• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 16: You thought Woolie was the Liar, but it was me Patrick!

I also really like the Kingdom Hearts collection boxarts.

KHHD%20COVER.jpeg

Xiraiya

Did you like the maymays and references?
It's an entertaining game, I don't mind the Awkwardness in dialogue because it makes me think of Deadly Premonition in that regard.
Though I don't see why it's so hard for localization teams to just use regular English if they can't translate something directly.

The only meme I remember seeing in the episode was the "epic win" comment Chloe made.

Ok... Just... DMC3 though...

DMC1 is a good game but can be frustrating. DMC2 you can play for an hour and decide it's garbage. Part of me is twitching and wants you to just play 3, but whatever you'll do it eventually.
You know I'm considering skipping 2 for now since I'm going to take a break in between anyway.

1 > 3 > break > try out 2 > 4 > Never play DmC

That sounds like a good plan.
MGS HD Limited Edition and MGS Legacy collection look alright. The rest look bad.

Oh come on
It's not the greatest but I wouldn't call it bad per se.

You know I'm considering skipping 2 for now since I'm going to take a break in between anyway.

1 > 3 > break > try out 2 > 4 > Never play DmC

That sounds like a good plan.
Oh come on
It's not the greatest but I wouldn't call it bad per se.
Yayyyy.

Also to point out with the MPT, that's a removable plastic cover over a steel case that has the Wii logo and words under it. The case itself is just the art and game logo.

My friend was showing me pro level yukaris and they were doing a bunch of crazy shit with it and her unblockable air bomb.

I'm sure it has a place in combos, but I'm not exactly a pro lol. And I'm pretty sure her air bomb is blockable, but you can't air recover from it, making it really good for chaining into other combos/moves.

The problem is, a lot of her combos that involve throwing the bomb in the middle of a move to have some ridiculously hard timing (or using 25 SP for quicker recovery), and since I play 90% online, its really not worth it.

I just looked it up and yeah its unblockable in the air.

I was talking about the ground, since I've seen AI block it before while on the ground, but I guess its unblockable in the air. I know there are some good corner setups with it that I've seen, but I'm not dedicated enough to fighting games in general to master it. I can't even do her BnB 70% of the time and I've been trying it for weeks.

Zenfalcia

I have a thing for drawing cyborg women...
Nice, duly noted.
It's an entertaining game, I don't mind the Awkwardness in dialogue because it makes me think of Deadly Premonition in that regard.
Though I don't see why it's so hard for localization teams to just use regular English if they can't translate something directly.

The only meme I remember seeing in the episode was the "epic win" comment Chloe made.
Perhaps it was the way the approach they took to localizing it was a bad way? Or tried to make it "fit" with their idea of what the dialogue would be like. Who knows.

Nothing else?

I was talking about the ground, since I've seen AI block it before while on the ground, but I guess its unblockable in the air. I know there are some good corner setups with it that I've seen, but I'm not dedicated enough to fighting games in general to master it. I can't even do her BnB 70% of the time and I've been trying it for weeks.

git gud tho. also damn it mon hun is barely at like 25 percent.

Zenfalcia

Git gud tho.

Magic for shots is some of the most fun I've ever had.

Each shot counts for 5 life.

We kept fucking with each other by putting in more cards that healed each other one to make the other drink more.

So much fucking fun.

Depending on what you're localizing, people will bitch a lot if you diverge too much from a literal translation. Mostly it's weeaboos, but it probably happens with other languages.

Also, sometimes the localization folks probably can't figure out what a line is trying to say or come up with a good equivalent, so they wind up leaving a crap line in there.

Xiraiya

Nice, duly noted.
Perhaps it was the way the approach they took to localizing it was a bad way? Or tried to make it "fit" with their idea of what the dialogue would be like. Who knows.

Nothing else?

I don't know, I don't see a point in thinking too much about it, the awkwardness just makes it more entertaining with it's slightly cartoony look.

And not that I recall, ...oh wait there was Chloe saying "awesomesauce" But you know now that I think, the two meme references I noticed were both from her and no one else, so to me it just feels like it's part of her character to say dumb bullshit around Max, it may just be a coincidence but I think it's an interesting take, teenagers say dumb bullshit all the time ironically and unironically, so the game doesn't really feel like it misses the mark by too much with dialogue, and who knows it'll probably get better with time since they'll have feedback already before later episodes have been made/localized.

Mostly it's weeaboos,

I don't have a problem with translations that aren't one for one. The Neptunia translations are actually better in my opinion, since it's much more self aware. Danganronpa's was also great. Fire Emblem is on the edge of being a bit too much, but it works.

What I have a problem with is when they turn every single thing into a joke. The FUNi One Piece dub does this a fuck ton and it's infuriating to watch side-by-side.

Zenfalcia

I don't know, I don't see a point in thinking too much about it, the awkwardness just makes it more entertaining with it's slightly cartoony look.

And not that I recall, ...oh wait there was Chloe saying "awesomesauce" But you know now that I think, the two meme references I noticed were both from her and no one else, so to me it just feels like it's part of her character to say dumb bullshit around Max, it may just be a coincidence but I think it's an interesting take, teenagers say dumb bullshit all the time ironically and unironically, so the game doesn't really feel like it misses the mark by too much with dialogue, and who knows it'll probably get better with time since they'll have feedback already before later episodes have been made/localized.
Meh, it is what it is. Perhaps they wanted it to be awkward? That's always a possibility.

Hm... I suppose it does reflect people saying dumb things as a teenager... It's just grating for it to hear stuff like that being said.

Top Bottom