• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 6: Six Threads and a Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish I had that 30 minutes back from that preachy LTTP vs OoT video.
I loved how it took him absolutely forever to make that, and it came out as the messiest, most slapdash thing ever.
He might have been bigger, since he might have just kept making videos.
I do wish things had gone that way.
He just doesn't have any perspective. He measures everything based on the stuff he likes and not on its own merits.
Definitely. You said it better than I could.
You talking to me?

I never said such a thing.
He's reply to missus bull dreading the Errant a Signal video several posts back.

ErrantSignal often focuses on a few aspects of the game and really like to bring cultural analysis into his videos. Also I'm not sure why you would think he'd hate on Alien. It wasnt a review but he seemed to appreciate much of the game.

Everytime I play a game that I really like and he makes a video about it he takes a shit on it, hes like yatzhee except more serious.

Also I just stopped playing alien after I saw
a bunch of open facehugger eggs

You talking to me?

I never said such a thing.

I think he was talking to me

You know what I've realized? I don't like game criticism at all. Partially due to my working as one, but mainly because it's just fucking opinions and everyone likes radically different things and people always want different things from those reviews to serve the things they care about in the games being reviewed.

I talked to one guy who didn't like a Danganronpa review because the guy didn't reference the social implications of revealing
Chihiro's
secret as just a twist in a case. Ignoring any other criticisms or points just because of that.

Because they were actually pretty entertaining when they started? It was a decent idea and the hot thing at the time. Youtube's a business and they were big names.

So you think it was purely a business deal and less of a friendship?

You know what I've realized? I don't like game criticism at all. Partially due to my working as one, but mainly because it's just fucking opinions and everyone likes radically different things and people always want different things from those reviews to serve the things they care about in the games being reviewed.

Video games are in this weird area where many people are doing media critiques and trying to make academic material out of critiquing video games as a "medium".

I personally don't like that kind of critique. Those kind of critiques fail to see what makes games fun and so much more worthwhile vs other forms of media.

BazzBro

this just in, Egoraptor would be nothing without his early day animations and its ashame he didnt persue a job doing that, and has sinc ebeen oly known for the animations

instead hes some nerd that talks over video games on youtube

I talked to one guy who didn't like a Danganronpa review because the guy didn't reference the social implications of revealing
Chihiro's
secret as just a twist in a case. Ignoring any other criticisms or points just because of that.

"Bayo's awesome but I think it's probably offensive 7/10"

They were already friends playing games, I assume the decision to do GG was just because they realized it would be an easy way to make good money.

What I'm curious about is how Polaris came into the picture. That leads me to believe that it was a 1 year partnership.

Jon said that GG was the lowest point in his career. I believe him cause Ego sounds like a huge asshole

I'd believe it. Arin seems like the controlling type. This is also his way to make a living.

All criticism is generally opinions without anything to back it up. Reactions to games followed by reactions to those people's reactions are just fucking meaningless. That DOOM review where the guy says he wants to talk to the creatures and befriend them is a good example, games should be reviewed on their own merits, and the review structure is antithetical to that.

People also are rating games for different reasons. "Fun" is inherently subjective, and grading based on content like music and graphics doesn't really mean anything. Consumers want to know what to buy, reviews are just playing into a market.

(I will never stop pushing matthewmatosis, it's the most legitimate criticism I've ever seen bar none.)

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
What I appreciate with Matt, Woolie, and Liam is that they have cred.

They were QA guys. I'll take their critiques of games over anything Arin says.

Absolutely. You can always tell when Arin has his nostalgia glasses on.

Oh I think there is a lot of bad critiquing going on in the DkS 2 run right now, accusations of Woolie being DSP 2 notwithstanding lol

All criticism is generally opinions without anything to back it up. Reactions to games followed by reactions to those people's reactions are just fucking meaningless. That DOOM review where the guy says he wants to talk to the creatures and befriend them is a good example, games should be reviewed on their own merits, and the review structure is antithetical to that.

People also are rating games for different reasons. "Fun" is inherently subjective, and grading based on content like music and graphics doesn't really mean anything. Consumers want to know what to buy, reviews are just playing into a market.

(I will never stop pushing matthewmatosis, it's the most legitimate criticism I've ever seen bar none.)

Isn't media critique different from comprehensive game reviews?

Oh I think there is a lot of bad critiquing going on in the DkS 2 run right now, accusations of Woolie being DSP 2 notwithstanding lol

A lot of backseat gamers on the YouTube channel lol

Having said that, Woolie isn't getting GUD.

Chihiro's

One of the problems with game criticism is that you're expected to sum up a 10-100 hour experience in a few pithy summations. In general, games are much longer than movies, and much more complicated than books, so they really need much longer criticisms if you want to actually be objective. Hence matthewmatosis being great. He takes the time. Not the only problem with game criticism, but one of the big ones imo.

Oh, I understand what it is, I mean, I did it for awhile, but I'm more talking about the critiques similar to Matthewmatosis (Which is the only one I do like) since they're just going super in depth and then someone is bound to make a huge list detailing how every point they made was wrong, which only makes it clearer that the whole thing is just subjective opinion and there's no point to any of it.

Plus he was in a Pepsi commercial how hype is that

Didn't a pepsi rep ruin a gamejam he was in?

EDIT: Remembering the whole story now. It was a gamejam that got sponsored and they tried to turn it into a reality TV thing, but everybody walked out when they started to try and create artificial conflict.

Alright super off topic, but for those of you who use sticks: Do you feel like you hit the buttons too hard or can you control yourselves? I handle the stick pretty well I think, I don't ram it into the sides when I make motions, but I always slap the buttons and I feel like I should get out of that habit and actually just hit them with my fingers.
Didn't a pepsi rep ruin a gamejam he was in?

That was mountain dew I think

Isn't media critique different from comprehensive game reviews?
You mean media critique as in movies and books? Yeah it should be seperate, but it feels like many people treat them the exact same.
One of the problems with game criticism is that you're expected to sum up a 10-100 hour experience in a few pithy summations. In general, games are much longer than movies, and much more complicated than books, so they really need much longer criticisms if you want to actually be objective. Hence matthewmatosis being great. He takes the time. Not the only problem with game criticism, but one of the big ones imo.
Definitely, and you worded that perfectly. Nothing about games is simple enough to be boiled down like that, despite how hard people try. Reviews don't talk about anything remotely worthwhile 99% of the time.
Oh, I understand what it is, I mean, I did it for awhile, but I'm more talking about the critiques similar to Matthewmatosis (Which is the only one I do like) since they're just going super in depth and then someone is bound to make a huge list detailing how every point they made was wrong, which only makes it clearer that the whole thing is just subjective opinion and there's no point to any of it.
Fo sho, it's subjective opinions derived from objective facts like a list. There's no correct answer, and I don't think somebody's opinion will ever be fully agreed upon. You show the exact same tiny chunk of a movie, game, or book to two different people and they'll have different opinions about it.

Matthew does the best work I know of and it spawns a ton of great discussion, but it's not the word of god. It's a list of points and an opinion on each peice.

Alright super off topic, but for those of you who use sticks: Do you feel like you hit the buttons too hard or can you control yourselves? I handle the stick pretty well I think, I don't ram it into the sides when I make motions, but I always slap the buttons and I feel like I should get out of that habit and actually just hit them with my fingers.

I make my stick my bitch.

BLACKOUT GOD tho.

He shouldn't wait so long in between sessions.
It'll result in the same nasty comments he's been getting so far.

I haven't been keeping up with Souls since he beat the main game, but from what I hear the DLCs are harder than the main game (at least the first one was). I think people are forgetting that.

I think I missed out on it but I wanted to add: Nagito is easily my favourite character in all of Danganronpa. He's just great.

People should play Danganronpa. I mean if you've got a Vita, get it. If you're getting a Vita, get them. I think they're games that you must have if you want or have Liam ownership.

You mean media critique as in movies and books? Yeah it should be seperate, but it feels like many people treat them the exact same.

A lot of these "review" videos/articles jump into critique and that's when you have shit like Polygon's 7/10 for Bayo 2.

There's a place for both, but I don't believe the two should mix. Judge a game on its technical merits/flaws and give a comprehensive pro/con list. Boom.

Reviewing games should not be that hard. It really isn't that hard.

I haven't been keeping up with Souls since he beat the main game, but from what I hear the DLCs are harder than the main game (at least the first one was). I think people are forgetting that.

YouTube fans have been giving him shit since iron keep. I'd ignore their patronizing comments.

I think I missed out on it but I wanted to add: Nagito is easily my favourite character in all of Danganronpa. He's just great.

People should play Danganronpa. I mean if you've got a Vita, get it. If you're getting a Vita, get them. I think they're games that you must have if you want or have Liam ownership.

DR1 is probably my least favorite vita game I own. Or maybe P4G. I really don't like either of them.

YouTube fans have been giving him shit since iron keep. I'd ignore their patronizing comments.

I've stopped looking at them since the website launched, then just ignored them after TWD S2.

Definitely, and you worded that perfectly. Nothing about games is simple enough to be boiled down like that, despite how hard people try. Reviews don't talk about anything remotely worthwhile 99% of the time.

Longer reviews being the norm would also cut down on the kind of 3 paragraph whinefests that harp on one aspect of a game without discussing the overall package or experience. Some of these fucking people are like Zero Punctuation if Yahtzee took himself twice as seriously. (Not that he doesn't mean the criticisms he makes in Zero Punctuation, but he at the very least doesn't consider himself infallibly correct.)

I usually never use sticks, but when I do I jam the buttons like a madman.

Mountain Dew is Pepsi.

I'm seriously considering spending money on Deadly Premonition PS3. I really want to play it because I'm actually loving what I've played. Man fuck the PC version.

A lot of these "review" videos/articles jump into critique and that's when you have shit like Polygon's 7/10 for Bayo 2.

There's a place for both, but I don't believe the two should mix. Judge a game on its technical merits/flaws and give a comprehensive pro/con list. Boom.

Reviewing games should not be this hard.
Ah ok, I see your point now. I think the term review is much too associated with critique nowadays, it's easy and seen as insightful if you make a list of your problems. Plus it gets you much more popularity to be negative.
Some of that, on YouTube, is all coming back to the AVGN roots of game reviews on YouTube, where everyone want to make a funny one, but it also bleeds into ones that are meant to be serious.
i have nothing to add, but agree.
I'm seriously considering spending money on Deadly Premonition PS3. I really want to play it because I'm actually loving what I've played. Man fuck the PC version.
Same actually, the loading times being shit I'm not looking forward too though. I'm too spoiled by my PC.

I feel like they should be slapped. It feels really good when slamming buttons on a stick, so I usually hit hard and let my fingers recoil back into place.

I feel like they should be slapped. It feels really good when slamming buttons on a stick, so I usually hit hard and let my fingers recoil back into place.
Damn straight, you want to feel the heft of the stick remaining stable despite the beatings. Also I'm pretty sure people in other rooms can hear me super clearly when I'm practicing and I'm always self conscious that it's annoying
Don't let Shin Pat hear you.
Does he like Pepsi? I'm not sure what the Zaibatsu's standing on the coke pepsi wars are.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
ok guys its official
after much deliberation and realizing the WiiU has more games i currently care about compared to just FF Type 0 and Bloodbourne
im getting a WiiU for Christmas and a PS4 for my Birthday

Good decision

The best way to watch anime on a console imo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom