• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

So I'm wondering if anyone can help me out. I've beat even level in W1-8
and Special W1-8 with both Mario and Luigi
, gotten then golden flagpoles, and all three coins. Every level. I've triple checked this.

I still only have 4 stars. They're not glittering but isn't it still possible to get the 5th star and get my crown stage? Where the heck is it? Any advice?

Did you try beating 8-bowser
with luigi one more time?

Btw, what's the max number of star medals you can have? I read it was 309, which is where I'm at now.

ed: oh christ mariowiki says 330. fuck.

Big One

Banned
So I obtained this yesterday and beat the first 8 worlds. This game was a blast and feels very refreshing. It's the perfect portable Mario game just for the fact that the levels are structured so neatly that you can just pick it up at anytime on the go and play it. The special worlds are pretty damn challenging especially if you're aiming to get all the coins. This game isn't as good as the Galaxy duo, but it's definitely a high tier Mario game imo.

Was really surprised by how much variety and great platforming design this game entails, I was kind of expecting a weaker version of Galaxy but instead got something completely different and new to the series.

The 3D effect is used decently. I prefer to play the game in 3D, but since it does feature gyro functions the 3D does get hurt by that as expected. There are times when 3D actually benefits the player. There are a lot of perspective tricks that can fuck you up real bad in this game (and no I'm not talking about those puzzles), which is a good way to utilize 3D in game design. Like most 3DS games however I end up just turning the 3D off after long periods of play and figuring out the perspective tricks on my own.

RaidenZR

I'd quadruple check, because everything seems in order. There's probably one level missing one of the requirements that you skipped over or something.

And yeah, even if you missed out on the shiny stars you can definitely still get all five and access the last level.

Did you try beating 8-bowser
with luigi one more time?

Btw, what's the max number of star medals you can have? I read it was 309, which is where I'm at now.

ed: oh christ mariowiki says 330. fuck.

I quadruple checked. I also re-beat the
last Bowser stage in W8 and SW-8 with both Mario and Luigi,
just for the hell of it. The result: Nothing. Zilch.

What. The. Hell.

What. The. Hell.

This is definitely fucked up. And I would presume you have all the photos unlocked too, correct?

What. The. Hell.

Wow, that's really weird. You don't have any red exclamation marks anywhere?

I guess you might have gotten a bug. Normally I wouldn't believe it in a Nintendo game, but they have that Skyward Sword fuck up going on right now too, so maybe that's what it is. Sucks if that's the case.

Gambit

According to Reggie (via gamasutra) Mario 3D Land is the fastest-selling portable Mario game,while Skyward Sword's 535,000 sales since November 20 make it the fastest-selling Zelda game ever, Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime told USA Today.

Link

Sorry if this has been posted before, but as the search function is off atm, I cannot check properly.

EDIT: So so SO late. Obviously it has been posted before. I should have known. Just found the thread on page 4. So keep calm and carry on.

Anyway, the game is still magical and I think I the best handheld Mario game. I am constantly amazed at its brilliance. I also strangely love the little vignettes between worlds. The pictures always make me laugh.

zigg

I hit a Mystery Box with a P-Wing and fifteen Super Leaves in it recently... I don't suppose there was a way to use that P-Wing somewhere else that I messed up by not picking it up last, was there? I've never even seen the P-Wing before, so I don't know how it works. :)

I thought after the fact that it would have been hilarious to use it to clear S8-Crown.

anyone else wish they wouldve just ported over n64 controls? i never feel like mario is going 100 where i want him to. i spend more time looking at his shadow than im supposed to.

luffeN

What am I missing? The Invincibility Leaf does not make me invincible? I don't know in which level I died five times but it now appeared in the S-Worlds. I took it on accident, ran into an enemy and the powers were gone.

jokkir

What am I missing? The Invincibility Leaf does not make me invincible? I don't know in which level I died five times but it now appeared in the S-Worlds. I took it on accident, ran into an enemy and the powers were gone.

It doesn't appear in the S-Worlds. You probably got the silver leaf which turns you into stone when pounding the ground.

Berordn

That's the Stone Leaf, which replaces your stomp ability with the tanooki statue. The invincibility leaf turns you white and gold and doesn't appear at all in the special worlds.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.

The P-Wing? I didn't think that appeared in the S-worlds. If you mean the greyer Tanooki.... well that isn't an invincibility leaf but does do something rather cool if you do as the first level you encounter really wants you do - jump as press a shoulder button...

luffeN

It doesn't appear in the S-Worlds. You probably got the silver leaf which turns you into stone when pounding the ground.

That's the Stone Leaf, which replaces your stomp ability with the tanooki statue. The invincibility leaf turns you white and gold and doesn't appear at all in the special worlds.

The P-Wing? I didn't think that appeared in the S-worlds. If you mean the greyer Tanooki.... well that isn't an invincibility leaf but does do something rather cool if you do as the first level you encounter really wants you do - jump as press a shoulder button...
Oooooooooooohhhhhhhh, because it look similar to the one in the OP without the sparkling. damn, thx guys :D

Edit: In which world will I get it for the first time?

Edit2: Got one!

Edit3: Just wanted to add: Those S-Stages are WONDERFUL.

Raw64life

So I'm wondering if anyone can help me out. I've beat even level in W1-8
and Special W1-8 with both Mario and Luigi
, gotten then golden flagpoles, and all three coins. Every level. I've triple checked this.

I still only have 4 stars. They're not glittering but isn't it still possible to get the 5th star and get my crown stage? Where the heck is it? Any advice?

Maybe try doing all the ? block stages again?

RaidenZR

Wow, that's really weird. You don't have any red exclamation marks anywhere?

I guess you might have gotten a bug. Normally I wouldn't believe it in a Nintendo game, but they have that Skyward Sword fuck up going on right now too, so maybe that's what it is. Sucks if that's the case.

Yeah I read about that. It got me worried too. I don't have any red exclamation marks, no.

Did you skip a level? Some of the early worlds allow you to skip levels you can't unlock. Maybe that's it.

If that's not it... I got nothing.

Never skipped around in my playing of the worlds.

Maybe try doing all the ? block stages again?

Yeah I made sure all the Toad Houses and ? Block Stages that were currently visible were wiped clean. Still nada.

I appreciate the suggestions, and I'll literally try anything anyone wants to suggest. I keep cruising over the world map, node by node, just to make sure. Nothing is left for me to do. I don't understand it... Eventually I will play through this again, so I will try to achieve this from a clean file, but just not at this point in time. It's really frustrating that I can't play what I feel I've seemingly achieved.

Javier

Yeah I read about that. It got me worried too. I don't have any red exclamation marks, no.

Never skipped around in my playing of the worlds.

Yeah I made sure all the Toad Houses and ? Block Stages that were currently visible were wiped clean. Still nada.

I appreciate the suggestions, and I'll literally try anything anyone wants to suggest. I keep cruising over the world map, node by node, just to make sure. Nothing is left for me to do. I don't understand it... Eventually I will play through this again, so I will try to achieve this from a clean file, but just not at this point in time. It's really frustrating that I can't play what I feel I've seemingly achieved.
Do you have a "Best Time" on every stage? I know that if you lose a life and start from a checkpoint a record time won't register. You could try that.

RaidenZR

Do you have a "Best Time" on every stage? I know that if you lose a life and start from a checkpoint a record time won't register. You could try that.

Hmm, there's about 4 or 5 stages where I don't have a 'Best Time' listed. Could that really be a dealbreaker for it? I'm curious if anyone who's unlocked it already can verify one way or another.

Also,
where exactly on the world map does the Crown stage appear?

Hmm, there's about 4 or 5 stages where I don't have a 'Best Time' listed. Could that really be a dealbreaker for it? I'm curious if anyone who's unlocked it already can verify one way or another.

Also,

It replaces the pipe in World S8

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I don't think any of NSMB's detractors actually remember a damn thing about the game.
I'd say that actually supports their opinions quite well. The game wasn't memorable.

The controls, visual design, music, and level design never grabbed me. They were solid platformers, I cannot deny, but they just don't pull me in the way something like Super Mario World or Super Mario Galaxy did (to use both an old and new example). Simply playing those games is a joy and loading them up to play a random level is a blast. With NSMB, I never felt the urge to pop the game in and found that most of my time WITH the game was spent "grinding" my way through just to complete it.

Again, it wasn't a poorly designed game by any means, but it was lacking a certain "something" that I expect from a top tier platformer.

Also,
S8-Pipe. The game doesn't really announce when you've unlocked it, either.

Lijik

Got this and a 3DS on Black Friday and have been playing it the past few days a little bit before bed each night.
Its really fun! I'm only on World 5 but I'm really digging the game and alternate the 3D being on or off (I don't get the people saying this game is super hard with the 3D off)

But as much fun as I'm having with it, the game is lacking a sense of freshness. It feels like retreads of concepts explored in past Mario games, especially the most recent slew of titles. I remember getting really excited when I played that one stage with the patchwork ground textures and bubbles floating in the sky until I found this was just a level skin that didn't really impact the stage design in any way.

Does this continue throughout, or is the game saving its most novel stuff for the special worlds?
Regardless of it does or not, I'm having fun with it as it is even if its not the most amazing Mario game I've played. The game reminds me of this saturn platformer called Ninpen Manmaru with how blocky the stages are and their short but sweet length.

zigg

But as much fun as I'm having with it, the game is lacking a sense of freshness. It feels like retreads of concepts explored in past Mario games, especially the most recent slew of titles...

Does this continue throughout, or is the game saving its most novel stuff for the special worlds?
Yeah, it's got a few tricks up its sleeve, but I feel it's definitely less revolutionary (particularly when held up to the Galaxy games) and more evolutionary.

I still love it nonetheless. :D

lawblob said:
Got a street pass this morning, looks like it populated a new pink cube in world 4, gave me a new star.
I think it also downloaded clear times for you to compete against. I haven't seen any of the one guy I did Pass, but I haven't really been looking hard either.

Mistle

So, which stars exactly are the ones that can sparkle? And how do I get them all? (not how to sparkle, but how to get the actual stars)

zigg

So, which stars exactly are the ones that can sparkle? And how do I get them all? (not how to sparkle, but how to get the actual stars)
The ones on your save file, and you must get every gold flag and use both brothers to clear every level save the crazy hard one that unlocks when you actually get all five stars. Sparkling is achieved by never dying enough to see the Block of Shame that gives up an invincible leaf or P-Wing.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but I'm sure a lot of you noticed, when Bowser throws a barrel at you out of nowhere, that's totally a Donkey Kong reference.

RaidenZR

So I went through and smacked a 'Best Time' on every stage that was missing one last night,
and yet still no 5th star or unlocked Crown stage.
I guess I am officially giving up on this particular save file. It clearly glitched up somewhere and I have no idea if I can make it right. I honestly don't get what I didn't do for this game's requirements. I did see the special Block of Shame once but i never touched it, and from what I've read here, that would only affect the shiny stars thing.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Game finally arrived from the United States yesterday. If there's one thing I should know to do in the future, it is to not balk on express delivery when Thanksgiving is in the process.

Only up to the 5th world but I love it. My better half had a bit of a go last night too, it's been her first Mario title since SMB3. She seems to enjoy it.

Now to start cracking and collect those yellow flags.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Cool cool. Still unsure about whether to play in 3D or not. Sometimes I leave it on and barely notice it, other times I switch it off. Only thing for certain is that it's probably the best game to represent 3D while playing, not only in mechanics but also aesthetically.

Top Bottom