• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

Roto13

Man God said:
If you have a 3DS then you have no excuse.

If you don't have one then you have two weeks until this and MK7 are out.
Mk7 is sounding kinda butt, though. Sounds closer to Mario Kart Wii than Mario Kart DS. :(

Whoa, hold up. If Yoshi's Island is considered a Mario game then I retract my former statements about 3D Land being my favorite Mario. I don't usually consider it one though, despite its name.

Seriously though, I want Yoshi's 3D Island next.

King_Moc

Banned
Just got this today and played through to world 6 in one sitting. Very fun, but so far very very easy. I've even got about 90% of the coins on the first run through of each level. Hopefully the remixed levels won't disappoint.

Whoa, hold up. If Yoshi's Island is considered a Mario game then I retract my former statements about 3D Land being my favorite Mario.

The sub heading 'Super Mario World 2' was the clue.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
EvilMario said:
I refuse to list Mario games, because I don't know if I can choose between things like Super Mario World, and Yoshi's Island, but I do take a lot of heat from thinking New Super Mario Bro Wii is in that same God tier.
In terms of level design definitely. But Mario's standstill momentum is juuuust infuriating enough that it makes me angry.

I made it through all of worlds 1 through 8, losing a total of 9 lives.

I have already died 15 times in the special worlds so far, and I'm on on S2-3.

King_Moc said:
The sub heading 'Super Mario World 2' was the clue.
"Despite its name" was the clue that I get that.

Yoshi's Island to me is a spinoff of the Mario series and it isn't the first one that used the Mario name as a launching point. See: Warioland series. When I think of ranking the Mario games I think of the main-line platformers in the series. Would you include Yoshi's Island DS or Mario Kart in your rankings?

Any more discussion and we're treading on this thread's territory:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=406101

[Nintex]

Boken said:
Sigh, you guys make me want this game.
It's mindblowing just how good EAD Tokyo is at making games really. Every time I'm thinking 'well they probably didn't think of...' 'holy shit son of a bitch this is genius'.

Busaiku

Hollywood Duo said:
I think having so many lives makes it seem a lot easier than it is. I've certainly died in this game way more than many of the other Mario games.
I don't qualify "hard" as getting a game over screen.
The fact that I can beat most levels in 1 or 2 tries (while getting a Gold Flag and all 3 Star Coins) makes it easy.

Though there definitely were some levels that made me lose a bunch of lives, it still wasn't anywhere as bad as the 3 Super Mario games on Wii.

Alchemy

This game is glorious. I don't care if it is super easy (I am only at world 3-3), its just so much damn fun. I got this on launch, but Skyrim has taken all my time so this has been relegated to my 'lunch time' game at work. I can usually squeeze in 15-20 minutes of this, but I really want more. Damn holiday release schedules.

NEO0MJ

Just beat the game. Great game, though a bit easy and short. Last boss was pretty fun, much better than Mario Galaxy.
Question:
So to unlock the final level what do I need to do?

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
NEO0MJ said:
Question:
So to unlock the final level what do I need to do?

Only read this once you have started the post-game content.

Beat every level (both regular and special worlds) with both Mario and Luigi. Get every Star Coin in every level. Hit the top of the flagpole in every level. There are icons that appear when selecting levels to help you keep track of everything.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
This game is utterly brilliant.

The presentation is slick, the visuals gorgeous and the running and jumping thrilling. I'm not too far in yet but this may be better than the Galaxy games... we shall see. I doubt it will usurp NSMB Wii or World but I shan't rush to judge it.

TheExodu5

Banned
I cannot, for the life of me, find the first star coin in S4-3.

edit: I think I caught a glimpse of it. That is some sadistic shit.

edit2: nope...I have no idea where it is. Halp.

edit3: found it. I swear I tried to go there before and it never worked. =\

NEO0MJ

MasterShotgun said:
Only read this once you have started the post-game content.

Beat every level (both regular and special worlds) with both Mario and Luigi. Get every Star Coin in every level. Hit the top of the flagpole in every level. There are icons that appear when selecting levels to help you keep track of everything.

...Fuck. This will take way too much time

Alchemy

This is also the first 3DS game I actually care about playing in full 3D all the time. In OoT I would randomly turn it on and off, but mostly kept it off because of the eye strain. For some reason this game doesn't feel as hard on the eyes and actually makes it more visually engaging.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Alchemy said:
This is also the first 3DS game I actually care about playing in full 3D all the time. In OoT I would randomly turn it on and off, but mostly kept it off because of the eye strain. For some reason this game doesn't feel as hard on the eyes and actually makes it more visually engaging.
I can't explain what magic they used with the top 3D view: it is really easy to get into indeed. The down 3D view is close to previous 3D games, which some people don't like.

Alchemy

marc^o^ said:
I can't explain what magic they used with the top 3D view: it is really easy to get into indeed. The down 3D view is close to previous 3D games, which some people don't like.

My brain doesn't even understand the difference, just that the top one is better. I don't even know how to describe the difference.

It's amazing when you've got coins floating in the air and you're in an area with a top down view. It's really as if they're coming out of the goddamn screen.

Mrbob

Alchemy said:
My brain doesn't even understand the difference, just that the top one is better. I don't even know how to describe the difference.

The bottom view is like you are looking at Mario through a window pane, and I don't like that view. Too many 3DS games use 3D like this. Top view keeps Mario at the forefront, and makes it feel like the world around him is in 3D.

dc89

i got a really good deal on the game today at Sainsburys.

Normal price = £34.99
When purchased with any other chart 3DS game it's reduced to £19.99

So I picked up Rayman which was in the chart for £17.49.

So I paid less than £3 more and got two games. Thrilled to its with that!

Grisby

Man, for being so simplistic in terms of level layout this game looks good. Love all the little particle effects that can happen.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Wow this game is the perfect blend of 2D and 3D Mario. It doesn't have the difficulty of the great 2D Marios or the Epic-ness of Super Mario Galaxy... but it still just might be my favorite Mario yet!

Skyrim is collecting dust because all I want to do is play this lol

Alchemy

Skiesofwonder said:
Wow this game is the perfect blend of 2D and 3D Mario. It doesn't have the difficulty of the great 2D Marios or the Epic-ness of Super Mario Galaxy... but it still just might be my favorite Mario yet!

Skyrim is collecting dust because all I want to do is play this lol

Apparently you're the negative version of me.

One of the main things I like about the top 3D mode is that the breaking of the 3D effect isn't nearly as noticeable as the 3D that most of the games use. Just try breaking the 3D effect on both modes and you'll be able to clearly tell which mode the 3d is in. And I really like the pop out effect more anyways.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Apparently you're the negative version of me.

HA, well I wish I could play Skyrim during my lunch break. :/

As for the final boss battle (if you most of you guys have been speaking of the World Eight Bowser) is indeed epic but nothing will ever touch the awesomeness of NSMBWii's final Bowser battle.

SHarris78

This was on my 'to get' list if for no other reason than i'd like a new, decent game for my 3DS, but all the videos i saw of it in action made me think it was going to be very run of the mill and, dare i say a bit boring.

I'm glad to report that me preconceptions were garbage. Its fantastic, soo much fun. Just don't ask me why, because i honestly don't know, its just so much fun to play.

Skyrim and SR3 will have to go on the shelf for a wee bit methinks!

My FUCK YEAH moment of the game, takes place in the second half:

While playing as Tanuki Luigi in Level S3-2 (the one with the rotating blocks), I screwed up a jump and Luigi was falling to his doom. Just before he fell enough to die, he managed to latch onto a wall. I proceeded to spend the next minute just wall jumping myself up to the top and (since you can't actually perform a wall jump that will allow you to get on top of the wall in this game) then made a leap of faith to the next rotating block, which wasn't angled enough to actually land on it. I wall jumped it anyway and managed to get back on the level. Felt like such a badass even though I had literally 1110 lives at that point.

Boken

Banned
If you have a 3DS then you have no excuse.

If you don't have one then you have two weeks until this and MK7 are out.

Well I'm quite poor, so it fought against zelda and mk7. (and lost!)

And I suck at platformers. I don't think I've finished a single Mario game. : (

Sorry guys but I am not enjoying this game as much as everyone is. I am at world 5 and it isn't that exciting or fun to play. The level design is several notchesabove New Super Mario Bros DS. However the DS game had at least fun power ups that made playing a lot more fun to speed run with. The new power ups feel dull in comparison and don't give you the same opportunities to do crazy things. I think the reviews of this game were a bit too kind.
If your someone who wasn't so convinced on the New Super Mario Bros games, you would not miss out by avoiding this game. I hope that I can enjoy the game more than im doing now on later worlds. Despite those negatives, the game has an amazing presentation and great visuals that are very pleasing to look at. I don't find the 3d effect that important, but they give a much neater presentation than other 3ds games. It is not a bad game, but it is underwhelming for a Mario game in my opinion.

Punisher

Neo Member
Irritating experience today:

I was playing the crown level with Luigi, didn't clear it with him yet. Playing it as regular Luigi (no powerups, just big Luigi) and manage to get to the end of the level and then I miss the jump to the warpbox >< Almost smacked the old man sitting next to me in the train.

Got 335 starcoins btw, are these endless? I sometimes find new ones when boxes respawn and with streetpass.

If you have a 3DS and don't have this game then I'm not sure what else is coming out that could possibly entice you. Mario 3D is legit. It started out a little strange for because of the analog nub (it just felt very weird at first) but now having beat the first half I'm really loving the experience. The levels have gotten a bit harder but not too much so that it's cheap.

Peru

I guess a good test of how enjoyable a platformer is is how you feel playing it through again. How many times did you beat the big bob-omb in mario 64, despite how easy he was? And after beating the amazing bowser boss battle to save peach (the last pure platforming bit was bliss), I went back to level 1-1 and my first thought was "man, I love this game's universe". So much fun just messing around.

Mzo

Fun game.

Something is weird with the jumping. You can't begin to accelerate in the air when you hold down the Y button, but that's not it. Jumping on enemies' heads is a little weird too. Something.

Also, wtf at having to hold the Y button for 90% of the game. I should be able to walk or run with the analog stick. It's annoying to hold Y and then R and finally B to jump.

I'm glad Nintendo knows how to correctly map the Y and B buttons for a Mario game, though. I wish they would remember that when it's time to play an NES game on the 3DS and you have to use A and B.

Peru

Shout out to level 1-3. It's not particularly challenging, but seeing the whole path in front of you as a downwards slope, the goal far away under you, it's a wonderful feeling. And then you can proceed to glide your way down with a tanooki soot like any old base jumper.

Peru

I think all Mario games should follow this structure from now on. Playing through the first 8 worlds was consistently fun, even on easy levels, because the design is creative, the tools available fun to use, the architecture enjoyable to sightsee, and most importantly it's still about the platforming, so you get into that flow - you bring the fun, breezy aspect of the game to the front through a campaign like this. Then you get the 2nd part, where tight margins, adrenaline and challenge are attractions. You basically get the best of both worlds, and a really meaty game to boot.

Top Bottom