• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 7: FRIENDER65

Status
Not open for further replies.

360pages

It's way easier to tweak an existing character than remake another character from a Brawl. I'm just glad DLC makes all of this possible.

Don't make Sakurai call you a child.

Eh, I play as Dark Pit, but there was no reason why he couldn't have been an alternate for Pit outside his copy pasta final smash from Zelda. All of his moves could have easily be set to custom moves and have a different voice clip.

DR.Mario gets off mostly because he as Melee Mario's moveset and Lucina I can accept, because I would rather have her as a clone than not at all.

Eh, I play as Dark Pit, but there was no reason why he couldn't have been an alternate for Pit outside his copy pasta final smash from Zelda. All of his moves could have easily be set to custom moves and have a different voice clip.

DR.Mario gets off mostly because he as Melee Mario's moveset and Lucina I can accept, because I would rather have her as a clone than not at all.
I know Dark Pit is trash, I was using him as an extreme example of how easy it is, technically speaking, to make clones. Mario and Lucins are fine, and if agree that Brawl had good clones.
C'mon Falco was waaay more likely to stay.
Heh
I'm not denying that. I just don't see a reason why Wolf had to go. He was just as different as Falco is from Fox.
I'd say he literally just missed the deadline. Sakurai like, handcrafts the hitboxes on moves and stuff and kills himself over it, with the deadline on Smash 4, they likely just didn't quite make it.

croten

That's what they did, then they realized that he was different enough to get his own slot, same with Lucina.

JoJo94

I know Dark Pit is trash, I was using him as an extreme example of how easy it is, technically speaking, to make clones. Mario and Lucins are fine, and if agree that Brawl had good clones.

Heh

I think me and Maragi went on a long rant about why Lucina shouldn't be a clone of Marth. her sword and fighting still wouldn't actually fit Marth it would be in between Marth and Ike probably. I am happy she is in but I think they could have done something cooler with her that's my main complaint.

360pages

To be fair, if my copy of Brawl was still working I would probably try Project M out.

With all that said, I don't want Dark Pit to be removed from the game, but if characters like Lucas and Wolf were cut for being to samey (Lucas being the only other mother character next to Ness) Then people have all the right to complain about Dark Pit.

croten

I think me and Maragi went on a long rant about why Lucina shouldn't be a clone of Marth. her sword and fighting still wouldn't actually fit Marth it would be in between Marth and Ike probably. I am happy she is in but I think they could have done something cooler with her that's my main complaint.

Oh yeah it's annoying that Lucina is a clone of Marth. She learned to fight from
Chrom

They could've, but that would've taken way more time and money, and she would've just not been in the game otherwise.

You're kidding right?

I wouldn't have said it if I was.

You might know who Sheik is but I had no idea before I played Melee. Most Zelda fans did indeed play Ocarina but I'll be honest that I couldn't actually remember Sheik's role in that game until I went back and played it because it's not something that really sticks out too hard when you're a child.

Game and Watch is also one of those relics of time that most kids who bought Melee had no idea who he was because he was before their time.

croten

I wouldn't have said it if I was.

You might know who Sheik is but I had no idea before I played Melee. Most Zelda fans did indeed play Ocarina but I'll be honest that I couldn't actually remember Sheik's role in that game until I went back and played it because it's not something that really sticks out too hard when you're a child.

I think you might be the minority there

Jman014

tumblr_nff4t8h4SY1qm8wf8o1_500.gif

Good morning everyone. Still playing Smash and ORAS.

That's pretty good animation.

360pages

To be fair, Smash games from Melee onward have always been super late/ tight with releases.

Mewtwo was probably was going to make it back into Brawl, but was cut because no time. They barely could fit Sonic in the game.

Dark Pit was probably the easiest of the three clones because he has the same moveset as well as using the same model as Pit.

Compared to Dr Mario who has a somewhat different moveset and Lucina who has a somewhat different model compared to Marth.

croten

Depends on what age group you're in.

Regardless, my point is that Wolf left an impact on nearly everyone that played Starfox 64 which was pretty much everyone on the planet who had an N64 at the time.

Didn't know who Wolf when I played Brawl but I sure as hell knew who Shiek was

Didn't know who Wolf when I played Brawl but I sure as hell knew who Shiek was

Did you not play Starfox 64?

I find it hard to believe that anyone who did wouldn't know who Wolf was because assuming you played it that fight at the end was a challenge for any child playing it and when a game usually presents you with a challenge it'll leave a mark on you.

Also, I looked it up and Wolf was actually in more than 1 game. I personally only ever played 64 so I just assumed you were correct.

Squishy3

Marth shouldn't have been in the game and it should have just been Lucina and Chrom

also korrasami is basically canon now as of episode 7

croten

Did you not play Starfox 64?

I find it hard to believe that anyone who did wouldn't know who Wolf was because assuming you played it that fight at the end was a challenge for any child playing it and when a game usually presents you with a challenge it'll leave a mark on you.

Also, I looked it up and Wolf was actually in more than 1 game. I personally only ever played 64 so I just assumed you were correct.

Nope, played Zelda though

360pages

Honestly it depends on the games you play. I knew who Wolf was since 64 and only knew who Sheik was after I played Melee.

With all that said, I'd rather have Wolf than Falco on the sheer virtue on the fact that Wolf is far more different than Fox or Falco, and I think having one hero/villain is more balanced.

360pages

Marth shouldn't have been in the game and it should have just been Lucina and Chrom

also korrasami is basically canon now as of episode 7

Nah, Marth should be in, he was the first main character of Fire Emblem, and if it wasn't for him than Fire Emblem probably wouldn't have even reached the states like it did.

Nope, played Zelda though

That would be why then. Simply a difference in exposure. I would expect you to know who Wolf was if you never touched the game. (GO PLAY IT NAO)

However, I was such a babby at the time when I played Ocarina that Sheik just left no impact on me at all and nothing memorable to remember her by so I had no idea who she was going into Melee.

Yooooooo, Mr. Game and Watch was hype. He had some moves that were downright nasty.

I didn't say he was bad. Just not memorable.

croten

That would be why then. Simply a difference in exposure. I would expect you to know who Wolf was if you never touched the game. (GO PLAY IT NAO)

However, I was such a babby at the time when I played Ocarina that Sheik just left no impact on me at all and nothing memorable to remember her by so I had no idea who she was going into Melee.

I didn't say he was bad. Just not memorable.

Played it, not impressed.

Shiek was Zelda, I find that much more impressionable.

360pages

Played it, not impressed.

Shiek was Zelda, I find that much more impressionable.

Really?

I think Star Fox 64 is a far better game than OoT, then again I think Star Fox has aged far more gracefully overall.

Hell, I think Star Fox 64 blows Kid Icarus uprising out of the water

I have already said what I feel on the clones. Dark Pit doesn't deserve to exist, and Lucina neither should have been not there, or outright replace Marth if you weren't going to use her actual moveset. Robin is more than enough representation for Awakening. Dr. Mario is fine, because it's the Melee moveset.

Next gen, same results.

Xiraiya

When I first played Melee, I didn't know who Nes was, didn't really care, I actually didn't really know Shiek despite playing OOT, I didn't get far enough to find out, but I immediately understood "Oh a Zelda Character, aaaand she is also Zelda, I guess that's a plot thing at some point, cool."

Not really a big deal.

360pages

I have already said what I feel on the clones. Dark Pit doesn't deserve to exist, and Lucina neither should have been not there, or outright replace Marth if you weren't going to use her actual moveset. Robin is more than enough representation for Awakening. Dr. Mario is fine, because it's the Melee moveset.

Next gen, same results.

Eh... Clones usually exist when they have a model, but not enough time to give them their own moveset. Which is probably why clones tend to be less cloney if they make it to the next game.

With all that said, I think people are mostly angry about Dark Pit than anyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom