• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 6: Six Threads and a Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
So after watching the Halloween Mystery video, i feel like it would be a disservice to not find uses for this.

Wm2NnHO.gif
Saved. This is a good one.
Yeah, 8am class and an exam after that. So, i'll probably study and stuff. I'll read some of the missed posts too.
Yeesh. At least it's early and not the afternoon. You can be awake for 8 hours+ easily. Studying up till the test is cool.

Agent York

Neo Member
What's your guys onions on birds?
I've never lived in a house with one, but one of my friends had a very noisy and bite-y Parrot. As for wild birds, I enjoyed the Doves that frequently nested on and around our house, but then that also meant that the Ravens and Jays that feast on their eggs were always around. One time a Jay tried to make a nest directly above my window. It woke me up as early as 3 in the morning with its endless and droning squaking for several days... Needless to say that nest disappeared soon afterwards.

I've never lived in a house with one, but one of my friends had a very noisy and bite-y Parrot. As for wild birds, I enjoyed the Doves that frequently nested on and around our house, but then that also meant that the Ravens and Jays that feast on their eggs were always around. One time a Jay tried to make a nest directly above my window. It woke me up as early as 3 in the morning with its endless and droning squaking for several days... Needless to say that nest disappeared soon afterwards.
Also g'night nerds.

Xiraiya

A bit late, but in no particular order.

1. Gintama
2. Monogatari
3. Trigun
4. Arakawa Under The Bridge
5. Code Geass
6. Durarara
7. Attack On Titan
8. Steins;Gate
9. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
10. Psycho Pass

Off the top of my head, a final list if I took the time to really think about it might be a bit different but that sums it up pretty well for me.

I like what I like.

Xiraiya

Now that we're talking about anime what's your opinion on Fairy Tail?

Oh boy, Fairy Tail is fucking garbage, I liked it a whole lot once, it's shit now.
I'll leave it at that, because I have some resentments about certain characters becoming terrible and I'll fall into a rant.

Loco4Coco

Oh boy, Fairy Tail is fucking garbage, I liked it a whole lot once, it's shit now.
I'll leave it at that, because I have some resentments about certain characters becoming terrible and I'll fall into a rant.

lol. I hear that alot, why is that?. For a while I thought it was a One Piece spin-off cause the art style look identical.

Zenfalcia

Off the top of my head, a final list if I took the time to really think about it might be a bit different but that sums it up pretty well for me.
I like what I like.

Everyone has differenr tastes. Decent list. Some of them seem iffy to be the best, but that's just my opinion.

I might find a way to acquire the episodes where Michael Jones of Rooster Teeth/Achievement Hunter voices Sting

Wait, what?

Since I never posted my 10 here, in this order

Cromartie High
Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid
Katanagatari
Code Geass
Spice and Wolf
Hunter x Hunter 2011
Fate/Zero
Berserk
Jojo Parts 1-3
Hajime no Ippo

Zenfalcia

At one point I would have backed that up but I would say comparing them is an insult to One Piece now, Fairy Tail is straight up worse than Naruto.

Why's that? I read up to the
time skip nd the tournament after
and it was too much to actually care about. I guess you can say fairytail has a lot more emphasis on fanservice.

Xiraiya

lol. I hear that alot, why is that?. For a while I thought it was a One Piece spin-off cause the art style look identical.
It was basically a less eccentric version of One Piece but with mages instead of Pirates, and it had a pretty cool setting. But then it degraded into a nonsensical situation where it's like the Author's desire to start drawing a ero doujin is overpowering the good sense to write a decent shonen story. Natsu the main character has 0 personal character development and yet somehow inexplicably just becomes way stronger in every arc without any real context as to why.

Every female in that series ends up naked 50% of the time, mostly due to "oops my clothes got torn off!" situations, it's just pathetic and not nearly as cool as it was when it started.

One Piece is one of the best shonen mangas out there, off course one with a similar look is going to compared to it (and not favorably)

One Piece is really good, even if the anime currently has dipped in quality. I'm still enjoying it though

At one point I would have backed that up but I would say comparing them is an insult to One Piece now, Fairy Tail is straight up worse than Naruto.

woof.

Xiraiya

Why's that? I read up to the
time skip nd the tournament after
and it was too much to actually care about. I guess you can say fairytail has a lot more emphasis on fanservice.
Yeah Tenrou Island was a tipping point, I read the Magic games arc, but it was about when Natsu could suddenly completely and utterly overpower two Dragonslayers at the same time who were both more evolved than him, they had been hyped up for a whole arc to be insanely powerful, and it was just... no, I was fucking done and didn't go back.

I checked on it a few months later and opened to a page where a Dragon had the ability to make girls naked at will or something, and yeah.
So that Manga is garbage.

Yeah Tenrou Island was a tipping point, I read the Magic games arc, but it was about when Natsu could suddenly completely and utterly overpower two Dragonslayers at the same time who were both more evolved than him, they had been hyped up for a whole arc to be insanely powerful, and it was just... no, I was fucking done and didn't go back.

I checked on it a few months later and opened to a page where a Dragon had the ability to make girls naked at will or something, and yeah.

I'd like to know what your opinion on the Rave Master manga is since it's by the same author

He's a professional now. I like his voice so I'm looking forward to him getting a role in a better property

Huh. I thought he was really good in that episode of RWBY that I've seen. For a guy that got pulled in a somewhat mediocre show, he's got the talent.

What are your thoughts on RWBY?

After the first season, it was really tropey, so I didn't continue to watch it.

Loco4Coco

It was basically a less eccentric version of One Piece but with mages instead of Pirates, and it had a pretty cool setting. But then it degraded into a nonsensical situation where it's like the Author's desire to start drawing a ero doujin is overpowering the good sense to write a decent shonen story. Natsu the main character has 0 personal character development and yet somehow inexplicably just becomes way stronger in every arc without any real context as to why.

Every female in that series ends up naked 50% of the time, mostly due to "oops my clothes got torn off!" situations, it's just pathetic and not nearly as cool as it was when it started.

Welp.

Zenfalcia

Yeah Tenrou Island was a tipping point, I read the Magic games arc, but it was about when Natsu could suddenly completely and utterly overpower two Dragonslayers at the same time who were both more evolved than him and had been hyped up for a whole arc to be insanely powerful, and it was just... no, I was fucking done and didn't go back.

Did they even have reasoning why he beat them or just sheer "will power"?

It got really hard to care after a while since the side characters had more character development than some of the main characters.

Eh, fuck it.

1. Shin Mazinger Shougeki Z-Hen
  2. Needless
  3. Mazinkaiser
  4. Mazinkaiser SKL
  5. Giant Robo The Animation
  6. GaoGaiGar + FINAL
  7. Gurren Lagann
  8. G Gundam
  9. Excel Saga + Puni Puni Poemy (I'm counting both, whatever)
  10. New Getter Robo

Xiraiya

I'd like to know what your opinion on the Rave Master manga is since it's by the same author
I hear Rave Master is pretty good, I haven't read it but I might someday.
Right now I'm reading Seven Deadly Sins, it feels kind of like Fairy Tail when it was great, only it's set in a world that kind of reminds me of a lighter Dark Souls, I've been enjoying it quite a lot.

Did they even have reasoning why he beat them or just sheer "will power"?
It got really hard to care after a while since the side characters had more character development than some of the main characters.
It wasn't even that, he was getting beaten around, and then started firing off his regular attacks and wrecked their shit super hard, it was just ridiculous.

That's the worst thing about it, FT had some great characters but when everything but them is so bad, I can't care.

Zenfalcia

Eh, fuck it.

So, i heard you liek mechas.

Right now I'm reading Seven Deadly Sins, it feels kind of like Fairy Tail when it was great, only it's set in a world that kind of reminds me of a lighter Dark Souls, I've been enjoying it quite a lot.

If you didnt know already there's a 7 deadly sins anime currently airing.
Yeah, from what i've read it's pretty good and there are some lewd moments, but nothing over the top. Just a boob grope.

Huh. I thought he was really good in that episode of RWBY that I've seen. For a guy that got pulled in a somewhat mediocre show, he's got the talent.

What are your thoughts on RWBY?

After the first season, it was really tropey, so I didn't continue to watch it.

The first season was too tropey, as you said, and established far too much immediately. And weapon+gun is too juvenile for my tastes.

Zenfalcia

I told you.

At least my favorite manga are more varied, but only because the amount of mecha manga is slim to none. It's either Mazinger or Getter Robo (and the latter is still better than all of its anime adaptations).

Yeah, just making a terrible joke that's all.

Would you read/watch any mecha or does it have to be within your tastes for mechas?

Yo that's pretty cool, I might check that out some time

Xiraiya

If you didnt know already there's a 7 deadly sins anime currently airing.
Yeah, from what i've read it's pretty good and these some lewd moments, but nothing over the top. Just a boob grope.

I'm not going to begrudge a good manga when what little fan service it has is in there from the get go, and Meliodas is like the only character that causes "Fan servicey" situations, which I can accept as an amusing character trait.
My issue is when a Manga evolves into constant fan service for no real reason when it wasn't that way to begin with.
And yeah the anime has been pretty good so far.

Yo that's pretty cool, I might check that out some time
It's pretty consistent and it has some really rad fights that have no significance to the plot, because sparring, but the fights in general end up pretty good.

uNkAtwf.png

1. Gurren Lagann.
2. Neon Genesis Evangelion.
3. Puella Magi Madoka Magica.
4. Hellsing Ultimate.
5. Welcome to the NHK.
6. Samurai Champloo.
7. Kuroko no Basket.
8. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.
9. Digimon.
10. Chunibyou.

Everything after the first four is kinda just whatever came to mind.

EDIT: I immediately regret everything on this list after #4.

Yeah, just making a terrible joke that's all.

Would you read/watch any mecha or does it have to be within your tastes for mechas?
If it's blatant super robots like Getter Robo or Gurren, I am immediately on board.

Anything else, well, it'll depend on the overall quality of the series. Though at this point, the easiest way I know if it's worth considering is if it's been featured in a Super Robot Wars game.

If it's blatant super robots like Getter Robo or Gurren, I am immediately on board.

Anything else, well, it'll depend on the overall quality of the series. Though at this point, the easiest way I know if it's worth considering is if it's been featured in a Super Robot Wars game.

Have you watched Vandread? It's a pretty good series, and while not straight up super robot off the bat, it's pretty good and while fanservicey, has a lot of legit emotional moments.

Zenfalcia

I'm not going to begrudge a good manga when what little fan service it has is in there from the get go, and Meliodas is like the only character that causes "Fan servicey" situations, which I can accept as an amusing character trait.

My issue is when a Manga evolves into constant fan service for no real reason when it wasn't that way to begin with.

And yeah the anime has been pretty good so far.

Yep, it's nothing too bad like all their clothes ripping off. I should read more I stopped at around.. i think they got a girl with glasses to join them.. it's been. A while sincr i've read it.

I also really like the art style, it reminds me of older mangas. i want to say like Dragon ball, but there might be a manga that looks close to it.

1. Gurren Lagann.
4. Hellsing Ultimate.
5. Welcome to the NHK.
6. Samurai Champloo.
7. Kuroko no Basket.
9. Digimon.
10. Chunibyou.

Idk about chuunibyou.. it's good but not that good.

I'm an Avalanch fan. Not to happy right now especially aftwr the end of last year.

1. Gurren Lagann.
4. Hellsing Ultimate.
5. Welcome to the NHK.
6. Samurai Champloo.
7. Kuroko no Basket.
9. Digimon.
10. Chunibyou.

you put Madoka over Kuroko? damn with how much you try to push Kuroko that seems like a strong recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom