• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 14: Sacrifice your life for more posts in the thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't imagine.
Cancer patient, or just girl who shaved her head?
I'm still of the opinion that the only physical thing that would be a deal breaker for me is a voice I couldn't stand.
If we're talking physical attributes, a voice is the single most important thing to me. Doesn't need to be a singing one, but at least pleasant to listen to in conversation or whatever.
Either way, I'm starting to get weirdly intent on this.
Which means it's getting to be about time for beloved to come in and tell us to stop talking about this again.

DaringImaginativeBighornedsheep.gif

Cancer patient, she was really nice, and the relationship was good.

She ended up cheating on me, so yeah that was a thing.

semisonic

Banned
Cancer patient, she was really nice, and the relationship was good.

She ended up cheating on me, so yeah that was a thing.

I'm sorry to here that.
It seems a surprising number of people here have been cheated on.
That's gotta be really rough, hope I never have to go through that. Just try not to let it affect your future relationships, I guess. Damn.

Also, unrelated, but having that pony right above that post is kind of hilarious.
lol

Anung

Un Rama
I don't mean to get real early in the day, but help me out here frienders.

Am I a bad person for not wanting to be friends anymore with a person that's so self-destructive that I worry for her well being constantly? As in it got so bad that I couldn't stop thinking about it whenever I was talking to her.

On the other hand it feels like I'm abandoning her.

You can only look out for someone up to a point before it starts to bring you down. In my experience some people just don't want to be helped. Put yourself first. I have a friend who has been on the destructive path for years and no matter what me and my mates done he just wouldn't accept our help or friendship. Its got to the stage now were his company a misery void that we avoid at all costs. We tried so hard to help him but there is only so much we could do (years)

I'm sorry to here that.
It seems a surprising number of people here have been cheated on.
That's gotta be really rough, hope I never have to go through that. Just try not to let it affect your future relationships, I guess. Damn.

Also, unrelated, but having that pony right above that post is kind of hilarious.
lol

Eh it's fine, it's just made me more intuned to when a girl will just outright lie to go do some shady bullshit.

semisonic

Banned
Eh it's fine, it's just made me more intuned to when a girl will just outright lie to go do some shady bullshit.

That's good.
I've seriously spent way too much of my life trying to think of what I would do if I ever got cheated on. Only to come to the conclusion that I'd figure it out when it happened.
There's a lot of guys who get some serious baggage from that. It's good that you came out relatively fine.

That's good.
I've seriously spent way too much of my life trying to think of what I would do if I ever got cheated on. Only to come to the conclusion that I'd figure it out when it happened.
There's a lot of guys who get some serious baggage from that. It's good that you came out relatively fine.

Oh god no I had serious baggage when I was younger, to the point where it would just outright ruin a relationship. Teenage years..they were an adventure.

I just got to the point where I just didn't give a fuck if I was single, so if a girl cheated..oh well..on to the next. It does teach you though, like mindgames in a fighting game.

If you are texting your girl and then she stops for two hours before you come over and you go over and her bed is a mess and her whole place smells like Polo..odds are there are shenanigans going on.

semisonic

Banned
Oh god no I had serious baggage when I was younger, to the point where it would just outright ruin a relationship. Teenage years..they were an adventure.

I just got to the point where I just didn't give a fuck if I was single, so if a girl cheated..oh well..on to the next. It does teach you though, like mindgames in a fighting game.

If you are texting your girl and then she stops for two hours before you come over and you go over and her bed is a mess and her whole place smells like Polo..odds are there are shenanigans going on.

Pwooph. At least you didn't walk in on them...
Man I'm not sure who's worse in that situation: The girl who cheats, or the dude who goes for her anyways knowing she's in a relationship.
They're both pretty fucking bad.

Pwooph. At least you didn't walk in on them...
Man I'm not sure who's worse in that situation: The girl who cheats, or the dude who goes for her anyways knowing she's in a relationship.
They're both pretty fucking bad.

Oh no, that didn't happen I was using that as an example, but yeah I had some shit go down that I won't go into.

They're both bad. Bad luck comes in groups of 3's though.

Hopefully it does not happen again, but if it does.

It's honestly funny if a girl cheats on you, they expect you to get all upset and shit, but when you just don't care and drop them. They get salty as a motherfucker and it is the funniest shit ever.

Am I a bad person for not wanting to be friends anymore with a person that's so self-destructive that I worry for her well being constantly? As in it got so bad that I couldn't stop thinking about it whenever I was talking to her.

How self-destructive is she and how close are you with her?

You're the only person that would be able to know if she's too stubborn to seek help for self-destructive behavior. That all really depends on the quality of your friendship.

If it's too demanding on you, then you're not a bad person to want to step away from it. If it's that bad, she needs to seek professional help.

If there's one thing I've learned in life so far it's not to be a person's only source of comfort. That's a grand road for becoming a burnt out husk of a person, because your life becomes centered around that individual and making sure they're happy.

demidar

If it's too demanding on you, then you're not a bad person to want to step away from it. If it's that bad, she needs to seek professional help.

If there's one thing I've learned in life so far it's not to be a person's only source of comfort. That's a grand road for becoming a burnt out husk of a person, because your life becomes centered around that individual and making sure they're happy.

That's how yanderes are born.

semisonic

Banned

That sounds like you've had some stories to tell.
That's how yanderes are born.
Don't tell arc.

Just to be clear, we're not friends anymore, but that's for an entirely different reason. I told her we can't be friends for a while until I got some things straight. But we left on good terms and she made it clear that she'd always be there for me when I'm ready.
Be warned that if she is like that, that is what she is going to assume.

It all comes down to how much you want her in your life, if you don't want her in it anymore then stop being friends with her. As harsh as it sounds, you're not obligated to be someones crutch when you don't want to be.
She's not like that, she's self-destructive in a way that she blames herself for everything that happens to her, which led me to spending a lot of time and energy to convince her that not everything is her fault.
Oooof.
That's a tough one.
First off, if you leave her, does she have anyone else to support her.
This is why I'm slightly concerned. She has a boyfriend who has a history of neglecting her because video games, her best friend is extremely depressed, and another friend of her's she doesn't even like. She has her parents but she doesn't tell them anything, she lied that she was happy to her psychologist(her logic is that she doesn't want to concern anyone).
How strong is your relationship with her? Long-time friends or recently met? If you've known her for a long time and are good friends you should probably try and help, and if after a good try she's still not out of her spiral then you should probably pull back. If not, then you should leave her, lest she drag you down as well.
We were friends for "only" 6 months, but we were extremely close. As in we talked almost 24/7 and did almost everything together.
You can only look out for someone up to a point before it starts to bring you down. In my experience some people just don't want to be helped. Put yourself first. I have a friend who has been on the destructive path for years and no matter what me and my mates done he just wouldn't accept our help or friendship. Its got to the stage now were his company a misery void that we avoid at all costs. We tried so hard to help him but there is only so much we could do (years)
This is what I realized as well. I suffered from a severe depression in the past and desperately didn't want her to experience the same, but I realized that there was nothing I could do and I had to let her find out for herself why it's awful.
How self-destructive is she and how close are you with her?

You're the only person that would be able to know if she's too stubborn to seek help for self-destructive behavior. That all really depends on the quality of your friendship.
She harms herself sometimes, and I could predict when it would happen and could not do anything to stop her. I got very close to getting her off it completely but I knew it was only temporary. She could always do it and just not tell me.

This is what happened and part of the reason I couldn't be friends anymore. I wasn't myself anymore and my mind was warped, I couldn't think clearly and logically, my priorities were fucked up. I decided that I didn't deserve to spend every day sacrificing my time and energy just to get her 10% more happy.

I would trust her to seek professional help but she keeps insisting that everything is fine even though I can clearly see it's not. The worst part was that I was the only one who truly knew in what state she's in, she keeps everything a secret from the rest.

If there's one thing I've learned in life so far it's not to be a person's only source of comfort.
That's a grand road for becoming a burnt out husk of a person, because your life becomes centered around that individual and making sure they're happy.

Bolded for truth. It'll eat away at your being.

Just to be clear, we're not friends anymore, but that's for an entirely different reason. I told her we can't be friends for a while until I got some things straight. But we left on good terms and she made it clear that she'd always be there for me when I'm ready.

She's not like that, she's self-destructive in a way that she blames herself for everything that happens to her, which led me to spending a lot of time and energy to convince her that not everything is her fault.

What has happened to her that she feels that she has to blame herself for?

This is why I'm slightly concerned. She has a boyfriend who has a history of neglecting her because video games, her best friend is extremely depressed, and another friend of her's she doesn't even like. She has her parents but she doesn't tell them anything, she lied that she was happy to her psychologist(her logic is that she doesn't want to concern anyone).

We were friends for "only" 6 months, but we were extremely close. As in we talked almost 24/7 and did almost everything together.

This is what I realized as well. I suffered from a severe depression in the past and desperately didn't want her to experience the same, but I realized that there was nothing I could do and I had to let her find out for herself why it's awful.

I would stay if I was you, just be there for her when you can but don't overdo it. Hopefully she figures out her boyfriend is shit and leaves him.

demidar

Okay, I think you should be there for her. Seems like you're the only island of stability left. When you said she was self-destructive, I thought you meant like, drinking alcohol like a crazy person and lashing out at everything. You should be there and provide a different perspective and correct any her self-loathing attitude, and professional help won't hurt (seems like you would be the one to help her with that since she's closed off to her parents). But only do this if you have your shit together, if you're in a ragged state as well, taking on someone else's problems is the last thing you want to do.

But.

Don't use kiddie gloves, and don't let her drag you down. There's a chance she'll try and satiate her emotional urges with you (i.e. the friend who always listens and doesn't judge). Don't be that guy, you gotta criticize her actions (or non-actions) on top of listening to her. Don't be a doormat.

It's fine if you don't heed this advice though.

To the inevitable question of "why are you asking if you're not friends anymore anyway?": I'm thinking of becoming friends again, mostly because I mis having her as a friend, not because I feel the need to be there for her.
Bolded for truth. It'll eat away at your being.

What has happened to her that she feels that she has to blame herself for?
It's complicated and I think there's stuff she hasn't told me, but her father is mildly autistic and got angry at her a lot for no reason when she was little. She has a sister that's the same, so I'm guessing he's a reason she's like this. Her getting blamed for things beyond her control mean she starts to take blame for things beyond her control. She basically sacrifices herself for the "greater good".
I would stay if I was you, just be there for her when you can but don't overdo it. Hopefully she figures out her boyfriend is shit and leaves him.

Okay, I think you should be there for her. Seems like you're the only island of stability left. When you said she was self-destructive, I thought you meant like, drinking alcohol like a crazy person and lashing out at everything. You should be there and provide a different perspective and correct any her self-loathing attitude, and professional help won't hurt (seems like you would be the one to help her with that since she's closed off to her parents). But only do this if you have your shit together, if you're in a ragged state as well, taking on someone else's problems is the last thing you want to do.

But.

Don't use kiddie gloves, and don't let her drag you down. There's a chance she'll try and satiate her emotional urges with you (i.e. the friend who always listens and doesn't judge). Don't be that guy, you gotta criticize her actions (or non-actions) on top of listening to her. Don't be a doormat.

It's fine if you don't heed this advice though.

Yeah I'm intending to get in touch again when I get my shit together in uni, so next month probably. I'm in a way better and more stable place mentally so it should be fine.

To the inevitable question of "why are you asking if you're not friends anymore anyway?": I'm thinking of becoming friends again, mostly because I mis having her as a friend, not because I feel the need to be there for her.

It's complicated and I think there's stuff she hasn't told me, but her father is mildly autistic and got angry at her a lot for no reason when she was little. She has a sister that's the same, so I'm guessing he's a reason she's like this. Her getting blamed for things beyond her control mean she starts to take blame for things beyond her control. She basically sacrifices herself for the "greater good".

Yeah I'm intending to get in touch again when I get my shit together in uni, so next month probably. I'm in a way better and more stable place mentally so it should be fine.

Yeah, go be there for her man, she sounds like she just needs somebody. Not the bad kind of self destructive where they just become toxic to be around.

Good luck to you.

semisonic

Banned

Whoa whoa whoa.
As a representative of the autistic community as well as someone who has worked with many autistic children in the past, I've gotta say that while autism is probably making her father have some emotional problems, it is not the cause of his problems. You can't just blame that shit on a condition like that, especially if it's only mild. That just sounds like a classic case of an abusive father, with a sad excuse for being so.
But yeah, daddy issues are always rough to deal with, maybe too much so for you.
I say you should help her out, and stick by her if you can (speaking as the best friend of a boy with many problems with depression, and other problems I will not go into to protect his privacy). But if this is beyond your ability, you gotta know your limits.
There's only so much you can do for her, and less so that's healthy for you to do for her.

Yeah, go be there for her man, she sounds like she just needs somebody. Not the bad kind of self destructive where they just become toxic to be around.

Good luck to you.
Definitely not a toxic person, just extremely tiring sometimes. She's a wonderful person, just held back by herself.
Whoa whoa whoa.
As a representative of the autistic community as well as someone who has worked with many autistic children in the past, I've gotta say that while autism is probably making her father have some emotional problems, it is not the cause of his problems. You can't just blame that shit on a condition like that, especially if it's only mild. That just sounds like a classic case of an abusive father, with a sad excuse for being so.
But yeah, daddy issues are always rough to deal with, maybe too much so for you.
I say you should help her out, and stick by her if you can (speaking as the best friend of a boy with many problems with depression, and other problems I will not go into to protect his privacy). But if this is beyond your ability, you gotta know your limits.
There's only so much you can do for her, and less so that's healthy for you to do for her.

I don't know her father, I'm just paraphrasing what she said to me. She made it sound like it was the autism was the cause, but yeah maybe she's making excuses for him, sounds like what she would do. Sorry if I said something offensive, I didn't mean to judge.

If you can accept that your friendship will never be on equal terms(she sounds like she needs constant attention,which is fine if not frustrating), then I'd say to be there for her if she physically harms herself over the sins of her father.

But, and I mean but, make sure to call her out on any bullshit she may throw at you. She cant be a perpetual victim and she needs to start growing up and accepting that she has relative control of her life. Her father will not be there to tell her how to live her life once she leaves the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom