• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

Go through the pipe at the beginning of each world.

Ok I will look for this. So for example
at the start of 1-1, 2-1, 3-1 etc, there is a pipe that takes you to the special version of that world ? I already saw the cut scene with Luigi inside of a cage.

Just beat
8-crown
! That was fun, but it made me really hate the 3DS's slide pad. (Actually, so did just about every level while playing as Luigi.) Question: Does anything happen if you beat it with both brothers?

beril

Ok, this just might be the best Mario game ever, or since Mario Word anyway.

I don't know if it's the S3D or the tweaked controls, the camera, or more forgiving collision detection that does it, but jumping on enemies really feels great in this game. It's nice to finally be rid of all punches and spinattacks and other crap and dispose of enemies the proper Mario way. Also, tiny mario is awesome and certainly beats having a health bar. It also makes the game considerably less forgiving.

I do have some minor compaints though. The tannooki suit is a bit overpowered and makes the game less fun in my opinion. After a while I started avoiding the leafs because I wanted the challenge of playing without it. Also I wish there were a bit more original levels in the special levels. Of course the amount of special levels is extremely generous to begin with, but as it's there the diffulty starts ramping up and the game really shines, I just wish there would be a bit less repetition in this area. Still they've managed to change up most of them quite a lot so they're still fun to play again, and it's no worse than what we're used to in 3D Mario where it's normal to go through each level 3-7 times.

It doesn't feel quite as feature packed as Galaxy 2 or NSMBW or some older Mario games, but that's understandable considering the short development time and it still has more than enough variation. I love how streamlined the presentation is though. It really cuts away all the fat and is better for it. And as good as the Galaxy soundtrack is, I think the music here fits the game much better and feels more mario-like.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
The Special worlds are simply amazing. AMAZING
Truly amazing. I'm not a big mario fan like most of you but it's the best I have played yet.
It's simple enough for me to be drawn into the 3 stars challenge. In terms of game design, it's pretty genius.

gwiz210

You know how OoT3D and SF643D disable online communications when playing them?
Does this game do that?
If you know what I'm talking about, let me know.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
You know how OoT3D and SF643D disable online communications when playing them?
Does this game do that?
If you know what I'm talking about, let me know.

It doesn't. Hopefully Nintendo realise that was a stupid idea.

Sinthetic

I've got two sparkly stars after finishing all 8 worlds. Can I now lose there sparkly status by dying loads on a single level?

As long as you don't die 5 times in the default World 1 - 8, you will never lose the sparkle.

You can die 1000 times in S and they will sparkle like Simon Cowell's teeth.

Really enjoyed your impressions plagiarize.

loosus

Banned
Okay, the game just pissed me off hardcore.

I was at the very end in S7-1. There were tight ropes throughout the entire level. Earlier in the level, if there was a tight rope running from left to right (i.e., horizontally as compared to the camera angle), I could simply push "up" on the control stick and jump to get off the tight rope. At the end of the level, there was a tight rope identical to those that (I thought) you would use to jump into the flag pole. I couldn't jump off of it by pushing "up" on the control stick. I had to go left or right to get off of it before I could move into the third dimension again.

And because it was one of those "30 second" levels, I had only like 10 seconds left and died before I realized what was going on.

I went in the level again just to be sure I wasn't crazy. Did the same thing. WTF Nintendo. Why do that?

Chopper

Ok I will look for this. So for example
at the start of 1-1, 2-1, 3-1 etc, there is a pipe that takes you to the special version of that world ? I already saw the cut scene with Luigi inside of a cage.

Dude. Then you've already done world S1. Just keep going. Otherwise, yeah, the pipes at the beginning of each world take you between regular and special worlds.

Dude. Then you've already done world S1. Just keep going. Otherwise, yeah, the pipes at the beginning of each world take you between regular and special worlds.

Yeah I finally figured out that
the pipe appears on the world map at the beginning of each world. Obvious but somehow I missed it until after I asked on the thread.

But I hadn't already done world S1 when I asked that earlier.
You see a cutscene with Luigi behind the bars when you beat world 8. You don't actually rescue him until you've beat world S1. Which I've done now. Loving the special worlds so far. They are whacky, and pretty hard compared to the original world levels. Poison mushrooms, the little asshole that chases you through 1-2, star coins are harder to find etc..

jgkspsx

Initial impressions after World 1 full complete are, "oh, hey, it's a Mario game in 3D." I liked Galaxy but stalled out. I didn't really like NSMB as much but I nearly full-completed it. This is definitely one of my favorite series entries so far...

I am amused at how much it resembles the much-reviled isometric action games of antiquity.

Just beat
S8 Crown
. A bit disappointing after everything I had to go through to get it, especially after the equivalent in SMG 2, but fun nonetheless. Loved the
fireworks and blocks that spelled out "Thank You".

Incredible game and likely to be my number 2 following Skyward Sword. Really hopeful for the future of the 3DS now, at least regarding Nintendo developed games. Hope the 3rd parties catch on and realize how much good 3D adds to the experience. I'm super psyched for Mario Kart 7 now.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
As I've said, this is what I think should happen: no matter how many times you've seen (or made appear) these items, you should be able to redeem yourself by going through the entire level without the items. And there should be a small indicator on the map screen telling you which levels you need to redeem yourself in.

The current system simply encourages people who want sparkly stars to turn the system off after making the items appear, which helps nobody.

This is one area where I believe the Mario team has steadily been going in the wrong direction. There is absolutely, positively no reason to make anything in a videogame "unforgivable." There are technical ways around it like turning off the system, so just make it easy by default.

yep pretty much agree. not that big of a deal like i said earlier but i do agree on this point

After losing over 50 lives on
S8-Crown
, I've lost my patience with the level already. Timing jumps are no fun. I'm using the Tanooki Suit to finish the level for now on

LONG LIVE THE PERFECT RUN!

Duallusion

Bought a second-hand ambassador'd 3DS and 3D land, yay. Now it sits there, tempting me, but I must resist and save it for the bus trips and other boring parts of daily life. I don't want to plow through it on a couch at home, not matter how much I crave for some good ol' mario:)

Slightly OT; is NSMB worth it for almost full price (35€)? Nintendo games sure do keep their prices...

Was only going to buy Tales of the Abyss and Mario Kart 7, but all the 'omg dis game iz so gewd' replies in this thread...sigh. I think I'll buy this game today.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
watching my girlfriend play I suddenly understand the die five times and get a super suit thing. 5 lives is about the time somebody with '3d issues' will get really frustrated.

It's actually a very good idea to have the retard leaf available.

beril

What do you need to do to unlock the final level? I've gotten all star coins on all the levels now. Do I need to beat them with both Mario and Luigi as well?. Doesn't really seem worth replaying all the levels with Luigi, at least not right away. Will probably wait a while in that case and get started on Zelda instead

beril

What 3d option do you guys recommend? The popout one or the depth one?

The main advantage of the popup mode is that the depth is focused on Mario so even if you tilt the system and go outside the viewing angle, Mario will still be in the same position so it will be less jarring. But I think they had to decrease the effect a it in this mode to avoid things popping out too much and breaking the illusion when they reach the edge of the screen, so the effect is a bit stronger in depth mode. So if you're able to hold the system steady I think that's the one to go for.

425kid

What do you need to do to unlock the final level? I've gotten all star coins on all the levels now. Do I need to beat them with both Mario and Luigi as well?. Doesn't really seem worth replaying all the levels with Luigi, at least not right away. Will probably wait a while in that case and get started on Zelda instead

I had the most fun so far in the game with Tanooki Luigi and speed running some of the levels. You can take a lot of shortcuts and it feels like a whole new level. My favorite so far is 7-5, especially the last bit, the pillars and Goombas is placed such that you can just jump across and not wait for the platform.

shawnlreed

Finally beat
S-8 Crown
Super difficult, but I feel a real sense of accomplishment having beaten it.
Now on to Skyward Sword !!!

Davey Cakes

My brother got a great deal trading in his DSi and getting the 3DS Mario bundle.

Thus far I've only made it a few levels into World 2 but I'm impressed by how much of a pure joy it is to play the game. The levels are just...fun.

I attained all 242 stars in Super Mario Galaxy 2, a game that some people say is too hard (my brother) and others say is too easy. But I will say that I enjoy a decent challenge and that game towards the end really gave me some decent challenges, though I enjoyed the entirety of the experience anyway. I doubt Mario 3D Land will become overly difficult, but going by the pure charm of the first world I don't think difficulty will be a real issue when there's fun to be had with this game for different reasons.

Not every platformer has to be Super Meat Boy, y'know?

So far I don't care much for the idea of the run button, but there actually are some parts where it's as good or better not to run, so I'm glad I don't have to hold down the button all the time. Platforming doesn't always need to be done at intense speeds.

loosus

Banned
Bought a second-hand ambassador'd 3DS and 3D land, yay. Now it sits there, tempting me, but I must resist and save it for the bus trips and other boring parts of daily life. I don't want to plow through it on a couch at home, not matter how much I crave for some good ol' mario:)

Slightly OT; is NSMB worth it for almost full price (35€)? Nintendo games sure do keep their prices...

New Super Mario Bros. is a much better game than Super Mario 3D Land. I had lost my copy of NSMB a while back, and I just gladly paid full price for it again not too long ago. A really, really great game and one that I find fun playing even just to fuck around because the controls are so much better and the game is much more consistent. I don't see myself ever going back to 3D Land very much, but I still go back to NSMB even today -- years after its release.

New Super Mario Bros. is a much better game than Super Mario 3D Land. I had lost my copy of NSMB a while back, and I just gladly paid full price for it again not too long ago. A really, really great game and one that I find fun playing even just to fuck around because the controls are so much better and the game is much more consistent. I don't see myself ever going back to 3D Land very much, but I still go back to NSMB even today -- years after its release.

How does it look on the 3DS screen I wonder? I love the fidelity of SM3DL's graphics, even in 2D mode.

loosus

Banned
How does it look on the 3DS screen I wonder? I love the fidelity of SM3DL's graphics, even in 2D mode.

It looks decent, but yeah, it looks kinda shitty after playing 3D Land for a while. It's got a Nintendo 64-esque wash-out that kinda sucks. It's all because of the scaling. If you play it in its native resolution, it actually looks great, but it's seriously too small to be comfortable.

Davey Cakes

That is a very odd opinion, no offense. Most people see NSMB as a low for the series, even though it's pretty darn fun in its own right.

Did you ever get to play New Super Mario Bros. Wii? What are your thoughts on that? It was widely considered to be superior to its predecessor.

loosus

Banned
That is a very odd opinion, no offense. Most people see NSMB as a low for the series, even though it's pretty darn fun in its own right.

Did you ever get to play New Super Mario Bros. Wii? What are your thoughts on that? It was widely considered to be superior to its predecessor.

If that's the case, then I guess the mass market as a whole must have an "odd" opinion. :)

I thought New Super Mario Bros. Wii was good, but it wasn't as good as the DS version. There were several things that I disliked that were not present in the DS version: the camera was zoomed way the fuck out, which pissed me off. No distinction was made between levels completed by yourself and with other players. (I thought they should have put in a marker that did not consider a level 100% complete until you completed it by yourself with no help from other players.) They introduced the same "don't die but so many times in a level" bullshit that is in Mario 3D Land. The waggle controls sucked shit.

Still, the game was definitely competent and was superlative compared to quite a few other platform games. But honestly, I bought the game because I loved New Super Mario Bros. for DS, not because of the game's own strengths and weaknesses -- which, had I known about before purchasing, would've turned me off enough that I would've bought the game used instead of new.

Eh, NSMB might be better to you, but I think that game sucks compared to SM3DL. Personally I never had fun with NSMB, but I've already 100% SM3DL one time and have already started a new save file. NSMB is my least liked Mario game.

SM3DL is a fucking blast; probably one of the top games in the series. I must say though, I came in expecting a product not nearly as good as Galaxy but the game came out to be maybe even better than Galaxy after full completion.

jarosh

I thought New Super Mario Bros. Wii was good, but it wasn't as good as the DS version

whoa whoa whoa whoa. if anything, the ds one is like new super mario bros. LIGHT compared to the wii version. the level design in the wii one is like 100 times better.

Top Bottom