• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Hexagon |OT| a VVVVVVery cool Terry Cavanagh game on iOS (PC/Mac later)

ghibli99

The control issue for me is more about not having any sort of tactile feedback than anything else. Sometimes I think I'm touching the screen when I'm not and other times my finger will barely touch one side of the screen and lead me to my death. That's just me, though, and for the majority of the time, it feels good. I thought it felt a bit too loose/touchy at first, but I quickly adjusted. It'll be interesting to play this (not just Hexagon) on the PC. I'll definitely buy that version too to play it BIG. :)

Haven't broken 66:43 yet on Hexagon Normal, but I'm trying. :p

Edit: And just like that, 74:10. This game is like crack.

Best piece of advice for Hexagon mode I think is to go play Hexagonest for ten minutes, even though you'll last about five seconds each time. Going back to Hexagon feels so slow and you're suddenly way better.

SmokyDave

I love the fact that a 30 second game can feel like a lifetime. This is such a great fit for a mobile game.

I'm slowly getting better. Really wish I had more time to sink into this because I can't stop thinking about it.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
On the topic of controls, I honestly can't think of any way to improve them. They're as good as touch controls can be, and that's not a slight, they're super responsive. I have yet to feel even the slightest frustration with this game, my failures are always on me.

This game is just so much fun. It's so simple, but so brilliant. It's perfect for quick sessions throughout the day, but at the same time I feel like I could sit down and play it for an hour straight without getting bored. Between this, VVVVVV and that weird cat MMO, Terry is on my short list of coolest dudes that make videogames.

Zia

Woke up and played Super Hexagon in bed this morning thinking about my flight tonight, and how nice it'll be to have that chunk of time in the air to play Super Hexagon.

Nosgoroth

EDGE 9/10

Holey fork. Congratulations, Terry!

Super Hexagon weds zen-like design purity with the highest order of twitch-reflex athleticism. It revels in the ineffable dance of muscle memory, the act of shutting off your brain and trusting your thumbs to guide you improbably to safety. Forget about VVVVVV. This is Terry Cavanagh’s masterpiece. [9]

...but I don't know about that.

I'm not sure if the tunes on her bandcamp are in the game. But if you want the music for the 1st level, it's on soundcloud

http://soundcloud.com/chipzel/courtesy
Not anymore...
Guess that's why! Bought; thanks.
There should be a chill out mode maybe. No score, no deaths (maybe you get stunned if you "die"), and make it HUD-less.
Then maybe I'd actually be able to play... I am so bad. Doesn't help that my iPhone 4 can't run anything anymore and is just a laggy mess. Any notification or GC sign in just kills the game.
Beat the 2nd level with 63.20 seconds. Progress!
WHAT ARE YOU?! :(

Empty

yeah this is wonderful. gonna be dreaming of spirals and shapes tonight. so tense - keep wondering how that play could only be twenty seconds as it feels like forever - and very replayable.

love the way it's randomized enough to keep you on your toes but also split into levels as well so you can feel yourself getting better at particular zones and have the fun of adapting as it mixes up the style between areas. i also get this weird sense of exploring uncharted waters when i blow past my previous best into a new area.

between this and ziggurat i think the argument against touch controls for action games has been demolished. they both feel great.

totowhoa

Banned
Oh man, loving this game. Beat Hexagon but still struggling with Hexagoner. The pattern where you're moving left and right repeatedly, but only in short little jumps or else you'll go too far down the dead end and not be able to get around the wall coming at you... left-right-left-right-left-right.... it always gets me. EDIT: eff yeah just got past one of those sections for the first time. Still haven't got past "square" on hexagoner. But I can feel that any minute now I'm just going to get in my groove and fly past the 60 second mark like I did in Hexagon.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I've never went out of my way to rate an app 5 stars before it even starts nagging, but this game, this game.

I can't think of any improvements off the top of my head other than frame-rate; I'm playing on a New iPad and sometimes it's silky, sometimes it's rough and choppy. So unless it's intentional (!!) I'd like to see it fixed in an update.

ghibli99

While I haven't played too many of the other modes in VVVVVV (a couple of the time trials and the guest-created games), it is definitely one of those games where the core experience doesn't have a whole lot to offer once you beat it. It's still a lot of fun to play through, but it won't provide the lasting challenge that Super Hexagon does. That's not a knock on VVVVVV... like Cavanagh said the other day, they're very different games. I've beaten VVVVVV a number of times on both the PC and 3DS. Great experiences with wonderful level design. Some of the best pacing, too. Love that I can sit down, play, and beat this in one sitting. In that sense, it really takes me back to the oldschool days.

At this point, I think I might prefer Super Hexagon, though. I just can't stop thinking about it, which is the mark of a really great game. I felt this same way recently about Super Meat Boy, Donkey Kong Country Returns, and Ouendan 2. You just can't stop playing, and when you do finally stop, all you want to do is play it again.

Edit: Regarding performance, it's pretty smooth on my iPad 1. The menus are choppy, but the actual game looks like it's a solid 60fps.

ghibli99

I love the spirals... even the ones that trick you into thinking they're spirals when they're not, or only partially. So evil. :)

While I haven't played too many of the other modes in VVVVVV (a couple of the time trials and the guest-created games), it is definitely one of those games where the core experience doesn't have a whole lot to offer once you beat it. It's still a lot of fun to play through, but it won't provide the lasting challenge that Super Hexagon does. That's not a knock on VVVVVV... like Cavanagh said the other day, they're very different games. I've beaten VVVVVV a number of times on both the PC and 3DS. Great experiences with wonderful level design. Some of the best pacing, too. Love that I can sit down, play, and beat this in one sitting. In that sense, it really takes me back to the oldschool days.

At this point, I think I might prefer Super Hexagon, though. I just can't stop thinking about it, which is the mark of a really great game. I felt this same way recently about Super Meat Boy, Donkey Kong Country Returns, and Ouendan 2. You just can't stop playing, and when you do finally stop, all you want to do is play it again.

Edit: Regarding performance, it's pretty smooth on my iPad 1. The menus are choppy, but the actual game looks like it's a solid 60fps.
Oh I'm sure it's not the game's fault. Everything is sluggish on my phone... Try running an iPhone 4 with less than a gig of free space. Not pleasant.

totowhoa

Banned
This game really gets you in this trance like state after awhile.

It really does, I haven't played a game in years that lets me go full on zen-mode like this. My leg fell asleep twice in the span on ten or fifteen minutes of playing lol

Oh I'm sure it's not the game's fault. Everything is sluggish on my phone... Try running an iPhone 4 with less than a gig of free space. Not pleasant.

Definitely not having any problems on my iPhone 4, but I do have more free space than that. Not sure how much I've got, though. I really want to try it on the iPad. While having your thumbs in the way doesn't cause too much trouble, I doubt I'll be able to beat hyper modes on the phone. Definitely need that extra split second that you don't have when your thumb is in the way. I played for about twenty minutes with my thumbs on the middle edge... I tried to play by only using the very bottom corners so I can see the obstacles coming into play more easily, but now it just feels weird tapping in a different place.

ghibli99

I didn't realize you could touch the incoming lines (as long as they don't crush you).

#gamechanger
Yeah, I figured this out on one of the spiral sections. I don't really do it often outside of those areas, though, nor do you have much - if any - time to do so. :)

totowhoa

Banned
Game bought

3 secs

Game over

Oh dear

took me about 5 minutes of play before that stopped happening with regularity haha. After playing for a little bit, watch the trailer again or play Hexagoner... it's so much faster looking that going to back to Hexagon will be much easier.

Yeah, I figured this out on one of the spiral sections. I don't really do it often outside of those areas, though, nor do you have much - if any - time to do so. :)

I've gotten squished several times on Hexagoner trying to make use of the fact that you can hit the bars... I will move under it at just the last second and die. I decided to stop messing with it, thought it might be more necessary for the hyper modes.

Shearie

I didn't realize you could touch the incoming lines (as long as they don't crush you).

#gamechanger

It's kinda like a bullet hell shooter where the hitboxes of your triangle thing and the lines that kill you are only small points of the visual whole. In this case, only the top tip of the triangle and the bottom part of lines affect each other.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Just popping my head in here to say that if you're enjoying the music, do check out Chipzel's Phonetic Symphony (both of them). I'm very happy to see her music get more exposure.

More on topic: fun game. My best after about two straight hours was about 44 seconds, and that was fluky. My average toward the end was under 30. I was playing on a friend's iPhone. The controls are quite perfect for a touch game, but even so I think I want this on my HTPC/MacBook.

Dark room, big TV, nice stereo, trippiness? Yes pls.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
oh shit damn you

rstNOl.jpg

japtor

I've never went out of my way to rate an app 5 stars before it even starts nagging, but this game, this game.

I can't think of any improvements off the top of my head other than frame-rate; I'm playing on a New iPad and sometimes it's silky, sometimes it's rough and choppy. So unless it's intentional (!!) I'd like to see it fixed in an update.
I've noticed that too, much more so on my iPhone 4 but it happens on the iPad too. Hard to tell whether it's actually dropping framerate sometimes, it seems to mostly happen on the second level where the music is shaking the level more than the others, like it might just be a visual side effect rather than an actual framerate drop sometimes.

Booter

still playing, still addicted. this is godlike gaming.

best in hexagon: 67:32
best in hexagoner: 47:40

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Latest 8-4 Play podcast got me a little hyped on this game, but I almost had a seizure just from looking at the screens.

Not sure if my brain will physically allow me to play this one sadly.

epmode

Performance on an iPad 3 isn't perfect. The quieter sections of a song are pretty smooth but once everything starts jumping around, it looks like the framerate drops. Maybe the distortion is throwing off my judgement!

totowhoa

Banned
Yeah I haven't played the hyper levels much at all yet, but all three of the main levels seem smooth on my iPhone 4. What level was that leaderboard for, Wario?

Empty

trying faster modes then coming back to the original is an excellent tip, every significant jump in my best has come nearly immediately after dong that. fun to see myself improve at the faster modes that i considered a joke when i first tried them too.

ghibli99

30.11. Finally. Playing on iPad. I started to play with the iPad farther away and seemed to do better. I wonder if it's easier on iPhone.
I do better on the smaller screen. I regularly get into 60-70s territory whereas on the iPad, I'm about 10s worse on average. Probably just an adjustment/preference thing.

Alpha_eX

There's a really nasty bug in this that crashes the game when you get Game Over, resetting the app doesn't fix it, the game freezes again when you start a level. If you turn off the iPod, the problem is still there.

Only solution is to uninstall the game, losing all data, and reinstalling it again :(

japtor

Performance on an iPad 3 isn't perfect. The quieter sections of a song are pretty smooth but once everything starts jumping around, it looks like the framerate drops. Maybe the distortion is throwing off my judgement!
I thought the same thing about the distortion but I saw it while playing a bit now, it definitely looks like a framedrop. Happened like 40 seconds into a run on Hexagoner (...not that I reached 60 seconds, died at 50).

Top Bottom