• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
When you've beaten the special worlds you'll see a little Mario and/or Luigi icon next to the golden flag in the level select screen which tells you that.
So I guess it's better to save Luigi until I beat all the Special Worlds.

storafötter said:
I might be imagining things but I feel like Luigi jumps a bit higher, but is a bit more "slippery" than Mario.
I've only played a single level using him, but that's the kind of change I was looking for but couldn't tell at the time.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
storafötter;32993616 said:
I might be imagining things but I feel like Luigi jumps a bit higher, but is a bit more "slippery" than Mario.

This is correct, and is also the difference between Mario and Luigi in the Galaxy games.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Sounds like I need to do some testing.

EatChildren said:
This is correct, and is also the difference between Mario and Luigi in the Galaxy games.
Was Luigi's differences as subtle as this in the Galaxy games? I never tried him.

Thats good to hear. The first time I noticed this was when I found it easier to jump to the flagpole top when you are tiny (almost impossible with Mario for me). Additionally yesterday I noticed how slippery and more difficult it was to jump long distances and not fall off when you land on very small platforms.

At world 4 now and I'm really enjoying myself. The only annoying thing is that in some levels you need the Lakitu suit if you want to get all three Star medals. And I suck at jumping on top of the pole.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Was Luigi's differences as subtle as this in the Galaxy games? I never tried him.

More extreme I'd say. I'm pretty sure they mentioned in the Iwata Asks that they toned down Luigi's control difficulties for this particular release. In both Galaxy games his slippery movement and high jumps are very noticeable.

Mario's traction does make a difference despite the difference being so small. It was the difference between constantly missing jumps and not in one level (I forget which one it was). It felt like cheating after playing Luigi for so many levels, so I went back to Luigi.

I would say that Luigi is definitely the harder character to play as for most special levels because Mario is better at small precise jumps and control. However; I did notice that Luigi was better for
World 8 Bowser fight

eXistor

Fuckin' awesome game. I'm moving along at a nice pace, 100% is within reach now. The main problem is the lack of difficulty, though some later levels can get pretty frantic, as with the Galaxy games. Whereas NSMB has very little personality, due to a very bland art style, this works just fine. It's obviously Galaxy style, but it's got a class that very few Mario games, bar perhaps SMW have. Up the difficulty from the start next time and we have a real classic on our hands here. As it is I'd still consider this to be amongst the best Mario's.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
More extreme I'd say. I'm pretty sure they mentioned in the Iwata Asks that they toned down Luigi's control difficulties for this particular release. In both Galaxy games his slippery movement and high jumps are very noticeable.

Maybe, but if you're trying for better times (or even just trying to touch flagpole tips) you'll notice how much higher Luigi jumps and how his slippery momentum can actually help.

EatChildren

Maybe, but if you're trying for better times (or even just trying to touch flagpole tips) you'll notice how much higher Luigi jumps and how his slippery momentum can actually help.

Indeed, hence why I too prefer to play as Luigi. Just saying that I think Nintendo toned down the differences between him and Mario in 3D versus the Galaxy duo.

luffeN

With the exception of the shiny star, I have completed everything else in the game
(including completing S8-Crown with both bros and getting a gold flag pole)

Lives lost: 275
Total time played: 20hrs, 56mins
300 Star Coins

Where do you see your lives lost? Is it the retries?
Theres a button to the left of your save file when you first boot up the game. That'll give you some stats when you click it.
Thanks. Then it's 79 lives lost. But I have only completed the normal worlds.

depward

Just 100% this game. Such an enjoyable experience from start to finish. Surely my goty (depends on Mario Kart 7).

I liked how it wasn't extremely difficult. I got 20 incredibly enjoyable hours and some levels were definitely a bit tricky.

sikkinixx

Beat all the regular levels with all coins and flags. Had to go back and get about 10 flag poles I had missed. Pissed me off that I beat the last castle in one try but missed a coin, replaying it I died about 20 times!

Socreges

Banned
Any idea if New Super Mario Bros. Wii will become part of their greatest hits line any time soon?

Special 8-3 is definitely the first time I've had serious trouble with a level. Good stuff.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I just completed the
the last special world level. Holy fuck, I died like 3 times but finally beat it the fourth. Still, so tense lol. I didn't realize there's even more to do after the special worlds - the yellow flag poles and beating each level with Mario/Luigi

Definitely my favourite handheld Mario game, possibly up there with the two Galaxy titles as my favourite Mario's.

Sorry if this has already been asked before several times but does the game keep track of golden flags gotten with Luigi or just levels he's beaten?

Oh, and to each their own but to to me, ardently insisting that NSMB DS is better than SM3DL and both Galaxies is almost like saying Yoshi's Story is a better game than Yoshi's Island. Seriously.

Sorry if this has already been asked before several times but does the game keep track of golden flags gotten with Luigi or just levels he's beaten?

Oh, and to each their own but to to me, ardently insisting that NSMB DS is better than SM3DL and both Galaxies is almost like saying Yoshi's Story is a better game than Yoshi's Island. Seriously.

Just levels he's beaten.

Comparing NSMB to Yoshi's Story is far more ludicrous than saying it's better than this game or Super Mario Galaxy.

Rekubot

So I've just beaten
W8-Bowser hard mode (after you clear Special World 8)
and want to know if there are any more levels left to play. If it's just
golden flags and picking up the rest of the star coins
then I think I'll leave it here, as there's plenty of content left to devour in other games rather than going through old levels for collectibles. I'll keep playing though if there are any levels left, I'm still hoping for a ridiculously hard stage like Galaxy 2's final level.

I will say that while this game is extremely polished and fun to play, it doesn't beat Galaxy 1 or 2 for me. 3D Land is very formulaic compared to Galaxy's structure, which had an overworld and openness that made it feel magical. Nor does it have the difficulty of Galaxy 2 which made me feel like I'd hit the limit of my platforming skillz. I'll give it a pass on content since it's a portable game.

On the other hand, it's still the second best game I've played this year, with OoT 3D edging it out because of its nostalgia factor. Props to Nintendo for delivering excellence on what was probably a very rushed game.

Busaiku

So I've just beaten
W8-Bowser hard mode (after you clear Special World 8)
and want to know if there are any more levels left to play. If it's just
golden flags and picking up the rest of the star coins
then I think I'll leave it here, as there's plenty of content left to devour in other games rather than going through old levels for collectibles. I'll keep playing though if there are any levels left, I'm still hoping for a ridiculously hard stage like Galaxy 2's final level.
Do those to get that.

Busaiku

Oh, and you've gotta clear (just get from start to finish) every level with both as well (only once each, so you've already got at least half of it down).

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I now get street pass encounters each time I take the train in Paris, and everyone is playing this game.

Just levels he's beaten.

Thanks.

Comparing NSMB to Yoshi's Story is far more ludicrous than saying it's better than this game or Super Mario Galaxy.

No it's not, that's why I said "almost." Obviously NSMB is a much more meaty platformer than YS and a different series but that's not the point. Like YS, NSMB as a prequel/sequel is rediculously easy and babies the player almost every step of the way and gives little or no incentive to 100% the game unlike Yoshi's Island and NSMB Wii which are addictive when obtaining 100% each stage and each reward the player with additional levels to play (unlike their counterparts). Or it's like saying you like Green album over Pinkerton or Phantom Menace over ESB.

Kyzer

Banned
To me, this is almost as good as Galaxy. Its really fun and has all the right stuff, it just lacks the extreme precision that Galaxy had that made it incredible to play through over and over and over.

NSMB DS was TERRIBLE. In terms of Mario philosophy, it was the worst main game in the series to me, because it was the only Mario game ever to punish the player with shitty level design. Like. Literally, following the paths of coins laid out for you would lead you into traps.

One of the best aspects of Mario is that when you die, it always feels like its your fault and not the games, so you wanna try again and again.

I don't like being punished for following logical paths.

vall03

fuuuu! I just realized the Special World 8 theme was from a How to draw Mario flipnote! Mindblown!

also, anyone know the second remix of the same theme, its the new one when you unlock Special 8-crown...

I liked NSMB on DS, but it was simple and dumbed down and EASY. The controls however were nice and tight and familiar.

I'm really enjoying SML 3D, I've made it to world S5, but I do still have issues with the controls. It's a little floaty, and I find it hard to make precise jumps in the z plane, especially moving from the background to the foreground. I play with the 3D maxed, in the default (top) setting.

Davey Cakes

I'm trying to figure out the difference between the two different 3D modes. With the default one it seems like things "pop out" more, but with the other one it seems like there's more "depth" to everything. But that could be a completely wrong way to describe the difference.

I will say I prefer the default for one specific reason; the effect isn't lost as easily when the screen tilts left or right.

Roto13

I'm trying to figure out the difference between the two different 3D modes. With the default one it seems like things "pop out" more, but with the other one it seems like there's more "depth" to everything. But that could be a completely wrong way to describe the difference.

No, that's pretty much the perfect way to put it.

bumpkin

Love the game and have been playing the shit out of it, but having to beat every stage twice (as Mario and Luigi) is "ugh"-worthy. Is having beaten every stage and gotten every star coin not enough? Damn you, Shiggy! Why do you hate me? :(

My save file has four stars. As best I can tell, the only things I haven't done are beat every stage with both and get a gold flag on every stage. Are both of those required for the fifth?

The game is crack.

Berordn

Love the game and have been playing the shit out of it, but having to beat every stage twice (as Mario and Luigi) is "ugh"-worthy. Is having beaten every stage and gotten every star coin not enough? Damn you, Shiggy! Why do you hate me? :(

My save file has four stars. As best I can tell, the only things I haven't done are beat every stage with both and get a gold flag on every stage. Are both of those required for the fifth?

The game is crack.

Do both and you get the fifth, plus something else.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
NSMB DS was TERRIBLE. In terms of Mario philosophy, it was the worst main game in the series to me, because it was the only Mario game ever to punish the player with shitty level design. Like. Literally, following the paths of coins laid out for you would lead you into traps.

One of the best aspects of Mario is that when you die, it always feels like its your fault and not the games, so you wanna try again and again.

I don't like being punished for following logical paths.

One could argue SMB2j did this as well, with reverse warp zones and poison mushrooms. But that game was very skill based and the level design was pretty good.

Raw64life

Completed every level and got every coin. Got about 80% of the flagpoles, which I'll finish as I go through all the levels with Luigi. As curious as I am to play the final secret stage I'd rather move on to other games instead of play through every level over again.

AniHawk

Completed every level and got every coin. Got about 80% of the flagpoles, which I'll finish as I go through all the levels with Luigi. As curious as I am to play the final secret stage I'd rather move on to other games instead of play through every level over again.

the nice thing about having all the coins is that when you replay the levels, you can turn them into speed runs.

Raw64life

the nice thing about having all the coins is that when you replay the levels, you can turn them into speed runs.

Yea I had asked about that in this thread and was definitely relieved when I heard that. When I played through the first time I never moved on to the next level until I got the 3 coins so the Luigi run should be that much easier.

I don't think any of NSMB's detractors actually remember a damn thing about the game. How can you not be impressed with the level designs in this video, for example? The hazards and obstacles that you have to overcome to clear all of the levels and collect all of the star coins are extremely varied and often times clever and inventive. The only bad thing you can say about the difficulty is that they were a bit too generous in handing out power ups, but the actual platforming challenges were generally more difficult than those seen at similar points in NSMB Wii, and the secret coins and level exits were generally more difficult to find, and unlike NSMB Wii you don't have any fly-over-the-level-instant-win powerups. NSMB Wii had a lot going for it too with clever level designs and platforming gimmicks, but overall, NSMB DS was more challenging and was arguably the better game.

Kyzer

Banned
I would just disagree completely, unfortunately. Ive always played Mario and NSMB DS is literally the worst time I ever had with any of them. The controls were fine, though. I liked NSMBW a lot. I think the level design made all the difference. It felt like Mega Man 9 with the way they would "trick" you into a trap. Not cool.

That being said, MM did a much better job with that style of gameplay.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I don't think any of NSMB's detractors actually remember a damn thing about the game. How can you not be impressed with the level designs in this video, for example? The hazards and obstacles that you have to overcome to clear all of the levels and collect all of the star coins are extremely varied and often times clever and inventive. The only bad thing you can say about the difficulty is that they were a bit too generous in handing out power ups, but the actual platforming challenges were generally more difficult than those seen at similar points in NSMB Wii, and the secret coins and level exits were generally more difficult to find, and unlike NSMB Wii you don't have any fly-over-the-level-instant-win powerups. NSMB Wii had a lot going for it too with clever level designs and platforming gimmicks, but overall, NSMB DS was more challenging and was arguably the better game.

Not being able to remember anything about a title in a series you may generally consider memorable might be a indicator that the entry wasn't up to par. Just because it had tougher platforming challenging at the toughest stages doesn't mean I had to enjoy it as much as NSMB Wii, which I overall enjoyed much more because I played it with friends.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Just finished the first play through with Mario. Game is good but it feels like something is missing. Only had trouble with maybe 3 stages off the top of my head and two of those were in the last couple of stages.

Dunno if I can really be arsed to go through a 2nd time just to get Luigi. Contemplating trading it in for Rayman Origins or play it for another week or two to smash some times purely for Street Pass.

udivision

Not being able to remember anything about a title in a series you may generally consider memorable might be a indicator that the entry wasn't up to par. Just because it had tougher platforming challenging at the toughest stages doesn't mean I had to enjoy it as much as NSMB Wii, which I overall enjoyed much more because I played it with friends.

Finally, someone gets it.

Berordn

Dunno if I can really be arsed to go through a 2nd time just to get Luigi. Contemplating trading it in for Rayman Origins or play it for another week or two to smash some times purely for Street Pass.

You don't go through the game a second time. The Special Worlds are all new or remixed levels, and you unlock him in the last level of the first one.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
You don't go through the game a second time. The Special Worlds are all new or remixed levels, and you unlock him in the last level of the first one.

That's not so bad then, I expected to go through all 8 worlds again. Cheers. =)

So I Streetpassed someone, and their time for World 1-1 was 500 seconds. I'm hoping they just don't have a recorded time for whatever reason. But surely, they had to have played World 1-1 if they own the game, right? But 500 seconds? Come on, bro...

I don't think any of NSMB's detractors actually remember a damn thing about the game.

Well that's for sure. I played through the entire game, but I seriously cannot remember a single thing about it. And that was maybe eight months ago.

Oh, well, I do remember the Mega Mushroom. That's about it :\

Top Bottom