• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 16: You thought Woolie was the Liar, but it was me Patrick!

Mmmmmmmmmmm no homework, doing whatever the fuck I want for a week.
giphy.gif

Mathaou

legacy of cane
^ That..seriously learn how to cook.

It probably will, but I'll still watch it too.

Cooking is fucking great. Then if you have that feeling of, "Man, X sounds really good right now" you can actually make X w/o having to go out or call your mom or whatever.

I'm no chef, but I have large handful of dishes I have memorized for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert. Breakfast and lunch are my favorite to make, because all of my dinners and desserts take a long ass time to make.

If anyone wants to share recipes, I'm down.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
Goddamn, when you think about it, how fucking amazing is Avatar: TLA in every single way. Amazing music, sound design, characters, writing, animation, voice acting. Just fucking fantastic. Such an amazing show.

joe2187

Banned
I dont think I could have disagreed more with Jim Sterlings review of the latest episode of Revelations 2.

http://www.thejimquisition.com/2015/03/resident-evil-revelations-2-episode-3-judgment-review/

I dont understand how this is the same guy that praised REmake for it's obtuse puzzles and level design and gets utterly upset when the modern series tries to mimic it.

And the comments are even worse in that review, all it is pandering to Jims ego, and none of them having even played the damn game agreeing with him blindly.

Anung

Un Rama
I dont think I could have disagreed more with Jim Sterlings review of the latest episode of Revelations 2.

http://www.thejimquisition.com/2015/03/resident-evil-revelations-2-episode-3-judgment-review/

I dont understand how this is the same guy that praised REmake for it's obtuse puzzles and level design and gets utterly upset when the modern series tries to mimic it.

And the comments are even worse in that review, all it is pandering to Jims ego, and none of them having even played the damn game agreeing with him blindly.

I love Jim's Jimquisition stuff and pretty much agree with everything he says but I cannot abide the dudes opinions during reviews on everything else. He has no clue. And the "logic" behind his opinions during reviews are batshit.

Zenfalcia

Look I don't want to know about your freaky masturbation habits
i don't mind.
God, I hate this garbage and people like the guy in the vid so much. I feel bad for those who have to live with shit like this being completely legal in certain states (well, unless you're black, in which case you'll probably just get shot anyway), but I am so glad guns are outlawed here entirely, let alone not having to deal with open-carry laws.
People are just dumb.
Nope double checked, super free, can't get me
You forgot something tho.

You're just going to waste your time doing nothing.

I've gotten 20x combos 3 times now and still no achievement. What the fuck.

Seriously though, is it just me or does Hotline Miami 2 have a lot more "enemies that attack you off the screen" kind of moments, where pressing shift and extending your view doesn't put them onto your screen before they start shooting at you?
The game seems to have a lot more large areas than its predecessor. Also slightly more gun-heavy or at least the guns have a bigger impact as you're often moving in large, open environments.
Maybe I just need to git gud, but I feel like I have had one too many "Oh, I couldn't see that there was an enemy down/up there and he shot me with extreme accuracy" moments.

No, that's what everyone is saying. The game is a lot more trial and error than Hotline Miami 1 is.

Which Chris Paolini copied from.

Man Eragon was essentially plagiarism.
Do you know rule 1 of writing? Rule 1 of writing is "somebody already had this idea." Eragon is basically a tvtropes fantasy compilation, yeah. But it's well written and fun, so it was successful enough that the rest of the series, which becomes increasingly good, got published.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
God, I hate this garbage and people like the guy in the vid so much. I feel bad for those who have to live with shit like this being completely legal in certain states (well, unless you're black, in which case you'll probably just get shot anyway), but I am so glad guns are outlawed here.

I'd be much more nationalistic if most of the deep south didn't exist or was less racist.

Every day I'm reminded how lucky I am to be in a super liberal state with the highest voter turnout in the nation, one of the least racist, and with one of the highest literacy rates.

Seriously though, is it just me or does Hotline Miami 2 have a lot more "enemies that attack you off the screen" kind of moments, where pressing shift and extending your view doesn't put them onto your screen before they start shooting at you?
The game seems to have a lot more large areas than its predecessor. Also slightly more gun-heavy or at least the guns have a bigger impact as you're often moving in large, open environments.
Maybe I just need to git gud, but I feel like I have had one too many "Oh, I couldn't see that there was an enemy down/up there and he shot me with extreme accuracy" moments.

I'm watching the quick look on giant bomb and man this game looks rough. There are so many enemies just packed together in rooms that it just pushes the player to play it more like a cover shooter than anything else and that looks boring as hell. Level design is pretty awful as well, but the OST sounds great and the story actually looks pretty interesting.

But yeah, this is something I wouldn't even think about touching until it makes it to PS Plus.

I'd be much more nationalistic if most of the deep south didn't exist or was less racist.

Every day I'm reminded how lucky I am to be in a super liberal state with the highest voter turnout in the nation, one of the least racist, and with one of the highest literacy rates.
I live in Georgia.

I'm watching the quick look on giant bomb and man this game looks rough. There are so many enemies just packed together in rooms that it just pushes the player to play it more like a cover shooter than anything else and that looks boring as hell. Level design is pretty awful as well, but the OST sounds great and the story actually looks pretty interesting.

But yeah, this is something I wouldn't even think about touching until it makes it to PS Plus.

The game isn't really pushing you to play cautiously. It's just making it harder for you to rush through. You can still beat levels by rushing through once you learn the enemy placement and movement. If you want to get A+ on levels or even just beat missions in hard mode you need to rush. Rush.

The game isn't really pushing you to play cautiously. It's just making it harder for you to rush through. You can still beat levels by rushing through once you learn the enemy placement and movement. If you want to get A+ on levels or even just beat missions in hard mode you need to rush. Rush.

That sounds like trial and error and memorization more than actual skill and reaction speed.

Also, if someone's dying a lot by attempting to rush through compared to playing cautiously where they're making progress, that's more incentive for the player to play the rest of the game cautious. I haven't seen the first one, but from what I hear the levels are more balanced where rushing through seems like the better strategy in comparison.

That sounds like trial and error and memorization more than actual skill and reaction speed.

Its skill based in the same way Super Meat Boy is skill based. For the lesser skilled player, it's trial and error. For the higher skilled player, it's muscle memory and reaction speed, plus memorization.

The soundtrack is amazing, I've occasionally just stood still to take in the music at times. The rest of the game is quite rough and I'm not entirely sure I fully enjoy the more narrative nature of the game. It's fine and it leads up to some truly fucked up moments, but the way it keeps limitations one way or another (forced characters, melee or no-death only) can sometimes be a bit annoying. I don't mind it too much and I understand why they're there though.

It seems like this game has the DS2 effect where they're just cramming more enemies into rooms and hiding enemies behind windows/out of view of the camera to artificially increase difficulty, but ruining the level design as a result.

But I shouldn't speak much more on the topic, since I've never seen the first game so idk if HM1 was like that as well.

ultimax

Just finished Hotline Miami 1. That ending
where you play as the biker guy was pretty cool. Im still kinda confused though.

The charge blade is sick. I'd just switch around between what you like. That's what I do.

BUT I DON'T KNOW WHAT I LIKE EVERYTHING FEELS GREAT.

Like I love the Glaive because of the stat boost and jump-at-any-time ability.

I love the switchblade because of how quickly you can swap between the two modes and how mobile you are.

I really like the chargeblade because in its normal stance, it's quick with some defense, and then you press a button to do a cool pose and unleash a monster of an attack!

Mathaou

legacy of cane
It is, but they do so in a different way. HM was mostly "design a strategy to get through these enemies and try to execute this strategy perfectly", whereas HM2 has more moments where it's "learn enemy positions by getting shot in the face from off-screen".

HM rarely felt truly unfair. It just required muscle memory, a good strategy and fast reactions. You could always see the enemies and death was harsh, but often fair (aside from glitchy doors).

I tend to agree, but I'm finding the melee weapons and luring enemies to work much better in HM2. I just take a knife and clear out an entire room by just moving fast and hiding around corners.

It's kind of broken, really.

360pages

Its skill based in the same way Super Meat Boy is skill based. For the lesser skilled player, it's trial and error. For the higher skilled player, it's muscle memory and reaction speed, plus memorization.

Super Meat Boy is the type of game where I enjoy, but I always found something somewhat off about it. I love it, but I can't put it above the recent Rayman games.

Super Meat Boy is the type of game where I enjoy, but I always found something somewhat off about it. I love it, but I can't put it above the recent Rayman games.

I personally think it's the greatest 2d platformer ever made. The range of motion, speed, and agility given to the player, on such a limited amount of control options is astounding, and the rapid fire nature of the game lends itself to me more.

It's certainly not for everyone.

Top Bottom