• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 15: Two Guys Play

I still need to play Metroid Prime 2. I initially burnt myself out by playing all 3 of them at the same time when I bought Trilogy, this started fine as 1 and 3 are actually pretty different, but when it became time to do 2 I was all out.

Also I started scanning things in real life, that was pretty freaky.

Only Metroid games I've played are Super, Fusion, and Zero Mission. I would have played through the prime trilogy if the collection wasn't expensive as fuck.

You're right. I apologize. Fixed.

1082.gif

That's something I'm not entirely sure about. However, I think the complexity of its world and puzzle design, combined with certain positive remarks about its weapons and the timing of when they give you said upgrades and certain amazing areas, give it a small edge over MP3. Could go either way.

Ah alright, that's fair. To me it felt like MP2 was reusing a lot from 1 and things were popping out like they were in 1.

What? No!
Retro or bust. Stop being so fucking overprotective of your IP, Nintendo, and give it to the amazing American developer studios.

Please no. I want less First person Metroid.

I want to go to 2.5D design with huge labyrinth levels and non-linear design.

Go back to Super and Fusion and make them 2.5/3D.

Why? What's wrong with FP Metroid? It's a bit slower in pace and need time getting used to, but they're arguably some of the best Metroid games of all time and the MP trilogy is quite possibly the best trilogy of games I know of. And yes, I know DKC exists.
Metroid Prime and MP2 are non-linear. In fact, MP2 might have taken it a bit too far with that.
I love that you say labyrinth levels and non-linear design, yet mention Fusion in the next sentence. Fusion is one of the worst 2D Metroid games. Still great, but I certainly don't want them to go back to something similar.
Super Metroid is the game they should look up to when making a 2D metroid game.

Also fuck 2.5D. And I don't want Sakamoto anywhere near the next games.

I need to be clear:

I want Super's non-linear map design with Fusion's storytelling/narrative/pacing.

And 2.5D that isn't obnoxious pixel hunts.

Metroid needs to go back to it's true roots: card games

No. Metroid should stay 3D. It just needs some formula changes. First, no more health pickups. Make Samus' health regenerate. Second, switch out her cannon for an actual weapons and make them have limited ammo. Third, make the level design more linear and add lots of objective markers. Finally, tack on a online multiplayer mode. With these changes Metroid is sure to regain its popularity.

No. Metroid should stay 3D. It just needs some formula changes. First, no more health pickups. Make Samus' health regenerate. Second, switch out her cannon for an actual weapons and make them have limited ammo. Third, make the level design more linear and add lots of objective markers. Finally, tack on a online multiplayer mode. With these changes Metroid is sure to regain its popularity.

I just think Samus should be a guy.

Zenfalcia

Basically make Metroid Call of duty. 10/10 best business decision ever.

It could do all that with cards. I've played Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean

Here's the thing with Other M. Unlike the Prime series, that game at least properly implemented the speed booster, space jump, and screw attack exactly as they were in the 2D games.

With that said, I'd like if the next Metroid was just Other M's systems further refined.

Oh god no
Nonononono

Pls no.
Retro can do a 2d Metroid anyway. I want Sakamoto far away from this title though.

So why haven't they?

Here's the thing with Other M. Unlike the Prime series, that game at least properly implemented the speed booster, space jump, and screw attack exactly as they were in the 2D games.

With that said, I'd like if the next Metroid was just Other M's systems further refined.

And what wrong with doing this and letting Retro handle the story for Samus?

Okingjrr

Got my preorder for Hotline Miami 2. So hyped!

That's the perfect solution and the refresher the Metroid franchise needs, no, deserves.

360pages

Prime story was pretty interesting even with the single plot hole about the pirates and Prime. It gave the player the option to pay attention or completely ignore.

It's also a shame that the pirates got more characterization though logs in Prime than Samus and Adam's entire team in other M.

Ants

I was so fucking mad that Other M literally had speed bumps that prevented you from using the Speed Boost. Also I'm pretty sure it doesn't make you particularly faster.

360pages

Eh...it's just one of those things that will be lost in the transition between 2d and 3d Mostly because Other M was an action game and not really a Metroid game, so it allowed for those type of abilities in a third dimension. It would be like giving Link is laser sword attack in 3D Zelda.

Somethings have to be lost once in awhile.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Fuck that.

You say that as if it would somehow break the sanctity that is the Metroid universe or Samus as a character. It's already fucked.

I'm not saying for Metroid to turn character action. I'm saying I want a spin-off game while a mainline Prime or 2D Metroid is in the works.

I bet you still havent played Bayo 2 yet.

And you would win that bet. I need to get a Pro Controller still.

Zenfalcia

aKOxQp5.gif

how Yokozuna was defeated.
Totally.
I was so fucking mad that Other M literally had speed bumps that prevented you from using the Speed Boost. Also I'm pretty sure it doesn't make you particularly faster.
Especially when you technically had it in the beginning but it was "locked away" for the safety of others. Unless speed boost is something you actually had to pick up.

croten

You say that as if it would somehow break the sanctity that is the Metroid universe or Samus as a character. It's already fucked.

I'm not saying for Metroid to turn character action. I'm saying I want a spin-off game while a mainline Prime or 2D Metroid is in the works.

And you would win that bet. I need to get a Pro Controller still.

I think Metroid wouldn't fit a character action genre, the main appeal of the series is it's atmosphere and character action games are usually about over the top combat. Doesn't really fit with that very well.

360pages

What was the plot hole exactly? Was it about
the fact that the pirates make contact with Prime?
Because that was fixed in the PAL version.
Well of course, because Other M is a piece of shit.

The Hole was
The Chozo locked Mertoid Prime in the impact crater...yet the pirates were able to access Prime and Mutate it with weapons. Which brings up the question why do you need to unlock the lock since it as Chozo magic, and how did the Pirates get past.

Even in the Pal version where they fixed that plot hole, another one springs up. Because Prime's scan states it had be modified . But the Pirates had no idea what Prime was so they couldn't have modified it in the PAL version.

Top Bottom