• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 16: You thought Woolie was the Liar, but it was me Patrick!

semisonic

Banned
I'm not nuts and I have the New 3DS. I'm just accepting the future that is mobile gaming.

It's very old guard and elitist to not even attempt to play or try mobile games.

It may be old guard, but I don't consider it elitist. Because the touchscreen by itself is an inherently worse control device than a controller.
I've tried mobile games, both mobile originals and ports of console games.
And I did not come away impressed, with a few exceptions like Chaos Rings or whatever the fuck that square thing was called.
That was cool.

SteveTR

Oh yeah! I remember now.

I see people are changing their avatars. I should probably hop on the bandwagon before it's too late.

Oberon

Banned

957961-mara.jpg

Numb

Screw it i am sleeping. Time to fix my sleep schedule. Goodnight guys.
Fuck Monster Hunter im playing Call of duty tomorrow.

It may be old guard, but I don't consider it elitist. Because the touchscreen by itself is an inherently worse control device than a controller.
And I did not come away impressed, with a few exceptions like Chaos Rings or whatever the fuck that square thing was called.
That was cool.

Infinity Blade was a very novel but good way of making mobile games.
Balder's Gate even got an iOS port.

And no, the touch screen is not worse. You and all of the gamers my age are too used to the controller.

If the new WiiU Kirby game can incorporate touch controls in a way to make the experience fun, so can other Nintendo IPs.

I would like to play video games without having to buy hardware every couple of years. If Nintendo mastered that with mobile games, then they would dominate mobile in the US quite easily.

One of the biggest markets with mobile games are children and Nintendo goes where kids play video games.

That was cool.
The mobile games can be total shit, but I don't really mind. It's revenue and there's nothing pointing towards Ninty quitting or even slowing console game sales, and that's what matters.

I don't really care about the Nintendo mobile deal. I have faith in Nintendy's quality control and this should shut up the investors for a little while.

I don't really care as long as we still get console/handheld games.
Pretty much how I feel

Right now, the mobile market is a wild west, where flashy and ostentatious games are pulling money out of people's pockets unfairly.

If Ninty gets in there, with their IP and name recognition, they can get people to pay 15-20 dollars for a mobile game. I believe this to be true.

The games themselves would have to step up and compete with nintendo branded games and actually provide value to the users.

You sound like a businessman, you are aren't you?

And no, the touch screen is not worse. You and all of the gamers my age are too used to the controller.

If the new WiiU Kirby game can incorporate touch controls in a way to make the experience fun, so can other Nintendo IPs.

I would like to play video games without having to buy hardware every couple of years. If Nintendo mastered that with mobile games, then they would dominate mobile in the US quite easily.

One of the biggest markets with mobile games are children and Nintendo goes where kids play video games.
Im probably like a child compared to some people, but I haaate touch screens for games

If the new Kirby game can incorporate touch controls in a way to make the experience fun, so can other Nintendo IPs.

Remember the reason why NA didn't get the regular N3DS? Fat fingers obstruct the screen and leave fingerprints (and who knows what else, maybe chip dust) all over it. Touch screen works, but it is less than optimal when compared to physical inputs. I've got several games on my phone, and some frienders have Love Live, but I would enjoy the games as much, maybe even more, on a handheld or console.

You sound like a businessman, you are aren't you?

you-got-me.gif

I don't get paid nearly enough to be a businessman.

Remember the reason why NA didn't get the regular N3DS? Fat fingers obstruct the screen and leave fingerprints (and who knows what else, maybe chip dust) all over it. Touch screen works, but it is less than optimal when compared to physical inputs. I've got several games on my phone, and some frienders have Love Live, but I would enjoy the games as much, maybe even more, on a handheld or console.

But you have to understand there's a difference between what you prefer and what people will pay for.

EX: I HATE having a touchscreen phone, because I suck at typing on it, but as far as a premium smartphone with a physical keyboard, I'm left out of options. I have to adapt.

semisonic

Banned

If the new Kirby game can incorporate touch controls in a way to make the experience fun, so can other Nintendo IPs.

No it's not about the fact it's a touch screen.(Although I would be lying if I said that I even once thought to myself that a visual-only nub on a touchscreen was as good a form of controlling as either a control stick or the circle pad pro).
It's about the fact that there's only one screen to touch, where everything is also displayed.
To touch covers up the screen, and if there are functional buttons that need to be pressed, then they take up a massive amount of said screen.
Thus, they are left with two real options
Have overly simplistic controls
or
have the only games you make be very slow, turn based affairs.
Alternatively, they could just have a fucking mess of a hud, but then that leaves no space for the game itself to take place.

There's a reason there has never been a gaming-specific machine that is entirely touch-based.

But you have to understand there's a difference between what you prefer and what people will pay for.
EX: I HATE having a touchscreen phone, because I suck at typing on it, but as far as a premium smartphone with a physical keyboard, I'm left out of options. I have to adapt.

Pokemon Shuffle was given out for free with Spotpass, the same can be done with my selection of phone games hypthetically speaking off course

As for the keyboard, with some Android phones you can type with a swipe, which is as a good as physically typing with some dictionary hiccups (I have to manually type suck, for example)

There's a reason there has never been a gaming-specific machine that is entirely touch-based.

A lot of that has to do with the people making mobile games not giving a shit about optimal control schemes.

We will get to a point where touch based everything is reality.

To touch covers up the screen, and if there are functional buttons that need to be pressed, then they take up a massive amount of said screen.

Bingo

Fighters are almost immediately out of being viable for phone gaming
I actually downloaded Street Fighter 2 on an old physical button phone, and had a lot of fun with Fei Long, but it just wasn't the same

croten

A lot of that has to do with the people making mobile games not giving a shit about optimal control schemes.

We will get to a point where touch based everything is reality.

Touch screens can work with a lot of things but video games aren't one of them. Not exclusively anyway. I think the DS does it best.

Top Bottom