• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

Just beat the game and I guess I heard wrong because I thought afterwards you could
play as Luigi
but I don't see how. Or does that come after you
finish the special stages
?

Dartastic

Does the jumping in the game bug anyone else? I never feel like I'm running as fast as Mario should, and can't seem to make a bunch of jumps. I don't feel as precise as I should. Yes, I'm holding down the run button.

It been a major criticism of the game for a long time.

Just beat the game and I guess I heard wrong because I thought afterwards you could
play as Luigi
but I don't see how. Or does that come after you
finish the special stages
?

You just have to beat the first special world.

I totally agree with everyone who thinks that the shiny stars should still be available even if you get a helping item as long as you choose not to use it. It really doesn't matter since the stars don't even do anything, but rewarding people for getting better at the game and relying on skill instead of caving in and using a special item makes more sense to me than rewarding people are already good at the game.

You just have to beat the first special world.

I totally agree with everyone who thinks that the shiny stars should still be available even if you get a helping item as long as you choose not to use it. It really doesn't matter since the stars don't even do anything, but rewarding people for getting better at the game and relying on skill instead of caving in and using a special item makes more sense to me than rewarding people are already good at the game.

Bitchin'! Thanks

I wonder how many people cheated and reset the game after dying 5 times in a row to keep their shiny stars, like Jarosh did? I'm still pissed off that I lost my chance to get shiny stars on the final boss when you can't lose your shiny stars after you beat him.

I wonder how many people cheated and reset the game after dying 5 times in a row to keep their shiny stars, like Jarosh did? I'm still pissed off that I lost my chance to get shiny stars on the final boss when you can't lose your shiny stars after you beat him.

I did more than that. I got a stupid invincibility leaf on the second to last level before I knew about the shiny stars. Normally I couldn't care less about stuff like that but it really pissed me off for some reason that I lost them so close to the end.

I'm not proud to admit this, but I was planning on going through about half the levels again anyway to get coins/ flags I'd missed, so I went ahead and erased my save file and did the whole game again without dying more than 5 times, getting all the collectibles on the way.

Usually I'd be extremely embarrassed to admit to going out of my way to earn something so useless, and I do think it was stupid, but the game is fun enough that I don't consider it a waste of time (even if the early levels were a chore to go through again, which they weren't, it probably took me an hour to blow through the first half of the game already knowing where everything was). And, as they say, replaying the game is a one-time inconvenience, shiny stars are forever.

Before I knew that it was dying 5 times consecutively and not just 5 times, period, there were a few boss levels where I'd died 4 times and I was frreeeeaking out and being so careful on my 5th play through. Oh man. Sweaty palms on a handheld. Then I discovered that you can just back out and go beat some other level and it resets your 5 time counter, gravy. Too bad that didn't matter though because I managed to beat all the normal worlds in under 5 lives. *fist-pump*

loosus

Banned
That's the same system from NSMB Wii right? I think it's kind of silly to have no indicator on the levels and no way to go for that achievement other than starting a new save game. Because the accomplishment itself is totally reasonable and fun to shoot for, so I don't see the need to make it so user-unfriendly. Hell, drop it to three lives, but at least make it transparent. The way the system is currently set up (afaik), once a single box pops up, you might as well just grab the suit on every hard level as far as the game is concerned since there's no distinction between using it and not on a level-by-level basis.

w/e really loving the game and just to be clear that's a super minor complaint

As I've said, this is what I think should happen: no matter how many times you've seen (or made appear) these items, you should be able to redeem yourself by going through the entire level without the items. And there should be a small indicator on the map screen telling you which levels you need to redeem yourself in.

The current system simply encourages people who want sparkly stars to turn the system off after making the items appear, which helps nobody.

This is one area where I believe the Mario team has steadily been going in the wrong direction. There is absolutely, positively no reason to make anything in a videogame "unforgivable." There are technical ways around it like turning off the system, so just make it easy by default.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
played until about 2-3 yesterday. the first level with the helicopter brick is amazing.

never touched a 3ds before this, it's a real showcase for the system.

was playing on the train, can't for the life of me find the 3rd star coin thing on 2-2!

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
played until about 2-3 yesterday. the first level with the helicopter brick is amazing.

never touched a 3ds before this, it's a real showcase for the system.

was playing on the train, can't for the life of me find the 3rd star coin thing on 2-2!
I'm glad you enjoy it catfish, I'll send you my FC for Mario Kart.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, here is my FC: 3780-9013-7589. You will need to share yours too.

dear god, I forgot about the stupidness of friends codes. I've added you, what the hell is wrong with a friends request! haha.

mine is

add me (goes for any EU mario kart players!)

Fuck this fucking shitty game.

I just lost like a hundred lives on
the super secret final level.

I give it a 2/10.

(okay multiply the 2 by 5 and that's pretty close)

Got all five stars and finally tried out
World S8-Crown

Good thing I have over 300 lives. There's no way I'll use them all up before I complete the level >_>

Barrett2

Are you even kidding me with the special world levels?! These are AWESOME!!

Damn you Nintendo, just when im' ready to write-off the 3DS, you drop one of the best games of the year on us.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The game is so pretty. And weirdly pretty. I'm pretty sure its not pushing the same geometry detail and texture resolution of Mario Galaxy, yet features certain effects that Mario Galaxy does not. Like proper dynamic shadows on some of the environment, and bump mapping. It's like a weird hybrid of not quite the Wii's processing power, but a few advanced graphical bells and whistles bolted on that the Wii struggles with (thanks to the GPU's shaders).

marc^o^

The game is so pretty. And weirdly pretty. I'm pretty sure its not pushing the same geometry detail and texture resolution of Mario Galaxy, yet features certain effects that Mario Galaxy does not. Like proper dynamic shadows on some of the environment, and bump mapping. It's like a weird hybrid of not quite the Wii's processing power, but a few advanced graphical bells and whistles bolted on that the Wii struggles with (thanks to the GPU's shaders).
8-8 in particular is beautiful.

Sinthetic

I thought I was going to really get a kick out of time trials, bummer is I'm not even tempted to try the levels again after doing them 4 times over. ;(

Still, it says 30 hours on my Log. That's pretty brilliant.

marc^o^

I have yet to receive times from another player through street pass. Once you do, does the game keep in memory your encounters times forever?

Zomba13

Does the jumping in the game bug anyone else? I never feel like I'm running as fast as Mario should, and can't seem to make a bunch of jumps. I don't feel as precise as I should. Yes, I'm holding down the run button.

Glad it's not just me.

Managed to beat W8 though. Only had the cheat items pop up once and on that go I beat the level I had trouble with (one of the W8 levels).

Huh? SMG1 and 2 make heavy use of EMBM.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Huh? SMG1 and 2 make heavy use of EMBM.

Indeed they do, but I'm seeing it in areas in SM3DL that I didn't in the Galaxy games (from memory at least), such as the castle walls and pretty much all bricks.

Wait, if I die five times in a level, and the invincibility leaf appears, my save file is no longer branded as "perfect", even if I don't actually grab the invincibility leaf? Please say that's not the case, because that's bull if it's true.

I've just started world 3, and while I haven't even come close to dying 5 times in a level yet, that may well change if the difficulty ramps up later on (and I'm hoping it does, as my only criticism of SM3DL so far is that it's too easy).

Sinthetic

Wait, if I die five times in a level, and the invincibility leaf appears, my save file is no longer branded as "perfect", even if I don't actually grab the invincibility leaf? Please say that's not the case, because that's bull if it's true.

I've just started world 3, and while I haven't even come close to dying 5 times in a level yet, that may well change if the difficulty ramps up later on (and I'm hoping it does, as my only criticism of SM3DL so far is that it's too easy).

It's true.

8-8 is stunning. Uses proper Normal Mapping on the rainy walls :D

In some ways it's better looking as Galaxy 1 and 2 (textures, shader effects, shadows, more dynamic lighting - especially in the ghost house levels and of course the 3D effect) but Galaxy 1 & 2 have it beat in terms of pure geometric detail and of course they're running at double the framerate (though that's really negated by the S3D - if that wasn't there, the game would be running at 60FPS)

Less polygons, more special effects seems to sum up the 3DS' visuals as a whole compared to the Wii.

You know what I really like about the game? This fucking remix:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCHtAUuPzyY

Can't get that thing out of my head. It's so light-hearted. <3

Yeah, that's probably my favourite track in the game. It's dodgy in all the right ways!

Also, how many Star Coins can you possibly get? I've finished the main game
both of them! Just need to finish it with both Mario & Luigi, with the golden flagpoles
and I'm still getting Star Coins from the mystery boxes. Does it ever end? Is there a point to them?

Nicktendo86

I actually hate myself a little for doing this but I'm going to delete my save file tonight and start again so I can get shiny stars. I just can't help it I need the shiny :(

Boney

Banned

That's how it goes, same as NSMBWii. If you die 4 times you can enter another level and die.

jarosh

it happened to me twice. i just quit the game when the block appeared. that works. to be honest, though, there's no reason why you should die more than 5 times in world 1 - 8. don't worry too much. the game is ridiculously easy in the regular worlds. i was just playing really carelessly at the time and was multitasking (cooking lol). when i later re-played all of the regular worlds, i pretty much played through the whole thing in one go, only dying like 3 times in total.

liger05

Hey has anyone else suffered this bug?

I'm on the special World 6-3

I have collected all 3 star coins and finished the level but the game says I only collected two. Have jumped back in and all 3 are greyed out as they should be but still the game says I missed the 3rd coin.

loosus

Banned
Hey has anyone else suffered this bug?

I'm on the special World 6-3

I have collected all 3 star coins and finished the level but the game says I only collected two. Have jumped back in and all 3 are greyed out as they should be but still the game says I missed the 3rd coin.

I haven't had that exact issue, but I did have something weird happen. I went into a level to get the star coins, and one that the map screen said I didn't have was already grayed out when I went into the level to collect it. So, I collected it anyway, finished the level, and then the map screen said I had it. Really weird.

luffeN

How do I know that I can't get a perfect playthrough anymore? I died sometimes while riding train, but I don't know if the invinc. leaf turned up.

Mrbob

Just reached World 7, don't want this game to end. So much fun, and the 3D is great.

Now I'm really looking forward to Luigi's Mansion 2 and Paper Mario to see how these games look in 3D (Not a big Mario Kart fan).

I remember being so amazed at how cool the Hershey bars and Graham crackers looked in S5-4 after you pass the checkpoint. I suggest for everyone to go back and pay attention to detail on the graham cracker but make sure to have the top 3D enabled at full blast!

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I can't for the life of me find the 3rd one on 2-2....

what the hell!

so i've finished S1 (with all the star coins but the last one on 8-8 which i'll go back and get at some point. all tops of flag poles hit so far too) and it seems a good point to throw out my impressions.

i suck at the game, long gave up on getting the shiny stars :) not sure how far into completion i'll try to go, but i'll probably try to beat all the special worlds (without the super secret final level) as a minimum.

i have a 3DTV and the 3DS is something where most games on it i find myself thinking that they would be better played in 3D on that, but this game, nope. it's hard to explain, but Mario has always been a little guy to me. he's jumping on mushrooms and fitting down pipes. coins are almost as big as him.

he's tiny, and on the 3DS he looks it more than ever before. the scale of these little worlds is something to behold. after getting a 3DTV i did wonder what value i'd see in the 3DS beyond some good exclusives, but now i think i get it. the 3DS is going to be great for feeling like you have a little world in the palm of your hand, rather than a projector or 3DTV which is great for making you feel 'there'.

Luigi's Mansion 2, Animal Crossing 3DS... those games are going to shine for that very reason.

so, to the game itself... it's my favourite mario game now. hands down. Galaxy i got bored of halfway through, so i never picked up Galaxy 2... and i'd been so excited about Galaxy. there wasn't anything wrong with it... it just ended up boring me.

harvest stars to unlock the next world... i don't know, it just feels padded out. i'd rather a succession of esoteric and suprising levels that have reasons to revisit but that i can move on from once i hit the end.

it feels like much more of a platformer too than Galaxy did. Galaxy had a lot of object evasion and searching for multiple pieces of stuff, and it didn't have many pitfalls. 3D land is about running and jumping more than its about anything else.

it sings in 3D and is just a joy to control. love that analogue nub. its hard to believe how much better than the PSP nub it is. i can't see the sticks on the PSVita being noticeably better, because i don't find the slider noticeably worse than a 360 controller (actually even prefer it to the Dual Shock analogues).

the artstyle hides the crosstalk issues of the 3DS screen very nicely, the default depth, with a good amount of stuff coming out of the screen is part of what makes it feel like a world in your hands rather than a window into another world too... i expect that they'll use this kind of depth from now on, and will be disapointed if they don't.

even the boss fights are platforming experiences more than anything else.

that 8-8 was epic.

all in all it's a contender for game of the year for me. given that i'm yet to finish Zelda (which is a contender) Batman and Uncharted 3, that's saying a lot. but right now it's nudged ahead of Portal 2 and Alice for me.

it's a game. it doesn't try to be anything other than that. it's a tightly controlling, pure platformer with a large amount of content and huge replayability. it might not have orchestrated music or an epic storyline or any of the things that make so many people love Galaxy, but i'd rather jump my way through these worlds than those.

best Mario game yet.

I have a question about the pink boxes that appear on the map: how do you know when you've gotten all the star medals from it? What's the point of them coming back from being frayed out if there are no more star medals?

Roto13

I have a question about the pink boxes that appear on the map: how do you know when you've gotten all the star medals from it? What's the point of them coming back from being frayed out if there are no more star medals?

They're randomized. When they come back, they're different inside and might have one or two new star medals in them.

Top Bottom