• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Done everything, even the
S8-Crown level with both Mario and Luigi

After that, I closed the 3DS and applauded. This game deserved it. And now, let's do this again, and again, and again... just like Crash 2. :D

loosus

Banned
Eh, NSMB might be better to you, but I think that game sucks compared to SM3DL. Personally I never had fun with NSMB, but I've already 100% SM3DL one time and have already started a new save file. NSMB is my least liked Mario game.

SM3DL is a fucking blast; probably one of the top games in the series. I must say though, I came in expecting a product not nearly as good as Galaxy but the game came out to be maybe even better than Galaxy after full completion.
Oh, 3D Land is much, much better than the Galaxy games. Admittedly, that is not saying much, but every bit of 3D Land is a million times more replayable than even the best levels from the Galaxy games.

So, yeah, NSMB.. A divisive game, eh? I guess I should try and track down a second-hand copy and play it before SM3DL.
Only on GAF and nerdy game reviews. The mass market has essentially spoken with its dollars rather than its mouth and given the game the highest recommendation of all.

Mpl90

Oh, 3D Land is much, much better than the Galaxy games. Admittedly, that is not saying much, but every bit of 3D Land is a million times more replayable than even the best levels from the Galaxy games.

Only on GAF and nerdy game reviews. The mass market has essentially spoken with its dollars rather than its mouth and given the game the highest recommendation of all.

...So, for you, NSMB much better than 3D Land,... which is much better than Galaxy games?

Loonz

I'm sorry, but I can't agree with loosus. 3D Land is mind-blowingly good, it's absolutely superb in almost everything (graphics, bso, gameplay design and whatnot). It's, probably, the most enjoyable 3D-gameplay Super Mario to date IMO, it's THAT good.

As for NSMB Wii, again IMO is simply superb as well. Extremely enjoyable, especially if you play with another competent gamer (I completed it playing with my brother, and had more fun than playing the rest of my PS3 library, THAT good it is). It's probably, nostalgic goggles aside, the best 2D-gameplay Super Mario to date.

NSMB DS is a damn fine game as well. But again IMO is not at the same level of those other 2. Not even close. I played it to completion once. NSMB Wii 2 or 3 times (I will never get tired of it) and 3D Land... I will be playing it in years to come, if only because of how beautiful is to look at.

Done everything, even the
S8-Crown level with both Mario and Luigi

After that, I closed the 3DS and applauded. This game deserved it. And now, let's do this again, and again, and again... just like Crash 2. :D

Haha yeah, I was amazed at how enjoyable this game turned out to be. I'm sure that it will become a game that I play for a long time. Even going through levels that I've played 20-30 times still leaves me in awe. Certainly there's a few things I would have liked to see, namely a fleshed out World Map (for fuck sakes Nintendo, you keep disappointing me with these), maybe a few more powerups, and more secrets. Hopefully they do that for the sequel, if there ever is one!

loosus

Banned
...So, for you, NSMB much better than 3D Land,... which is much better than Galaxy games?

New Super Mario Bros. games are very good games. 3D Land is a good game with its fair share of problems. The Galaxy games were competent, but they had a LOT of issues. For the first Galaxy game, it's a fucking chore just to get into a level. The second one attempted to correct some of the major problems, but the controls still are not very good. in either Galaxy game.

The second one attempted to correct some of the major problems, but the controls still are not very good. in either Galaxy game.

do you mean a lack of precision or a lack of nuance? my problem with them is the lack of nuance; they're too precise, which makes jumping on the tiniest of platforms pretty easy, especially with the lifesaving spin move.

mjc

NSMB was decent but it was way too easy and super short. I was overjoyed when I heard that SM3DL had a whole second batch of worlds.

Murrah

Banned
So, yeah, NSMB.. A divisive game, eh? I guess I should try and track down a second-hand copy and play it before SM3DL.

Way I look at it is that NSMB is basically what a sequel to the original Super Mario Bros. would have been if there had never been any Mario games in between. And it definitely succeeds with that, for better or worse, though I do think the exclusion of any kind of flight mechanic (aside from Lakitu's cloud) is hands down the game's biggest flaw

But if you have friends with DS's to play with it's worth picking up the game just for the multiplayer minigames

loosus

Banned
do you mean a lack of precision or a lack of nuance? my problem with them is the lack of nuance; they're too precise, which makes jumping on the tiniest of platforms pretty easy, especially with the lifesaving spin move.

I never felt comfortable with the controls even at the very ends of the games, which is really unusual for Mario games. In Mario 64 and Sunshine, I could make Mario go exactly where I wanted him to and do exactly as I had it in my mind for him to do.

In the Galaxy games, something changed. It was too floaty or something. It never caused much issue in terms of dying because, as you said, there were so many things that made up for the bad controls, like the spin move to get you where you really wanted to go. The spin move to me was always synonymous with the targeting in the 3D Sonic games, in that both were introduced to make up for the control's lackings elsewhere.

the main issue i have with nsmb ds is how cramped everything is. you can't just fly through levels like you usually can in mario, which takes out all the fun. nsmb wii fixes that, while keeping the incredible controls that fooled me into thinking that the ds version was the best mario. smb 1 is the king of all games, but nsmb wii is a strong second place.

I never felt comfortable with the controls even at the very ends of the games, which is really unusual for Mario games. In Mario 64 and Sunshine, I could make Mario go exactly where I wanted him to and do exactly as I had it in my mind for him to do.

In the Galaxy games, something changed. It was too floaty or something. It never caused much issue in terms of dying because, as you said, there were so many things that made up for the bad controls, like the spin move to get you where you really wanted to go. The spin move to me was always synonymous with the targeting in the 3D Sonic games, in that both were introduced to make up for the control's lackings elsewhere.

i know just what you mean. it takes mario a good long while to actually land. i did end up getting used to the controls and i enjoy them, but i'd love it if mario 64's mario was imported into smg 2.

Finished the game a few days ago, that was seriously the best Bowser fight ever. Loving the
special world levels and messing around with the Tanooki statue.

rhino4evr

NSMB is probably my least favorite mainline Mario game. It wasn't bad (as none of the Mario games are) it was just overly simple and extremely easy. NSMBWii was a huge improvement.

I have do finished the first 8 worlds of 3D Land and am currently on the second special world. I will say this is easily the best portable Mario game, and maybe one of the best in the series. It really feels like Mario Galaxy Lite. Which is great. Also I haven't found the game easy at all, they just shower you with 1ups. I've died a lot.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Finally beat
Special 8-Crown with both Mario and Luigi
. My best time in the stage was 300 seconds.

Did the infinite 1Ups trick to have the three crowns in the file selection screen, and ended up with 18 hours and 30 minutes on the Activity Log.

Awesome game. Can't wait for Mario Wii U.

Mpl90

Finally beat
Special 8-Crown with both Mario and Luigi
. My best time in the stage was 300 seconds.

Did the infinite 1Ups trick to have the three crowns in the file selection screen, and ended up with 18 hours and 30 minutes on the Activity Log.

Awesome game. Can't wait for Mario Wii U.

I did 260 in that level.

Hey, just bought a 3DS and I don't know if this is the place for this question, but does Nintendo still give you 5 dollars to spend on the eShop for signing up for the Nintendo Club? Did they ever do that, or am I mistaken?

Sinthetic

Got a 3D Land Streetpass today, she had a 4 shiny star rating, mine is a 5 shiny star *Sticks tongue out*

I beat her time on every stage but 3, then went back and beat them all. *Sticks tongue out again*

Ner ner, ner ner ner.

With the exception of the shiny star, I have completed everything else in the game
(including completing S8-Crown with both bros and getting a gold flag pole)

Lives lost: 275
Total time played: 20hrs, 56mins
300 Star Coins

WillyFive

NSMB was a quality game. Problem was that since it emulated the gameplay of the NES games, it felt like a step back from 2D Mario games that came after SMB3.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
NSMB was a quality game. Problem was that since it emulated the gameplay of the NES games, it felt like a step back from 2D Mario games that came after SMB3.

It actually felt like the REAL Super Mario Bros. 2 (SMB2j was a good game but failed as a sequel for recycling everything, while SMB2 USA was assuredly not a Mario game.) That is to say, it stuck so closely to SMB1 an only had superficial hints of SMB3 that it felt in-between them, but hewing closer to the first Super Mario game. NSMBWii on the other hand was sort of in-between SMB3 and World (like, smack in the middle), which are two great things to be sandwiched between.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I have a question: To get the Glittering Star on your save file, do you have to avoid using the Help Block, or avoid making the block appear by dying continuously?

If it's the latter, kittens may die tonight.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

I'd be careful with invoking Sean Malstrom arguments. The "mass market" also says Angry Birds is "better" than any other game on iOS. Mass numbers of people will buy anything if the conditions are right.

In the case of Mario, the popular "2D Mario is better because more people agree with me" rational ignores the fact that 2D and 3D Mario are not the same games. The truth is, casual and middle aged players, and even a lot of relatively core gamers, are functionally uncoordinated and can't play third person 3D games well. 2D games are more popular not necessarily for any intrinsic superiority in a given title, but also because it's simply easier for more people to learn how to play them. It's serious, but popular, misdirection to simplistically equate 2D and 3D Mario, then find the 3D games lacking because they didn't sell the same numbers to an audience they're not optimal for. May as well say Gran Turismo is a failure because it didn't sell to the people who bought Mario Kart Wii.

3D Mario sells about as well as any other core gamer oriented 3D action adventure or action arcade game. The "market" has spoken there, using the sales=quality argument. Because that core market is comprised of people who have no trouble with 3D games and are willing to learn how to play challenging titles. (And Galaxy 1 and 2 are quite challenging, even to veteran gamers, if one plays more than the minimum completion stars.)

The trick with 3D land is that it's striking a sweet spot with a lot of people because it devises a design strategy for incorporating Mario mechanics from the 2D realm in 3D, fully, for the first time. It's a bit of a revelation in design. If anything, it is yet again its own beast, distinct from traditional 2D Mario, but also different from the 3D Mario games to date. The ease of play that its locked camera enables may cause it to be more popular with casual players - those who are scared away by 3D Mario and the complexity of navigating a multidimensional world. In point of fact, I suspect the first run, the 8 vanilla worlds, are made so easy to try and not frighten off the person who has refused to play any 3D games because they're too scary. I'd actually consider that pander a criticism, one of my few criticisms of 3D Land.

But it's too soon to tell if the mass casual market will find 3D Land inviting enough to actually try it.

Natiko

Banned
Finished up World 4 and 5 last night. Still seems really easy but I'm enjoying the levels regardless. The portable nature really shows as I'm easily blowing through a world or two in half an hour.

Odrion

Banned
Way I look at it is that NSMB is basically what a sequel to the original Super Mario Bros. would have been if there had never been any Mario games in between. And it definitely succeeds with that, for better or worse, though I do think the exclusion of any kind of flight mechanic (aside from Lakitu's cloud) is hands down the game's biggest flaw

But if you have friends with DS's to play with it's worth picking up the game just for the multiplayer minigames
I likened NSMB to the Mario Land 1&2 games, a kinda fun knockoff of it's console counterparts.

And still, it was like the first 2D Mario in a decade. Heck, over a decade?

So much happier that Nintendo is willing to dole out the Marios more liberally than they have in the previous generations.

vall03

Finally finished
Special World 8-Crown!
after finishing the block part, the rest was easy. Checked my log and I only had 171 deaths! I also can't believe I beat the game in less than a week even with a busy schedule! really awesome! Now I don't know what game to play after this even with backlog... :(

Special 8-2 just kicked my ass. Took me about 20 lives. I refused to use a Tanooki suit. I am a shitty, stubborn gamer.

As for the Mario pantheon, NSMB DS is a solid game, but Yoshi's Island DS was much better. NSMB Wii did the series proper justice as the level design was much improved.

SM3DL... I'm not sure yet. I agree that there are parts where something feels like it's making me less precise than other games, but less so than when I first started. I don't know if it's the camera angle, lack of full analog control, lack of octagonal guidance, physics, but I don't feel as "good" as I do when I play Galaxy or Mario 64. That said, aside from a few times, it's not a problem and the game is a homerun. Loving the bite-sized linear levels. Some very creative stuff here.

Hey guys. I'm probably getting this tmr. Question, Is there any deals for this game going around at all? If not I'm still buying but with Mario Kart coming in a week, I don't want to spent $80+ on 3ds games within a 7 day period.

With Zelda taking up most of my time, I was neglecting this. Just finished
world 8
tonight and
that amazing bowser battle / chase
, started
special world 1, saved luigi, and did my first speed run / evil Mario levels, and whisked through to the end of special world 2
with a huge smile on my face.

That was an awesome twist of genius. Had it been only
what was present in the first part of the game
I think I'd have been really disappointed... Now I'm really happy to own the game!

Who cares what the "mass market" says? I guess you also insist that Adam Sandler movies are amazing since they sell so many tickets? And if you're going to base a game's quality on its number sold shouldn't you be playing Madden or something anyway?

Personally I thought the DS NSMB was just alright as far as Mario games go. I'd probably give it a 7 within the Mario series. I still had more fun with it than a huge majority of other games, but judging it strictly in comparison to other Mario games it really didn't have anything all that special to it in my opinion. Apparently some people like the physics better. I didn't have a problem with that in 3D Land though.

I don't think I'd want to go back to NSMB just because the themed worlds seem so dull now. I didn't realize that NSMB Wii was so highly regarded, I want to go back and play through that again now. I bought it on a whim a bit after it came out, a few friends and I had just finished out last final of the semester and we were going to my place to hang out, and I had just gotten paid and knew NSMB Wii was out so I just grabbed since we had a group of four people.

I hadn't been keeping up on it and had no idea that it had the exact same themed worlds as the DS version in the same order. I do remember having fun with it but the repetition in the visuals was a huge turn-off. We ended up blowing through it in one night, only doing every other world by using the warp pipes and basically never played it again.

Choc

Banned
this is gonna sound really dumb BUT ive finished the game and world 8 but cant figure out how to get the special worlds or to them?

:|

AniHawk

Hey guys. I'm probably getting this tmr. Question, Is there any deals for this game going around at all? If not I'm still buying but with Mario Kart coming in a week, I don't want to spent $80+ on 3ds games within a 7 day period.

buy one get one 50% off games at toys r us the week mario kart 7 comes out. would save you $20.

Barrett2

this is gonna sound really dumb BUT ive finished the game and world 8 but cant figure out how to get the special worlds or to them?

:|

Just start another playthrough on your existing save file, at the beginning of World 1 there is a big warp pipe on the map. Enter the warp pipe 'level' to go to special world 1.

Im' on Special world 4, in order to get 3 coins in each level, im' burning through so many lives.
KuGsj.gif

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Someone mentioned a while ago that there's a way of telling whether Luigi completed a level, without having to play through it and check the flagpole, but I can't seem to identify it.

Also, is there a difference to how Luigi plays (like physics) or is he basically a skin?

Someone mentioned a while ago that there's a way of telling whether Luigi completed a level, without having to play through it and check the flagpole, but I can't seem to identify it.

Also, is there a different to how Luigi plays (like physics) or is it basically a skin?
When you've beaten the special worlds you'll see a little Mario and/or Luigi icon next to the golden flag in the level select screen which tells you that.

Also, is there a different to how Luigi plays (like physics) or is it basically a skin?

I might be imagining things but I feel like Luigi jumps a bit higher, but is a bit more "slippery" than Mario.

Now I am almost done with the Special Worlds and I will say I am a bit disappointed that most of them
are "remixes" of the other levels but the few original levels are cool
. Unfortunately I am still not enjoying this game any more than I did in the beginning. It is my least favourite Mario game. I wouldn't be interested in a sequel that played the same unless it was different or massively improved on the level designs and mechanics.

whoa whoa whoa whoa. if anything, the ds one is like new super mario bros. LIGHT compared to the wii version. the level design in the wii one is like 100 times better.

I agree with that, but despite how little fun the DS game was I had a lot more fun with the power ups than in Mario 3DS. NSBW is already a more enjoyable game for me than this game even if I only played half of it.

Top Bottom