• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 5: There's a Skeleton Inside Each of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Towel

Yup. It was just some extra land England found, so they cleared out the prisoners to save on space since they do Guilty until proven Innocent :p

"Ah, unspoiled, free land to use for the good of England"
"Uh, hey, sir, isn't that a person over there? You think other people live here too? What should we do with them?"
"Eh, let's treat them like garbage and everything will sort itself out eventually"

Only at chapter 3 but liking it so far, not enjoying those widescreen bars but eh, 30FPS also isn't bothering me at all

I got over the bars quicker than I thought. The 30FPS bothered me immediately. First thing I did was spin the camera, and that fucking dropped to shit.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
I don't really know how American school work, but I am still in high school. And my major is Biologie/Chemistry, but I still have to do French litterature in the French classe ( technicaly everything is in french)
And oh yeah, in History class we're talking about colonisation, So America is a bit part of it. I even asked my teacher what's up with criminals in Australia. And he aswered that the first European there where in fact criminals.

Asterix and Obelix is where it's at

I took french in high school, and all we did was listen to french pop songs from the 70s. San Francisco by Maxime le Forestier kicks ass.

French in colonial times were a bunch of self entitles assholes before the revolution. Even after, they still attacked us for a bit and demanded that America paid off Frances debt, as well as bribe the officials who could stop the capture of American ships. Such chodes.

Xiraiya

I even asked my teacher what's up with criminals in Australia. And he aswered that the first European there where in fact criminals.

We were, the first settlers were criminals sent away for mostly petty crime, so very few were actually really fucked up people, generally people really down on their luck and whatnot, hence how they were able to come together to even build a civilization and not just murder the shit out of eachother once they got here.

I believe though they actually were given the task by the queen or government or whatever, to build a colony and there were materials and skilled traders etc. Prisoners were also often pardoned and given land for being especially productive.

It is commonly reported that the colonisation of Australia was driven by the need to address overcrowding in the British prison system; however, it was simply not economically viable to transport prisoners half way around the world for this reason alone. Many convicts were either skilled tradesmen or farmers who had been convicted for trivial crimes and were sentenced to seven years, the time required to set up the infrastructure for the new colony. Convicts were often given pardons prior to or on completion of their sentences and were allocated parcels of land to farm.

I really miss tank control survival horror, there was something really satisfying about the heavy slow feeling in those settings that made so much sense to me.

I miss Eternal Darkness, and it really bothers me no one likes Dennis Dyack, I don't care about him personally but I was hyped about the idea of Shadows Of The Eternal and how it would recapture the spirit of ED in a more modern way.

He let the GAF collective get to him.

On the podcast, Japan doesn't have Orange Tips on their airsoft guns? Jesus, can't imagine taking that through customs.
That was the second part of the answer. They weren't just thieves and such. But political criminals too, like pointing out that the mad king was insane.

"Ah, unspoiled, free land to use for the good of England"
"Uh, hey, sir, isn't that a person over there? You think other people live here too? What should we do with them?"
"Eh, let's treat them like garbage and everything will sort itself out eventually"
To be honest, they did really well considering they're supposed to be criminals, as I understand. They just set up government and acted like normal people.
Edit: Beaten by the native criminal

360pages

X4 is easily the best X game for me.

I'm still refining the story I'm telling. It's not going to move out of the town/city. And Alters, Half-Breeds and Humans live together in relative peace.

There is an organization filled with all three species to keep Alters and Half-Breeds that would abuse their power in check

The main plot line however is about a group of friends figuring out strange events that have been happening around town

Okingjrr

We were, the first settlers were criminals sent away for mostly petty crime, so very few were actually really fucked up people, generally people really down on their luck and whatnot, hence how they were able to come together to even build a civilization and not just murder the shit out of eachother once they got here.

I believe though they actually were given the task by the queen or government or whatever, to build a colony and there were materials and skilled traders etc. Prisoners were also often pardoned and given land for being especially productive.

A happy story that ends well for everyone.
Just commit some petty crime, get sent to a place void of any actual criminals, get some parcel of land and live a tranquil life. England on the other hand, gets to empty out it's prisons

I miss Eternal Darkness, and it really bothers me no one likes Dennis Dyack, I don't care about him personally but I was hyped about the idea of Shadows Of The Eternal and how it would recapture the spirit of ED in a more modern way.
When you got former Silicon Knights employees shit talking him for being an awful boss, can you blame him? Even if the concept sounded great, I'd barely if ever trust him with it.

Quick refresher for non history buffs.
No one likes France. Not even the French.

It is just my American sensibilities or do the French look generally miserable in their country?

Every tourism video and travel guide I've viewed paints the French as incredibly cynical and miserable.

I don't wish to judge an entire country based on some videos, but I get that overwhelming feeling being a French citizen isn't very good.

Happy European 15th birthday, Dreamcast!

James Small is somewhere celebrating with lots of chocolate.

Xiraiya

Edit: Beaten by the native criminal
It's fine.
v9umCqp.jpg

Emouse

I got over the bars quicker than I thought. The 30FPS bothered me immediately. First thing I did was spin the camera, and that fucking dropped to shit.

Yeah it bothers me less than most people, if its playable its fine by me gameplay spoilers I guess but
i'm a little disappointed that I'm 3 chapters in and already being shot at, by someone with a bulletproof face no less

Okingjrr

It is just my American sensibilities or do the French look generally miserable in their country?

Every tourism video and travel guide I've viewed paints the French as incredibly cynical and miserable.

I don't wish to judge an entire country based on some videos, but I get that overwhelming feeling being a French citizen isn't very good.

A lot of people are cynical in France, especially in Paris, which I guess most people see when looking at french related things.
Not every one is though. Once you get out of the capital, people are a lot warmer and easier to approach.
Sure It can be shit sometimes, I speak as a person living near Paris, that doesn't mean that it's always like that. I suppose anywhere else in the world is similar.

Aborigines.

Who?
jk
It never ends well for native populations in history, sadly.

Yeah it bothers me less than most people, if its playable its fine by me gameplay spoilers I guess but
i'm a little disappointed that I'm 3 chapters in and already being shot at, by someone with a bulletproof face no less

That's......

Ugh.

There better be a good reason is all I'm sayin.

A lot of people are cynical in France, especially in Paris, which I guess most people see when looking at french related things.
Not every one is though. Once you get out of the capital, people are a lot warmer and easier to approach.

Who?
jk
It never ends well for native populations in history, sadly.

Why is that? What's so cynical living in such a beautiful city? Taxes? Work-life balance? Gov't?

Is France a popular country for American ex-pats?

I ask as an American interested in seeing as much of UROPE AND ASIA as possible.

Okingjrr

France has been involved in a crazy amount of wars, and started the whole modern version of killing your government.

The french like to fight. They don't like "no" as an answer. The shear amount of strikes they do because they don't like something is astounding.
I can't imagine what it would be like if we could still start wars.

Can you explain the bold? I don't follow the news as much as I should.

Oberon

Banned
The french like to fight. They don't like "no" as an answer. The shear amount of strikes they do because they don't like something is astounding.

French Revolution?

French Revolution inspired other countries to the same, such as America and Ireland.

It showed that if planned properly, even untrained civilians could take down an army.

Additional spoilers
just picked up a shotgun and a crossbow in the same building, feel like they're trying to tell me something :/

When I downloaded the game, they gave me a shotgun.

To be fair, RE4 was pretty nuts when it came to action.

French Revolution inspired other countries to the same, such as America and Ireland.

It showed that if planned properly, even untrained civilians could take down an army.

The Americans have France to thank for the success of the American Revolution.

That actually explains to me why the Statue of Liberty was gifted. US and France are bros.

Why is that? What's so cynical living in such a beautiful city? Taxes? Work-life balance? Gov't?

The experience I came away with from visiting Paris is that Parisians are all a bunch of smug assholes hated even by other French people (as confirmed by French people I know).

I almost got run over three times while crossing the street in a big group because there was like a 1 meter gap in between... One time by a fucking bus... while we were using crossings and obeying traffic laws.
People will just fucking ignore you or treat you like shit if you don't speak French, or don't speak it well enough and the only people who'll talk to you in English are people who are out to sell you shit.
As soon as you drive into Paris you get stuck in traffic and you're left to stare at ghettoes on either side of the road.

But hey, the bagguettes were nice.

The experience I came away with from visiting Paris is that Parisians are all a bunch of smug assholes hated even by other French people (as confirmed by French people I know).

I almost got run over three times while crossing the street in a big group because there was like a 1 meter gap in between... One time by a fucking bus... while we were using crossings and obeying traffic laws.
People will just fucking ignore you or treat you like shit if you don't speak French.
As soon as you drive into Paris you get stuck in traffic and you're left to stare at ghettoes on either side of the road.

That pretty much sums up Paris.

That, and I always see a lot of sad Asians there.

People will just fucking ignore you or treat you like shit if you don't speak French, or don't speak it well enough and the only people who'll talk to you in English are people who are out to sell you shit.

This sounds EXACTLY like NYC, down to the almost being run over by cars.

Okingjrr

I ask as an American interested in seeing as much of UROPE AND ASIA as possible.

Assholes mostly.
There are really great places in Paris and France as a whole to visit, but as in any other country, there are bad ones as well. I'm still young and I haven't had the pleasure of paying taxes just yet, but that's pretty much accepted nowadays by the population. Right now, according to what most people are saying, the polical situation is in a really terrible position, I don't follow it as much as I should.

I wouldn't know about the whole ex-pat situation, but there are a lot of Americans who fall in love with the city and come here all the time.

Okingjrr

French Revolution?

I had a fucked up history program growing up, it doesn't help that I've changed countries 3 times and depending on the country, the teachers skipped important events, like the french revolution. Fuck those teachers.

I should've looked that up on my own in the past.

I agree with this.
My advice is have a good french friend guide you around Paris.
When it comes to other places in France, people are much better to deal with.

This sounds EXACTLY like NYC, down to the almost being run over by cars.

I almost pulled a Dustin Hofman and slammed the hood of the car and yelled at the driver if the police wouldn't beat me up over it. And the police will beat you up before arresting you, just because.

While we were driving the tourbus (I went there on a school trip) along the Champs Elysee and around the Arc de Triomphe there was another burnt out tourbus with a bunch of cops throwing people into vans.

Did I mention that a lot of cops carry assault rifles? Especially around tourist hotspots?

Edit: Paris is a nice city to visit if you keep to yourself. It can be so shocking how big the difference between fact and fiction is when visiting that in Japan, being so bummed out from visiting Paris that you become depressed is an acknowledged medical condition.

I almost pulled a Dustin Hofman and slammed the hood of the car and yelled at the driver if the police wouldn't beat me up over it. And the police will beat you up before arresting you, just because.

OH MAN

While we were driving the tourbus (I went there on a school trip) along the Champs Elysee and around the Arc de Triomphe there was another burnt out tourbus with a bunch of cops throwing people into vans.

Did I mention that a lot of cops carry assault rifles? Especially around tourist hotspots?

OH GEEZ

That sounds like NY Port Authority, except the cops are replaced with US Army infantry with loaded M4's and Port Authority Cops.

I had a fucked up history program growing up, it doesn't help that I've changed countries 3 times and depending on the country, the teachers skipped important events, like the french revolution.

I should've looked that up on my own in the past.

In short; French Monarchy was beyond decadent, they had a tree dunked in fucking gold, and was also beyond incompetent.

People were pissed, rose up and killed them using a guillotine. Then invented democracy.
Other countries saw this and went:

post-19715-Brent-Rambo-gif-thumbs-up-imgu-L3yP.gif

In short; French Monarchy was beyond decadent, they had a tree dunked in fucking gold, and was also beyond incompetent.

People were pissed, rose up and killed them using a guillotine. Then invented democracy.

Didn't Democracy exist in the Roman times?

They weren't loaded, but they had ammo on them. At least it was pretty cool to see a FAMAS irl.

Pro Tip: When visiting NYC, make sure not to stare down a US Army Soldier. Those guys and gals do not play around.

Louis the 14th would throw massive parties in his gold plated palace (literally, you can go there) and if the party wasn't up to snuff, you'd be executed.

Pro Tip: When visiting NYC, make sure not to stare down a US Army Soldier. Those guys and gals do not play around.
It did, but not like modern democracy. They would actually purposefully put dictators in power if they thought the empire needed one. (although that could've been the ancient greeks, not sure)

Okingjrr

Edit: Paris is a nice city to visit if you keep to yourself. It can be so shocking how big the difference between fact and fiction is when visiting that in Japan, being so bummed out from visiting Paris that you become depressed is an acknowledged medical condition.

Paris is really on it's toes when it comes to terrorist attacks, that's why the military, not the cops are around tourist hotspots as well as in the big underground stations.

Yup, keep to yourself and be as prepared as possible to figure out things on your own, or you will be proper fucked.

That said, I wouldn't mind guiding you frienders around.

Xiraiya

Dark Souls II decided to start downloading 300mb, I wonder what changed now

-All magic and pyromancy removed
-All textures removed for optimization purp
-All Bosses removed
-Most areas removed
-PVP untouched
-Game is now presented in 2D sidescrolling fashion
-Renamed to Nidhogg

joe2187

Banned

Romans had a republic, however we take alot of cues from the roman system of politics than anything else.

Democracy was more greek than anything.

Okingjrr

Learning my own country's history on the HistoryGAF channel. I love it.
That gif adds a lot to the post imo.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
ugh im listening to the podcast and its awesome but they get to smash again and talk about stuff they just dont know, or I would think they should have known being huge smash fans that they're, the reason for the banned thing was because of TAUNT PARTIIES which was a HUGE PROBLEM in brawl online where people would just fuck around and when a player who just wanted to fight does that, all the other players would gang up on him, I was one of the first things they pointed out in the smash direct because it was such a huge problem, the problem is they spend so much time, especially Liam on things in smash they just dont know about, this week and last week aswell as the impressions and its so cringeworthy to have to sit through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom