• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 17: I don't have Bloodborne or Monster Hunter... Uhh...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Late but whatever

Looks like you guys finally understand my "SMT x FE" salt. TOOK LONG ENOUGH.

yes im still salty

qEdJY1s.jpg

THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN.

WE WERE SO CLOSE.

sjay1994

It's okay. An angry ginger man told me that SMT characters suck and are boring.

Hopefully they'll make some cameos like an optional boss or something.

I can't wait for when people find the secret demi-fiend boss in FEXSMT, and half way through the fight, he rips his face off revealing he was Yu Narukami all along.

The sounds of skla's screams will be glorious.

ultimax

My Demi-fiend vs Ike rival fight fanfictions are as good as noncanon again.

That one cameo in that one SMT spinoff is still one of my favorites. I really hope they're more than cameos, but I'll take what I can get for more SMT.

I can't believe we're settling for cameos in a god damn CROSSOVER

Pat basically nailed it in the podcast, the teaser misled a bunch of us and people who wanted that are disappointed.

My lack of investment in FE makes me less salt, but I get why people would be.

Pat basically nailed it in the podcast, the teaser misled a bunch of us and people who wanted that are disappointed.

I'm still surprised that Pat was impressed with the trailer. I was expecting him to share Woolie's opinion of it being too anime.

For someone who's played FE 4,6,7,8,PoR, RD and Awakening, its really disappointing.

Especially when Hector is basically the Demi-Fiend of the FE universe. And Ike is like the coolest guy ever. But I really need to stop criticizing it. Its a trailer and I shouldn't judge more than what I've seen. Unless they outright come out and say that the game has 0 FE or SMT characters and the game itself ends up sucking, then I'm still gonna be there day 1 for it.

demidar

I think it's an interesting direction to take the crossover in. I watched the GameXplain analysis video and I think it's way too fucking early to judge.

I hope that post-apocalypse stuff actually contains a meaty part of the game. Post-apocalypse is an SMT tradition right?

All the salt is hilarious to me.

I think it's an interesting direction to take the crossover in. I watched the GameXplain analysis video and I think it's way too fucking early to judge.

I hope that post-apocalypse stuff actually contains a meaty part of the game. Post-apocalypse is an SMT tradition right?

Most SMT games are. The mainline SMT games are set in post-apocalyptic as well as some of the spin offs. Others take place in modern Japan like Persona or Devil Survivor.

I'm still surprised that Pat was impressed with the trailer. I was expecting him to share Woolie's opinion of it being too anime.
Same, but I think he's open to how ATLUS handles lighthearted content :p

Fo sho. I'm super interested to see more.

SMT1's coolest feature is you're a normal kid the first 5%
, then demons for awhile, then your family dies and you fuse your dog into a demon, then you make some friends...

Basically it goes from everyday kid the first 25%, and slowly ramps up to the end being you fighting God.

Fo sho. I'm super interested to see more.

SMT1's coolest feature is you're a normal kid the first 5%
, then demons for awhile, then your family dies and you fuse your dog into a demon, then you make some friends...

Basically it goes from everyday kid the first 25%, and slowly ramps up to the end being you fighting God.
Well, techincally
the archangels is as high as you go in the pantheon (and Lucifer for the other spectrum). God doesn't become a boss you fight until SMT 2 when Tokyo Millenium is a thing.

Man if Ike were thrust into SMT, he'd basically become post-apocalyptic Guts. Goddammit some of you guys' salt is spilling onto me. That being said, my initial hostility towards the trailer is waning. I wouldn't say I'm warming up to the artstyle but it's not bothering me as much anymore. So, I kinda share both Pat's and Woolie's perspectives on this trailer.
Whoof, I almost posted this without a reference to the Best Friends. Istill have not adjusted.

The trailer made me sad because it is clearly not a crossover game, which i was expecting and really wanted.

So now I am just trying to force myself to completely ignore exactly what the first teaser made me expect and instead considered it a whole new and separate game that will have a lot of weird references. And on that note, the trailer is just kind of confusing as i have no idea what is going on in the (what looks like) battle scenes. Also, slightly disappointed that apparently the devil survivor guys are making it? Or at least 1 guy from the interview I read. I played the original DS at E3 way back and was massively disappointed since a tactical SMT game is something I'd dreamed of playing and DS just felt horrible to me almost instantly. On the plus side at least this game doesn't look like a tactics game(ignoring the fact that's exactly what i wanted from smtxfe in the first place...) so maybe they will do this better.

Ilvocare

I can't handle that Life is Strange video, it's too hopped up on ridalin.

Also I have more faith than usual that there's going to be characters from, if not SMT then at the very least FE in SMTxFE.

After all, Tiki's right there.

It seems obvious that this game is what the developers of Awakening were talking about when discussing "how would we make a Fire Emblem in the modern age?"

The answer seems to be get some help and themes from SMT.

EDIT: What's wrong with you Phoenix, Devil Survivor is a great SRPG.

The trailer made me sad because it is clearly not a crossover game, which i was expecting and really wanted.

So now I am just trying to force myself to completely ignore exactly what the first teaser made me expect and instead considered it a whole new and separate game that will have a lot of weird references. And on that note, the trailer is just kind of confusing as i have no idea what is going on in the (what looks like) battle scenes. Also, slightly disappointed that apparently the devil survivor guys are making it? Or at least 1 guy from the interview I read. I played the original DS at E3 way back and was massively disappointed since a tactical SMT game is something I'd dreamed of playing and DS just felt horrible to me almost instantly. On the plus side at least this game doesn't look like a tactics game(ignoring the fact that's exactly what i wanted from smtxfe in the first place...) so maybe they will do this better.

DeSu:OC is one of my favorite SMT games and my favorite SRPG. The depth of a SMT combat system (without press turn, but with its own new mechanics) mixed with a tactics of a SRPG. It also had multiple routes to choose from that each felt genuinely different from each other with the added new day at the end of each route. Plus it even has a law route that doesn't suck.

And it has my second favorite OST in the megaten franchise. If people based an entire opinion of an SMT game based off a demo people probably would've hated Nocturne and almost every other SMT game. Those games, especially DeSu since its a SRPG, require you to sit with the game for hours and really get into the mechanics and the demon fusing to appreciate what it tries to do. It has some flaws, especially some of the characters, but its a damn solid game and one of the better SRPGs I've played.

Its clock system is also the closest to TWEWY's compared to any other video game, but unlike TWEWY that just uses that as a device to push the plot forward, the time mechanic in DeSu can actually determine who lives/dies and which route you end up on.

EDIT: What's wrong with you Phoenix, Devil Survivor is a great SRPG.

Its been a very long time since I last attempted to play it, but I remember really not liking the whole thing with each unit being an entire party. As much as I enjoyed Bahamut Lagoon, its kinda of a backwards mechanic to have in a tactics game I think... and BL gave you an awesome dragon to mess around with, so that kinda made up for it.

EDIT: I spent time with the DS games post release and nothing really changed my opinion on the combat. All the other stuff I can't really comment on and honestly sounds fantastic. Just wish it was attached to a didn't combat system.

Ants

Pat's story about the fire alarm is, like, the opposite of there being a fire.

Also, thanks, Matt, for the shoutouts to people who cannot smell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom