• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

jump_button said:
why has it taking this long to get a new 3D Mario game for a handhold?

Because the DS' controls were woefully unsuited to 3D Mario gameplay? (and the fact that we got 2 console ones in the intern!)

We've gotten far more mainline Mario in recent years than ever before, in fact it may even be a bit too much. The mainline series is practically an annualised franchise now (We've had a brand new Mario game for every single year since 2006, with the sole exception of 2008)

TheExodu5 said:
Never knew about the activity log. :eek:

Looks like I have 5 hours into the game so far. In that case, I'd say the main game must have taken me 3-3.5 hours.

Yeah seems like it's mostly a personal preference thing.

Wow, I forgot all about the activity log. I'm really surprised how many hours I've put into the 3DS games I have. I've played SM3DL for 18 hours 13 minutes so far, in a total of 10 times played. This game has been amazing, one of my top 3 Mario games, but I think I'll be finished with it today. I'm thinking of trading it in, along with my other 3DS games, to get either Rayman or Skyrim. Not sure if I'm going to yet though...

Chopper

Three-starred the first two worlds and gone on to complete the next two, but the hiding places get better around World 3!

How are you supposed to tell whether or not you have gold-flagged a level though?

Edit: Loving it. It's beautiful. An awesome showcase for the 3D capabilities of the system.

Sinthetic

Flying through the second batch, it's not too difficult is it really? 9.45 hours done and I'm on World
S
7. That's with all gold flags and all the Star Coins both times round. Still, it's perfect for what I'm after.

I've been swearing like a mad man at some parts hahaha.

@Chopper, little gold flag in the bottom right corner.

Varjet

So, I played this for a bit and noticed that there's no triple jump and that you have to charge to do a backflip. In other words, this game sucks.

Gamecocks625 said:
I'm sure there's still a "new car smell" to Mario 3D Land, but where would you guys put this one in the Mario rankings?

1. Super Mario World
2. Super Mario 64
3. Super Mario 3
4. Super Mario 3D Land/Galaxy

I can't decide which one I like more between Galaxy and this game.

Boogiepop

Gamecocks625 said:
I'm sure there's still a "new car smell" to Mario 3D Land, but where would you guys put this one in the Mario rankings?
I'd put it below Galaxy 2, but above everything else but maybe NSMBWii.

Prinny

Gamecocks625 said:
1. Galaxy 1/2
2. Mario 64
3. Yoshi's Island
4. Mario World
5. Mario Bros 3
6. Mario 3D Land
7. NSMBWii (Multiplayer)
8. Mario Sunshine
9. NSMBWii (Single Player)
10. NSMB DS
11. Mario Bros 1
12. Mario Bros 2 (Lost Levels)
13. Mario Bros 2 USA

(I have only done around 60% of 3d Land)

LosDaddie

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
I'm in the minority, but I'm pretty underwhelmed. The first 4 worlds were easy, conservative, and unimaginitive, in my mind. The levels have gotten progressively better since the start of the 5th world, though.

The game is definitely worth getting, but I wouldn't put it on the same level as something like NSMB Wii.

marc^o^ said:
NSMB Wii bored me after 2 hours. To me this Mario Land is better by several levels of magnitude!

Thanks for the input.

I'm pretty sure I'll love the game.

How's the 3D?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Finally beat the game, including the final level with both characters.

Second most played game on the 3DS for me at 18 hours even, behind Ocarina (27 hours) and just head of StarFox (17).

Great game. Levels are short, but later on they're challenging enough to be very rewarding (especially if you don't abuse Tanooki). I'm very happy with the title.

TheExodu5

Banned
1. Super Mario World
2. Yoshi's Island
3. NSMB Wii
4. Galaxy 1/2
5. Mario 64
6. Mario 3D Land
7. Mario 3
8. NSMB DS
9. Mario 2
10. Mario 1

I'd say that's approximately my current ranking of the series. 3D Land could overtake 64 if the quality remains high for the rest of the S Worlds. Could even overtake Galaxy 1/2. If there wasn't as much fluff (most of the first 8 worlds), I'd likely rank it higher.

This game completely owns the NSMB I think. I was pretty disappointed in those games, and while the games aren't the the same type, SM3DL is just more enjoying than the NSMB games. I've found myself surprised at how satisfying the music is. My personal favorites are the Desert and Snow themes, and I really like the main theme too. Overall, this game is just flat out fun. I haven't liked a Mario game this much since Galaxy. I recommend everyone who's a fan of Mario games to purchase it.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I will say, one reason the initial run seems so easy compared to say, Galaxy, is that in Galaxy you have the option of immediately replaying a given level to go for the next goal in is own remixed version - which are usually progressively harder.

Since you have to beat the game
to access the Special worlds
3D Land feels easier and more breezy. At first. It's as if Galaxy made you play all the way through the first star only to the initial final Bowser battle, before opening up the rest of the game.

I'm not really criticizing 3D Land for that. It's just different.

Still, I beat world 8 this morning and am very happy to see
how remixed the Special stages are. Most of them may not be monumentally difficult but they're a stimulating challenge. This game is really very long when you add it all up.

In fact, I think I have only one major criticism - they should have used the Koopalings like NSMB. A mid-boss tower in the middle of each world with a teaser fight, then the real battle at the end - and used ALL the Koopalings, not just two who appear several times. That part, is a bit of a letdown. Especially since the Galaxy games have such involved and epic boss battles.

Still, that's my singular beef with the game. Everything else is flawless and polished to a mirror finish for what this game is supposed to be.

Gamecocks625 said:
It's very hard for me personally speaking because I love and enjoy almost all Mario games. Compared to most of GAF I really enjoyed Sunshine even though there were some obvious flaws and it was likely rushed like WW was.

1. Super Mario World
2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
3. Super Mario 3D Land=Super Mario 64
4. Super Mario Bros. 3
5. Super Mario Galaxy
6. New Super Mario Bros. Wii
7. Super Mario Sunshine
8. Super Mario Bros. 2
9. NSMB
10. SMB

That would be my ranking so far but I'm still fairly conflicted. I think as someone else said that if you loved Super Mario World you would love SM3DL. It has the bit sized, compacted and non-filler fun that SMB3 had, it has that sort of playground feel that SM64 had and it has tons of nooks and crannies to explore and search for that SMW had. Keep in mind that I never had Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Bros. 3 on quite the same pedestal that most Mario fans/GAF have,

Anth0ny

Not gonna list 3D Land yet.

1. Mario 64
2. Galaxy 1/2
3. Super Mario World (god damn it's so close between this and Galaxies)
4. Yoshi's Island
5. Sunshine
6. Super Mario Bros 3
7. New Super Mario Bros Wii
8. New Super Mario Bros
9. Super Mario Bros
10. Super Mario Bros USA
11. Super Mario Bros 2 (hard as shit, but not all that fun)

Kaijima said:
In fact, I think I have only one major criticism - they should have used the Koopalings like NSMB. A mid-boss tower in the middle of each world with a teaser fight, then the real battle at the end - and used ALL the Koopalings, not just two who appear several times. That part, is a bit of a letdown. Especially since the Galaxy games have such involved and epic boss battles.

Koopalings:

ac2TG.jpg

Not Koopalings:

GvxJZ.jpg

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I refuse to list Mario games, because I don't know if I can choose between things like Super Mario World, and Yoshi's Island, but I do take a lot of heat from thinking New Super Mario Bro Wii is in that same God tier.

muu

jump_button said:
why has it taking this long to get a new 3D Mario game for a handhold?

Don't forget that Japan only recently experienced one of the most catastrophic quakes in history. Shit gets put in the back-burner when something like that happens, and the mandatory rolling blackouts in Tokyo likely didn't help.

Roto13

I got a couple of streetpasses today. Opened up a few mystery boxes and respawned a few toad houses. Pretty neat. :p
muu said:
Don't forget that Japan only recently experienced one of the most catastrophic quakes in history. Shit gets put in the back-burner when something like that happens, and the mandatory rolling blackouts in Tokyo likely didn't help.
That happened this year. We've had handhelds capable of playing 3D Mario games since 2004.

The real reason is the DS sucked at 3D Mario by not having an analog stick.

Yuterald

Just got my 4 Shiny Stars with all
S
Worlds completed, all Star Coins, Gold Flags, etc. All I have left to do is complete every stage with the secret character. This game has been IMPOSSIBLE to put down. It's the ultimate, "just one more level" game. I really, really enjoyed it. Tokyo EAD/core Nintendo always hits the right spots for me, such a pleasant experience.

I thought the game was A LOT easier than Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, as well as New Super Mario Bros. Wii. The end game levels in NSMB Wii were much, much more difficult, even with the proper power ups. I guess it's just the nature of the game being portable and the stages being played out on a smaller scale. The second half of the game, towards the last two worlds, were MAYBE hard. I died quite a bit on a few stages, but nothing special world hard like LV6 or 9 or whatever the fuck it was in NSMB Wii or the master galaxy test in Galaxy 2.

The tanooki suit really does break a lot of the stages. There should have been a no-powerup star or icon that is displayed on your worldmap if you completed a stage without resorting to powerups. Sure, you can avoid them to make it artificially harder, but it would have been cool if there was some incentive to ignore it completely other than personal satisfaction. The suit is just too good and fun to use to tell yourself that it feels like cheating, lol!

Anyway, awesome game, great Mario title, and a nice distraction until Skyward Sword. Back to Starfox 3DS Gold Medals in Score Attack, I guess.

Busaiku

I'm still making my through the Special World with Luigi, but I'd say...

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
2. New Super Mario Bros Wii
3. Super Mario Galaxy
4. Super Mario World
5/6. Super Mario 3D Land
5/6. Super Mario Bros 3
7. Super Mario 64
8. New Super Mario Bros
9. Super Mario Bros 2
10. Super Mario Sunshine
11. Super Mario Bros The Lost Levels
12. Super Mario Bros

I'll probably make a run through Super Mario World and Super Mario Bros 3 soon just to make sure.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yuterald said:
Just got my 4 Shiny Stars with all
S
Worlds completed, all Star Coins, Gold Flags, etc. All I have left to do is complete every stage with the secret character. This game has been IMPOSSIBLE to put down. It's the ultimate, "just one more level" game. I really, really enjoyed it. Tokyo EAD/core Nintendo always hits the right spots for me, such a pleasant experience.

I thought the game was A LOT easier than Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, as well as New Super Mario Bros. Wii. The end game levels in NSMB Wii were much, much more difficult, even with the proper power ups. I guess it's just the nature of the game being portable and the stages being played out on a smaller scale. The second half of the game, towards the last two worlds, were MAYBE hard. I died quite a bit on a few stages, but nothing special world hard like LV6 or 9 or whatever the fuck it was in NSMB Wii or the master galaxy test in Galaxy 2.

The tanooki suit really does break a lot of the stages. There should have been a no-powerup star or icon that is displayed on your worldmap if you completed a stage without resorting to powerups. Sure, you can avoid them to make it artificially harder, but it would have been cool if there was some incentive to ignore it completely other than personal satisfaction. The suit is just too good and fun to use to tell yourself that it feels like cheating, lol!

Anyway, awesome game, great Mario title, and a nice distraction until Skyward Sword. Back to Starfox 3DS Gold Medals in Score Attack, I guess.

So you're calling the game easy before playing the only really hard level in it...

Yuterald

Man God said:
So you're calling the game easy before playing the only really hard level in it...

What, is there some super hidden level after getting 5 Stars? That's pretty cool if that is the case, but come on, the game as a whole isn't difficult. I don't mean that in a bad way either, I just don't think it was as challenging as the other recent Mario titles.

Yuterald said:
What, is there some super hidden level after getting 5 Stars? That's pretty cool if that is the case, but come on, the game as a whole isn't difficult. I don't mean that in a bad way either, I just don't think it was as challenging as the other recent Mario titles.
I think having so many lives makes it seem a lot easier than it is. I've certainly died in this game way more than many of the other Mario games.

Ashodin

how the fuck is this game so good that it makes me play it in between other epics like Skyrim and a session of MineCraft? fuckin' mario!

Hollywood Duo said:
I think having so many lives makes it seem a lot easier than it is. I've certainly died in this game way more than many of the other Mario games.
If you press the icon to the left of your file, it will tell you the number of lives lost. I'm at 238 :/

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Like the hat? said:
So any info on whether or not dying in the s worlds causes you to lose your save screen sparkles on your stars? Because s worlds are killing me :(

Unless it has changed from NSMB Wii the block of shame does NOT show up in special world.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Stuneseht said:
Who is the Superior brother?

Luigi. His 'slickness' is actually a benefit in this game, because I find Mario needs a bit more space to gain good momentum. And the fact that he jumps so high makes it easier to speed run and catch flap pole tips.

zigg

Like the hat? said:
So any info on whether or not dying in the s worlds causes you to lose your save screen sparkles on your stars? Because s worlds are killing me :(

I've had a few rather challenging runs and still have my sparklies.

The helper items definitely do not appear.

Stuneseht

EvilMario said:
Luigi. His 'slickness' is actually a benefit in this game, because I find Mario needs a bit more space to gain good momentum. And the fact that he jumps so high makes it easier to speed run and catch flap pole tips.
I agree. I've been flying through these stages with him. Though his "slickness" does cause him to be a pain sometimes... you have to be dedicated to your landings from jumps; any slight adjustment has you slipping to your death lol.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Played the first few levels today. I really like it, it feels great to play and there are lots of new ideas that make it distinct from the Galaxy games. It isn't that challenging but I don't think Nintendo could come up with a real challenge for a seasoned Mario player, even with their Super Guide features, without making it awkward for a casual player. I cruised through the Galaxy games and I expect this to be the same. For me the 3D Marios have always had a more relaxing air than the 2D games and it suits 3D Land just fine.

Chorazin

Hollywood Duo said:

I gotta agree. I died about 20 times on S3-5, and I still had 80 lives to spare.

As an aside, it's really nice that they don't offer you the Blocks of Shame in the S Worlds.

Top Bottom