• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 17: I don't have Bloodborne or Monster Hunter... Uhh...

Status
Not open for further replies.
gonna hijack this juuust a little bit to point to something of tangential interest i like to pimp at any opportunity

The Reverse Design series is the shit. In particular I recommend their Chrono Trigger series. Anyone interested in the invisible guiding hand of game design, RPG balance, or the merging of story and gameplay should read that one.
Huh seems pretty cool. I'll definitely look into this when I have time.

Village

Ah alright, went back to your other post and I thought you said you drew this on MS paint which don't use layers which is why I thought you went straight in.

I can do that that with things i am super familiar with .

But sketching is good because it allows you to get your shit ideas out of your system

zErGRn9.jpg

gonna hijack this juuust a little bit to point to something of tangential interest i like to pimp at any opportunity

The Reverse Design series is the shit. In particular I recommend their Chrono Trigger series. Anyone interested in the invisible guiding hand of game design, RPG balance, or the merging of story and gameplay should read that one.
Chrono Trigger is full of so much common sense game design that just permeates every encounter and quest and most areas.
I think if you do one element extremely well, then its more ok to have an excuse to lack on the other side of things. Games like SMT and Pokemon don't need to have a large focus on story, because of how addicting and great its gameplay is.

None of the Xeno games have mind blowing combat, but they tell excellent stories but (most) are well paced enough to not bore you with its dialogue.

And if I killed everyone who hasn't played a Xeno game, probably 70% of GAF would be dead.
Really though, a good narrative on top of your awesome gameplay systems isn't really a bad thing (except for if it hurts pacing in how it's told), but it is different. That's part of why I'm excited to get into DDS :p

I've meant to get into it but something something backlog something $100 Wii game something johns

Wow Pillars of Eternity is $44.99 on Steam.
Bit expensive

I didn't think it would be that expensive

That's not expensive. That's the price of the game for the publishers to break even.

If it's too rich for your blood, just wait for a steam sale.

Gonna bookmark this. As a potential game designer/coder I'd definitely need to take a look at these.

You should be getting into the habit of reading design docs and post mortems.

You should be getting into the habit of reading design docs and post mortems.

I've been through so many design docs, burndown charts, and asset lists this semester lol.

Chrono Trigger is full of so much common sense game design that just permeates every encounter and quest and most areas.

Really though, a good narrative on top of your awesome gameplay systems isn't really a bad thing (except for if it hurts pacing in how it's told), but it is different. That's part of why I'm excited to get into DDS :p

I've meant to get into it but something something backlog something $100 Wii game something johns

No, but spend 200 dollars on ebay.

Wow Pillars of Eternity is $44.99 on Steam.

Bit expensive

Not every kickstarter game comes out for 20 dollars or less. If it wasn't for bloodborne being a thing right now I would've definitely have bought into this. Seems like its receiving really good ratings from people/critics.

I didn't know that people assumed Kickstarter games were budget. I guess I can see why though, given most releases so far.
It's fiiiiine.
It's fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine.
No, but spend 200 dollars on ebay.

Not every kickstarter game comes out for 20 dollars or less. If it wasn't for bloodborne being a thing right now I would've definitely have bought into this. Seems like its receiving really good ratings from people/critics.
No but shut up tho, also me too.

360pages

Damn, I was right, the entire Buu Saga took place in a single day. It being 52 EP in the Kai version. 48 if you take out the stuff before the World Tournament.

Jman014

Excuse me guys if I'm a bit weird tonight. They're just showing promos for Wrestlemania and not showing a whole lot of actual wrestling atm.
Silent Hill is better than scary movies anyway

Jacob's Ladder! Which is not really a horror movie but it certainly influenced Silent Hill. So gewd.
image.php

Imagine this staring at you from a dark hallway.

The best Scream film could match up with the best Silent Hill in terms of scary moments.
No, but what I mean is scary movies are dumb. Silent Hill's cool cause it's more of a psychological story than just a "oh noes a spooby monster".

There's something to be said for straight horror sure, but I never cared for it. I used to read scary movie plots on Wikipedia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom