• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 8: "You know, we really are the Super Best Friends Play"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anung

Un Rama
Loved that FC4 co-op video :D Felt like old school Matt and Patt as fuck. Conflicted between wanting to get the game and supporting Ubishite.

joe2187

Banned
I hated how the show ended.

Fuck You Cartoon Network

The final episode was very well done.

Please enjoy Teen Titans GO!

vS1CoCZ.gif

Also, do people honestly think Eva handled Giant robots well? When they vanished for the complete last 1/3 of the series almost?

Yeah no, I will never recommend eva to any giant robot fans. Because it's not a Giant robot series. It starts off as one, but devolves into something you will either love or hate. I would say watch the first 16 EP and if you like the characters keep watching, but if you want to see robot action than drop it like a brick.

Not saying the series is bad.

I hated the Robots, there was no tension to any of the fight scenes and it just felt like a monster of the week showcase until the real shit started happening. One scene they literally tell you that there is virtually no chance of success and how everyone is doomed but we have to try anyway and then 2 minutes later everything is fine and they are planning to go out for dinner or something. I would have dropped the show if not for the reputation the last part of the show has and Frienders pushing me on.

Unit24

Don't worry, we'll get Ultimate Spiderman!

Don't you love how they give him a team, and yet in every episode they completely ignore them in favor of one off super heroes. How the fuck do they barely develop his other teammates? why are they even there if they are not going to do anything?

ZsH5Agf.gif

Unit24

One of the worst parts of Ultimate Spider-man is that they actually got J.K. Simmons to voice Jameson, then proceeded to completely waste him.

360pages

I hated the Robots, there was no tension to any of the fight scenes and it just felt like a monster of the week showcase until the real shit started happening. One scene they literally tell you that there is virtually no chance of success and how everyone is doomed but we have to try anyway and then 2 minutes later everything is fine and they are planning to go out for dinner or something. I would have dropped the show if not for the reputation the last part of the show has and Frienders pushing me on.

Honestly, the only thing I care for Eva are the actual Eva. I don't care about characters that barely ever try to make their lives better, and I don't care about a world that tries to make sure the character never makes their lives better.

I can't blame everything on the cast, no. The world warps the story and itself to make sure that this motherfuckers stay as depressed and broken as possible. Eva forgot that both good and bad things happen in life.

The story itself got predictable after awhile. Because you know nothing is ever going to look up for these people, nothing good is ever going to happen without something 10 times worse happening.

So why should I care? The story has no tension for the opposite reason, at least before I got to see giant fight scenes before.

Xiraiya

Dude Zoids was the shit.
The series with Van was fucking sick. Bladed Liger was the shit

The series with Van was the original, Chaotic Century, it had all the ancient god weapons and stuff, it was super hype, but New Century Zero was a pretty awesome premise too.
I wish I could find the subs and watch it uncut.

360pages

One of the worst parts of Ultimate Spider-man is that they actually got J.K. Simmons to voice Jameson, then proceeded to completely waste him.

I actual don't mind the art direction and the idea of spiderman having a team full of lesser heroes that I wanted to know more about could have been fun...instead they ignore them. Have thor show up 4 times and the side cast never gets developed beyond being there for an action scene.

If they were going to go with that layout, why not just have spiderman buy himself?

Do any of them cause the big bang?
The events of Getter Robo inevitably leads itself in that direction with the Getter Emperor, which is close enough. Shame we'll never see the remaining events leading up to it though, but that'd be too bleak.

Getter Emperor is basically the Spiral Nemesis except it ACTUALLY happens and has more weight to it being a huge threat to the universe since there's no avoiding it.

Unit24

I actual don't mind the art direction and the idea of spiderman having a team full of lesser heroes that I wanted to know more about could have been fun...instead they ignore them. Have thor show up 4 times and the side cast never gets developed beyond being there for an action scene.

If they were going to go with that layout, why not just have spiderman buy himself?

The art direction and animation are actually really good. My problem is with the awful writing and voice acting. Why is Spider-man just a dumb goofball now? Isn't he supposed to be smart? Why does he keep stopping time to talk directly to the viewer? Why are we getting these terrible cutaway gags and momentary art shifts for stupid jokes? And why oh WHY did they make him look like Tim Buckley?

360pages

The art direction and animation are actually really good. My problem is with the awful writing and voice acting. Why is Spider-man just a dumb goofball now? Isn't he supposed to be smart? Why does he keep stopping time to talk directly to the viewer? Why are we getting these terrible cutaway gags and momentary art shifts for stupid jokes? And why oh WHY did they make him look like Tim Buckley?

Yeah, I agree, it feels like a gag series for some reason. I do wish they just focused on the events and story without the forced jokes.

Honestly, the only thing I care for Eva are the actual Eva. I don't care about characters that barely ever try to make their lives better, and I don't care about a world that tries to make sure the character never makes their lives better.

I can't blame everything on the cast, no. The world warps the story and itself to make sure that this motherfuckers stay as depressed and broken as possible. Eva forgot that both good and bad things happen in life.

The story itself got predictable after awhile. Because you know nothing is ever going to look up for these people, nothing good is ever going to happen without something 10 times worse happening.

So why should I care? The story has no tension for the opposite reason, at least before I got to see giant fight scenes before.

When you are depressed you do forget that good things can happen. the creator was depressed when he made it and it really shows. The show does a great job of portraying depression and negative character traits. I went into the show looking for the destruction of a character and had to sit through those giant fight scenes that didn't interest me at all. We went into the show looking for different things. It is as simple as that. As a writer you have to see how well written these characters are. I hated Asuka for most of the show until I realized that the creator did a spot on depiction of a person with an inferiority complex and who puts up a strong outer image to hide her true self.

360pages

When you are depressed you do forget that good things can happen. the creator was depressed when he made it and it really shows. The show does a great job of portraying depression and negative character traits. I went into the show looking for the destruction of a character and had to sit through those giant fight scenes that didn't interest me at all. We went into the show looking for different things. It is as simple as that. As a writer you have to see how well written these characters are. I hated Asuka for most of the show until I realized that the creator did a spot on depiction of a person with an inferiority complex and who puts up a strong outer image to hide her true self.

The writing is good, and most of the characters are well written, but then again it means that I can say the characters are better than the plot itself. Though it should be said, if the series had a different background and told it plot without the robots I would have enjoyed it more, but trying to use the robots as a cover for the true message cheapens both for me.

In a way the series tricked me into thinking it was a deconstruction of Giant robots when it's not even a deconstruction but something different completely.

Then again Neon Genesis was a living series and you can easily tell that in how the show changes and evolves over time. I do think it really was planned as a deconstruction before it shifted.

I don't hate the series at all though. But I guess it did do something rarely other series have, it left me completely apathetic to the fate of these characters. Which in a way it did give me an emotion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom