• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

The reverse box art is pretty awesome. I like it.

jgDSvUGsqlOmq.JPG

relaxor

what?
So yeah this game is brilliant. I'm pausing it right now to savor it, but in an afternoon I made it through World 3's Bowser level. Mario is so cute!

Also I am one of those sort of bad at action gaming gamers and I've been enjoying the difficulty. It ramps up very appropriately and I have been dying a fair amount : /

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Finally hit the special worlds and unlocked the best brother. Why does it feel that I've barely scratched the surface of what this game has to offer?

Lijik

Up to world 5 of the Special worlds. I fucking love this game!
I know this sounds a little backhanded, but best portable 3d platformer right here. Luigi is sweet, and I'm really digging what the S-worlds have to offer.
I am a bit bummed out they rely a lot on remixing old content. From 6-5ish onward the level design started to really kick it into high gear and I feel like a little of that is lost in the S-levels.

Also that one airship with the two boss fights in a row? Fiendish!! It was the first time I cursed at the game

Tuck

I remember reading a lot of the reviews saying the game is not innovative enough as a Mario title. Their criticism boggles me as I think this game has some of the most innovative use of 3D and 'wow' moments around every corner with its stage design.

The game is great, but in terms of shear imagination, the Galaxy games are pretty fair ahead.

The Lamp

Got this game at the Best Buy sale.

Expected travel-size, mediocre version of Super Mario Galaxy. I heard it was awesome but I just couldn't really imagine another charming Mario game....I felt like ideas were getting exhausted in SMG2 already.

Figured I'd play one level....which turned into two....which turned into two worlds....

The ideas they are toying with thanks to 3D are really fresh and inspiring. It's such a fun and charming little game, I really feel like the 3D adds something you would feel bare without.

I'm loving it so far even though it's pretty easy.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
As I see it, this game's purpose isn't to be Galaxy 3 (what too many people wanted and expected), and it isn't to be wildly "innovative". Rather, this is a game about refinement and it's trying to refine a very specific thing.

Galaxy 2 introduced even more elements from 2D Mario games. The team is clearly questing to see how to incorporate everything people like about 2D Mario into the 3D games. I think it's pretty obvious that 3D Land is the most refined attempt yet to strike the balance. And see how to finally make certain elements such as persistent power up suits work in 3D. And it's a damned tricky thing. Even pulling out all the stops, tanooki abilities nearly break the game (and make the vanilla worlds easy).

But they succeeded. 3D Land marries 2D Mario's power ups, ability to replay a stage in many ways with different abilities, and quickfire courses good for short or long play sessions, to 3D Mario's jungle gym world design and the many innovative concepts devised in the Galaxy games that make use of three dimensional platforming. It also successfully employs what I feel is the best locked auto camera in the history of 3D platformers. It's 99% flawless and removes camera management that gets in the way of the game recreating the carefree feeling of playing a 2D game. I think that part alone could be why many people like it the best.

Plus, while it's true that many stages take place in the sky (effectively), 3D Land is a "return to the mushroom kingdom". Its stages are clearly grounded and it's in mushroom kingdom proper - like Mario 64 but without the disconcerting element of the worlds floating in a void.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Got this game at the Best Buy sale.

Expected travel-size, mediocre version of Super Mario Galaxy. I heard it was awesome but I just couldn't really imagine another charming Mario game....I felt like ideas were getting exhausted in SMG2 already.

Figured I'd play one level....which turned into two....which turned into two worlds....

The ideas they are toying with thanks to 3D are really fresh and inspiring. It's such a fun and charming little game, I really feel like the 3D adds something you would feel bare without.

I'm loving it so far even though it's pretty easy.

You're in for a freakin' treat. Don't stress AT ALL about how easy it seems. You shall be rewarded.

Teknoman

Im still surprised people are cynical about new Super Mario titles. There will never be a Super Mario or Mario kart game for that matter that is lacking in fun.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Not telling people otherwise, but it seems a little folly to compare this to the Galaxy games all the time. I understand that it's predominantly made by the same team and such, but doing so is akin to insulting it.

How many people can legitimately compare A Link to the Past and Link's Awakening? Truth be told the comparisons happen far more often than they should (even I am guilty of this due to my bias with LttP) but the two games are so alike and so different at the same time that it is far easier to accept both of them on their own merits. I feel the same way with Galaxy 1 & 2 vs 3D Land. It's slightly uncanny that both respective franchises seem to have gone through the same development style; Tezuka directed both aforementioned Zelda titles, and although Koizumi directed Galaxy 1, Hayashida directed both Galaxy 2 and 3D Land.

Sorry if this has been asked already several times, but does someone know approximately how many of the special stages are brand new and how many are remixes or timed challenges of existing stages?

In Special world three and definitely starting to feel the heat. It's amazing how tough some of the stages can be without the Tanooki suit.

edit: I should clarify, the stages are starting to get plenty tough, Tanooki or no Tanooki.

Im still surprised people are cynical about new Super Mario titles. There will never be a Super Mario or Mario kart game for that matter that is lacking in fun.

People are cynical about everything Nintendo. With as much as the gaming community tends to look down on them they still have some of the most consistent quality of software output in the industry.

Roto13

There are people who think bad Zelda games already exist. Some people are just crazy.

Sagitario

Loving the music and shortness of the levels (excellent for a quick play).
The new Mario animations are so cute, so charming :D
The 3D effect is really good and there is [almost] no crosstalk/ghosting [like in OoT, which became annoying by the end of the game].

What's the difference between both 3D modes?

They definitely have a similar tone, which is cool cause I like both songs.

chris121580

Aside from Skyrim, this is by far the best game I've played this year. So, so good. I like it better than both Galaxy games. I think it's worth it to buy a 3DS just to be able to play this game

Lothars

People are cynical about everything Nintendo. With as much as the gaming community tends to look down on them they still have some of the most consistent quality of software output in the industry.
Which Nintendo deserves, I'm not a fan of the majoirty of Wii Mario Games, to me the best ones are the sports titles and new super mario brothers wii, I am not a fan of either mario galaxy.

I did pick up both Mario Kart and Mario 3D land but haven't played them yet but I will be soon.

Which Nintendo deserves, I'm not a fan of the majoirty of Wii Mario Games, to me the best ones are the sports titles and new super mario brothers wii, I am not a fan of either mario galaxy.

I did pick up both Mario Kart and Mario 3D land but haven't played them yet but I will be soon.

Considering you're probably the only person on the planet who doesn't like the Mario Galaxy games, I don't think it's fair to say that Nintendo games deserved to be scrutinized by the gaming community due solely to your opinion.

Lothars

Considering you're probably the only person on the planet who doesn't like the Mario Galaxy games, I don't think it's fair to say that Nintendo games deserved to be scrutinized by the gaming community due solely to your opinion.
Okay, It's your opinion they don't but doesn't mean I am wrong or you are wrong, I never said they are bad games though because Nintendo shouldn't be free from criticism and both Mario Galaxy games have some great things about them but they also have some really mediocre things as well.

SmokyDave

I happily stomped my way through my first playthrough, collecting all coins. Then I started the special worlds and thought "fuck, this is awesome!".

Then I bought MK7. Damn. Platforming has ceased for the moment.

Chairhome

So I just came back from a cruise, and after many deaths, I've gotten 4 stars on my profile. I beat every stage and have gotten all 3 star medals and gold flagposts on them, how do I get 5 stars?! This is my first time in this thread since I've been out of the country and didn't start the game till I started the cruise, so I don't know what comes after the S worlds...

emb

So I just came back from a cruise, and after many deaths, I've gotten 4 stars on my profile. I beat every stage and have gotten all 3 star medals and gold flagposts on them, how do I get 5 stars?! This is my first time in this thread since I've been out of the country and didn't start the game till I started the cruise, so I don't know what comes after the S worlds...

Did you make sure to get every level with both Mario and Luigi? It should give an indication beside the gold flagpole.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
I'm enjoying this game a lot, but the controls might be my least favourite of any main-series Mario game. The distance covered by running jumps seems really inconsistent...any tips for getting used to this?

Dr.Hadji

I'm enjoying this game a lot, but the controls might be my least favourite of any main-series Mario game. The distance covered by running jumps seems really inconsistent...any tips for getting used to this?

One of the things I've noticed is thanks to the new angles you'll tend to jump the gun while making jumps at strange orientations and jumping the gun kills not only the top speed you might need for the jump but dampens the height of your jump as well (max speed gives you the highest jump). So if the camera is pulled out at a 3/4s angle Mario needs to jump when his feet are about the leave the platform not when the platform is obscured when Mario passes over it.

Another thing, as Mario revs up to speed much quicker than he has before and his instant run speed and max run speed are pretty close, you might be tricking yourself into thinking that your run speed is your max run speed.

Famassu

You guys weren't kidding with the addictivness of this game. Only meant to teast the couple of first levels, ended up finishing 2,5 worlds. :lol

TheExodu5

Banned
Another thing, as Mario revs up to speed much quicker than he has before and his instant run speed and max run speed are pretty close, you might be tricking yourself into thinking that your run speed is your max run speed.

That's the issue. Without seeing the "woosh" when you hit the max run speed, it's very difficult to tell the difference in between your slow run and fast run. When you jump during the slow run, you actually decelarate in the air, which makes jumping feel rather sluggish.

Another thing I find sloppy is this: imagine you're on a 1x1 block and you need to jump to a block that's 3 blocks away. How do you do this? Not by running and jumping in a straight line...you won't run long enough to trigger the fast run. You need to actually run in a circle on your starting block and then jump. It's rather silly. They should have given Mario more instantaneous jumping ability (and compensated for that by making platforming more challenging.)

You get used to the physics after a while, but I'm definitely not terribly fond of them. Other momentum based Mario physics models were more consistent and predictable (such as NSMB Wii.)

cozo

I wish all 3DS games had similar, under-stated, less 'kiddy' reversible box art. or at least all 1st party titles

first thing I did when I bought SM3DL was reverse the art

Tuck

I wish all 3DS games had similar, under-stated, less 'kiddy' reversible box art. or at least all 1st party titles

first thing I did when I bought SM3DL was reverse the art

Nah, i love the real box art. Looks great. And I don't get the reversible cover anyways.

Chairhome

Did you make sure to get every level with both Mario and Luigi? It should give an indication beside the gold flagpole.

Nah, I did most of the S-Levels with just Luigi, so I guess that's it. I'm not sure if I'm up to beating all the stages again with Mario, but maybe someday I will. What's the reward? Extra photo?

This is so true. I had my doubts about this game when it came out. I'm no longer a doubter after having played it.

Boogiepop

Holy crap guys, 7-1. Just competed with my roommate for best times. We both got to the 6 seconds pretty quickly, but I JUST managed to get it to 5 seconds. That requires... perfection. You just can't miss a beat, and you have to hit all the angles JUST right. So happy.

ace3skoot

whilst this is true, past success is never a guarantee for future success, each game should be judged on its own merits, no one should ever get a free pass on name alone, that is a dark and terrible path to walk down.

That's pretty much everyone's reaction when they find out.
Yep, and I ran through all of the S levels with Luigi in one sitting just to get that last level. I have had some epic sessions with this game, upwards of 6 hours or so. That is incredibly rare for me, especially for a platformer!

Chairhome

Yep, and I ran through all of the S levels with Luigi in one sitting just to get that last level. I have had some epic sessions with this game, upwards of 6 hours or so. That is incredibly rare for me, especially for a platformer!

So you just need to complete each stage with both brothers, or do you need to do the gold flagpole with both brothers as well?

So you just need to complete each stage with both brothers, or do you need to do the gold flagpole with both brothers as well?
You need to complete each stage with both brothers, get all the star coins, and hit the top of each flag-pole with either brother. I'm pretty sure I hit all of them with Luigi just to be safe but I'm almost positive that it isn't required. As long as you see the flag in the bottom right corner of the top screen when you're on the level select screen you should be fine.

Chairhome

You need to complete each stage with both brothers, get all the star coins, and hit the top of each flag-pole with either brother. I'm pretty sure I hit all of them with Luigi just to be safe but I'm almost positive that it isn't required. As long as you see the flag in the bottom right corner of the top screen when you're on the level select screen you should be fine.

Yeah, I've gotten all star medals and gold flagpoles with at least one brother on each level. Just wanted to make sure I can do quick runthroughs of the levels without having to worry about the gold flagpoles again.

Top Bottom