• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 5: There's a Skeleton Inside Each of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm like 30 minutes into FFXIII on PC.

My first impressions are that the battle system is good, though inferior to Chrono Trigger, and that the music is good. It also looks kinda pretty. Perhaps this is proof that I am a simple man, one appeased by the simple things in life, who can mindlessly play videogames when he is bored, but I am enjoying playing this.

The music and battle system are some of the few, maybe only, redeeming features of XIII. I'd argue Lightning in contrast to what she became in later games is a retrospective plus as well.

Judge it on it's own merits. It's very flawed, but was it as shit as people claimed it was upon release? I don't think so anymore.

I'm glad someone else hopped onboard this shitstorm boat.
I'm going in from a mindset of zero expectations, considering all the shit I've heard flung about it, but I think it was a negative byproduct of the hype building to it's release that it was received so poorly.

Snow is punching things and it's cool. I am a simple man.

My first impressions are that the battle system is good, though inferior to Chrono Trigger, and that the music is good. It also looks kinda pretty. Perhaps this is proof that I am a simple man, one appeased by the simple things in life, who can mindlessly play videogames when he is bored, but I am enjoying playing this.

How long did that download take you?

Nordicus

I've been running thru NG+ in DS2. These bastards aren't so tough when you have a shield that absorbs 100% DMG. Take that you skeleton bastards!
They're nerfed to shit in DS2 anyway from my experience. They hit you once, then hop out of the ground and stop their rolling.

In DS1 they go full durst, almost attach to your character model on collision and the hits keep on piling up

How long did that download take you?
Oh, I started it like I dunno... Yesterday at 7?

I'm using the Japanese audio, just so I feel somewhat justified in downloading the whole damn thing.
Edit: Some lines don't have subtitles. Is pretty annoying.
The music and battle system are some of the few, maybe only, redeeming features of XIII. I'd argue Lightning in contrast to what she became in later games is a retrospective plus as well.
If I'm going to hate the characters or story, it hasn't happened yet. I'll update if it becomes terrible.

Edit2: MOMS ARE TOUGH

I do love that Battle theme in FF13. It's so good.

Alfebit

Banned
I have been given excess amounts of Life and it feels wonderful.

HR6sVO6.jpg

I'm going in from a mindset of zero expectations, considering all the shit I've heard flung about it, but I think it was a negative byproduct of the hype building to it's release that it was received so poorly.

Snow is going to make you happy and piss you off at the same time.
The battle system makes me wish for action RPG or Character Action. The battle menus seem so out of place.

They're nerfed to shit in DS2 anyway from my experience. They hit you once, then hop out of the ground and stop their rolling.

In DS1 they go full durst, almost attach to your character model on collision and the hits keep on piling up

Oh boy I can't wait to fight one in DS1!

Congradurations for purchasing a Liam(trademark)TV

Emouse

PSTV is out there? Still gotta wait till next month, maybe I'll finally finish Gravity Rush

I feel the same way? The game may not be what everyone wanted from a FF game and sure there's not a whole lot going on but I still had fun with it, and the late game stuff is pretty good too, also Snow punching stuff is super dumb, it's great, everyone has guns? fuck it I'll punch things because why not

I also enjoy Lightning as the brooding female lead

Duplolas

Banned
Just an update, my naked double whip build for DS2 on NG+ is going pretty well.

I just finished The Lost Sinner and am chugging along doing just great :D

I think lightning is fine. The problem a lot of people have with her is that she was pushed so hard and made the face of a universally known "bad series" which made people hate her more than they should have. I will admit the writing did get worse as it went on, but people look at her like she's the worst thing to happen to gaming.

The hate for FF13 is completely overblown, but I'm too lazy to keep defending it against the old school FF fans.

joe2187

Banned
Streaming?

Yeah.

Sucks that your own library doesnt count tho. So you still have to pay for rentals.

1.99 for 4 hours. I decided to give em a try.

It's black magic, I played like 10 lagless matches in Skullgirls and had a co-op partner join in RE5.

The Streaming version of Skullgirls doesnt have any of the DLC chars tho, so hah!

Okingjrr

I was about to look up which games were compatible with the VitaTV and literally typed "liamTV" into google. My mind is fucked.

joe2187

Banned
Supposedly Anita Sarkessian is angry about Bayonetta 2 getting such great reviews.

What a surprise, She hated the first one.

That said, I cant wait to watch her Fighting Fuck Toy video.

I just wish her videos werent just showcases, seems like a missed opportunity to explore deeper issues. They're just slideshows and descriptions.

Zenfalcia

I missed Dok's mess up. That's too bad. I could've been dying of laughter instead of sleeping.

Yea, I was about to ask whooo? as well but I looked it up. She's a feminist social critic whose work explores the portrayals of women.

Why is she mad?

Sexualization/objectification of the women blah blah blah. There's more to it but it's the gist.

What a surprise, She hated the first one.

That said, I cant wait to watch her Fighting Fuck Toy video.

I just wish her videos werent just showcases, seems like a missed opportunity to explore deeper issues. They're just slideshows and descriptions.

Getting a budget was the best thing that ever happened to her.

Her videos are much more palatable from the stuff she was putting out as professional in her earlier days.

I don't agree with every critique she has, but she has some valid points when taken at face value.

Zenfalcia

I don't think it's worth being upset over at all, but you'd think she'd at least play the game before she'd form opinions about it. That's kinda what critics do after all.

She's not a critic of the game more of the content of the game? If that makes any sense. She doesn't play video games and is more of a figure head for feminism in video games touching on what she/people she works with deems inappropriate.

joe2187

Banned
Getting a budget was the best thing that ever happened to her.

Her videos are much more palatable from the stuff she was putting out as professional in her earlier days.

I don't agree with every critique she has, but she has some valid points when taken at face value.

Yeah, but im talking how much of a squandered opportunity she did with her series. I was hoping for some in depth stuff. Especially after the kickstarter.

I was hoping for to have developer interviews and what not, visits to video game developers and delving in "Lisa Ling" style into the depths of character and story design in video games.

I don't think it's worth being upset over at all, but you'd think she'd at least play the game before she'd form opinions about it. That's kinda what critics do after all.

She isn't reviewing games a la Polygon or IGN. Her power is insomuch as a feminist critique, if there is power there. Reportedly she's made some impact in Western development, but I'm not sure whether it's posturing by the devs or honest influence.

I'd respect her more if she affects/inflences Japanese development. They're the big boys of development.

I can't believe this stupid bullshit is still going on.

If you let it bother you, it will. I'm interested in seeing how it all plays out.

d0e.gif

Yeah, but im talking how much of a squandered opportunity she did with her series. I was hoping for some in depth stuff. Especially after the kickstarter.

I was hoping for to have developer interviews and what not, visits to video game developers and delving in "Lisa Ling" style into the depths of character and story design in video games.

You have a point there. With so much Quote-unquote Twitter appreciation by certain people in Western dev work, why haven't they openly did interviews and have her go after big names like a career journalist would?

My guess: She's Critiquing for the academic crowd. Her work feels like something that would be firmly taught in a Uni.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom