• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 17: I don't have Bloodborne or Monster Hunter... Uhh...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skrams

Isn't the anime cowlick supposed to be "bedhead" more or less? That's what I always see it labelled as in character creators. I wasn't under the impression it was treated as a legitimate hairstyle.
Where's my anime or manga where a cowlick character is introduced and then someone cuts off their cowlick in 20 seconds. Then they never have a cowlick ever again because fuck off with your cowlick character designs already.
I just want 4-Player City Trial. That's all I need to see from the Zaibatsu.

For some reason I thought they played City Trial some time in the past. I think I made that up in my head.

Also yooooo Ranger X is fucking amazing looking for a genesis game. The colors seem so vibrant when compared to something like Sonic or Gunstar Heroes which feel a lot lighter to me. The parallax scrolling and intros to levels are also fucking amazing.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
tumblr_ngnoux1mgh1qk2bebo1_1280.png

Zenfalcia

I fucked up. I fucked up. I fucked up.
This is what I get when I do an all nighter, typos everywhere
It's fine. No time for sleep, only manga.
Where's my anime or manga where a cowlick character is introduced and then someone cuts off their cowlick in 20 seconds. Then they never have a cowlick ever again because fuck off with your cowlick character designs already.
I bet there's an anime with that gag in it.

Skrams

I bet there's an anime with that gag in it.
It's in the same anime with Woolie's made up gag about a guy sitting in the bushes pretending to be the cicada chirps during summer. Some shit that's just super meta.
rikkasobbingerrywhere.gif
You can have a likable character with a cowlick. I just don't see much reason for it to be there. I find it to be a lazy thing to add to a character design. I'm fine with it on Rikka and I guess Hachiman from Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU. At least Rikka's cowlick is pointed out as a joke and Hachiman is just an average guy who gives few fucks so it makes sense for the character. Most of the time I just find it lazy and would rather see it cut off.

Also maybe I'm not into SoL that much, but I found Season 2 fine. The forced love triangle was dumb, but eh, whatevs.
And now im finding out theres a new seint seiya coming out this year aswell.

the fuck happened

Everyone got old.

Skrams

I don't know, I like it. Then again, I'm the least cynical person when it comes to anime.
I would think of it as "Does cutting off this cowlick give a different impression of the character or change a certain scene?" If the answer is mostly no then it's probably unneeded. I can't think of much reason cowlicks are there for a design other than to give off the ditzy effect. That effect should be given off anyway by their actions, so why bother giving them the cowlick. It's just a trope that exists that seems strange to even be a trope.

Then I looked at the TVtropes page and I guess it could also be used to be conflicting when a character is smart, but has a cowlick. Or when the cowlick has a mind of it's own and sticks straight up like a penis. Those kinds of things make sense to me as an alright reason to have a cowlick.
I hate that girl so much. Coming in getting in the way of everything goddamn bullshit acting like she owns the place that stupid harlot ruining my fucking anime.
Eh, there's like a napping contest or something. It's alright. Shit also gets resolved and then merrily moves on it's way so eh.
Only if they fix the fact that the don't follow the rules.

No, attack the moon tho.

Skrams

There has been way too many references to Aldnoah Zero lately in the videos/podcast. Liam talking about its science shit of laser bending and shit. I rarely care/get annoyed at Liam's anime opinions since I'm not that deep in the dank hole, but this rubs me the wrong way. I can only see him watching the show for the "cool" fight scenes as the characters can't hold the show up at all. Maybe he just turns his brain off, but who knows. I enjoyed the latest episode for some reason since Slaine was being a super shit, but it's been eh most of the time.

And then they shit on Hunter x Hunter. My salt.

Zenfalcia

There has been way too many references to Aldnoah Zero lately in the videos/podcast. Liam talking about its science shit of laser bending and shit. I rarely care/get annoyed at Liam's anime opinions since I'm not that deep in the dank hole, but this rubs me the wrong way. I can only see him watching the show for the "cool" fight scenes as the characters can't hold the show up at all. Maybe he just turns his brain off, but who knows. I enjoyed the latest episode for some reason since Slaine was being a super shit, but it's been eh most of the time.

And then they shit on Hunter x Hunter. My salt.
Really? I haven't noticed. Huh.. Although I haven't been keeping up with Aldnoah Zero after the first season. It's so dumb you can't not watch it. The music is great though.

Skrams

Really? I haven't noticed. Huh.. Although I haven't been keeping up with Aldnoah Zero after the first season. It's so dumb you can't not watch it.

There's been at least 2 or 3 which is way too many. I started it without knowing anything about it besides Woolie's recommendation. It then became another one of my "well, I'm already this far in, the show is dumb, but I can't stop now," shows. A lot of stupid characters in that series. Man, Woolie compared the fights to JoJo tactics even. There's back and forth in JoJo. Aldnoah Zero is just Inaho winning in 2 minutes because he already knew to do the thing. Get in the mech, step outside, push other mech into the water, and then we won. Such amazing tactics.

Also I'm getting the Sawano music effect from it where it sounds samey. It sounded like the KLK stuff to me and then after googling I saw it was Sawano. I have the same thing going on for Xenoblade X since that's Sawano too. All I can think of is KLK. I've gotten over it a bit, but it's a little bump that makes me not go woah when hearing it.

Zenfalcia

There's been at least 2 or 3 which is way too many. I started it without knowing anything about it besides Woolie's recommendation. It then became another one of my "well, I'm already this far in, the show is dumb, but I can't stop now," shows. A lot of stupid characters in that series. Man, Woolie compared the fights to JoJo tactics even. There's back and forth in JoJo. Aldnoah Zero is just Inaho winning in 2 minutes because he already knew to do the thing. Get in the mech, step outside, push other mech into the water, and then we won. Such amazing tactics.

Also I'm getting the Sawano music effect from it where it sounds samey. It sounded like the KLK stuff to me and then after googling I saw it was Sawano. I have the same thing going on for Xenoblade X since that's Sawano too. All I can think of is KLK. I've gotten over it a bit, but it's a little bump that makes me not go woah when hearing it.
There is no jojo tactics... I don't even know what woolie is even talking about. Sure there are some moments where they figure out a weakness and then beat the enemy, but most of it is really dumb. There are a lot of characters who are boring or just make no sense, their motivations are all over the place, the push the mech into water had some significance
it was used to figure out where the shield wasn't covering.

Maybe? I didn't really like most of kill la kill's ost, but that's just me. The sad thing is, inaho is in a normal mech doing semi-normal things, except some parts, which is plain stupid. I also don't understand how incompitent the normal troops are, but that's anime for you.

Skrams

There is no jojo tactics... I don't even know what woolie is even talking about. Sure there are some moments where they figure out a weakness and then beat the enemy, but most of it is really dumb. There are a lot of characters who are boring or just make no sense, their motivations are all over the place, the push the mech into water had some significance
it was used to figure out where the shield wasn't covering.

Maybe? I didn't really like most of kill la kill's ost, but that's just me. The sad thing is, inaho is in a normal mech doing semi-normal things, except some parts, which is plain stupid. I also don't understand how incompitent the normal troops are, but that's anime for you.

Nah, I'm talking about a different mech later on.
Inaho comes out and pushes a mech with swords into the water because his swords can't work underwater or something and this then causes his mech to explode.

I enjoy KLK's OST a lot. The music half the reason I love that series. Especially with the way it's combined into the actions going on in the show.

Also sort of, but not really because Inaho is only one using a training mech or whatever it is because it's orange since he's gotta be special to stand out. Also yeah, a lot of them throw their lives away like idiots.

Zenfalcia

Nah, I'm talking about a different mech later on.
Inaho comes out and pushes a mech with swords into the water because his swords can't work underwater or something and this then causes his mech to explode.

I enjoy KLK's OST a lot. The music half the reason I love that series. Especially with the way it's combined into the actions going on in the show.

Also sort of, but not really because Inaho is only one using a training mech or whatever it is because it's orange since he's gotta be special to stand out. Also yeah, a lot of them throw their lives away like idiots.
Oh.. damn, that's pretty stupud. I like inaho is the only one who can do it, because everyone else is so incompetent. He's literally a marie sue, who is only there to move the plot.

There are a few good tracks, but not all of it good imo.

But it's a normal mech except it's orange, there's literally nothing different about it besides the colour.

The anime is a strange time. It does so many things just because.

Edit: dp

My brain stopped thinking when a friend showed me this clip. They break so many rules, i know the show came out first but still. Normal summoning Flame Swordsman and it's 1800 atk for some reason can't get over Battle Ox's 1700 atk because "the battle ox is resistant to all fire type creatures!"

Zenfalcia

My brain stopped thinking when a friend showed me this clip. They break so many rules, i know the show came out first but still. Normal summoning Flame Swordsman and it's 1800 atk for some reason can't get over Battle Ox's 1700 atk because "the battle ox is resistant to all fire type creatures!"
It's fine!! It's just like summoning 3 blue eyes at the same time to magically fuse into the ultimate whatever blue eyes fusion form.

It's really dumb.

I never watched the actual show. I remember seeing it one time when I was younger and normal monsters were still a thing in YGO, and I think it was Kaiba? He fucking normal summoned like 4 times in one turn. My brain just exploded.

Good Morning.

Skrams

Oh.. damn, that's pretty stupud. I like inaho is the only one who can do it, because everyone else is so incompetent. He's literally a marie sue, who is only there to move the plot.

There are a few good tracks, but not all of it good imo.

But it's a normal mech except it's orange, there's literally nothing different about it besides the colour.

I like Inaho for being a complete marie sue and that being his only point. It's mostly hilarious and oh thank god time to move the plot forward since no one else can get anything done.

I can think of 6-8 distinct themes and their tunes off the top of my head which I love and that's a lot more than most things. Blumenkranz, Before My Body is Dry, Elite Four Theme, Satsuki's Theme, Ping Pong, Happy Shit is Happening Theme, Sanegeyamas Theme, and some other bullshit. I like the music a lot on it's own, but I mostly love the way it accompanies the show.

When hearing Blumenkranz the first time you see just the back of Ragyo's head while it pans out a giant view of her in a tower looking over a city. It's fucking amazing and out of nowhere. It easily defined that Ragyo is a fucking force to be scared of or amazed by. Or shit like Ryuko vs Nonon where the last tail end of the fight is literally music vs music. Then fucking the music buildup during episode 23 when everyone's running on the giant treadmill for the great naked dagger. It's all fanfuckingtastic to me and more shows need to have their music be a character as well. It's the closest thing I can think of for a Metal Gear Rising of music incorporation at the moment. Also Before My Body is Dry is a duet of Ryuko singing and Senketsu rapping. It's fucking great and it's a crimeeeee that it never got played in it's entirety on the show.

Also yeah his mech isn't OP bullshit, but it's still the super thinly veiled thing of different mech to be special because main character.

It's fine!! It's just like summoning 3 blue eyes at the same time to magically fuse into the ultimate whatever blue eyes fusion form.

It's really dumb.

I never watched the actual show. I remember seeing it one time when I was younger and normal monsters were still a thing in YGO, and I think it was Kaiba? He fucking normal summoned like 4 times in one turn. My brain just exploded.

Good Morning.

qo0JyxF.gif

Zenfalcia

Good Morning.
I remeber trying to play by the rules of the anime.. it didn't make sense.

Hi.

Zenfalcia

I like Inaho for being a complete marie sue and that being his only point. It's mostly hilarious and oh thank god time to move the plot forward since no one else can get anything done.

I can think of 6-8 distinct themes and their tunes off the top of my head which I love and that's a lot more than most things. Blumenkranz, Before My Body is Dry, Elite Four Theme, Satsuki's Theme, Ping Pong, Happy Shit is Happening Theme, Sanegeyamas Theme, and some other bullshit. I like the music a lot on it's own, but I mostly love the way it accompanies the show.

When hearing Blumenkranz the first time you see just the back of Ragyo's head while it pans out a giant view of her in a tower looking over a city. It's fucking amazing and out of nowhere. It easily defined that Ragyo is a fucking force to be scared of or amazed by. Or shit like Ryuko vs Nonon where the last tail end of the fight is literally music vs music. Then fucking the music buildup during episode 23 when everyone's running on the giant treadmill for the great naked dagger. It's all fanfuckingtastic to me and more shows need to have their music be a character as well. It's the closest thing I can think of for a Metal Gear Rising of music incorporation at the moment. Also Before My Body is Dry is a duet of Ryuko singing and Senketsu rapping. It's fucking great and it's a crimeeeee that it never got played in it's entirety on the show.

Also yeah his mech isn't OP bullshit, but it's still the super thinly veiled thing of different mech to be special because main character.
He has zero personality and it's awful and great at the same time. I love that he's the only reason the plot moves.

Hm.. i'll have to listen it again. I only really liked blumenkranz and before my body is dry. The mix of each character singing is a nice touch, the composer does the exact same thing in Aldnoah zero and i love it there too. I don't remember much about that fight until now, yeah it's pretty good. It only really wotks since it's a fight with sound.

If it was OP, it would make more sense and give more reason for it to be different. Yeah, the colour is just to make him stand out anf make him special.

The style and humor changes like, ten times throughout it. It's pretty easy to go through and if you think Yugioh is dumb at all then it might be worth a second chance.

All card games are dumb really, but I would still play it if there was a playerbase around here. My deck kinda just sits there now <.<

Also, sometimes there was the power of friendship.

Oh, and cards.

I could still play it, but the new cards will destroy my old outdated cards and deck.
The power of friendship will conquer all, even sexualized cartoon versions of monsters! Yugi-Boy.

I have people who play Yugioh near me, but they spend way more on cards than I'm capable of, so my cards are super old and they're in the meta.
I bought a deck I liked and stuck with it, as long as you have xyz and Synchro cards you should be fine, none of that pendulum nonsense.

Skrams

He has zero personality and it's awful and great at the same time. I love that he's the only reason the plot moves.

Hm.. i'll have to listen it again. I only really liked blumenkranz and before my body is dry. The mix of each character singing is a nice touch, the composer does the exact same thing in Aldnoah zero and i love it there too. I don't remember much about that fight until now, yeah it's pretty good. It only really wotks since it's a fight with sound.

If it was OP, it would make more sense and give more reason for it to be different. Yeah, the colour is just to make him stand out anf make him special.

I guess I'll have to listen to some of the Aldnoah stuff for that duet. I enjoy cool shit like that. It works because it's a fight with sound, but that's the point. Sound vs Sound. Not much else to say besides that I like Kill La Kill a lot. I got really wrapped up in it as it was airing and rewatched episodes a few times to tide me over until the next week. The amount of times I'd go back to that specific first scene with Blumenkranz just to hear the tiniest snippet of the song was too many. Also took notice of a lot of shit because of that. Also helped me appreciate the music integration a lot too.

The fucking wedding scene music too. Fuckkkkk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom