• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 17: I don't have Bloodborne or Monster Hunter... Uhh...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well then...as of now I have 100% completion of Armored Core Nexus. Both discs. Super accomplished.

Guess with that, my save is now ready for transfer to Nine Breaker.

Ants

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=858592

btw could you tell me if this is in Hiragana or Katakana?
smtif-5.png

Thanks.

Looks like hiragana.

My vocabulary and grammar are non-existent but it looks like something about "Snakes are welcome this way"? Something involving those words for sure, if I'm reading the spacing right.

I think most games, especially text-heavy ones like RPGs, seem to use a loooot of hiragana, so that seems to be the most useful in video games, in my limited experience.

Thanks.

Looks like hiragana.

My vocabulary and grammar are non-existent but it looks like something about "Snakes are welcome this way"? Something involving those words for sure, if I'm reading the spacing right.

I think most games, especially text-heavy ones like RPGs, seem to use a loooot of hiragana, so that seems to be the most useful in video games, in my limited experience.

You know instead of a givaway you could just give it to me since it is my Birthday today just saying >3>
jokes. I dont even know what youre giving away

Thanks.

Looks like hiragana.

Alright I'll look into learning more hiragana.
Do you want to read it for the story?
Story and gameplay. If I believe correctly, it has the most polished mechanics of the SNES SMT era games.

Story and gameplay. If I believe correctly, it has the most polished mechanics of the SNES SMT era games.
Have fun learning 1-2k kanji. If you just learn Hiragana and Katakana you can scrap by though if you learn basic terms and can understand Japanglish. Gameplay stuff and terms are usually in Katakana.

Its more a middle game area. Not late. I however managed to beast the darkbeast on my first trip after getting kidnapped.

I could probably attempt it, but it would take me a long time to do it and I'd rather just explore where I'm supposed to go. But being the idiot I am, I decided to explore around the prison and jesus fuck this music and god damn this is all so terrifying so I just booked it lol.

BB spoilers

I was informed by everyone in the OT that
the boss in the prison and the prison area itself isn't the fourth area and I should get the hell out. Leave it to From and Miyazaki to literally drag you to a late game area and fuck you up.

I would explore the streets outside. I did and it was worth it. Just run past the guys with the bags.

Ants

Alright I'll look into learning more hiragana.

This site got me up to speed with hiragana in a day, and katakana a day after that. It won't teach you how to write, but it will certainly teach you how to read quickly.

A lot of my fluent friends recommend Genki for learning grammar in particular, but it's a great resource all around. One of my friends' Japanese teacher was a native speaker who recommended Genki, so I have to imagine it's pretty great.

You will need to learn some kanji to play most games, because games are going to assume a grade school education, and kids learn some common kanji. Genki seems to be a great resource for this, as does WaniKani, which is by the tofugu people, I think.

You should find a good jisho (dictionary, easier to search for with the word jisho), and a way to search for radicals (the shapes that make up kanji). I don't have particularly great resources for that aside from Genki at the moment.

The one thing I would caution against tofugu is that it does not teach stroke order, which seems like it will become pretty important. Try to find another resource for that. All I've really found aside from Genki are charts.

This site got me up to speed with hiragana in a day, and katakana a day after that. It won't teach you how to write, but it will certainly teach you how to read quickly.

A lot of my fluent friends recommend Genki for learning grammar in particular, but it's a great resource all around. One of my friends' Japanese teacher was a native speaker who recommended Genki, so I have to imagine it's pretty great.

You will need to learn some kanji to play most games, because games are going to assume a grade school education, and kids learn some common kanji. Genki seems to be a great resource for this, as does WaniKani, which is by the tofugu people, I think.

You should find a good jisho (dictionary, easier to search for with the word jisho), and a way to search for radicals (the shapes that make up kanji). I don't have particularly great resources for that aside from Genki at the moment.

The one thing I would caution against tofugu is that it does not teach stroke order, which seems like it will become pretty important. Try to find another resource for that. All I've really found aside from Genki are charts.
Alright thanks. Bookmarked.

Did exactly that. Managed to snag some nice new armor, a bunch of MK and other small items and a shortcut.
did you get to the end of the street with all the dogs?

Interesting. Thanks for the links

After taking Latin and German, Japanese is what I wish we had at my highschool back when. I'm the type of person who needs work due, can't really motivate myself to work without deadlines. I have my language credit filled already in college too. I'd have loved to take a class.
Parity is definitely a versatile song...
Around 1:00 it actually starts sounding pretty good

Ants

Alright thanks. Bookmarked.

Also I guess I'll note that I've been cautioned against starting with dialogue-heavy games because there is going to be an absurd amount of vocabulary. I was suggested to hit about the gameplay:text ratio of Link to the Past at a level of "Fucking Nothing". I want to get to the point I can play the JP versions of Harvest Moon, which as you can imagine are REALLY text-heavy.

I haven't given it a shot yet but I imagine it'll probably turn out to be sound advice.

The other end without the Madman Knowledge? No, I stopped after I killed the pigs and opened the shortcut. Why?

Go to the end of the street with all the dogs. Coming out of the church go left down the street until you reach the end. There is something you will probably want

With the amount of games that don't get localized I'm closer and closer to learning it each day. A TWEWY 2 not being localized would break me.

Thank god I have a language requirement for college because I'm like RF. If you can push yourself though, learning the first two alphabets is easy. There's also Kanji learning apps on phones, and for speech just pick up Pimsleurs. Thought I think that might teach a mix of formal and casual Japanese at the same time and that's not really great. Unless you're going to visit Japan though I wouldn't worry about it

YEAH. Man this isn't a free grade but it's enjoyable enough that I'm doing well because I'm actually doing stuff because I want to

SHUT UP ABOUT FOOD holy shit mom and sister went to BK today, I was like "no I can't eat this"
My German class in highschool was the same, really fun subject and getting an A in something you enjoy feels rad.

Diets get rough when there's good food right in front of you, like ughhhh.

Go to the end of the street with all the dogs. Coming out of the church go left down the street until you reach the end. There is something you will probably want

Just grabbed it and barely managed to avoid getting mauled down by that pig. Gonna see what it does now.

Edit:
Looks like a str weapon. Eh, I'm a skill build so I'll just stick with my Saw Spear.

Thank god I have a language requirement for college because I'm like RF. If you can push yourself though, learning the first two alphabets is easy. There's also Kanji learning apps on phones, and for speech just pick up Pimsleurs. Thought I think that might teach a mix of formal and casual Japanese at the same time and that's not really great. Unless you're going to visit Japan though I wouldn't worry about it

....I thought Japanese was one language :|

Just grabbed it and barely managed to avoid getting mauled down by that pig. Gonna see what it does now.

I haven't really used it much because my stake driver is upgraded so much but I like it.

It's one language but has 3 alphabets or something like that. Obviously there are people here more knowledgeable about the subject then me though.

demidar

There's Hiragana and Katakana, which are about 40-ish simple characters each. Then there's kanji which are the complicated characters of which there's about 2000 in common use and are used practically everywhere.

I hope you're motivated!

Random PSA: You guys should install GreaseMonkey(FireFox) or TamperMonkey(Chrome) and get highlight_gaf. You can set certain user's posts to appear in different colors, so now I don't have to see the ugly green on my replies.

Gah my eyes!

Ants

it is, it just has 2.5 alphabets. There's hiragana, which is one set of characters, katakana, which is another, and kanji, which exist for specific words more or less. Hiragana is usually the most identifiable. If I understood what I studied correctly it's basically the equivalent to cursive. Katakana is a little more casual. Both of those incorproate the same sounds (a i u e o ka ki ku ke ko etc) and similar rules for how they affect one another, but they way they're written often differs (much in the sameway manuscript and cursive differ). Some sounds, like 'he' look very similar, much like how in cursive 'a' looks much like it does in manuscript.

Then there's kanji which is just unique characters for certain words that really resemble pictographs more than they do any sort of modern alphabet. It's just comprised of a series of shapes all put together to (often) more or less visually resemble the thing it is.

You're probably most familiar with hiragana and kanji, even if you don't know it. I don't see a whole lot of katakana now that I'm looking for it. It seems to be used primarily for words that don't exist in Japanese, like T-shirt. The same way English italicizes words taken from French or Latin.

So im at like 43 hours on bloodborne now. 13 of those were from today and just doing chalice dungeons.

I think im done with this character untill i can figure out where to get 2 more Red Jellies and a Living Strong for what i think is the last Chalice dungeon.

Gonna start a dex character

There's Hiragana and Katakana, which are about 40-ish simple characters each. Then there's kanji which are the complicated characters of which there's about 2000 in common use and are used practically everywhere.

I hope you're motivated!

it is, it just has 2.5 alphabets. There's hiragana, which is one set of characters, katakana, which is another, and kanji, which exist for specific words more or less. Hiragana is usually the most identifiable. If I understood what I studied correctly it's basically the equivalent to cursive. Katakana is a little more casual. Both of those incorproate the same sounds (a i u e o ka ki ku ke ko etc) and similar rules for how they affect one another, but they way they're written often differs (much in the sameway manuscript and cursive differ). Some sounds, like 'he' look very similar, much like how in cursive 'a' looks much like it does in manuscript.

Then there's kanji which is just unique characters for certain words that really resemble pictographs more than they do any sort of modern alphabet. It's just comprised of a series of shapes all put together to (often) more or less visually resemble the thing it is.

You're probably most familiar with hiragana and kanji, even if you don't know it. I don't see a whole lot of katakana now that I'm looking for it.

1000-self-nichijou-mio-naganohara-nichijou-5.gif

Diets get rough when there's good food right in front of you, like ughhhh.
It's fine, just two more weeks. It's gotten easier.

It's one language but has 3 alphabets or something like that. Obviously there are people here more knowledgeable about the subject then me though.

Hiragana, Katakana, and Kanji

I hope you're motivated!
This. 46 characters for Hiragana and Katakana, with marks on some characters that turn them into different sounds, and combinations. It's a LOT easier than it sounds. Kanji is the Chinese looking ones and you need 1k super bare minimum, 2k common ones.

Where's your motivation skLa

RainSD

Neo Member
Bought the Bloodborne soundtrack, copied onto a USB from my PS4, it ripped them at 320kbps thank god.
YEAH EXTERNAL MOTIVATION HIGH FIVE
Pre-ordered at Gamestop and instead of getting the full soundtrack like if you preordered digitally I received outfits for the Messengers. What the fuck man.

It's fine, just two more weeks. It's gotten easier.

This. 46 characters for Hiragana and Katakana, with marks on some characters that turn them into different sounds, and combinations. It's a LOT easier than it sounds. Kanji is the Chinese looking ones and you need 1k super bare minimum, 2k common ones.

Where's your motivation skLa

Welp, I gave Japanese a good shot, but I guess I'm just gonna have to be a baka gaijin for the rest of my life.

Hiragana is for Japanese stuff, Katakana is for foreign words and animals and some other stuff. It's also used for made up names. It's not really about formal/casual stuff/cursive stuff. There actually was a cursive-live writing system but they said fuck it cause lol why. Look in the Super Robot Wars video for it. Also Kanji is an alphabet, some of the characters can't really stay by themselves I'm pretty sure so they're not exactly words. They just have meaning.
Welp, I gave Japanese a good shot, but I guess I'm just gonna have to be a baka gaijin for the rest of my life.
No do it though. It's not as hard as you think. You didn't learn English in a day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom