• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

bodyboarder said:
How long just to finish it normally? Or did you do everything as you went.

I went through it as thoroughly as possible the first time through.

Sinthetic said:
ROFL @
8 seconds! Are there time trials on every level?

Yes. Just don't start from the midpoint flag.

watershed

Banned
I wonder do people think that the lack of themed worlds is a flaw? I was just reading an article that said that lack of a desert world, grass world, etc was a missed opportunity. But that's something I'm actually glad for. As much as I love the 2d mario games I am bored of the grass world, desert world, fire world progression.

Sinthetic

artwalknoon said:
I wonder do people think that the lack of themed worlds is a flaw? I was just reading an article that said that lack of a desert world, grass world, etc was a missed opportunity. But that's something I'm actually glad for. As much as I love the 2d mario games I am bored of the grass world, desert world, fire world progression.

I'm happy without loads of levels based on a certain theme. I'm ready for something a little different with this game and it sounds like we're getting it.

watershed

Banned
Sinthetic said:
I'm happy without loads of levels based on a certain theme. I'm ready for something a little different with this game and it sounds like we're getting it.
That's how I feel. I hope we get a lot of varied, experimental, almost nonsensical levels that don't have to adhere to a strict theme or be grouped together by a theme. I have seen a desert level and a water level but it looks like we won't be playing 4 or 5 of those in a row which is good to me.

BowieZ

Banned
artwalknoon said:
To me it sort of is. I like the sensation of adventuring across lands to save the Princess, rather than simply completing abstract playground levels that are arbitrarily divided into a difficulty order of sorts.

The lands don't have to be themed with the old-school cliches, nor do they have to be particularly strict throughout.

I think the extra layer of adventure and logical progression encourages one to go back and experience it again, on top of the individual 2 minute thrill rides that aren't so difficult the second time through, if even the first time.

artwalknoon said:
I'd prefer more cohesive levels. I fully admit that I'm not a fan of the whole floating blocks in the middle of space thing(which to me is even less varied that the usual Grass/Desert/Ice/ fire thing). EAD Tokyo seems to think it's the best way to emulate 2D Mario but I always felt Mario(including the 2D one) was an actual world you were travelling through. However, I wouldn't mark it as a negative because it's just a personal preference. This design choice allows for different things to be done than possible with a cohesive theme/world.

BowieZ said:
To me it sort of is. I like the sensation of adventuring across lands to save the Princess, rather than simply completing abstract playground levels that are arbitrarily divided into a difficulty order of sorts.

The lands don't have to be themed with the old-school cliches, nor do they have to be particularly strict throughout.

I think the extra layer of adventure and logical progression encourages one to go back and experience it again, on top of the individual 2 minute thrill rides that aren't so difficult the second time through, if even the first time.

I feel exactly the same way. I think that's one reason I don't hold the Galaxy games in a god-like position.

Lord_Byron28 said:
This design choice allows for different things to be done than possible with a cohesive theme/world.

Not necessarily. Mario is surreal enough to fit almost anything into a world theme.

watershed

Banned
BowieZ said:

I definitely loved the world of Super Mario World for the SNES back in the day but since then I haven't felt the same about any world or world themes in mario since. For example I thought Sunshine was really held back by its strict adherence to the water/beach/vacation island theme with the best platforming levels being those completely abstract floating ones.

Even though I really enjoyed NSMBDS and NSMBWii even more the world themes bored me. EAD seems to flex their creative muscles better when they are designing without world themes or maybe the game just feels fresher when I'm not playing 4 lava levels in a row. I'm sure the same creative level design could be applied using themed worlds but I'm not convinced yet.

Mistle said:
Wait, there's no themed worlds? The entire game is just generic floating 3D blocks and shapes?

No, there are a few themed worlds.

EDIT: Whoops, themed levels not worlds. Each world is quite eclectic.

Mistle said:
Wait, there's no themed worlds? The entire game is just generic floating 3D blocks and shapes?
No but from what I've seen the majority of them are blocks floating in space. Nothing from what I've seen are remotely like World, 64, Sunshine or the Galaxies where it seems like an actual living world though.

I definitely loved the world of Super Mario World for the SNES back in the day but since then I haven't felt the same about any world or world themes in mario since. For example I thought Sunshine was really held back by its strict adherence to the water/beach/vacation island theme with the best platforming levels being those completely abstract floating ones.

Even though I really enjoyed NSMBDS and NSMBWii even more the world themes bored me. EAD seems to flex their creative muscles better when they are designing without world themes or maybe the game just feels fresher when I'm not playing 4 lava levels in a row. I'm sure the same creative level design could be applied using themed worlds but I'm not convinced yet.
Yeah, that's one of the reasons why SMW is my favorite 2D mario(don't kill me but I've never played YI). I agree on NSMB series as well but I found NSMBWii to probably be the best technical Mario even though it isn't my favorite Mario. The NSMB series is a little too by the books and I wish that Nintendo tried harder to further evolve 2D Mario because SMB-SMB3-SMW-YI all were significant evolutions and advancements in 2D Mario but it kind of stopped after there. Another trend I noticed is that Nintendo seems complacent and reusing the same world themes over and over again when they could do more than just plains, desert, volcano, ice world, forest, etc.

DKCR was probably the most refreshing 2D platformer I played this gen. It captured the imagination of a liveable world like in SMW as well as constantly and consistently throwing new things and extremely tight level design. If you haven't played it I highly reccomend DKCR. I also think it's the perfect example of how thematic worlds doesn't have to come at the price of good level design. While I do have my issues with things about DKCR, I'd love if Retro did nothing else but do level design for a Mario game.

zigg

Slot me in the "don't care about themed worlds" column. I don't need to slog through a set of grass levels, a set of desert levels, a set of ice levels, etc. The freedom to cast any level as the designers see fit lends a much more playful and whirlwind spirit to the proceedings that I appreciate much more than trying to force an imaginary storyline on the thing.

Josh7289

Woohoo, got my copy today!

The production values of this game just blow me away. It seems they've thought of everything to make the experience as consistent and entertaining as possible within the game design.

I've played through the first two worlds so far and while it is lacking a bit of challenge, maybe that'll come in later. Even if it doesn't, the mechanics I've gotten to play with so far have been fun
(I love the level where the platforms switch whenever you jump, even though it's not new for the series)
and I'm looking forward to getting back to it.

Also I agree that 30 fps is a bit disappointing.

And no instruction booklet is :( But oh well, it's really not a big deal. The future is digital after all, even for Nintendo, and the game does a good job of explaining things along the way.

Shiggy

Does anyone have a link to the video from the
Beat Block-like
level? The music was quite nice, so that would be enough too.

How likely is it that Amazon will get this game to my house on Saturday? Anything ordered through Prime generally arrives in one day due to what I assume is proximity to a distribution center, but I'd almost rather not wait an extra day if that doesn't turn out to be the case.

maeda

So, people, are there any deals going on for the game, or do I have to wait until Black Friday to pick it up? I really want Star Fox but under no circumstances will I pay 40$ for it. Give me buy one get one half!

watershed

Banned
maeda said:
So, people, are there any deals going on for the game, or do I have to wait until Black Friday to pick it up? I really want Star Fox but under no circumstances will I pay 40$ for it. Give me buy one get one half!
Someone mentioned a deal at Kmart if you have their card. $15 gift card I think.

maeda

artwalknoon said:
Someone mentioned a deal at Kmart if you have their card. $15 gift card I think.
With the tax factored in, SF 64 will be way above 20$. I will wait. Good thing I have tests all this and next week. The wait won't be too painful!

mutsu

Just started on the
Special stages. I thought it would just be more of the same. Man am I wrong!

zigg

Dr.Hadji said:
9.5 from GameInformer. Anyone with the mag want to give any highlights?

This would have surprised me a few weeks ago. This game looked so unassuming before people actually started getting their hands on it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
GI added to OP, and screenshots removed. I've been thinking, should I replace the Powerups section with one that details the star system? Some people might want to know about the rainbow sparkle requirements or whatever.

Ocaso

Maddness said:
I want to play this and SF64 so bad, but I just can't justify a 3DS purchase over fear of a revision.

Lame.

People need to realize that any revision is at least one year away. I see no issue with buying a 3DS now then selling it if you really need the revision. It's a solid system for the price as is.

TheNatural

My Member!
Maddness said:
I want to play this and SF64 so bad, but I just can't justify a 3DS purchase over fear of a revision.

Lame.

So you're willing to justify spending $250, plus tax, to play two games - but you're not willing to justify paying for it and selling it when a revision comes out, for maybe a $40 difference in getting an upgrade?

I seriously don't understand the ridiculousness involved when people worry about revisions to a system when they're willing to blow a lot more just to play a couple games, but wouldn't risk a small margin of that cost to sell the system to get an upgraded version.

zigg

Andrex said:
Some people might want to know about the rainbow sparkle requirements or whatever.
The rainbow bit in particular I think everyone needs to know going in. Many (normal, i.e. not me) people won't care, but some of us crazies really appreciate the info.

Jimmy Stav said:
How likely is it that Amazon will get this game to my house on Saturday? Anything ordered through Prime generally arrives in one day due to what I assume is proximity to a distribution center, but I'd almost rather not wait an extra day if that doesn't turn out to be the case.

the saturday BEFORE it comes out?
the 12th?
0%.
I dont think they'll ship it until Monday, even with Prime.

Maddness said:

Lame.

haha, yeah, something here is lame. thats for sure.

get it now.
play games.
when a revision comes out, trade it out to decrease the cost.

.la1n

TheNatural said:
So you're willing to justify spending $250, plus tax, to play two games - but you're not willing to justify paying for it and selling it when a revision comes out, for maybe a $40 difference in getting an upgrade?

I seriously don't understand the ridiculousness involved when people worry about revisions to a system when they're willing to blow a lot more just to play a couple games, but wouldn't risk a small margin of that cost to sell the system to get an upgraded version.

Assuming said system retains it's value that well which is not always a given.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Maddness said:
I just can't justify a 3DS purchase over fear of a revision.
Is it a meme? Seriously we are close to have this sentence posted on every 3DS thread page.

Maddness

Look, obviously I want to play those 2 games, sure. But I'm investing in a system for the long term and fully expect to play other games. Resident Evil, Ocarina of Time, Metal Gear, etc. I just didn't think it was really necessary to go into a post explaining all 10 games and future games that may or may not come out that I'll be interested in purchasing. Why would anyone pay that much money just to play 2 games and never play anything else?

I still own every Nintendo console/handheld that's been released here in the US, as well as Playstation/Xbox models. My thing is, I hate revisions. I've been boned in the past on revisions and honestly I'm just tired of buying them only for revisions to come out later (lately very soon after the one I bought is released).

Granted, this is probably all just BS talk anyway, as I've been tempted to buy that Mario bundle since I saw it.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
IGN reviewed the game here.

9.5 and said it's a game that 'legitimizes 3D'

Top Bottom