• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Well looks like it's finally time to take out my Arrested Development joke from the OP. :(

Maddness said:
I want to play this and SF64 so bad, but I just can't justify a 3DS purchase over fear of a revision.

Lame.

This is the lamest meme ever.

Edit: There's tons of folks still playing on original model 360s and PS3s even though revisions came out, and there still tons of folks on PSP 1000 and 2000s even though the 3000 exists. New hardware doesn't automatically invalidate old hardware.

More importantly, if a revision comes out, just buy the damn thing, transfer your data, and sell your old one. Jesus Christ.

TheNatural said:
So you're willing to justify spending $250, plus tax, to play two games - but you're not willing to justify paying for it and selling it when a revision comes out, for maybe a $40 difference in getting an upgrade?

I seriously don't understand the ridiculousness involved when people worry about revisions to a system when they're willing to blow a lot more just to play a couple games, but wouldn't risk a small margin of that cost to sell the system to get an upgraded version.

It's now $169, not $249 anymore.

Dr.Hadji

AbsoluteZero said:
Why? It's the Mario Galaxy team. Every title they've developed has been gold.

Like Zelda SS people were strangely down on 3d Land. Looks like the funk lasted up until reviews for 3d Land though.

As far as a revision goes? I'd be more afraid of buying the second revision and then feeling frustrated that you didn't wait for the third.

Best to buy the first, skip the middle, and then buy the best iteration.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Some reviews are really conflicting.

Majority say that 3D matters and adds a lot to the gameplay, then you have places like GameSpot saying 3D doesn't add anything.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Not much of a review person but it is interesting to note the average scoresheets compared to the pre-release mindset of this game.

Skilletor

Haziqonfire said:
Some reviews are really conflicting.

Majority say that 3D matters and adds a lot to the gameplay, then you have places like GameSpot saying 3D doesn't add anything.

Why is that surprising?

I dislike 3D in OoT (in general, actually) and don't think it adds anything. Others would argue otherwise.

From what I've seen of 3D Land so far, Parish's review seems to be more or less in line with what I expect from the game. Wouldn't mind if it turns out to be even better, though!

BY2K

Membero Americo
The sad thing is some complain that the 3D doesn't add to the gameplay and they want it to be used as part of the gameplay, but Nintendo doesn't want that. They don't want 3D to be required to play the game, cause there is people who just can't see it.

markot

Banned
Skilletor said:
Why is that surprising?

I dislike 3D in OoT (in general, actually) and don't think it adds anything. Others would argue otherwise.
The 3d is meant to be actually used for puzzles though >.< so its not just a 'gimmick'

markot

Banned
If you either can't perceive 3D or turn the effect off, some jumps become harder, and there are even a few small rooms that only make sense with the depth that the 3DS offers—you'll actually see an icon on the screen during these sections so you know to turn on 3D if you've kept it off—but the 3D effect is not necessary to enjoy or finish the game. The game is much stronger with the 3D turned on, and Nintendo throws many neat moments and tricks into the game that are much more effective in 3D, but all audiences are welcome here.
They tried to make it part of the gameplay at least abit!

zigg

Kobun sez there are no "invincible fursuits" in the special worlds... does this mean that I don't have to worry about dying five times and giving up my rainbow stars once I clear the normal worlds? Because that sounds much more attractive.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
markot said:
How can people be surprised a Mario game is awesome?

Thats like being shocked milk is white...
There was a lot of pessimistic impressions from various people at gameshows who were able to test drive demos of the game months ago. Not saying that I am slotted in with the same crowd who would be "surprised" at Mario having a good game, but you can not deny that a lot of people had already made their mind up about this game. The simple fact that Hayashida was directing this one again after Mario Galaxy 2 was enough of a reason for me to be anticipate it greatly.

Once the J-GAF impressions flowed through, with a majority of them glowing, the perceptions shifted. I imagine these reviews will have forced a lot of people who were sitting on the fence to jump off and head in to a store to grab the system.

slaughterking said:
From what I've seen of 3D Land so far, Parish's review seems to be more or less in line with what I expect from the game. Wouldn't mind if it turns out to be even better, though!
His review seems contradictory. 'The game is way too easy (if you exclude the post-game content). This game is way too short (if you exclude the post-game content). The games visuals are too good for the 3DS (I wish it was on another system). The game almost feels like it forces you to use 3D (to accurately make jumps and it gives me a headache).' is exactly how his review read like. He made a complaint and then later on in the review said 'well actually it isn't that big of a deal because x, y, and z solve this issue that I'm complaining about'.

Not dismissing his review because as I've stated many times I have issues with the game from what I've seen and I've always been a bit underwhelmed with the game itself. It just seemed to me Parish's review was all over the place.

muu

only things keeping me from buying this release-day is a possible BF sale, and the fact that unlike what seems like 99% of GAF on the threads I'm enjoying MW3 multiplayer. What kind of doorbuster/sales could we expect? I'll be in Oregon this weekend so I could just count it as 4 bucks in taxes saved vs buying in WA.

People holding out for a revision should look into purchasing from Walmart, or anywhere else that has a universal 90day return policy. You'll have a 3month window where they could announce a revision as you say and still be able to return for a full refund. If there's no announcement and you don't feel that it's been worth it at day 89, you can still return and play the waiting game.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
My fiance has been sending me pics of all these people in Mario suits with tails (Tanooki homage I'm assuming) walking all over Chicago. So jealous, and really happy they're doing that.

muu said:
only things keeping me from buying this release-day is a possible BF sale, and the fact that unlike what seems like 99% of GAF on the threads I'm enjoying MW3 multiplayer. What kind of doorbuster/sales could we expect? I'll be in Oregon this weekend so I could just count it as 4 bucks in taxes saved vs buying in WA.

People holding out for a revision should look into purchasing from Walmart, or anywhere else that has a universal 90day return policy. You'll have a 3month window where they could announce a revision as you say and still be able to return for a full refund. If there's no announcement and you don't feel that it's been worth it at day 89, you can still return and play the waiting game.

You could return on day 89, and then buy a new one the next day, restarting the cycle all over again.

GENIUS!

Maddness

AbsoluteZero said:
Well jeez that was a quick change of mind eh?

Buying a 3DS was never the question. It was buying one now vs waiting. After a few more Mario videos and hearing thoughts in this thread I decided that waiting was for the birds.

now is for closers.

zigg

speedpop said:
There was a lot of pessimistic impressions from various people at gameshows who were able to test drive demos of the game months ago.

Let's be fair, here. After the Galaxy twins, it was a pretty dull demo.

Still wondering if the rainbow stars are at risk if I die more then five times in the special world. Anyone?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
zigg said:
Let's be fair, here. After the Galaxy twins, it was a pretty dull demo.

Still wondering if the rainbow stars are at risk if I die more then five times in the special world. Anyone?

Yes. Rainbow stars only appear if the white Tanooki suit and P-Wing never appear, I believe.

Maddness said:
Buying a 3DS was never the question. It was buying one now vs waiting. After a few more Mario videos and hearing thoughts in this thread I decided that waiting was for the birds.

now is for closers.
Now whenever a revision does come, you have to ask yourself whether you can hold out for the third version.

I'd say if it's not XL sized, just hug your first edition close and hang in there.

Top Bottom