• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

KarmaCow

I've done that on the vast majority of the levels...where will I see the flag to let me know I did it?

When the flag reaches the top of the pole at the end of the level, it should turn yellow/gold and on the level select screen, there should be a yellow/gold flag on the bottom right corner of the screen when you're on a level.

Finally got to S-Crown. My goodness, the no-Tanooki run is harder than the Perfect Run. I can reach the spinning fire with the sinking platforms, but that is such an evil combination. I'm having a hard time with it. And an equally hard time resisting the urge to float through the level.

Bumhead

Banned
Bought this yesterday but only had chance to play a handful of levels.

Game is beautiful. I've never been a huge fan of Mario but this just feels right. Looks really neat, too. I just find myself sat there with a smile on my face when I play it. Its just such a fun game to sit and play. Really refreshing that these games still exist. Personally I never appreciate the sheer quality of Nintendo's output until I play something like SM3DL. The last few games I've played have been Deus Ex, Dead Island, Battlefield 3, Modern Warfare 3, RAGE and Arkham City. This feels like such a wonderfully refreshing change of pace.

Picked a red 3DS also which is a really nice piece of kit. Much prefer it to the black launch unit I sold a few months ago.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
When the flag reaches the top of the pole at the end of the level, it should turn yellow/gold and on the level select screen, there should be a yellow/gold flag on the bottom right corner of the screen when you're on a level.

Those markers only show up after you beat all the levels.

SmokyDave

Currently halfway through World 7 on my first playthrough. I've just been taking my time, collecting the coins and generally dossing about. This game is so charming, it's a really nice break from some of the other games I've been playing lately.

Looks great for a 3DS game too.

Barrett2

S7-2 is hard as balls getting all 3 coins. I've dipped below 100 lives!

At this point, i'd say this is my top 3 games of the year.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Anybody else feel Luigi is really off in this game? If I'm correct they said in the Iwata Asks they toned down his differences from Mario this time compared to the Galaxy games, but I much preferred him in the latter two. Here his jump momentum seems way too floaty and off, and his slide does not jell with the digital control axis.

Normally I love playing as Luigi for how fast and wreckless his control scheme is, but I didn't enjoy him half as much this time around.

Sinthetic

Anybody else feel Luigi is really off in this game? If I'm correct they said in the Iwata Asks they toned down his differences from Mario this time compared to the Galaxy games, but I much preferred him in the latter two. Here his jump momentum seems way too floaty and off, and his slide does not jell with the digital control axis.

Normally I love playing as Luigi for how fast and wreckless his control scheme is, but I didn't enjoy him half as much this time around.

I think I much prefer him to Mario, probably cause he looks so cute and Kangaroo-ish in his Tanooki suit.

Sweet Melissa, I couldn't agree more. I was apprehensive, then figured I'd give it a playthrough, then was charmed by the specials, then challenged by the late specials. This game is damn near (if not total) platforming genius.

It makes me feel like I'm being challenged and playing a game at the same time.

Gambit

I also prefer playing as Luigi, mainly for how he looks etc, but I agree that there is something wrong with his slide. It seems very inconsistent. I have the feeling it doesn't really work with the diagonal directions.

BTW: After reading your first sentence I expected you to complain that he is game-breaking. I don't think he is, but I do believe he makes it even easier. The levels were clearly designed with Mario in mind (as it should be). With Luigi the rhythm is slightly off.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The only thing I'd call 'game breaking' in the game is the Tanooki Suit. I noted it in my review, but there is not a single level in the game that isn't made ten fold easier with that suit. It makes basically every challenge, including the very, very final stage, obsolete to the point of hilarity.

It's nice to see it back and it's a lot of fun to use, but next time Nintendo need to spend a bit more time balancing their suits. They've been out of wack on the handheld iterations for a little too long now.

Finally. I beat the super secret final level last night with no extra items and no Tanooki suit. Things were starting to get a little tense before the victory, though. In the words of my wife, "I think I'm gonna add that game to the list of games that I don't like you playing..."

The only thing I'd call 'game breaking' in the game is the Tanooki Suit. I noted it in my review, but there is not a single level in the game that isn't made ten fold easier with that suit. It makes basically every challenge, including the very, very final stage, obsolete to the point of hilarity.

It's nice to see it back and it's a lot of fun to use, but next time Nintendo need to spend a bit more time balancing their suits. They've been out of wack on the handheld iterations for a little too long now.

The blue shell in NSMB was pretty nicely balanced, but everyone bitched that it was too difficult to use so they went back to making game-breaking fly over everything powerups in NSMB Wii.

Gambit

There is absolutely no debate. It's way overpowered. I wonder how they would balance the suit, though. Giving you less air-time might work, but I would prefer them to go the opposite direction. Make the suit mandatory for some levels, just as the propeller-boxes are in this one. If they give you enough Tanooki leaves, they could design a level around them.

I still have 4 more worlds to go, though, so something like that might still happen. Judging by your description, however, that sounds unlikely.

I know this game gets a lot of flak for being too easy but what people need to remember is Nintendo tried to make a game for everyone, not just us 'pro' gamers. My wife and my nephew both like this game but they find it difficult believe it or not; my wife hasn't gotten past Bowser's castle in World 1 and I think my nephew is stuck at the airship at the end of World 2 because he doesn't have enough star medals. I guess my point is put yourself in the shoes of someone who doesn't play games all the time or who doesn't have the same experience as you do. In that context the difficulty of this game is, I think, pretty fair.

I know this game gets a lot of flak for being too easy but what people need to remember is Nintendo tried to make a game for everyone, not just us 'pro' gamers. My wife and my nephew both like this game but they find it difficult believe it or not; my wife hasn't gotten past Bowser's castle in World 1 and I think my nephew is stuck at the airship at the end of World 2 because he doesn't have enough star medals. I guess my point is put yourself in the shoes of someone who doesn't play games all the time or who doesn't have the same experience as you do. In that context the difficulty of this game is, I think, pretty fair.
I agree, and I think the difficulty is balanced perfectly. I never got frustrated with any of the levels other than the final, final one but I had tons of fun working my way through the obstacles as well. Then again, I have a pretty wide range of tolerance when it comes to difficulty in platformers, I enjoyed Kirby's Epic Yarn quite a bit but I also adore Super Meat Boy. I think there is potential for fun in almost any case if the mechanics are sound.

Plus, I don't think this game is that much easier than other Mario games. I actually felt like it was right in line with the majority of games in the series.

Gambit

In that context the difficulty of this game is, I think, pretty fair.

I agree. It gets significantly easier withhe help of Tanooki, though.

In all honestly, I think the difficulty level of this game is nearly perfect. It's always fun to play, never exhausting. Donkey Kong Country Returns was my GOTY 2010, but I will freely admit that at times I wanted to break the disc in half. In Mario 3D Land that is never the case. The game fits the demographic perfectly.

JeTmAn81

I agree with this, I'm starting to encounter real challenges (for me) around halfway through the special worlds, but there have already been a bunch of points throughout the game where I've beaten a particular section or level the first time and I know it's only because I'm a veteran of these games. I've been playing 3D Marios for about 15 years, so the 3D-space platforming instincts are simply built in. But for someone like my wife who grew up on the 2D Marios but never really got into the 3D ones, just navigating the world can be a challenge.

The game is designed so that the difficulty ramps up as you proceed, which means it's not going to satisfy every kind of gamer throughout the entire experience, but it does have something for everyone.

EatChildren

The blue shell in NSMB was pretty nicely balanced, but everyone bitched that it was too difficult to use so they went back to making game-breaking fly over everything powerups in NSMB Wii.

I wasn't too hot on the shell, but mostly because I thought it was boring. NSMBDS has the worst selection of Mario items in my opinion, simply because they're mostly all gimmicky junk that have little unique qualities you need to master and instead weird context sensitive variables. Giant Mario is pure dumb and I have no idea why it was ever suggested.

There is absolutely no debate. It's way overpowered. I wonder how they would balance the suit, though. Giving you less air-time might work, but I would prefer them to go the opposite direction. Make the suit mandatory for some levels, just as the propeller-boxes are in this one. If they give you enough Tanooki leaves, they could design a level around them.

I still have 4 more worlds to go, though, so something like that might still happen. Judging by your description, however, that sounds unlikely.

They should have just dropped cross level power ups. People would be pissy about it, but fuck it. Its clear some levels are designed specifically around certain items, hence why they appear, but are broken by others (or just the Tanooki Suit). I suppose the random item block that appears kind of ruins that though.

And yeah, if you're only three worlds in you've only scratch the surface.

I agree, but its an annoying rock and a hard place, catering to both audiences, especially with a platformer where difficulty is derived specifically from level design, which just is what it is. I did find the first half of the game criminally easy, though still very enjoyable.

Sinthetic

Very interesting posts above, I agree about the difficulty curve being tuned well.

Upon reflection (I'm burned out from playing the game too much)... I think it's expertly done (a given from EAD). You can make the game as easy or as hard as you like.

Examples being, do level A with Tanooki (lose 0 lives), do level A without Tanooki (lose 100 lives).
I'm talking about you Crown!

It must be a damn hard thing catering to so many ages and skill levels, but this game achieves an A for effort.

To be honest I didn't realize there was even a difference, controls wise! :eek:

I just picked him as soon as I could since I like him better.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
If you think the Tanooki Suit is over powered and ruining your experience, don't grab it. It's obviously put there to soften up the game for a more casual audience, but it's not forced on you.

They don't offer the Tanooki Suit in some levels where you could really abuse it, so if you're going back to collecting a Tanooki Suit, and then complaining about it breaking a level.. :/

Dr.Hadji

If you think the Tanooki Suit is over powered and ruining your experience, don't grab it. It's obviously put there to soften up the game for a more casual audience, but it's not forced on you.

They don't offer the Tanooki Suit in some levels where you could really abuse it, so if you're going back to collecting a Tanooki Suit, and then complaining about it breaking a level.. :/

Its like people complaining about the cape in SMW. If you don't like it, don't use it.

Its like people complaining about the cape in SMW. If you don't like it, don't use it.
I think people complain because the Tanooki suit is really cool and fun to use, so it would be nice if its effectiveness was somehow toned down a bit so they could still enjoy it without feeling like it cheapens the experience.

I agree, but its an annoying rock and a hard place, catering to both audiences, especially with a platformer where difficulty is derived specifically from level design, which just is what it is. I did find the first half of the game criminally easy, though still very enjoyable.
Actually, it's very simple, and they've done it masterfully:

People new to/not very good at Mario games: Ability to go back to stage (S)1-1 and pick up Tanooki Suits as needed, which make levels much easier due to flutter.

People who are looking for a challenge: Ignore the Tanooki Suits both in stage (S)1-1 and elsewhere and have to rely entirely on your own abilities to beat the levels, which, especially in the Special Worlds, leads to some satisfyingly difficult levels (like, since I just beat it recently and it's fresh in my mind, say beating S8-5 while picking up all three Star Coins without Tanooki). Of course, stuff like the early worlds are kind of easy regardless and they could have extended this principle more across the game more, with the levels all normally having some degree of difficultly with the Tanooki Suit being an out-card for people that aren't looking for as much of a challenge, but even so, the point still is that as is, the people who are looking for a challenge have options like playing through the Special Worlds without the Tanooki Suit, and those that aren't can just breeze through the game by using it, which seemed to be an acceptable solution to that problem to me.

The only real problem is the latter camp can't seem to get along too well with the former in some cases. For some reason, many people who are looking for a challenge aren't satisfied with there being an option available (like the Tanooki Suit) for those that aren't at all. There's the valid options of not using the item at all or at least not using its ability, but that doesn't seem to be enough for many, which I can't really seem to understand. There are people who complain about the Tanooki suit being cheap and making too levels too easy, but when it's proposed to simply not use it, they suddenly due an about face and complain that refusing to use it would only be giving the levels "fake difficulty", despite the experience they'd get by doing so matching the one they claim to want anyway (the levels either not having the suit as an option at all or the suit being nerfed to oblivion).

Regardless though, the experience they'd get would be the same, with the only difference being that one way being who aren't exactly looking for that much of a challenge also have an option available for them, and the other way that's not available at all. In either case though, the people who are looking for a challenge get their option, so I'd rather go with the option that expands the audience and lets those that aren't be able to play their way as well. This is exactly what Super Mario 3D Land does and I've personally been very satisfied with the results.

EatChildren said:
They should have just dropped cross level power ups. People would be pissy about it, but fuck it. Its clear some levels are designed specifically around certain items, hence why they appear, but are broken by others (or just the Tanooki Suit). I suppose the random item block that appears kind of ruins that though.
Again though, what exactly is the problem with that though? It's of course fine to play the levels the way the designers intended and most of the time, that probably will end up being the best way to play them, but why should that be the only way of playing through the levels? Yes, that might be the most satisfying/difficult/rewarding way of playing a level, but again, what if I'm not exactly looking for those things and just want to be able to clear it? Providing an option of bringing in power-ups from other levels is a fine away around this, as it provides options for both camps. I can see no actual benefits/improvement that can be provided by removing the option of bringing other power-ups into a level and removing potential other ways the level could have creatively/more speedily/etc be completed.

The_Darkest_Red said:
I think people complain because the Tanooki suit is really cool and fun to use, so it would be nice if its effectiveness was somehow toned down a bit so they could still enjoy it without feeling like it cheapens the experience.
But that's the thing, isn't it? That is, the reason why it's fun to use in the first place is precisely because it's cheap. Or rather, better put, the reasons why it's cheap and why it's fun to use are one and the same: the length and feel of the flutter it provides. If they toned it down and gave it some super-short flutter instead, I really doubt it would be as fun to use, precisely because there would be less use to it: it wouldn't do as much and the effect wouldn't last as long, making it feel much less satisfying (in other words, if Mario dropped like a stone using it, and there was much less time to able to be able to get cool views and such using it, would it really be as much fun? I personally can't really imagine that being the case). At least in the Tanooki Suit's case, there's really little way to reconcile those two things, since they are both due to its effect being what it is.

Gambit

And yeah, if you're only three worlds in you've only scratch the surface.

I should have clarified I have only finished world
S4. So there's only about a quarter of the game left.

I really like the idea about the cross-level power-ups actually. It's a simple and elegant solution for the problem. The only way to go into a level with a power-up could be Toad houses and instead of random item blocks one would get an additional Toad house on the map.

Ydahs

Just got the game today. Quality title.

Graphics are better than expected and the 3D O_O Wow

Up to world 6, took me 2:30. Hopefully the
special worlds
offer a better challenge.

Also, I can't remember which level in world 5, but it looked sensational. Was overhead 3D, where it looked like you were peering into a room (
Was that the Zelda inspired level?
). That level looks insane in 3D and makes me want a Zelda in that style.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Just got the game today. Quality title.

Graphics are better than expected and the 3D O_O Wow

Up to world 6, took me 2:30. Hopefully the
special worlds
offer a better challenge.

Also, I can't remember which level in world 5, but it looked sensational. Was overhead 3D, where it looked like you were peering into a room (

Yes.
Doing level
5-2
with the exiting 3D is something unbelievable.

I "finished" this last night. I'm not sure if I truly finished it, as I hear there are big secrets to be had (I had over 100 star coins as of the ending of the final world). Either way, the finale was unbelievable. Better than Super Mario World, better use of 3D than anything before, and just plain awesome.

Very good game.

Finally hunkered down and got all my gold flags so I could unlock the fifth star and the 8-Crown level. The Crown level was difficult, sure, but nowhere near the Grandmaster Galaxy stage was in Super Mario Galaxy 2.

There's even an area in that stage that makes the Zelda "discovered secret" chime when you figure out how to open an iron gate.

Finally hunkered down and got all my gold flags so I could unlock the fifth star and the 8-Crown level. The Crown level was difficult, sure, but nowhere near the Grandmaster Galaxy stage was in Super Mario Galaxy 2.

There's even an area in that stage that makes the Zelda "discovered secret" chime when you figure out how to open an iron gate.

I've been asking for that since the 3DS was unveiled! glad to see my suspicions confirmed by that level.

seady

I remember reading a lot of the reviews saying the game is not innovative enough as a Mario title. Their criticism boggles me as I think this game has some of the most innovative use of 3D and 'wow' moments around every corner with its stage design.

legbone

i picked this up yesterday. amazing game. best mario game i have played since smb 3 on nes (my opinion). i am loving this. best use of 3d on the 3ds i have seen. had been regretting getting a 3ds a little (i am an ambassador btw). this game has made me forget about that. this game has replaced shadow wars as my favorite game on the platform. i can't wait for luigi's mansion. hope it is as good as this. i have a feeling it will be. i was a huge fan of luigi's mansion at the gamecube launch and am hoping for great things.

zigg

I remember reading a lot of the reviews saying the game is not innovative enough as a Mario title. Their criticism boggles me as I think this game has some of the most innovative use of 3D and 'wow' moments around every corner with its stage design.
If you hold it up to the Galaxies, it does look pretty pedestrian, even though it does have a few things to call its own.

But I don't think that really detracts from it being an excellent and nearly perfect game. Just means it's not a world-changer.

Mario games are held to this ludicrous standard where it's not enough for them to be the best platformer of a generation, they also have to be super innovative too. i'll never forget Gamespot calling Sunshine the most disapointing game of it's year on account of it not being as ground breaking as Mario 64.

3D Land is my favourite Mario platformer. is it the most innovative? no. but it's innovative, and so what? it's the most FUN, for me anyways.

Finally obtained 5 shiny stars, I thought
S8-Crown was a lot more enjoyable than Grandmaster Galaxy but it still suffered from feeling like a bunch of ideas slapped together to create difficulty as opposed to a well flowing difficult stage(Boom Boom Battle around 2/5 of the way through? seems pointless and also annoying when you die in one of the sections afterwards) but all in all it was kind of fun.

I think i've picked up on what makes Luigi so much more cumbersome in this game as opposed to his low traction Galaxy counterpart, the core slippery feet gimmick is still there but instead of it being when you stop running it happens when you start, it becomes really noticeable in the tougher S levels as Luigi when you have to make more precise movements and he suddenly spurts forward awkwardly with the slightest touch of the analogue pad. Throw in the slowness of his repeated jumping and he's just that much more of a chore to use which is a shame, it made me longing to go back to good old Mario.

The Golden flagpoles are something I feel could have been left off the whole "collectable" list, nothing like screwing up the jump to a flagpole and having to go back through the entire stage again, plus most of them were dealt with by using a tanooki suit or rolling long jump anyway.

Fuuuuu....

Just beat this game, it was awesome. Then it turns out I didnt beat this game, and I have all the S levels to go through, awesome. When do I get Luigi though? and is there anything after the S levels?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Fuuuuu....

Just beat this game, it was awesome. Then it turns out I didnt beat this game, and I have all the S levels to go through, awesome. When do I get Luigi though? and is there anything after the S levels?

In order: after the first Special World, and yes.

Top Bottom