• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 15: Two Guys Play

Nah, you could take your time with it. I mean Pat is talking about playing like crazy and has a review copy and we both just got HR7 last night, but he's been making tons of different weapons and armor sets while I'm making it harder for fun and rushing through cause that's how I play (till I hit G-rank).

That said, it is one of those games like Pat said where it can take awhile to really get a feel of what the game is like. These early fights are babby easy and kinda muddle together. Later fights are way cooler monsters, way harder, etc.

And I'm only worried you're having a misunderstanding or somethin'. Like how I'd be worried if someone said they hated Dark Souls and you find out they're trying to exclusively use a bow. Though I probably come off more like a rabid fanboy.

The difference is that the bow is a compliment weapon in Dark Souls that can be quickly substituted for another weapon like a sword, unlike Monster Hunter. If Monster Hunter was seriously the kind of game where some weapons are just flat out boring/wrong to play with in comparison to others (think mage to sword in DS), then that'd just be fucking lame, considering something like Dark Souls relies on a lot more than its gameplay to be as good as it is (otherwise, DS2 wouldn't have been such a disappointment), while the hunting aspect of Monster Hunter is really the biggest thing going for it.

mike0dude

nsk1tyG.gif

The difference is that the bow is a compliment weapon in Dark Souls that can be quickly substituted for another weapon like a sword, unlike Monster Hunter. If Monster Hunter was seriously the kind of game where some weapons are just flat out boring/wrong to play with in comparison to others (think mage to sword in DS), then that'd just be fucking lame, considering something like Dark Souls relies on a lot more than its gameplay to be as good as it is, while the hunting aspect of Monster Hunter is really the only good thing going for it.
I think MonHun is super close to Souls in terms of gameplay. I at least enjoy them similarly. I see it as a game about bossfights.

There's nothing wrong with any weapons, they're all valid and somebody out there will love it, but using some effectively or having fun with them will vary. I mean, I absolutely hate using some of the MH weapons, but I think Greatsword and Hammer are great.

You can always just swap out and craft a new weapon anytime between hunts.

I think MonHun is super close to Souls in terms of gameplay. I at least enjoy them similarly. I see it as a game about bossfights.

There's nothing wrong with any weapons, they're all valid and somebody out there will love it, but using some effectively or having fun with them will vary. I mean, I absolutely hate using some of the MH weapons, but I think Greatsword and Hammer are great.

You can always just swap out and craft a new weapon anytime between hunts.

I completely disagree. I think Dark Souls weakest points have always been its boss fights. While I think there's a few good ones (moreso in DS1 and DeS), those games have always been more about their level design, environment, and the sheer number of mechanics in combat (which this is closer to Monster Hunter than anything else honestly).

Its the combat being so similar in these games is why its easy to think that they're both similar in being about boss fights. If you really want to make that comparison though, Monster Hunter early game fights have been really reminiscent of DS2 and its abundance of carbon-copy/boring/bland boss fights and that feeling just makes me sick.

Again, probably better just for me to drop the subject. But I honestly just have no interest in going back to it and probably won't with the number of games coming out soon.

Top Bottom