• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 8: "You know, we really are the Super Best Friends Play"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shackzam

That show aged like milk.
GQRLAdt.gif

When I went to rewatch it recently, I didn't expect such feels for Bruce. The OP definitely set the tone for the show perfectly.

I honestly kind of want to go back and watch the entire Batman TAS and Beyond again. Those two shows were absolutely brilliant for their time and still hold up extremely strongly even today.

Okingjrr

This makes me wonder, what do you guys think was the greatest opening for a cartoon back in the day?

My vote definitely has to go to this one.

Fucking Rad
One Piece American op.

I honestly can't remember a specific one, but both justice League and unlimited have awesome openings. Teen Titans gets a special mention.

360pages

I guess it goes back to...why does everything have to be super deep and a deep character study to be good? In all honestly, I've grown more tired of that than anything else.

Just tell a fun story or ride?

I can see the appeal in things like inception or Neon Genesis, but honestly I would rather watch something like Avengers or Outlaw Star. Just something goofy and fun once in awhile.

Man, I can't remember many cartoon openings that stood out to me, or if there were any at all. I almost exclusively watched Toonami, and back then they always cut out the opening of each show in favor of their own custom bumpers, which I still feel like was a better trade.

You know what, it's not a show, but THIS fucking intro will always be the best to me out of anything.

Okingjrr

I do agree that Batman TAS and 90's Spider-Man were awesome as well.
Heck, I'll even throw in the X-men cartoon opening to the mix.

360pages

I love how 90s X-men and Spiderman is how crazy they got. I They felt like 100+ EP series, but yet they were only around 60. Probably because of how fast the story arcs went.

I'm serious, does anybody have any idea what Super Robot Monkey Team Hyper Force Go! is? I loved this show.
MV5BMTc3ODIwOTc1Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzM3NzgzMQ@@._V1_SX214_AL_.jpg

I loved it too, it was radical. Glorb dat opening and nostalgia

...no. I'm not a huge anime guy. I watched Ippo and Monster which were pretty good.

Does this make me a bad person?

Don't feel bad, I have no interest in watching it either, and I'm pretty sure that I've been here longer than you.
Don't fall for their pressure, never give up!

360pages

Also, do people honestly think Eva handled Giant robots well? When they vanished for the complete last 1/3 of the series almost?

Yeah no, I will never recommend eva to any giant robot fans. Because it's not a Giant robot series. It starts off as one, but devolves into something you will either love or hate. I would say watch the first 16 EP and if you like the characters keep watching, but if you want to see robot action than drop it like a brick.

Not saying the series is bad.

...no. I'm not a huge anime guy. I watched Ippo and Monster which were pretty good.

If you liked Ippo, there's really no reason for you to dislike Gurren Lagann. Though as a self-proclaimed member of the anti-fun brigade, you will have to force yourself through episode 8. Once you get there, the show takes on a whole new dimension. Honestly, watch it tonight. We all fucking love it, the best friends all fucking love it, everybodyy loves Gurren Lagann.

Shackzam

You're doing gods work by supporting Ippo, but the Best Friends foundations are embedded with the Gurren Lagann hype.
I'm serious, does anybody have any idea what Super Robot Monkey Team Hyper Force Go! is? I loved this show.
I remember the show being really good, but never watched the whole thing in sequence.

Unit24

Spider-man the Animated Series was fun at the time, but I just can't go back to it. It has not aged well at all.

Besides, we all know that Spectacular Spider-man is the best Spidey show. I'm super hyped for season 3HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAkill me.

If you don't like it, say you don't like it, but don't call it shit because it wasn't your cup of tea. That movie succeeded so hard at what it set out to do, and it did what it did the best it's ever been done. THAT'S what makes it a good movie, not that it has robots in it.

I get that I don't like big dumb robot fights but there was so little of that and most of the movie was just awful acting and that actually put me to sleep in the middle of the day. Its still better than godzilla.

How appropriate. You're just sour.

Naw just salt

Okingjrr

Spider-man the Animated Series was fun at the time, but I just can't go back to it. It has not aged well at all.

Besides, we all know that Spectacular Spider-man is the best Spidey show. I'm super hyped for season 3HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAkill me.
There there... :'(

The one where it was basically nothing but if in Spider-Man 3 Spidey wasn't allowed to punch people? No shit it aged poorly.

croten

You're doing gods work by supporting Ippo, but the Best Friends foundations are embedded with the Gurren Lagann hype.

I remember the show being really good, but never watched the whole thing in sequence.

Ippo and Gurren are probably my life blood at this point.

360pages

Don't worry, we'll get Ultimate Spiderman!

Don't you love how they give him a team, and yet in every episode they completely ignore them in favor of one off super heroes. How the fuck do they barely develop his other teammates? why are they even there if they are not going to do anything?

Also, do people honestly think Eva handled Giant robots well? When they vanished for the complete last 1/3 of the series almost?

Yeah no, I will never recommend eva to any giant robot fans. Because it's not a Giant robot series. It starts off as one, but devolves into something you will either love or hate. I would say watch the first 16 EP and if you like the characters keep watching, but if you want to see robot action than drop it like a brick.

Not saying the series is bad.
Eva is only good these days in the context of Super Robot Wars where everyone isn't falling the hell apart and Shinji can become a badass by adaptation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom