• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

Was the
rainbow colored star reward
rumor a lie? My 再チャレンジ回数 is 0 and I completed the
S8-crown
level with both brothers.

zigg

Lord Ghirahim said:
Was the
S8-crown
Were you ever offered a cheat power-up?

I'm guessing there's no way in hell they'd break launch date for such a big release, but my local Target already has the spot out for Mario. Just a blank case now, but I thought it was kind of weird to clear out a spot that could hold another game three days early. I'll probably stop by and see if they end up selling it early tomorrow and Saturday, this is the first game I've been really excited for in a long, long time and the Target is literally right across the street from me.

The game was so close to coming out on a perfect day, my college is completely closed tomorrow and I usually have Friday classes, so I've got nothing going on all day.

Is there any precedent for Target breaking launch date on something like this?

CrisKre said:
just picked up my copy in LA ! cant way to try it out
Oh shit, where at? I know I'm probably getting myself excited for nothing, but it does seem weird to me that they'd clear the spot so far in advance.

Lord Ghirahim said:
Was the
S8-crown
Wait a minute.
Mario and Luigi have to beat all the levels and get all the star coins? Like with the first Mario Galaxy?

SleepyJohn11 said:
Wait a minute.
Mario and Luigi have to beat all the levels and get all the star coins? Like with the first Mario Galaxy?
I guess we're not spoilering the fact that Luigi is in the game anymore?

From what I understand you have to beat every level with both characters, but you only have to get the star coins with one of them. Or maybe it doesn't matter who you get them with so you can get some as Mario and some as Luigi, but I'm pretty sure you don't have to get all of them with both characters.

Mistle

Because I'm too lazy to read at this current moment (I did however read the very enjoyable Eurogamer review), can somebody link me to some of the video reviews that have been made so far?

I've hardly seen any of this game in action apart from the first few areas, so it'd be good to see some more of it alongside a review.

twentytwo22 said:
My own impressions after full-clearing the game (about 20 hours):

First ~6 worlds are WAY too easy. Originally put me off quite a bit. By about world 7, I realized I was having a lot of fun. When I realized how much content was actually in the game, I was pleasantly surprised and quite happy. The difficulty ramps up to where it needs to be for a bulk of the extra content. There are certain times where you will die due to the camera or the controls (nothing new for 3D games). The game feels strangely (not in a bad way, if that is even possible) like Sonic 3D Blast done right.

Mario moves really slowly even when running, but you get used to it after a while. But, there are times when you are trying to run-and-jump where Mario will do a standing jump (even holding the run button the entire time). I've had some seriously annoying control moments with this.

There are a LOT of things thrown in here for nostalgia's sake (I won't mention them, but there are more than you've heard, I'm sure), some of which were hits and some of which were misses to me. But, this will come down to personal experience.

I wasn't really dying for this game and bought it because I wanted SOMETHING for 3DS (and c'mon, it's Mario), but I'd give it a 9/10 for sure. It certainly fits right in with other Mario games.

EDIT: Also should add that I play with the 3D completely off; it annoys me and gives me a headache.
Is it weird that this is the single most exciting thing I've heard about this game since its reveal?

Also, 3D-headache brofist.

Jb

marc^o^ said:
The same Gamekult reviewer that gave PES 2012 Wii a 6/10 without trying playmaker controls (too difficult), found early stages of Mario Land too easy this time, and thus gave it its worst note so far, a 7/10.
Did you actually read the review? He said the entire first run of the game lacked any form of challenge. He also said the overall pacing of was off because of how short the levels were.

All in all, it's a comprehensive and well argumented review. But I guess it's easier to diss the reviewer rather than the review itself whenever you're not happy with the score, pas vrai?

CrisKre

just started world 4. Im in love.

Anyone thinking this game will be bland is WRONG. The first world is pretty basic but there is a lot of challenge to be had here. I love the fact that on top of more linear levels (and some serious platforming challenge mario old-school style, scrolling screen, mario galaxy style) there are a few mario 64 more open ended level designs in here.

Also I have to say I adore how the secret passages are presented here. Is more reminiscent of mario of old but has a 3d twist to it.

simply said, this is a title fully worthy of the super mario legacy. simply sublime. And i bet it can only get better from here.

I also have to say i loooove the pop out 3d option the most. The 3d is more subtle but imo everything looks A LOT more "solid" and TREMENDOUSLY helps the sweet spot. Also the pop out effect is super cool.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Jay-B said:
Did you actually read the review? He said the entire first run of the game lacked any form of challenge. He also said the overall pacing of was off because of how short the levels were.

All in all, it's a comprehensive and well argumented review. But I guess it's easier to diss the reviewer rather than the review itself whenever you're not happy with the score, pas vrai?
What you said is what I said, in fewer words.

Tom_Cody

I just read through the first half of the Iwata ask from this. My frothing excitement has increased.

Sunday can't come soon enough.

Argh! Target had this out and it was in my hand and right before the electronics guy rang me up another employee came up to the register and was like "That's not out yet. You can't sell that."

;_;

watershed

Banned
El Pescado said:
Argh! Target had this out and it was in my hand and right before the electronics guy rang me up another employee came up to the register and was like "That's not out yet. You can't sell that."

;_;
Oh man, that sucks. So close! Yet so far away :(

Is it weird that I'm just as excited for the update that comes with Mario 3D as I am for the games?
Some pretty substantial stuff.

AceBandage said:
Is it weird that I'm just as excited for the update that comes with Mario 3D as I am for the games?
Some pretty substantial stuff.

I'll be excited about the update when Mario Kart is out.

So yes, you're FUCKING ODD.

El Pescado said:

;_;

Don't worry, it wouldn't have rung up anyway.

Same thing happened to me today. I saw it out on the floor, had the guy ring it up, even though he saw the date come up, he tried to get a manager override but they couldn't do it :(

One more day guys! Feels like I've been waiting for such a long time to get this. I get to play this on Sunday while I watch NFL? Hell yes. Gonna be a blast.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Incitemaybe said:
So what update for the 3ds comes with this game?

It adds some sort of invite system to the friends list. It's a small part of the big firmware update that's coming at the end of the month, and no-one really knows how it works because it doesn't seem to be backwards-compatible.

I'm on the fence, guys. Could you help me out?

I don't have a 3DS, but I really want to play this game. There aren't that many other games that I want for it right now, so this would be my only game for a while. Do you think this game would be worth the 3DS purchase?

TheCongressman1 said:

I don't have a 3DS, but I really want to play this game. There aren't that many other games that I want for it right now, so this would be my only game for a while. Do you think this game would be worth the 3DS purchase?
I don't think any system is worth one game.

I'd wait until you decide there's more you want.

LOCK

TheCongressman1 said:

You could look for a deal over Black Friday.

But no games in Q1/Q2 next year are of interest to you?

watershed

Banned
TheCongressman1 said:

I agree no one game is worth the purchase of a system. But if you want mario kart or something later you can try to pick up a red 3ds with mario 3d land bundle at best buy on black friday for $170 I think. That's the best deal I know of.

I'm buying this Day One, but not playing it. It's going to be difficult, but I really want to save it for my Thanksgiving trip and the tedious cross-country flights.

artwalknoon said:
I agree no one game is worth the purchase of a system. But if you want mario kart or something later you can try to pick up a red 3ds with mario 3d land bundle at best buy on black friday for $170 I think. That's the best deal I know of.
Yeah, unless there's absolutely no other games you want for the system that have been announced, that's a pretty awesome deal. Even if there aren't any games you want, unless you plan on waiting a year or so if you don't get one now it's still an awesome deal what with the games coming out next year.

BowieZ

Banned
TheCongressman1 said:

Features of a 3DS excluding game purchases:

- Beautiful hardware colors (aqua, black, red, pink, white) and clean, appealing operating system
- immersive 3D gameplay and system features (innovative 3D slider)
- 3D photography, soon to be 3D video
- robust online store with cheap 3D Classics and exclusive virtual console content (some free), and trailers and soon demos as well
- novel AR games, FaceRaiders, Pokedex, NintendoVideo, and soon-to-be other features like streaming Hulu and sports games etc.
- fully featured activity log, Mii maker, Friends list, and soon-to-be online messaging; the system really comes alive with personality and becomes a part of you and your life

and last but not least:
- StreetPass features in many games, pedometer and pedocoins, and StreetPass quests (puzzles, hero adventures) are awesome!

It's a pretty good deal imho for all of that (including future potential) on top of the Mario game, and a no-brainer if you have the inclination to buy and play any other games (Zelda: OOT3D, Zelda 3DS, Mario Kart 7, Paper Mario 3DS, Luigi's Mansion 2, Resident Evil Revelations, etc etc)...

jesusraz

8/10 from Cubed3

Super Mario 3D Land excels in so many areas, picking up the traditional 2D side-scrolling feel of the classic NES and SNES platform outings, whilst sprinkling in a pleasing dose of the 3D charm that made Super Mario Galaxy 2 so special. Anyone that had been hoping for a more well-rounded challenge than New Super Mario Bros. Wii need look no further, whilst those with a penchant for large open spaces for Mario to roam around in will not be totally let down either. There are some almost debilitating issues with slow pace, a lower than expected camera and pop-up, but the raw content is so delightful that it proves difficult to hold a grudge for long.

@MUWANdo said:
It adds some sort of invite system to the friends list. It's a small part of the big firmware update that's coming at the end of the month, and no-one really knows how it works because it doesn't seem to be backwards-compatible.

It also shuffles all online friends to the front now, something that should have been done originally.
I can see why they are doing this in Mario instead of with the update later this month. Lots of people will buy it and know that the update is there for when MK7 is out.

Quixzlizx

I'm kind of worried about all of the people talking about how easy this game is. How is the difficulty compared to the SMW baseline?

Skilletor

I've found every Mario game easy, save maybe the Lost Levels.

Paid this off a couple days ago. Going to pick it up tomorrow morning before football :D. Pretty excited. I think this is the game that sells me on 3D.

LOCK said:
You could look for a deal over Black Friday.

But no games in Q1/Q2 next year are of interest to you?
There is always Kid Icarus in Jan and Re/tekken for feb. should be set until more games are released.

Mik2121

Sinthetic said:
Where's Mik gone? Blasted the game in 2 days and disappeared into the night. What a guy.
I'm here! :p Waiting for you guys to get the game and get through it so we can talk a bit about it after the first impressions. Also, I can imagine what most people will say:

- This game is too easy.
- The stages are cool but short! The game is so short!

Then after some hours of gameplay

- Oh ok, it's starting to get a bit more challenging
- There are quite a lot of stages, neat!

Then by the end

- What the fuck, this stage is so hard!
- This game is awesome :')

Top Bottom