention from developers who will make it the priority system.

Better hardware at a cheaper price.

Shackzam

1. Way more exclusives
This is our pride street fighter 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom