• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 17: I don't have Bloodborne or Monster Hunter... Uhh...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Numb

Cartoon Woolie in the Bloodborne intro having the ReBoot pin on his hat is pissing me off.
It seems so out of place.

Numb

It is there for a second but i notice it too hard.
That ending he was happy about was not even cannon. He should drop ReBoot as a thing. It even looks ugly as hell.

The Enforcers are used, via Inspector manipulation, to capture people alive. And the Sibyl system uses that methodology as a loophole in getting around the uselessness of the Dominators.
Tying this in to Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, I'm pretty sure if they're going to let you do a pacifist run, they'll give you knockout gas grenades again. You know what Sibyl could've used to capture those specific people alive or deal with hostage situations? Drones with knockout gas grenade launchers, a much neater and more reliable solution than relying on Enforcers to not kill the high value targets.

Tying this in to Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, I'm pretty sure if they're going to let you do a pacifist run, they'll give you knockout gas grenades again. You know what Sibyl could've used to capture those specific people alive or deal with hostage situations? Drones with knockout gas grenade launchers, a much neater and more reliable solution than relying on Enforcers to not kill the high value targets.

But having weaponry that exists outside of the Sibyl system undermines that system. If it's so powerful, why does it need drones that operate outside of it? That's why Enforcers are used as they're closely monitored by Inspectors (and therefore Sibyl) and all incidents involving elements unaffected by the Sibyl system are kept under wraps. It's political maneuvering to keep the public in the dark about how fucked up the system and society is.

But having weaponry that exists outside of the Sibyl system undermines that system. If it's so powerful, why does it need drones that operate outside of it? That's why Enforcers are used as they're closely monitored by Inspectors (and therefore Sibyl) and all incidents involving elements unaffected by the Sibyl system are kept under wraps. It's political maneuvering to keep the public in the dark about how fucked up the system and society is.
The system's covering the fact that it's
literally the brains of criminals
and that
people whose Psycho-Passes don't get clouded.
It can easily cover up the fact that it's got drones with knockout gas grenades (which would be under its control) for certain things. You can still have the Enforcers and Inspectors handle the humdrum shit while the drones handle the cases that require capturing targets alive no matter what.

The system's covering the fact that it's
literally the brains of criminals
and that
people whose Psycho-Passes don't get clouded.
It can easily cover up the fact that it's got drones with knockout gas grenades (which would be under its control) for certain things. You can still have the Enforcers and Inspectors handle the humdrum shit while the drones handle the cases that require capturing targets alive no matter what.

And then you have no story to tell if the main characters handle "humdrum shit" while the plot is handled by drones. Sure there are ways for the system to acquire targets alive, but that doesn't make for a story as interesting as Psycho-Pass.

I can't [be locked in a room] with Stamper, 'cause I think he'll kill me, I can't go with James because I know I'll kill him, but I think I can coexist with Plague. -Pat

And then you have no story to tell if the main characters handle "humdrum shit" while the plot is handled by drones. Sure there are ways for the system to acquire targets alive, but that doesn't make for a story as interesting as Psycho-Pass.
Psycho-Pass wasn't interesting, though. It was pretty much babby's first dystopia with barely fleshed out characters and tons of literary call-outs, including ones to classic dystopian works that were way better.

Pat is incredibly correct about fire alarms. It takes me 10 full minutes to get out of bed, and I've had 4 false fire alarms in my building since i moved in 6 months ago. I'm not saying fire alarms are useless, but they are 70% useless. And that fucking sucks.

I watched that MK X launch trailer after they talked about it on the podcast. I knew SOAD used their music for it, but I still can't believe it was Chop Suey of all fucking things.

It's so weird, yet so fucking amazing and totally is something Matt would've made.

Beloved

Psycho-Pass wasn't interesting, though. It was pretty much babby's first dystopia with barely fleshed out characters and tons of literary call-outs, including ones to classic dystopian works that were way better.

You mean, Psycho-Pass wasn't interesting to you.

Speaking of anime though. Gintama is back tonight and the Super Best Friends needs to fucking watch it. It's basically all of their humor in anime form + badass shit + feels. What's not to love?

Zenfalcia

You mean, Psycho-Pass wasn't interesting to you.

Speaking of anime though. Gintama is back tonight and the Super Best Friends needs to fucking watch it. It's basically all of their humor in anime form + badass shit + feels. What's not to love?
The art.
:p

Zenfalcia

They have indeed.

Any ideas on what content we're getting in an hour?

Also man I dont think I'm ever gonna catch up with podcasts.
Like horse dildos.

I'm going to guess Life is strange? They've been talking about it on the podcast..

Not with that attitude.

But this is a value judgment of taste and stands in contrast to other value judgements (which I'm aware is a wiki link and comes with all that baggage)
Sure, you're free to agree with them, just as I am free to disagree with them. I think a lot of the critics mentioned in the wiki article were primarily focused on the themes, rather than the whole story. But I think that if you approach Psycho-Pass from a more analytical POV, the entire thing falls apart from a storytelling perspective and generally doesn't measure up to the stuff it references.

Beloved

Especially the rainbow ones.

You could just listen to them non-stop. You could probably go through at least 3 a day. ;)

nah man, I have school in the morning, then been playing Pillars of Eternity for 3-4 hours a day (I dont like having other background noise when I'm in game), and I have stuff I've been watching etc. It's just hard to fit in 3 hours of just listening to something.

And there's no way in hell I could listen to more than one in a day, SBF is great and all but I still don't want to listen to them talking for 9 hours. Haha

Zenfalcia

That's so many tho.

I build up a little backlog, and put them on when I'm tired of listening to music at work. It's efficient.
You can do it if you put your mind to it and never take off your headphone/earphones while you do things!

Just be inefficient and just loop podcasts like a crazy person.
nah man, I have school in the morning, then been playing Pillars of Eternity for 3-4 hours a day (I dont like having other background noise when I'm in game), and I have stuff I've been watching etc. It's just hard to fit in 3 hours of just listening to something.

And there's no way in hell I could listen to more than one in a day, SBF is great and all but I still don't want to listen to them talking for 9 hours. Haha
Shame, gaming and podcasts work pretty well.

It's fine, what's the worst that can happen?

Xiraiya

At about 3:25:30 on the podcast, you can hear Liam whispering to Pat that it was Adventure time
sKxBStm.png

It better turn out to be true, be careful with your words.

croten

I honestly can't play a game without background noise anymore. LP backlogs and podcasts are great for that. Anime, however, is not.
At about 3:25:30 on the podcast, you can hear Liam whispering to Pat that it was Adventure time

Considering Pat seemed to have no idea what Woolie was talking about I assume he was joking.

I honestly can't play a game without background noise anymore. LP backlogs and podcasts are great for that. Anime, however, is not.
Unless the game is something heavy on sound (Thief and anything else is a terrible combination) or any story stuff, I'm pretty much the same. I need a video or podcast in the background while playing a game otherwise.

Xiraiya

It makes no sense to block out game audio with podcasts or LPs or whatever else unless you've heard the game a bunch of times, after about a hundred hours of Dark Souls I started listening to the Friendcasts instead.

It makes no sense to block out game audio with podcasts or LPs or whatever else unless you've heard the game a bunch of times, after about a hundred hours of Dark Souls I started listening to the Friendcasts instead.

There are some games where I'm only interested in playing the game, and care very little about the story, themes, characters etc. Or I'm able to read those things and the music and VAs just aren't entertaining. And there are even times where the room feels empty without the sound of an LP or podcast.

Beloved

Shame, gaming and podcasts work pretty well.

It's fine, what's the worst that can happen?

I'd end up tuning out the podcast, so it'd defeat the purpose.

And I could die!

I could see doing that with certain kinds of games but it would kill my immersion in things like Pillars of Eternity to listen to a podcast. Also see above post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom