• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

Busaiku

So I completed all the game has to offer, and it was fun.
Overall, it was a great experience, but again, after the 3 Super Mario games on Wii, kind of disappointing.

It was really easy overall, but the levels themselves were fantastic.

Not a fan of how short it was though.
Doing everything with both Mario and Luigi took less than 22 hours, which is about the time it took me just to get the initial 120 coins in both Super Mario Galaxy games.

Half way through World 8 on first run.

With the Bowser boss fights, the idea is just to evade attacks and run past, right? Sounds crazy I know, but it feels like I am doing it wrong :D

Tyeforce

Anyone else notice that Luigi gets a fox suit instead of a tanooki? Very cool touch!
Yes, I loved that so much when I found out! Kitsune Luigi FTW! I love it when Nintendo makes references to Japanese folklore. Luigi becoming a kitsune from the Tanooki Leaf (or would that be Keetsoonay Leaf? lol) makes perfect sense, too, because both tanuki and kitsune are associated with shapeshifting powers granted by leaves. (This is also why the items in Animal Crossing are transformed leaves, and to tie into that Tom Nook and Crazy Redd are a tanuki and a kitsune, respectively.)

I am enthralled with the 3D effect. It looks good throughout and really amazing in some areas. I'm looking forward to getting to the more challenging half of the game.

I've made it to the castle on world 5.
I'm still a few stars short.

I'm liking the game a lot so far. It is easy, especially the bosses, although a few levels granted me the special white Tanooki suit because I died too much.

Dany

Banned
This was just released on macs but I can't get fullscrean or resolution settings at all.

What I played I liked, but I'm going to need a gamepad, does the 360 controller work with macs?

Doomboy

Neo Member
This was just released on macs but I can't get fullscrean or resolution settings at all.

What I played I liked, but I'm going to need a gamepad, does the 360 controller work with macs?

Super Meat Land 3D

EDIT: Seriously though, I'm pretty hyped about this game now. All the reviews make it out to be pretty great and it doesn't seem like I would need to worry about longevity... I just need to get around to buying it.

I love the 3d effect on the top down bits.

Enjoying the game a lot, up to world 5 after an evenings play. Only thing bothering me is it seems to be tougher than usual to pull off running jumps. I'll often be holding run and leap off of something just to do a pathetic little jump to my doom. Guess I'm just too used to how running jumps worked in other mario games. Seems like you need more momentum here.

I love the 3d effect on the top down bits.

Enjoying the game a lot, up to world 5 after an evenings play. Only thing bothering me is it seems to be tougher than usual to pull off running jumps. I'll often be holding run and leap off of something just to do a pathetic little jump to my doom. Guess I'm just too used to how running jumps worked in other mario games. Seems like you need more momentum here.

Yeah that's the one major complaint is this. It happens to me quite often at times. Especially when I'm only given a tiny amount of room to run before I have to make the jump.

jarosh

i... i think i like this better than galaxy *gasp*

it's probably my love for 2d over 3d mario. this is just so... distilled. without any of the filler and bloat of the galaxy games, like the motion control mini games or the bird levels or the story and the many characters with something to say and all the interruptions and tedious ui mechanics etc.

Anth0ny

awwwwwwwwwww

this is one of those games that requires you to collect coins to finish the game the first time around. I wish they told me this earlier... now I can't enter the castle in world 5 without going through all the stages again and collecting coins =/

Should I just start collecting every giant coin from now on? I'm assuming the final stage requires 100 coins or some shit.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm

it's probably my love for 2d over 3d mario. this is just so... distilled. without any of the filler and bloat of the galaxy games, like the motion control mini games or the bird levels or the story and the many characters with something to say and all the interruptions and tedious ui mechanics etc.
Same for me, this is pure gameplay and the game is better for it.

I picture kids getting Mario Land for Christmas with a 3DS and Mario Kart. Best Christmas ever.

jarosh

awwwwwwwwwww

this is one of those games that requires you to collect coins to finish the game the first time around. I wish they told me this earlier... now I can't enter the castle in world 5 without going through all the stages again and collecting coins =/

Should I just start collecting every giant coin from now on? I'm assuming the final stage requires 100 coins or some shit.
you're missing out on a LOT of content if you don't collect the big coins. more so than in any other mario game before. not gonna spoil anything, but yeah. besides, finding and collecting them is half the fun :p

mrklaw

MrArseFace
you're missing out on a LOT of content if you don't collect the big coins. more so than in any other mario game before. not gonna spoil anything, but yeah. besides, finding and collecting them is half the fun :p

any reason to try and max out the little coins, or is that just for extra lives?

Doorman

storafötter;32804003 said:
Sorry guys but I am not enjoying this game as much as everyone is. I am at world 5 and it isn't that exciting or fun to play. The level design is several notchesabove New Super Mario Bros DS. However the DS game had at least fun power ups that made playing a lot more fun to speed run with. The new power ups feel dull in comparison and don't give you the same opportunities to do crazy things. I think the reviews of this game were a bit too kind.
If your someone who wasn't so convinced on the New Super Mario Bros games, you would not miss out by avoiding this game. I hope that I can enjoy the game more than im doing now on later worlds. Despite those negatives, the game has an amazing presentation and great visuals that are very pleasing to look at. I don't find the 3d effect that important, but they give a much neater presentation than other 3ds games. It is not a bad game, but it is underwhelming for a Mario game in my opinion.

I felt the same way as you, and at around the same point in the game too. Now that I've made it through the first eight worlds and am moving through the postgame content, the game is growing on me more and more. The bump up in challenge has helped me out a lot in appreciating what these levels have to offer, I think. I still don't think it's as high as the Galaxy games on my personal Mario hierarchy, but I'm willing to give it more time. Even if I don't wind up as hyped as some of the folks here are, it's still a solid platforming experience through and through and it's got that great "just one more level" quality about it that makes it really hard to get other things done.

Yeah that's the one major complaint is this. It happens to me quite often at times. Especially when I'm only given a tiny amount of room to run before I have to make the jump.

Well, it's a relief to hear it's not just me.

Also have to say that having an in game switch for the 2 types of 3d effect is great. If I get to an area where the effect is breaking or I'm seeing ghosting hitting the d-pad to switch to the other setting usually fixes it instantly.

Just about to start World 6. Game just gets better and better. You best believe I'm going to go back and try to get every coin in the game, too. The whole three golden coin design has been an amazing addition to the series. Just makes for meaningful replay, since they are put in deliberately interesting or sneaky areas.

Ugh, died 5 times on
the Bowser fight in the second World 8 castle
and had the golden leaf block thingie show up. So much for my perfect save file :/

I got 5 stars last night and now I'm just trying to beat the extra S level.

Here's how I got my stars

1 for beating every normal level
1 for beating Bowser in the normal levels
1 for beating all the special levels
1 for getting all the star coins
1 for beating every level with both Mario and Luigi and getting gold on all the flag poles with either one.

- You unlock the L and M icons on each stage in the map (right by the little gold flag) after beating every level (including special levels) with either one, and then beating Bowser with Luigi in the normal world again. You'll know you're doing it right if Bowser is throwing giant light purple fireballs at you during the last part.

jarosh

Ugh, died 5 times on
the Bowser fight in the second World 8 castle
and had the golden leaf block thingie show up. So much for my perfect save file :/
turn off the system/quit out of the game without saving. happened to me twice and that's what i did. problem solved.

KarmaCow

Really? I found 95% of the coins without even trying. Most of the coins are right in your field of view, rarely requiring more than a simple wall jump, if that. There are more than a few that are right in your path as well.

for the flagpole requirement, do I need to raise the flag for both Mario and Luigi?

between them I have all the flags raised. there doesn't seem to be an icon showing if it's an M or L golden flag.

Loonz

My own thoughts, just here. Not a single piece of bloat to be seen, nothing between you and the pure enjoyment. This game could be the prime example of how, sometimes, less is more.

As of now I've seen just world 1 and 2, and in my opinion this Mario 3D has perfect length for the stages (this is subjective of course, but sometimes I felt that stages in Galaxy were too large), perfect pacing, perfect controls, perfect balance between 2D action and 3D scale, the power ups are awesome to use (never felt so powerful with the flower before). The use of 3D depth is astounding, Nintendo are being masters here.

It's pretty awesome how the developers have mixed 2d and 3d mechanics in this game. This is the style of Mario (apart from pure 2d) that now, in this point of my life, I think I could enjoy more than anything else. The homages to SMB3 are everywhere and I fucking love them.

Absolutely lovely game. I'm trying to think of any complaints, but... well, it seems rather short, just that. Short but really sweet.

jarosh

My own thoughts, just here. Not a single piece of bloat to be seen, nothing between you and the pure enjoyment. This game could be the prime example of how, sometimes, less is more.

As of now I've seen just world 1 and 2, and in my opinion this Mario 3D has perfect length for the stages (this is subjective of course, but sometimes I felt that stages in Galaxy were too large), perfect pacing, perfect controls, perfect balance between 2D action and 3D scale, the power ups are awesome to use (never felt so powerful with the flower before). The use of 3D depth is astounding, Nintendo are being masters here.

It's pretty awesome how the developers have mixed 2d and 3d mechanics in this game. This is the style of Mario (apart from pure 2d) that now, in this point of my life, I think I could enjoy more than anything else. The homages to SMB3 are everywhere and I fucking love them.

Absolutely lovely game. I'm trying to think of any complaints, but... well, it seems rather short, just that. Short but really sweet.
yeah, that sounds about right ;)... that said, the game is considerably longer than you think, trust me on that one. i hope you're collecting most/all of the big coins!

Kard8p3

This might not be the place for it but knowing your impressions of this and Skyward Sword do you think the next Zelda should take the approach of this game? Having a Zelda that cuts out the filler and just gives you pure Zelda gameplay experience could be good for the series.

Loonz

yeah, that sounds about right ;)... that said, the game is considerably longer than you think, trust me on that one. i hope you're collecting most/all of the big coins!

Heh, of course. I'm thinking now that is incredible that, after all this years, Nintendo is able to keep polishing the Mario formula. They somehow find a way to make it feel fresh and enjoyable. Not that I complain at all :p.

jarosh

This might not be the place for it but knowing your impressions of this and Skyward Sword do you think the next Zelda should take the approach of this game? Having a Zelda that cuts out the filler and just gives you pure Zelda gameplay experience could be good for the series.
i have been asking for this for years! a kind of "new legend of zelda" that cuts to the chase right away and has a minimalist story but tons of great dungeons and puzzles. i'd love that. absolutely MINIMAL setup and tutorial (kinda like lttp). outside of the gameplay and dungeons, the key to zelda's world and to what makes it so memorable and unique has always been setting and mood, NOT plot (just like with metroid). so i don't think stripping out big chunks of story has to necessarily hurt a (modern) zelda game.

Kard8p3

i have been asking for this for years! a kind of "new legend of zelda" that cuts to the chase right away and has a minimalist story but tons of great dungeons and puzzles. i'd love that. absolutely MINIMAL setup and tutorial (kinda like lttp). outside of the gameplay and dungeons, the key to zelda's world and to what makes it so memorable and unique has always been setting and mood, NOT plot (just like with metroid). so i don't think stripping out big chunks of story has to necessarily hurt a (modern) zelda game.

I love the 3D Zelda games but I really think this needs to happen. The thing is I think the next original 3DS Zelda could be something like this. Miyamoto mentioned looking back at games like alttp for some inspiration for a future Zelda game. After seeing what they did with Mario on the 3DS I really think this could happen.

duxstar

After special world 4 on my first playthrough I started to self limit myself by A) getting all 3 coins in the same run, and B) Not using a Tanooki suit at all (except 1 or 2 coins that you HAVE to use it)... Lets just say some levels alone took 30+ lives especially the bowser castlel evels. On my "perfect run" aka 5 shiny stars I'm going to just run through each level, then go back through to get any coins I missed AND still use the tanooki suit lol it Just makes the game so much easier, it really is a fun challenge to just get all 3 coins without the tanooki suit in the later levels (that you can)

duxstar

After beating every level except the final one, I just realized thanks to this thread that there are 2 3d modes and you can change them with the D pad.... holy fuck the second one provides so much more depth that would've been helpful lol

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Does this game ever get interesting?

I'm finding it really boring so far. Super easy, and the levels are just so short. I want to start as small Mario, have three times the enemies and levels the size of SM64.

Peru

Short levels are a blessing in every way.

Although it's not like they're super short or one-note - there's quite a lot of architecture and geometry packed in there.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
It both feels like a reinvention of the series and... a mix of all previous games.
The work on camera views is truly genius, there is no other word.

zigg

Hell, I was thinking some of the levels are too long.

3-1 is a huge sinner. I actually hated replaying it as Luigi, and that was when I knew how to get through it quick.

Sinthetic

People who have finished the game, do you agree with me that this is definitely not EASY?

EDIT: Where have the avatars disappeared to? This is making it difficult to know who is who.

zigg

People who have finished the game, do you agree with me that this is definitely not EASY?

Definitely. One of the later S8 levels, once I finished it, had me wincing from thumb pain ;-)

The majority of the game is a really smooth progression in terms of difficulty, too.

EDIT: Where have the avatars disappeared to? This is making it difficult to know who is who.

WE'RE ALL BLIND! I know who you are though. :-D

Chorazin said:
Holy fuck did S7-2 suck, I hate that little purple bastard!

Was he actually little in that one? I still remember when he showed up huge for the first time. I was like "WHAT" and then I found out what he was good for...

watershed

Banned
It both feels like a reinvention of the series and... a mix of all previous games.
The work on camera views is truly genius, there is no other word.

Definitely the best camera work in any 3d mario to date, I never had any camera in the wrong position stuff.

Zebra

Definitely the best camera work in any 3d mario to date, I never had any camera in the wrong position stuff.

For doing everything the game wants me to do, the camera is perfect. But when I'm looking for a star coin that I'm struggling with, I'm always worrying about what the camera isn't showing me because I can't change it myself. The D-Pad camera movements are so minuscule that I've never even bothered to use them.

But at the end of the day, the camera has never lead me astray in terms of finding the coins so it's a non-issue, but not being in much control of the camera frustrates some small part of me deep down.

Definitely. One of the later S8 levels, once I finished it, had me wincing from thumb pain ;-)

Same. My thumb has not appreciated some of the difficult levels.

There was a
shadow mario
level in S7 or S8 that I must have wasted 20 lives on. When I caught the flag pole I literally yelled out.

And it was not a "Yay!" yell, but a "FOR FUCK'S SAKE FINALLY" yell.

Finished the game yesterday. Thought this game wouldn't wouldn't be as good as all the other Mario games because of what a few Gaffers said based on playing the demo, but the game turned out to be amazing. If only the game was longer, but
I'm happy they decided to do those special levels after the normal game.

Chorazin

I just lost 32 lives on S7-4, and had to continue. Anyone who says this game is easy is a fucking liar.

EDIT: I've died 453 times so far.

Loonz

Wrong thread. Agree with the super positive sentiment on the game, though!

To be fair, it's just that this game is really really handsomely awesome. It makes me wish I was a child... oh my if this was my very first Mario. From the cover (homage to the old NES Marios) to the game itself. Some people won't enjoy it for whatever reason, but man I'm in heaven.

Now, if this thread was about the new Zelda, then I wouldn't be that positive.

Top Bottom