• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 14: Sacrifice your life for more posts in the thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really enjoying Bravely Default so far. Tried the Japanese voices for a while, but much prefer the English ones. Edea is cool and Ringabel is just the greatest, his (English) VA does a damn good job. Music still so, so good!

Dem money struggles tho, guess I could grind some mobs for a bit.

Also story spoilers:
Owen noooooo ;_;

Really enjoying Bravely Default so far. Tried the Japanese voices for a while, but much prefer the English ones. Edea is cool and Ringabel is just the greatest, his (English) VA does a damn good job. Music still so, so good
Final Boss theme makes want to forgive every huge problem the game has that makes me hate it

SHAMELESS DP

Just found a poem I had written when Sanic Boom had come out

What does one have to say after 20 years?

Memories of jumping, running and playing.

But sadly your new games confirm our fears

Sega, your owner, knows you aren't well and insists on staying

I remember a hedgehog stylish and quick

And traveling the world on adventures we had

But the new games are terrible and make me sick.

You made us young kids happy

We ran along Green Hills and Chemical Plants

But your new games are quite crappy

Sadly it seems Sega only listens to the sycophants

They love a company that puts you through the ringer.

We long for the days where we played long past

But Sega's treatment of you is quite the stinger.

We look on with our jaws dropped and aghast

Maybe its time to call it quits

The glitches in Sonic Boom make me wince

Big Red made a game that gives us the ****s.

Its time to let go. Goodnight Sweet Prince

sjay1994

SHAMELESS DP

Just found a poem I had written when Sanic Boom had come out

What does one have to say after 20 years?

Memories of jumping, running and playing.

But sadly your new games confirm our fears

Sega, your owner, knows you aren't well and insists on staying

I remember a hedgehog stylish and quick

And traveling the world on adventures we had

But the new games are terrible and make me sick.

You made us young kids happy

We ran along Green Hills and Chemical Plants

But your new games are quite crappy

Sadly it seems Sega only listens to the sycophants

They love a company that puts you through the ringer.

We long for the days where we played long past

But Sega's treatment of you is quite the stinger.

We look on with our jaws dropped and aghast

Maybe its time to call it quits

The glitches in Sonic Boom make me wince

Big Red made a game that gives us the ****s.

Its time to let go. Goodnight Sweet Prince

Ha, I have such a smug satisfaction I stopped giving a fuck about sonic after unleashed.

I am waiting for me to stop caring about AC, that shit still hurts me.

sjay1994

Well Pat just said the build quality of the N3DS is fucking awful.

Sigh, fuck this system, and nintendos idiotic system transfer. Just make a universal account like Sony and MS.

Skrams

Man, Matt is lovey dovey half the time with his fiance and then Valentines Day happens and then anti-establishment.

Yo, can you guys tell me what games you are planning on buying this year. Because I actually want to play games with you guys.

Not a lot of MP stuff since I'm not into fighting games and my internet is shit, but here's a list anyway.

For sures- Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, htoL#NiQ: The Firefly Diary, Splatoon, DMC4 SE, MGS5, Persona 4 DAN, Starfox Wii U, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Bloodborne

Maybe- DmC Definitive Edition, FF Type 0 HD, Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin, Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX, Hotline Miami 2, Darkest Dungeon, Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax, Hyper Light Drifter, J-Stars Victory VS+

If it comes out- Persona 5, Legend of Zelda Wii U, The Witness, Uncharted 4, Yoshi's Wooly World

Some other shit I'm missing or just didn't consider probably, but dunno. I skimmed the 2015 in gaming wikipedia and wrote down what I saw.

Edit- Relooking at my list, some of the maybes are just not day one. I'm going to play Hotline Miami 2, but I'm just not sure it'll be day one. I plan on dumping $60 into the special edition for the vinyls, but it says it'll be a second shipment that gets here in March or some time after the game releases. For something like Hyper Light Drifter, I just need to have it in my hands or see it fully complete probably to be sold. Darkest Dungeon, Vita port probably. I want to support Dengeki and J-Stars just for actually releasing over in the west. Then everything else is eh, maybe.

Also of course my opinion will wildly change on some of these games as we get more information throughout the year. Also E3 is in 4 months and we'll give us a new wealth of shit that we need to buy.

I also forgot to add Bloodborne somehow.

360pages

Sigh, fuck this system, and nintendos idiotic system transfer. Just make a universal account like Sony and MS.

My pokemans and Smash DATA also EO4 and EOU...really what is with them and not having a system like that...At least letting a basic transfer.

Huh? It's leaps and bounds ahead of the OG 3DS XL. It feels way more solid.

He just complained about his system having dead pixels. He says it's the best handheld since the DSlite.
The top screen clicks in place nicely, but wiggles around once in position. The d-pad is also wiggles around, but it works just fine otherwise.
It's fiiine.
That's the same in the OG XL, the New improves it a lot.

The top screen clicks in place nicely, but wiggles around once in position. The d-pad is also wiggles around, but it works just fine otherwise. Nintendo says it's intended design so that things are less likely to break. I'd say it's dumb design, because they're dumb (insofar as that it makes it feel like a less solid product, lot's of people online getting worried over it initially). Also the touch screen seems less responsive to my hands compared to my old DS Lite (my closest frame of reverence), forcing me to use the little pen-a-majig, but that might just come down to calibration which I have yet to do.

Still, it's not like the n3DS will just fall apart in your hands or anything.
It's fiiine.

sjay1994

He just complained about his system having dead pixels. He says it's the best handheld since the DSlite.

I should probably hold this thing. I have been generally disappointed in the 3ds build. Fuck, I still like playing games on my brick DS.

And it annoys me that I can't play great games, because I hate holding this system.

demidar

That's the same in the OG XL, the New improves it a lot.

DS Lite is tight as shit.

sjay1994

I hated the lite because of durability. Thing literally snapped in half for me and several other friends, though we were dumb kids.

I skipped the lite and got the DSi. That build also felt pretty good. 3DS is the only nintendo handheld I own that I am actively disappointed in.

360pages

Handheld triggers always are weak as fuck, the amount of times I had to pour alcohol in my 3DS L button is actually getting pretty high.

Skrams

Does anyone else notice when Woolie says things, usually Japanese, in a strange way? I'm having trouble thinking of any examples at the moment besides him slipping back into saying Ip-Oh instead of just Ippo this podcast, but I feel like he's done it with other things previously. I don't know any other way to describe it than him just saying uncommon words with a plain North American accent as if he's reading it off a piece of paper.

Maybe I'm just blowing this up in my head because every time Woolie says Ip-Oh, my heart just dies a bit.

Waldstein, Merkava, and Gordeau look really broken to me

I'm getting it day 1.
I'm probably not gonna play it at launch since I have Exams during that week...

Probably me.

STOP PEER PRESSURING ME.
Is it $60?

I'll definitely buy it, don't know how much practice i'll put in though.

Yay, that's just enough frienders on board that I won't worry about the purchase.
The added benefit of cockblocking Dengeki for this community is just icing on the cake! *rubs hands together evilly

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Does anyone else notice when Woolie says things, usually Japanese, in a strange way? I'm having trouble thinking of any examples at the moment besides him slipping back into saying Ip-Oh instead of just Ippo this podcast, but I feel like he's done it with other things previously. I don't know any other way to describe it than him just saying uncommon words with a plain North American accent as if he's reading it off a piece of paper.

Maybe I'm just blowing this up in my head because every time Woolie says Ip-Oh, my heart just dies a bit.

They all have issues with stuff like that (except maybe Liam?). For example, they all say "Kay-men Rider" instead of "Kah-men Rider", and "mane-gah" instead of "mahn-ga". And of course there's the "Merry-o" thing. I think it's just a regional thing where they don't really use that long A sound.

Skrams

They all have issues with stuff like that (except maybe Liam?). For example, they all say "Kay-men Rider" instead of "Kah-men Rider", and "mane-gah" instead of "mahn-ga". And of course there's the "Merry-o" thing. I think it's just a regional thing where they don't really use that long A sound.

I can't say I remember them doing it with the words Kamen Rider or manga. Although it's been a bit since I feel like they've said those words. I at least don't remember it from episode 78 where they talked about Gaim and I have no idea what the last time was that they said the word "manga." Maybe when Woolie talked about Prison School or something. At least everyone makes fun of Pat for saying Merryo. No one seemed to bat an eyelash any time Woolie said Ip-Oh. Probably because it's not as common as Mario, but eh.

The Smash demo broke my first New 3DS circle pad.

I am now scared to even play any Smash on my new 3DS when I get it since everyone keeps yelling about their circle pads breaking. I already have a copy too since I bought it for the Smash Soundtrack offer.

Rizzi

I can't say I remember them doing it with the words Kamen Rider or manga. Although it's been a bit since I feel like they've said those words. I at least don't remember it from episode 78 where they talked about Gaim and I have no idea what the last time was that they said the word "manga." Maybe when Woolie talked about Prison School or something. At least everyone makes fun of Pat for saying Merryo. No one seemed to bat an eyelash any time Woolie said Ip-Oh. Probably because it's not as common as Mario, but eh.

I am now scared to even play any Smash on my new 3DS when I get it since everyone keeps yelling about their circle pads breaking. I already have a copy too since I bought it for the Smash Soundtrack offer.

You should probably play it on the system that has a real analogue controller..

Skrams

You should probably play it on the system that has a real analogue controller..

I liked the idea of playing Smash for 20 minutes and then turning off the system. I played a bunch of it the first week or two on my Wii U, but then stopped because I didn't want to git more gud and also I have shit internet. I figured I'd be able to get into it again if I just played a bit here and there. I just want to punch things with Little Mac on the go too. I don't want to break my shit though.

Ants

Hey, guys! I just wanted to drop in and leave this here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10692406/SBF Recommendations.xls

I listened through every podcast and compiled a spreadsheet noting every recommendation from the Zaibatsu. I also went through a lot of video series. I'm probably not gonna hit up every single video, again, but I do plan to go through everything under Events and Shows on the website, in due time, and to keep up with all videos and podcasts moving forward.

If anyone has any feedback or recommendations, they're fully welcome, but I hope some people find this useful! I first started compiling it when I bought a Vita, so that I'd have a list of games recommended for it, and I figured I may as well go all the way and make it something everyone could use. I would be interested in a more effective way of updating it than having people download the whole spreadsheet every time.

EDIT: It is worth noting because it can be hard to see that many entries have a comment on them that offers a more detailed look at why a game was recommended, and especially if a game had mixed reception. I also think it is important to note that I did not really do any research at all to if a certain port was good or broken or whatever. You should definitely do some research before following up on any of these recommendations. You wouldn't want to accidentally buy Bayonetta on PS3 if you have the Wii U.

SteveTR

I listened through every podcast and compiled a spreadsheet noting every recommendation from the Zaibatsu. I also went through a lot of video series. I'm probably not gonna hit up every single video, again, but I do plan to go through everything under Events and Shows on the website, in due time, and to keep up with all videos and podcasts moving forward.

If anyone has any feedback or recommendations, they're fully welcome, but I hope some people find this useful! I first started compiling it when I bought a Vita, so that I'd have a list of games recommended for it, and I figured I may as well go all the way and make it something everyone could use.

You, sir, have done the fandom a great favor.

ultimax

If anyone has any feedback or recommendations, they're fully welcome, but I hope some people find this useful! I first started compiling it when I bought a Vita, so that I'd have a list of games recommended for it, and I figured I may as well go all the way and make it something everyone could use. I would be interested in a more effective way of updating it than having people download the whole spreadsheet every time.

This is actually really cool

Skrams

Is this the first time you've done this? Someone did this forever ago, but I can't remember where and if they kept updating it. I just know that I had to download OpenOffice a while back and I've used it to open only two documents. Both of which were Best Friends Recommendations stuff. Also I'd kind of like to see anti recommendations become a red color or something. That would require probably retracing all the podcasts and videos though.

Still, I really appreciate this. It's also way better organized and prettier than the other spreadsheet I saw a while back. I imagine you could keep this better updated by having it be a open google document or google drive or whatever that nonsense is.

You should also post this to the reddit if you want to. You already did, so nevermind.

And then I did my research and learned you are the same guy. Good Job.

Ants

Is this the first time you've done this? Someone did this forever ago, but I can't remember where and if they kept updating it. I just know that I had to download OpenOffice a while back and I've used it to open only two documents. Both of which were Best Friends Recommendations stuff. Also I'd kind of like to see anti recommendations become a red color or something. That would require probably retracing all the podcasts and videos though.

Still, I really appreciate this. It's also way better organized and prettier than the other spreadsheet I saw a while back. I imagine you could keep this better updated by having it be a open google document or google drive or whatever that nonsense is.

Right before Black Friday I released a really early draft that had pretty much no formatting because I didn't decide to release it until pretty much right when I did. I think this version should have no formatting problems in either Excel or OpenOffice. I've tested it in both on a few computers with the help of friends.

I didn't want to use red because that's a really intense color to be covering like 20% of the screen, but early on I did maintain a second sheet full of games they strictly disliked. Overall, though, I found that list to be too small to really be worthwhile. They're fairly vocal about games they strongly dislike (lookin at you, Asura's Wrath), so I thought the benefits of tracking those didn't really outweigh the drawbacks.

Long story short, sorry, but anything that requires going back through a large amount of content is probably not gonna be done by me. I've been working on this since early November and there's like 200 hours of podcast at this point. I could possibly do that going forward if that's something people really want, though.

That's pretty fucking cool and while looking through it, I noticed that Pat has recommended Freedom Wars. Did he? All I remember is him saying that while he likes the premise, he doesn't think the game is worth to keep playing. It's been a really long while though and I might be mistaken.

I was kind of generous with greens. Generally if there's a relatively positive response, I'll give a game a green by them. My standard is anything more than an affirmative grunt seems to indicate they liked the game, although in some cases that turns out to be incorrect. I had Liam down as liking Hyperdimension Neptunia for a while, for example, and he recently said he thought that game was terrible, so I wouldn't say my list is above reproach.

That being said, usually when they give a detailed impression, like during Letter Time or while summarizing their weeks, they talk about a game long enough to give me a pretty accurate impression of if they liked it or not. I recall Freedom Wars being talked about in their week summary bit, so I'd give a vote of confidence that Pat did in fact enjoy it. I can always check later, since that would've been only a week or two after that game came out, so it'll be easy to track down in the podcasts.

EDIT: In Podcast 65, at around 11 minutes, they start talking about it. Pat does say "that game is not good enough to get to 0 years" And then waaaay later at like 19:20 he says "Freedom Wars is really good." so I'm gonna call that one as accurate, just a mixed and not emphatic recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom