• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 14: Sacrifice your life for more posts in the thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That feel when breaking the Seltras's horn and having it fall to the ground, then jumping off the mountain above it and mounting it while its trying to flee and then killing it.

OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH NOW I GET IT.

I've never backed anything because I hate the concept of Kickstarter.

I love the idea of Kickstarter since it allows devs to make a game without a publisher to run their ass, but unfortunately consumers are bigger idiots than publishers (some of whom are already total idiots) and don't understand how things don't always go perfectly to schedule.

Of course though, sometimes things just don't work out and the devs just totally fuck up. Kickstarter is an investment, not buying a future game.

That feel when breaking the Seltras's horn and having it fall to the ground, then jumping off the mountain above it and mounting it while its trying to flee and then killing it.

Hey skLa hope you're excited for your new avatar this friday, just finished it and I put a lot of work into it.
It actually still looks kinda messy.

If you want I can go for "It'll be a Scrublords" instead of "It won't be Ultimax" if you make it two weeks since I'm pretty sure I'd just win otherwise and that wouldn't be very fun.

I'm going to keep bugging you about this because I'm a shit

I definitely don't hate the concept of kickstarter, I just hate the lack of protection of the backers and people like Molyneux who severely abuse the system and ruin it for everyone else.

That is absolutely not the main problem with Kickstarter and I fucking hate this line of reasoning and wish kickstarter would make some changes to its system.

Devs fucking up is a serious problem or uninformed consumers that complain about their investment when things don't go exactly right? Because they're both huge problems.

Kickstarter isn't nearly a perfect system, but we've already gotten plenty of great games from it. There's a lot of things we all wish were better about it, but unfortunately its not a perfect system and it probably won't be for a while, at least till Kickstarter becomes bigger.

Things like insurance on certain sized purchases, and better ways for the devs to contact backers other than just regular emails should be implemented, but the insurance thing seems more like a dream at this point.

semisonic

Banned

welcome to the fold, brother.
Leave your social life at the door.

Nordicus

I'm glad SBFP decided to make a video for a somewhat unknown kickstarter project because, while the quality of the game is still a factor, we can be shown a somewhat clear image of what scale is the influence that their videos can have on funding
cLPSFSj.png
w6CEp77.png

Presuming they were the only people to show SotSU to a new group of gamers, we could assume that SBFP just bumped up the kickstarter by an extra $6'000, divided to ~240 backers it's roughly $25 per backer for a project that let's you have a copy of the game at $10.

It's their most succesful day since the first day of the project

I'm going to keep bugging you about this because I'm a shit

Sorry I didn't see it. Leave the bet as is. If its not ultimax, you win and I wear one avatar for the week. If it is, enjoy your new avatar for a month

welcome to the fold, brother.
Leave your social life at the door.

Yeah baby, you get it.

Oh my god. There's a fucking amazing bow that I can get it I get three more seltas shells, 3 more seltas wings and 2 more horns.

I gotta hunt this thing again.

I'm glad SBFP decided to make a video for a somewhat unknown kickstarter project because, while the quality of the game is still a factor, we can be shown a somewhat clear image of what scale is the influence that their videos can have on funding

Presuming they were the only people to show SotSU to a new group of gamers, we could assume that SBFP just bumped up the kickstarter by an extra $6'000, divided to ~240 backers it's roughly $25 per backer for a project that let's you have a copy of the game at $10.

It's their most succesful day since the first day of the project
If you trust YT view counts (lol no) that's out of ~240/29,386, or .00817% of their audience that put money in.
Oh my god. There's a fucking amazing bow that I can get it I get three more seltas shells, 3 more seltas wings and 2 more horns.

I gotta hunt this thing again.
I like to keep going through new monsters until I find one I loveee to fight, then I farm that. This game it was Magala. Such a fun fight.

THAT'S WHY YOU PLAY IT FOR 10 HOURS WHEN YOU HAVE A FREE DAY/WEEKEND

10 HOURS IS STILL INSANE GOODWIL.

If you trust YT view counts (lol no) that's out of ~240/29,386, or .00817% of their audience that put money in.

I like to keep going through new monsters until I find one I loveee to fight, then I farm that. This game it was Magala. Such a fun fight.

That big bug monster was fun for me to fight since its an aerial monster and doesn't just hang in my ass all day since I'm an archer and that would fucking blow.

I can see why that fight would kinda suck for sword people though.

I am guessing I bought the "wrong" monster hunting game.

I like it tho

Presentation wise I think Freedom Wars and Soul Sacrifice Delta are far better, nothing against monster hunter.

But Monster Hunter has a far greater level of depth and I barely scratched the surface on it.

Like Matt said "I didn't even press the start button"

Boy that's a gamble, we gotta keep you away from Vegas.

Bet it all or go home. Skimping is for nerds.

10 HOURS IS STILL INSANE GOODWIL.

That big bug monster was fun for me to fight since its an aerial monster and doesn't just hang in my ass all day since I'm an archer and that would fucking blow.

I can see why that fight would kinda suck for sword people though.
NO GIT ADDICTED

Being ranged will be wayyyy easier when you play Multi and have a bunch of nerds with melee running around distracting monsters. Seltas is really fun with an Insect glaive since you can just jump right up in its ass, but doing that with the greatsword was kinda frustrating.

The fucking monster variety in this version of MH is so fucking good. All the monsters that designed around using verticality are amazing.

sjay1994

Presentation wise I think Freedom Wars and Soul Sacrifice Delta are far better, nothing against monster hunter.

But Monster Hunter has a far greater level of depth and I barely scratched the surface on it.

I didn't really feel the MH4 demo. I liked soul sacrifice though. I never played Freedom wars.

But I wasn't talking about those.

For me, it's just that the gameplay loop is kinda lame, but mainly, I think I just greatly, greatly prefer how MH plays over the other games I've tried.

Like, it plays so close to Souls, and I almost think I like it more.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I didn't really feel the MH4 demo. I liked soul sacrifice though. I never played Freedom wars.

Then would you just tell us what it is already? C'mon.

EDIT: Also I really don't like Freedom Wars. Only Vita game I've sincerely regretted buying.

I know I over push this, but...

I'm reading a manga chapter right now where a bunch of students are having an intelligent debate on overspending or necessity of government funds for roads, in the background, while Akumetsu is having a sick sports car race to the death with some dastardly politician.

Best manga eva.
Also, I'm finally reading Akumetsu again folks.

I never played SotC so no it doesn't make me feel better

Well if it makes you feel any better I saw Dan play Dota 2 and didn't puke everywhere.

For me, it's just that the gameplay loop is kinda lame, but mainly, I think I just greatly, greatly prefer how MH plays over the other games I've tried.

Like, it plays so close to Souls, and I almost think I like it more.

I agree also. Not a fan at all of magic so SSD doesn't completely appeal to me, even if the game is fun and the story is actually interesting. Freedom Wars looks really cool, but the wall swinging and stuff is kind of clunky. Everything in MH feels intentional, though I just assume that's from about like 8 games of refinement.

So Toukiden? Ragnorok?

sjay1994

Since I am listening to them talking about the story in monster hunter, I am guessing its not a major focus.

I liked the story in SS, also I prefered the focus on ranged spells, opposed to the up close stuff I played with in the MH demo.

Well if it makes you feel any better I saw Dan play Dota 2 and didn't puke everywhere.

I agree also. Not a fan at all of magic so SSD doesn't completely appeal to me, even if the game is fun and the story is actually interesting. Freedom Wars looks really cool, but the wall swinging and stuff is kind of clunky. Everything in MH feels intentional, though I just assume that's from about like 8 games of refinement.

So Toukiden? Ragnorok?
Ryckert? I don't know if I wanna watch him play dota.

Alright, cool cool. Let me add you (my FC is in the document now). I'll start the lobby.
We in.
W
The first games had attacks mapped to the right stick and were directional.

Replayed and re recorded first three missions of AC Project Phantasma. Took snapshots in VLC and all I need to do is just trim things down to what I need for posts when I do my next LP.

Man, this streamlines my pipeline for this shit so much. Can probably afford to put some of this stuff together on my laptop when on campus since I won't need to use GIMP to mess around with image sizes and edits (aside from very minor things like eyecatches).

I'm saying that the former is a bigger problem than the latter. You're absolutely correct that consumers need to inform themselves properly before backing a project and delays are to be expected with something as elaborate as your average videogame. However, as it is now, there is no repercussion whatsoever for devs deliberately overselling their product, promising for features they know won't ever make it into the game and just outright deceiving their backers. Developers can make massive changes to their plans, seek publisher help anyway or just abandon the entire project outright and the backers just have to "hope" their money didn't go to complete waste every single time they back a product.

Yes, sometimes devs genuinely fuck up and the entire project goes to shit, which is always a possiblility, but the amount of incompetence or just outright fraud is absurd and the system does nothing to combat that.

No "release what you got to the public" kind of rule, no retracting, no transparency rule, nothing. There is literally nothing the people in charge of funding have any say in or any control over. The only thing system more anti-consumer than this is early access.

People should be well informed and understand that game development is complex, but Kickstarter should also at least take some steps to make it less easy to abuse the system.

You can make the argument that devs that fuck up will probably never be able to use Kickstarter again and actually get any kind of backing, but I agree that there needs to be a system that actually watches the people in charge of the money. Its a big problem how there's almost 0 liability, but unfortunately, there's no answer for it at the moment. It sucks how Kickstarter is basically a crapshoot at this point, but until a system is implemented for it, you kind of just have to hope that this won't go badly for the the investors and that a system will eventually be in place to prevent fraud and other terrible problems before something really bad happen.

In the end though, it is an investment. No matter how well you do the research or how good it looks, things can always fall through the cracks badly and its something that should be shown to consumers before they decide to invest in a system that they think is just a "pay now, play later" type service, which Kickstarter definitely isn't.

Ryckert? I don't know if I wanna watch him play dota.

It was in a UPF and it was amazing.

Evolve

I am having fun with it, but I know you guys probably think I fucked up.

That game honestly looks more MOBA than Hunter with its evolve system and PvP lol. It does look good though, regardless of the publishing hell associated with it.

We in.

The first games had attacks mapped to the right stick and were directional.

Woof. That sounds weird.

Yo, can you guys tell me what games you are planning on buying this year. Because I actually want to play games with you guys.

Metal Gear Solid 5
Bloodborne
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Legend of Heroes 2
Persona 5
Ori and the Blind Forest
Not Dancing All Night.

Others I have to wait and see as release date comes near.

It was in a UPF and it was amazing.

That game honestly looks more MOBA than Hunter with its evolve system and PvP lol. It does look good though, regardless of the publishing hell associated with it.

Woof. That sounds weird.
Was it this weeks? Cause I just renewed my subsricption and I'm super behind

sjay1994

Well, the whole premise is you are hunting a monster. But the moba comparison is very accurate. Its fun though, and I like it.

Also, the dlc thing isn't as bad as I though it would be. Its only cosmetic shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom