• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 16: You thought Woolie was the Liar, but it was me Patrick!

Watch someone try to make a peripheral for fighters on a touchscreen

ion-icade-mobile-mobile-game-controller-for-iphone-and-ipod-touch-adds-physical-buttons-and-d-pad-rotating-cradle-connects-wirelessly-with-bluetooth-compatible-with-hundreds-of-games-ergonomic-design-batteries-included-1.gif

The Famicon one looks really cool tho.

semisonic

Banned
A lot of that has to do with the people making mobile games not giving a shit about optimal control schemes.

We will get to a point where touch based everything is reality.
Which is why they are inferior game developers. Controls are possibly the single most important thing in a game. And until there is a viable mobile alternative to a controller, it is largely impossible for a mario 3d world or a bayonetta 2 to exist on a mobile

And we'll talk about it then.
But to me that sounds like some super future mumbo jumbo that middle-aged investors dazzled by new technology thought would've happened by now back in 2003.

Has it ever occured to you that a mouse and keyboard is actually way more efficient for doing most things on a pc than a touchscreen is? Because that's a generally accepted concept.
People use touchsreens because they're cool and a novelty and make sense for some things that I can't name because whatever.
People don't use touchscreens because they're well optimized for more complex tasks, ranging from programming to gaming.
If you ever see a programmer doing his work on a goddamn virtual keyboard, slap that shit out of his hands, because he is either a shitty programmer or not trying at his job.
Similarly, if I ever(in this weird, scary future of yours) see someone playing smash on a touchscreen, I will get out my gamecube controller and beat their ass, because touchscreens just don't allow as many simultaneous actions as a controller with handles and triggers.

But hey, on a decidedly unsarcastic note, if you want to play games on your mobile devices, go right ahead. I'm not going to stop you, and I can even sympathize with not wanting to buy a new console every generation. But it is an impossiility for smartphone games to ever reach the complexity or quality attainable by the best of modern console or pc games.

Which is why they are inferior game developers. Controls are possibly the single most important thing in a game. And until there is a viable mobile alternative to a controller, it is largely impossible for a mario 3d world or a bayonetta 2 to exist on a mobile

And we'll talk about it then.
But to me that sounds like some super future mumbo jumbo that middle-aged investors dazzled by new technology thought would've happened by now back in 2003.

Has it ever occured to you that a mouse and keyboard is actually way more efficient for doing most things on a pc than a touchscreen is? Because that's a generally accepted concept.
People use touchsreens because they're cool and a novelty and make sense for some things that I can't name because whatever.
People don't use touchscreens because they're well optimized for more complex tasks, ranging from programming to gaming.
If you ever see a programmer doing his work on a goddamn virtual keyboard, slap that shit out of his hands, because he is either a shitty programmer or not trying at his job.
Similarly, if I ever(in this weird, scary future of yours) see someone playing smash on a touchscreen, I will get out my gamecube controller and beat their ass, because touchscreens just don't allow as many simultaneous actions as a controller with handles and triggers.

But hey, on a decidedly unsarcastic note, if you want to play games on your mobile devices, go right ahead. I'm not going to stop you, and I can even sympathize with not wanting to buy a new console every generation. But it is an impossiility for smartphone games to ever reach the complexity or quality attainable by the best of modern console or pc games.

I grew up primarily a Mac gamer. I know about keyboard and mouse.

I don't see this touchscreen future as weird or particularly scary.

I just want to know if it's a really viable future.

And never say never. They will be a developer so passionate about mobile games that they become to mobile what Valve became to PC.

Podcast. He said something like "Those people that complained about it being too hard are the people that enjoy their C Ranks"

Eh, he's kind of right. People who complain about the game forcing you to play defensively are usually the people getting Cs and Bs. Still, playing non defensively is pretty hard. Even people who were really good at the first game had trouble with it.

semisonic

Banned
I grew up primarily a Mac gamer. I know about keyboard and mouse.

I don't see this touchscreen future as weird or particularly scary.

I just want to know if it's a really viable future.

And never say never. They will be a developer so passionate about mobile games that they become to mobile what Valve became to PC.

You know what?
Okay.
I can't see the future, and some developer may pop up like that.
If they make a commonplace, quality controller for mobile that's basically plug and play, and games are made for this controller, then I will acknowledge that there might be a future there.
However, I don't believe that there will ever be a time in which touch based everything replaces traditional console or especially pc gaming.
There may be a time when touch integration is standard, but never where touch is the only form of control.
I'm scared of this future you speak of because while there is something of a push in the mobile direction, there has been no corresponding jump in quality that would make it a valid counterpart to console, pc, and handheld gaming. In other words, what I'm scared of is this idea that convenience will trump quality, and the games that I love and have decided to dedicate my life to(in terms of both playing and creating) will fall as a medium.
I don't believe it will ever happen, if it is in fact a viable future, it is certainly not one that is good for gaming as a field and as a hobby alike.

Eh, he's kind of right. People who complain about the game forcing you to play defensively are usually the people getting Cs and Bs. Still, playing non defensively is pretty hard. Even people who were really good at the first game had trouble with it.
Still, it's kind of presumptuous to say "You think it's too hard because you suck". Like bull said
It was way too hard and I got one C and it was on the 3rd war mission
You can think it's hard and still do well in it

People seem to misunderstand what the whole thing actually means.

People are freaking out for no discernible reason.
I see it as Nintendo keeping their pig stuffed with money.

I'm scared of this future you speak of because while there is something of a push in the mobile direction, there has been no corresponding jump in quality that would make it a valid counterpart to console, pc, and handheld gaming. In other words, what I'm scared of is this idea that convenience will trump quality, and the games that I love and have decided to dedicate my life to(in terms of both playing and creating) will fall as a medium. I don't believe it will ever happen, if it is in fact a viable future, it is certainly not one that is good for gaming as a field and as a hobby alike.

You sound just like the Arcade gamers who were terrified of arcades disappearing.

They will not completely disappear. They will become niche.

Dedicated consoles and handhelds are slowly becoming niche already. I'm not worried about mobile being the be all of video games. They won't be.

Just got done rehearsing for another milestone presentation for my game project. Now all I gotta do is wait for class later to present it.

...I just wanna go home and play more Armored Core 3, dammit. I'm celebrating Mechaweek in my own way.

croten

People are freaking out for no discernible reason.
I see it as Nintendo keeping their pig stuffed with money.

You sound just like the Arcade games who were terrified of arcades disappearing.

They will not completely disappear. They will become niche.

Dedicated consoles and handhelds are slowly becoming niche already. I'm not worried about mobile being the be all of video games. They won't be.

Except Arcades have all but completely disappeared

Except Arcades have all but completely disappeared

Because console gaming was BETTER and didn't force feed money out of your pocket every time you died. That's why Atari was so successful.

Look, Movies and TV were also said to fully kill radio, but it's hasn't. Radio is smaller than it was decades ago, but it's there.

semisonic

Banned
Because console gaming was BETTER and didn't force feed money out of your pocket every time you died. That's why Atari was so successful.

Look, Movies and TV were also said to fully kill radio, but it's hasn't. Radio is smaller than it was decades ago, but it's there.

I kinda feel this invalidated your earlier comparison.

To me, the choice between mobile gaming and traditional gaming is a war between convenience and price(together) and quality.
And it's one I really hope quality wins.

Top Bottom