• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

So I guess the first 8 worlds (or the main game itself) is good, but pretty bland compared to the Galaxy games. However, it seems that after you beat the game, the real fun stuff starts happening.

That means reviews for this game will probably be all over the place.

zigg

Andrex said:
Yes. Rainbow stars only appear if the white Tanooki suit and P-Wing never appear, I believe.

Right; I'm trying to figure out if they do show in the special world, because Kobun's review says:

Then comes the biggest surprise in a game full of them: Once you finally send Bowser packing, you find you’re only half done, and that eight more worlds of remixed challenges await. These are all based on levels you’ve already played, although many of them are so dramatically altered as to be wholly new experiences.

Quite a few rely on speed-running: You’ll start the game with only a tiny bit of time on the clock, and have to book it through a level grabbing more time while avoiding death — oh, and you have to get those Star Coins while you’re at it. There are no invincible fursuits to help you.

I'm not clear whether it's just the speedrun levels that don't show the helper items, or all the special worlds.

Spike

I've been saying all along that there would be nothing to worry about because it is EAD Tokyo. They haven't released a bad/average game yet.

zigg

Sinthetic said:
Zigg and I are going to be going for full completion, I can see that for sure. Reminds me of Mass Attack!
:-D

I have sparkly stars on my NSMB file, and by God, I'm not stopping now.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Andrex said:
Did I get all the reviews in the OP?
There's another one here from Forbes: Super Mario 3D Land Review: "The Game That Will Make You Glad You Purchased a 3DS"
The One to Rule Them All

Mario 3D Land more than lives up to expectations – it is the game that will make you glad you purchased a 3DS, whether you paid $249 or $169. It’s a must-own sequel that will dazzle your senses and frequently blow your mind, all the while taking you back to the nostalgic roots of Mario’s 8- and 16-bit beginnings.

+ a 4,5/5 from pcmag.com

+ a 9/10 on craveonline.com
Super Mario 3D Land is now officially the banner title for the Nintendo 3DS. That may not last long given the proximity of Mario Kart 7, but this Mario title is definitely a fantastic reason to pick up Nintendo's handheld. Fans of the game type will love what Nintendo's done here, as another classic has seen birth in the brand.

daakusedo

I'll have to play it, but I'm a little surprised by the game being so easy at first, cause in last trailers, for comparison when I saw ideas from galaxy 2 like wooden platforms cutted and falling or red and blue slabs, it looked like harder versions. And never this game was mentioned to be easy by reviewers.

zigg said:
I'm not clear whether it's just the speedrun levels that don't show the helper items, or all the special worlds.
I didn't get a helper item in any of the special levels. Sorry if that's ambiguous.

SaintMadeOfPlaster said:
So I guess the first 8 worlds (or the main game itself) is good, but pretty bland compared to the Galaxy games. However, it seems that after you beat the game, the real fun stuff starts happening.

That means reviews for this game will probably be all over the place.
Seems like every review has been 85% or higher so far..

linko9

Wow, those are some insane sales. I'd expect that at the END of a console's life, not the beginning. Wonder how the NA sales will fare.

Edit: and yes, this should def. be a new thread.

Murrah

Banned
Fernando Rocker is now a C-list celebrity in the gaming community now huh. I remember his humble Joystiq beginnings

maeda

So how many "real" power ups are there in the game? Is there anything other than boomerang and fire flowers or tanooki suit?

maeda said:
So how many "real" power ups are there in the game? Is there anything other than boomerang and fire flowers or tandoori suit?

tandoori_suit.jpg

twingloxx2 said:
So Super Mario 3D Land is better than Uncharted 3.

So how many "real" power ups are there in the game? Is there anything other than boomerang and fire flowers or tandoori suit?
Mushroom.... Just look at the op those are all the power-ups. I personally feel there should've been one more like Cloud or Ice Flower but maybe that's just me.

The Eurogamer review was actually a pretty good read. Hype is through the roof for this game now. I'll be picking up Skyrim (PC version) on Friday but I find myself thinking more often about SM3DL.

Love this new batch of reviews, glad to hear the general consensus confirms what our importers had which is "The game is deceptively simple at first but get ready for a serious challenge later."

And we don't have enough Tanooki avatars. Here is a pic of my rare Tanooki Mario plush, it was in a set of UFO catcher figures Banpresto issued for the Japanese release of Mario All Stars back in '93.

Tanookiplush.jpg

Sinthetic

It really was a pleasure to read that review. I felt like a kid discovering something awesome for the first time.

Oh, and Tanooki plush is amazing!

Andrex said:
I thought it was a Bee Mario plush at first.

Ha, funny. Speaking of Bee Mario, I really liked that power up but how much more amazing would SMG have been with Tanooki Mario flying between planets? My dream launch title for Wii U woukld be SMG 3 with SMB 3 power ups.

Here is a pic of my Hammer Mario plush form the same rare UFO catcher set:

HammerMarioplush.jpg

Can someone explain to me what exactly happens once you beat the main worlds?

From what I understand (or don't),
there are more worlds that are even more difficult? Or is it just the same worlds/levels remixed? Haven't really gotten a clear understanding of what exactly happens, so if anyone wants to clear that up for me, that would be awesome.

Effect

I wonder how likely it will be to find this in a store before Sunday. Guess I could try GameStop but rather not do business with them even if they are willing to sell it a few days early. Rather not head to Best Buy this Sunday if I can help it. Rather save the gas since I'm making a special trip to there on the 20th already for Zelda. Guess I could just pick it up then but then I run the risk of them not having copies. Amazon might be the best option however there is a real possibility that with free shipping I could have Zelda: Skyward Sword in my hands before Mario arrives in the mail. Free Shipping on Amazon.com has been horribly slow in the last few years.

Gotta decide quickly how I'm going to get this game. :(

Top Bottom