• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 15: Two Guys Play

Numb

It's fiiiiiine. Everything's fiiiiine. It's fiiiiine.

Not this time
my internal clock is all messed up becuse of this stupid game
Somebody save me
smallvillegif.gif

come out right now Bloodborne
i need you

Zenfalcia

08:30am and havent slept all night.
I need to drop MonHun ASAP
You probably should sleep..
Getting a better hang of chain attacks in Vagrant Story. Turns out you need to alternate pressing between multiple button presses instead of just using one. Now I can go from 2 to about 4.

Timing is still a bitch though, but super rewarding.
What's the max limit you can get chain attacks to?

sjay1994

Note to self....

If a girl lets you take her on a date because you are reading the same book,
she probably wants to eat your flesh.

Note to self....

Whut
Man why do I have so much trouble with P1's contacts... I'm way better at P2's...

Oh your watching Tokyo Ghoul?

Oh okay. Also because they're harder and less clear. P2's is easier, even EPs with it's weird single option per character thing

Oh okay. Also because they're harder and less clear. P2's is easier, even EPs with it's weird single option per character thing
I wish they didn't streamlined the single person's contacts in EP... Even if more of their personalities show up with group contacts. I think EP is my favorite negotiation system so far in the Megaten games. I heard good things about Soul Hackers' negotiations tho.

Yeah it's just jarring since in Japanese a female VA can easily pass for a boy, but in English it's so obvious she's a girl.

I really disagree with this, cause I just went through that with Hunter x Hunter's sub and Kurapika's VA.
I feel there are some voices that can pass for androgenous, but those two voices in particular are women's voices, no question about it.

I wish they didn't streamlined the single person's contacts in EP... Even if more of their personalities show up with group contacts. I think EP is my favorite negotiation system so far in the Megaten games. I heard good things about Soul Hackers' negotiations tho.

Yeah I liked that multiple people could do the same thing and they had more dialogue. That's probably one of the few things that made me go "Oh they changed that? That's lame"

Going to bed now. Later whoever reads this

Zenfalcia

Last time we had around 11 people and it took around 2 hours. People got mad salt.
damn that many people? Yeah, i saw the salt on the thread. It was quite good.
Note to self....

Totally, she wants that meat stick.
I will take your advice. My eyes have dried up and feel salty now.
Night everyone
Bai.

Ilvocare

Holy shit Naoto's just straight up using a Sony Vaio computer. What an odd detail to have. Were they still around and relevant when Arena was released?

Yeah I liked that multiple people could do the same thing and they had more dialogue. That's probably one of the few things that made me go "Oh they changed that? That's lame"

Going to bed now. Later whoever reads this

I'll see you guys later
Night/See ya
Man the strength of the sword devs are pretty awesome dudes

they really listen to their community.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1145990096/strength-of-the-sword-ultimate/posts/1155238

and then this happened

and then this a couple of mins ago
Cool. I need to back this.

Ilvocare

And with only four scenarios left, I'll probably hold a poll on who to do next.

Later.

I'm off to bed now, it's 3:30 in the AM and I'm no longer watching Best Friends...

Zenfalcia

Man the strength of the sword devs are pretty awesome dudes

they really listen to their community.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1145990096/strength-of-the-sword-ultimate/posts/1155238

and then this happened

and then this a couple of mins ago
That's cool.
I'll see you guys later
Bai.
Holy shit Naoto's just straight up using a Sony Vaio computer. What an odd detail to have. Were they still around and relevant when Arena was released?
Probably.

grimmiq

Are the Breath of Fire games good?

I've only played 3, 4 and 5, but they were all around when they released so it's been a while. 3 and 4 are pretty traditional JRPGs, while 5 was a lot weirder with a limit on your actions (I think it was a percentage that would slowly increase as you did pretty much anything...like take 10 steps and you go from 0% to 0.01, using Dragon abilities would increase it by several percent at a time..Me being a babby at the time fucked up and quit when I burnt through my meter and had to restart (I think you get the option to either restart at a checkpoint, or restart the whole game..but with your levels and equipment), at which point I think I just dropped the game altogether.

4 probably has the better story and characters (Except Rei..fuck I loved Rei), but I hated the Dragon Form system in 4..IIRC 3 had full transformations while in 4 you spent most of the game turning into half-dragon humanoid dude..which was kinda boring.

I've only played 3, 4 and 5, but they were all around when they released so it's been a while. 3 and 4 are pretty traditional JRPGs, while 5 was a lot weirder with a limit on your actions (I think it was a percentage that would slowly increase as you did pretty much anything...like take 10 steps and you go from 0% to 0.01, using Dragon abilities would increase it by several percent at a time..Me being a babby at the time fucked up and quit when I burnt through my meter and had to restart (I think you get the option to either restart at a checkpoint, or restart the whole game..but with your levels and equipment), at which point I think I just dropped the game altogether.
That sounds insane

Ants

Man, that has me compelled to give 5 a whirl. I really value unique systems in a game and that sounds pretty damn unique.

You know, the only thing Vagrant Story's combat is missing is a quick weapon switch, considering the game's emphasis on build weapon affinities against different enemies. At least everything in the menus is accessible even during combat, and it's already pretty damn fun.

Game is so goddamn excellent, and it's not that hard to manage all the different stats and affinities for weapons and shit.

grimmiq

Man, that has me compelled to give 5 a whirl. I really value unique systems in a game and that sounds pretty damn unique.

From the wiki..

Dragon Quarter' incorporates a combination of real-time strategy and turn-based combat in what is called the Positive Encounter and Tactics System (PETS). There are no random encounters, instead enemies can be seen on the field and combat is engaged when either the player strikes the enemy with their weapon or the enemy touches the player's character.

The real-time strategy portion, or "Positive Encounter", the player and enemies can move about in the environment together at the same time. During this time, the player can set up traps to hurt the enemy or lures to occupy the enemy. If either the player attacks an enemy or the enemy touches the player, the actual combat initiates. The actual combat portion, or "Tactics", is a turn based battling system based on tactical RPGs such as Final Fantasy Tactics. Any traps and lures not used up will still be effective. If the player attacks the enemy and the characters can easily overpower the enemy, the enemy is instantly defeated and the player is awarded Party XP equal to the amount of regular experience points earned.

One of these features is the Scenario Overlay (SOL) system. This system encourages the player to return to previous points in the game, restart the game, and/or replay the game in order to unlock hidden areas, view additional story scenes, and make the characters more powerful so that the player can deal with the game's considerable difficulty level. Unlocked scenes from this system will have the
BofFDQJapanArt
letters "SOL" on the bottom right to indicate that the event is a SOL unlocked event.

Because of how this system works and the game's difficulty, it is implied that the player is encouraged to not finish the game on the very first run and, instead, continuously restart. As enemies become stronger at a faster rate than the player characters, returning to earlier points of the game is a necessity to complete the game. The player is literally expected to lose difficult encounters and retry with additional capabilities. When the player loses, obtains 100% on the D-Counter, or uses an option called "Give Up" (to be used only when the game is deemed impossible to continue), the player is given two options -- SOL Restore and SOL Restart. SOL Restore allows the player to restart at the last save point with the characters at the same level in which they were defeated, while SOL Restart restarts the game entirely. Either option allows the player to retain any equipment equipped, any skills obtained, any Party XP earned, and any items and Zenny in storage.

The SOL system would be later re-used for Capcom's Xbox 360 game Dead Rising since both games share some development team members.

The Breath of Fire series took a leap and restricted Ryu to one dragon form, and he is limited in its use through the "Dragon Counter", a timer of sorts that slowly goes up to 100%. It has been calculated that you gain .01% for every 20 steps (though late in the game it may decrease to 9 steps), .01% per turn in battle, 1.0% for D-Diving (transforming into the dragon form), 1.0% for using the weakest attack (10AP), 1.25% for the medium attack (20AP), and 1.5% for the strong attack (30AP), as well as 1.0% per turn in battle for staying as a dragon. Ryu also has access to a D-Breath attack which rapidly fills the D-Counter while also rapidly increasing the damage done to the foe. Given enough time and sacrificed D-Counter, even the most powerful boss can be killed in one blow.

If the D-Counter reaches 100% before a certain event in the game, the dragon within Ryu takes over his body and soul and the game is over. The dragon form itself is extremely powerful, easily capable of defeating most boss characters with frightening speed. It is therefore a challenge among players to have the lowest Dragon Counter rating by winning the game as quickly as possible without using the Dragon abilities (if the player chooses "End" after reaching 100% on the D-Counter, a disturbing cutscene shows Odjn erupting from Ryu's body).

Finally, there is an element of replayability in the form of the D-ratio, which is a rank that in the story is determined at birth, but in the game one can increase his or her D-ratio from the base of 1/8192 to as high as 1/4 (the dragon quarter), which makes certain areas of the game accessible. The highest "lock" in the game is 1/256, while the Dragon Blade you find in replays (which is based on your D-Ratio) maxes out at 1/8, so getting 1/4 is simply for show. In the game itself, D-ratio is a measure of the chance a person has to "link" with a dragon; the higher, the better. Therefore, people with higher D-ratios are wealthier and more powerful than those with lower D-ratios. In addition, the low-Ds are forced to live on the lower, more polluted regions of the world. In any event, the story doesn't change even when your D-Ratio changes (the game's characters will still refer to you as a Low-D, even when you have D-Ratio 1/4).

The D-Ratio for the replay mode is calculated at the end of the game by determining the player's rating. Some factors that determine this rating are time to complete the game, percentage of battles that were initiated by the player, number of treasure chests open, and percentage of maps explored.

Due to the finite resources, players are encouraged to be very careful during enemy encounters and using consumables. Enemies do not respawn, so it is impossible to grind for XP or farm for zenny/items during a playthrough. Permanent saves require the use of Save Token, which are found in specific locations or dropped from certain foes.

Shit's complicated.

Zenfalcia

You know, the only thing Vagrant Story's combat is missing is a quick weapon switch, considering the game's emphasis on build weapon affinities against different enemies. At least everything in the menus is accessible even during combat, and it's already pretty damn fun.

Game is so goddamn excellent, and it's not that hard to manage all the different stats and affinities for weapons and shit.
When did this game come out?
Monster Hunter is eating me alive send help pls
Dead Rising's restart feature was the best and the worst at the same time. Not sure how I'd feel about it in an RPG either.
Rip in peace goodwil.
Goddarnit. I go to sleep and wake up and there's 14 new pages. That is like, a lot.
You don't have to read then.

grimmiq

Vagrant Story has the weapon skill system where you attach an ability to each button and have to time it right to continue the chain, right? Vaguely remember sucking at a lot of them so I went through the first 5-6 hours of the game going back and forth between 2 abilities, then getting destroyed as the game got more complex and I didn't have the weapons/abilities to cope.

Ugh... serious blue balls from that second Revelations best friends vid.... the cut is right before the hypest moment.

Also, again, Revelations 2 is super super legit guys, check it out when you have the time.
Also normal is easy mode.
G'night.

Zenfalcia

PS1 game. Similar to Transistor and Parasite Eve's gameplay.
Oh really? Sounds cool.
Came out in 2000. Presentation and detail still holds up really well for a PS1 game.

I don't have an affinity for old Square very much since I didn't play most of their games, but this one just stands out to me so much for its uniqueness and complexity.
even with 15 years of age?
I don't (´・ω・`)
It's fine then.

Edit: i should stop reading manga.. ;_; but it's too good.

Top Bottom