• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 7: FRIENDER65

Status
Not open for further replies.

croten

You and me both. I was hype when I heard about that at the end of the podcast.

Here's hoping for a more consistent frame rate as well. I'll take a constant 30 over a fluctuating one.

In this day and age they should be able to get it to 60. I have a feeling it's going to stay 30 though

In this day and age they should be able to get it to 60. I have a feeling it's going to stay 30 though

CC2 have never been a fighting game company. They're more about the spectacle of the game.

I'd rather them stay focused on what they're good at and keep the games at playable frame rates like the UNS series.

Story mode was one of the best things UNS3 had going for it. CC2 is amazing at creating beautiful cinematics that make even the most garbage of anime like Naruto seem pretty hype.

If you couldn't get into it with UNS3, Revolution won't change your mind. It's more of a filler game with no real story mode.

It's certainly beautiful, and the cutscenes are definitely hype, but yeah I didn't like Shippudden much, especially not post-Pain so the story mode can't really help me there.
I really did want to like the UNS series, hoping maybe the next iterations will catch me more.

If it's not your thing then the series just isn't your thing, it's as simple as that.

Thanks, I'm used to getting the whole "You're not playing it right", but I definitely see it's appeal in just being a fun flashy game with a series you enjoy.

It's certainly beautiful, and the cutscenes are definitely hype, but yeah I didn't like Shippudden much, especially not post-Pain so the story mode can't really help me there.
I really did want to like the UNS series, hoping maybe the next iterations will catch me more.

If you wanted more of a fighter and a game back when the show was good, check out Ultimate Ninja 3. Fantastic game.

Really hoping Woolie can convince them to play it for FNF some time.

THAT'S FUCKING BULLSHIT!
I came across an enemy 13 levels above me and it killed my guarding MC with Ice Resistance with a single fucking bufudyne!

If I'm literally far too low leveled for this area, why the FUCK am I getting so insanely little exp from every enemy I fight?!

Which one are you playing?

As for the exp, I know some games implement that sort of thing so you can't power level so killing things too far above you yield poor exp.

Xiraiya

Thanks, I'm used to getting the whole "You're not playing it right", but I definitely see it's appeal in just being a fun flashy game with a series you enjoy.

As Saix said, CC2 aren't a fighting company, but they know how to make games that do a series justice in all the visual aspects, (And they did some good RPGs) I like the simplicity of it as I think that works for Naruto and I found the story fun to watch but yeah if it's not your thing then that's just the way it is.

It's great to play in small bursts, but not a game that should be played for hours and hours, which is basically what Smash is like for me.

THAT'S FUCKING BULLSHIT!
I came across an enemy 13 levels above me and it killed my guarding MC with Ice Resistance with a single fucking bufudyne!

If I'm far too low leveled for this area, why the FUCK am I getting so insanely little exp from every enemy I fight?!
It's almost like Persona 4 requires you to grind.

You can actually beat SMT games without a single random battle. There's a Pacifist run of Nocturne, where he doesn't fight a single random battle, only required bosses.

P4G, which has been ridiculously easy so far, but I just suddenly got OHKO'd by a tank enemy despite everything being in my advantage.

I mean, I realize I'm too low leveled as everyone but Kanji loses half of his/her health in a neutral single hit, but I can beat them by abusing weaknesses. However, the abovementioned enemy has no weaknesses and he just got a free OHKO hit and there was nothing I could do about it.

The exp scaling idea would be the dumbest thing I've ever heard, as there is a recommended level for each area and these are unlocked in succession, so you can't just abuse it the way you said.

You desperately need to grind. That's all there is to it.

If you wanted more of a fighter and a game back when the show was good, check out Ultimate Ninja 3. Fantastic game.

Really hoping Woolie can convince them to play it for FNF some time.

I played quite a nice bit of UN3 and GNT4 back in the day, and yeah they were definitely more my speed.
I thought that a high-speed crazy 3d fighter would fit the series perfectly ala UNS, I just wish there was more depth there. I finished UNS1, and saw the potential, but then they removed side combo's in the sequels :\.

P4G, which has been ridiculously easy so far, but I just suddenly got OHKO'd by a tank enemy despite everything being in my advantage.

I mean, I realize I'm too low leveled as everyone but Kanji loses half of his/her health in a neutral single hit, but I can beat them by abusing weaknesses. However, the abovementioned enemy has no weaknesses and he just got a free OHKO hit and there was nothing I could do about it.

This is basically when I quit P3, because I fought a boss that was the same as this situation, so I feel you dawg. There was nothing I could do but slowly whittle him down and pray he didn't OHKO my party, and enemies gave little exp which meant tons of grinding if I wanted any noticeable difference.

As Saix said, CC2 aren't a fighting company, but they know how to make games that do a series justice in all the visual aspects, (And they did some good RPGs) I like the simplicity of it as I think that works for Naruto and I found the story fun to watch but yeah if it's not your thing then that's just the way it is.

It's great to play in small bursts, but not a game that should be played for hours and hours, which is basically what Smash is like for me.

I'd really love a new CC2 RPG, that's for sure. And yeah, I probably didn't do myself any favors by trying to just mindlessly get ryo for hours at a time, I get burnt out pretty easily unless I really love what I'm playing.

But I am so ready to get those hours and hours in on Smash.

Zenfalcia

GODDAMN IT! Why not just go with a mechanic that not just decreases your EXP gain when fighting against underpowered enemies, but also increases your EXP gain significantly when fighting against those far above your level? Why force people to resort to mindless grinding?!

That's because RPGs always need mindless grinding. Although the lack of scaling is dumb.

That actually was a pretty amusing commercial.

Also yeah, those tanks when you first encounter them in P4G can be pretty brutal but after that dungeon the entire game just became a cakewalk for me. The way I played it was finishing a dungeon then going back through from floor 1 to defeat the optional boss before I did the next major story bit.

GODDAMN IT! Why not just go with a mechanic that not just decreases your EXP gain when fighting against underpowered enemies, but also increases your EXP gain significantly when fighting against those far above your level? Why force people to resort to mindless grinding?!

This is why I don't play some JRPGs on normal anymore. It was never gonna be hard, just long. I just put it on easy because I don't want to spend 7 hours running in a fucking circle on the world map. That said, Persona's not one of those games, and I have no idea how you became this underleveled. Did you run past every shadow? Are you going back for the bonus bosses?

Village

Is it just me or was that good acting on Cena's part?

John Cena just needs to be John Cena and never wrestle again.

I think wrestling needs a " reality show" like the office or Parks and rec staring wrestlers that are like 70% normal but have some wrestler tendencies. Like Randy orton is a reasonable person, but he goes to like his nephew's school and wants to RKO the teacher.

I would watch the SHIEET out of that.

That was kinda awesome.
This is why I don't play some JRPGs on normal anymore. It was never gonna be hard, just long. I just put it on easy because I don't want to spend 7 hours running in a fucking circle on the world map. That said, Persona's not one of those games, and I have no idea how you became this underleveled. Did you run past every shadow? Are you going back for the bonus bosses?
He's abusing the Golden's easy fusions to get really far. It doesn't help that the tank enemies are gimmicky bullshit.
They should just add jojo characters to ultimax and call it a day
That'd be sick. They don't have a weapon, so all 4 buttons would just be Stand buttons.

croten

Not all of them, actually. And not all of them are as un-fun as grinding in P4.

Yeah, I know. I've been beating the bosses and pretty much every enemy on my first try and this is my only death so far, but I just hate the fact that there was literally nothing I could do about it.
Congrats, then you weren't underleveled. My situation has nothing to do with my build. I resist everything (and nullify physical and wind), I have the strongest possible armor I could have at the moment and I realized later on that I had an Ice Damage decreasing ring on (forgot to change it). The enemy I fought against had no weaknesses and I had no way of killing it before it could move. It killed me through my guard and my ice resistance with a dyne spell and did 1.5x as much damage as it needed to. There was literally nothing I could do.

I'm level 22 and at the end of
rise's
dungeon. I decided to look it up and the recommended level for this area seems to be around 35.

You just need to grind more, your progressing faster than you should be.

I've killed all of the available bonus bosses and I generally don't run from shadows (except on my way to bonus bosses in dungeons I've already visited and even then I only run occasionally. I don't want to play on Easy because I at least wanted some challenge during fights. Even normal hasn't been difficult, despite me being severely underleveled. I only died once from an unavoidable OHKO move.

My strategy (also on normal) was just to never go up the stairs until I mapped out the whole floor, and to fight literally every shadow I saw every time I saw a shadow. I was always right around the enemy's level. That way, you get the grind in your first two times through the place without ever actually feeling like you're grinding.

I suppose you could call it that. That being said, I doubt they'd change the fusion mechanics if they didn't want you to use them.

Honestly I didn't even bother using that feature of the game until I was near the end. I kind of glazed over it when they first explained it and it was my first Persona game so I had no idea about the ridiculous combinations you could make to just blitz through everything.

demidar

John Cena just needs to be John Cena and never wrestle again.

I think wrestling needs a " reality show" like the office or Parks and rec staring wrestlers that are like 70% normal but have some wrestler tendencies. Like Randy orton is a reasonable person, but he goes to like his nephew's school and wants to RKO the teacher.

I would watch the SHIEET out of that.

I would watch that but I doubt Vince (or whatever shadow boss) has he forethought to do that.

croten

My strategy (also on normal) was just to never go up the stairs until I mapped out the whole floor, and to fight literally every shadow I saw every time I saw a shadow. I was always right around the enemy's level. That way, you get the grind in your first two times through the place without ever actually feeling like you're grinding.

Yeah doing that usually puts you around the right level by the time you get to the boss, sometimes a bit lower which just means I have to grind a little

Yeah doing that usually puts you around the right level by the time you get to the boss, sometimes a bit lower which just means I have to grind a little

It's the Chrono Trigger rule. Most good JRPGs are balanced around you fighting everything because you explored the whole dungeon. Those ones I play normal. Games where you've done everything in the dungeon and you're still getting outleveled, put that shit on easy so I don't gotta deal with it.

seems Johto starters were revealed while i was asleep
you can pick one in the games
now then wheres Gen4 and 5 starters so i can new game my way to having them all?

I suppose you could call it that. That being said, I doubt they'd change the fusion mechanics if they didn't want you to use them.
The fusions were originally balanced by it being highly inconvenient to get OP fusions. They really just kinda slapped the convenience feature on without balancing it.
Damn it. All right, I'll just put KLK's OST on in the background and grind a bit and not lose my way in my mind. I hoped I could get through it on knowledge of the fusion mechanics and enemy types alone. Ah well.

I'm sorry. You are obligated to listen to Reach Out To The Truth for every battle.
Time To Make History when you suck and don't get a back attack :p

Beloved

It might be Wednesday but it feels like 10 Mondays condensed into one super shit mega day.

AND ITS ONLY NOON.

Anyway hai people

Who were those guys talking to? I couldn't see him.

Winner.

It might be Wednesday but it feels like 10 Mondays condensed into one super shit mega day.

AND ITS ONLY NOON.

Anyway hai people

Wait, it's Wednesday?

Reading your post made me think it was Monday. o_o

oh shit the ORAS rom is out there in the while
only a matter of time till we know EVERYTHING

Only a matter of time until the internet ruins everything!

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
In my experience in P4, grinding is not fun. The second dungeon enemies were the worst because half had no weakness and thats were they started doing dumb status affects at the beginning of battle. Also, the higher up enemies have elemental attacks that you are weak and they can ruin your parties hp with multiple free hits, cutting your grinding time.

Indeed it is. Happy Hump Day

\o/

In my experience in P4, grinding is not fun. The second dungeon enemies were the worst because half had no weakness and thats were they started doing dumb status affects at the beginning of battle. Also, the higher up enemies have elemental attacks that you are weak and they can ruin your parties hp with multiple free hits, cutting your grinding time.

I honestly felt like P4G was more about the relationships you built with the characters as opposed to a dungeon crawler. P4G was only a little challenging to me personally at the beginning because I was totally new to the series but after I learned about weaknesses and how to abuse them it was very rare for me to even even get hit by a generic enemy unless I got sneak attacked from not paying attention.

Zenfalcia

Well, my team is quite underpowered and dies easily, so I have to keep abusing weaknesses and the combat mechanics to win, which basically means every fight is a compilation of all-out attacks repeated until I have no more SP left, at which point I'd have to pay the fox with my left kidney in order to get my SP back. I checked out what the SOS function was and it seems that you can get healed if others chose to help you, I only occasionally get 1 support (healing me by 8hp and 8sp) every ten minutes, so I'm pretty much just ignoring that function.

Sounds like you're going through the game too quickly. You're too gud for the game.

croten

\o/

I honestly felt like P4G was more about the relationships you built with the characters as opposed to a dungeon crawler. P4G was only a little challenging to me personally at the beginning because I was totally new to the series but after I learned about weaknesses and how to abuse them it was very rare for me to even even get hit by a generic enemy unless I got sneak attacked from not paying attention.

Well Persona's combat is just bad. The main appeal is the writing, if you do like the idea of the combat then you should just play SMT

projectm-wolf-classic.png

Fuuuuuuuuuuckin awesome

Oberon

Banned
oh shit the ORAS rom is out there in the while
only a matter of time till we know EVERYTHING

I just hope that we can all the Reggies.

I am watching the prison sc- I mean break lp again. It's great my two favorite lines are
I am sorry Prison break, you deserve better
and
the game adapts to your playstyle
I hope we get more stupid licensed games like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom