• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

What an amazing game. And gorgeous graphics! I've just reached World 4 and it's been an amazing experience so far. Is it just me or the game is far too easy? Does it get harder on later levels?

Roto13

Handheld games don't win GOTY because they're not real games and it's impossible for them to be as fun as real games like Call of Duty.

Roto13

I think it's ridiculous that it's 2011 and handheld games still don't get any respect. There are people out there who compare proper handheld games to iOS games. Disgusting.

I think it's ridiculous that it's 2011 and handheld games still don't get any respect. There are people out there who compare proper handheld games to iOS games. Disgusting.
I was listening to IGN's Gamescoop podcast earlier (I know, first mistake) and this is basically exactly how they talked about Super Mario 3D Land. Greg Miller was talking about how he had fun with it in the first four worlds but it was just a "distraction" that he played when he was away from his consoles. He was talking about how he had no desire to go back to it or anything, it's just "more Mario."

Of course everyone on the podcast agreed with him. I'm not sure I should expect anything different, though. :p

Blablurn

I was listening to IGN's Gamescoop podcast earlier (I know, first mistake) and this is basically exactly how they talked about Super Mario 3D Land. Greg Miller was talking about how he had fun with it in the first four worlds but it was just a "distraction" that he played when he was away from his consoles. He was talking about how he had no desire to go back to it or anything, it's just "more Mario."

Of course everyone on the podcast agreed with him. I'm not sure I should expect anything different, though. :p

I used to like greg miller but times have changed.

SmokyDave

I think it's ridiculous in 2011 that iOS games don't get any respect and people don't think of them as 'proper' games. Just think, you may in fact be the monster you're attempting to slay.

What's the difference between both 3D modes? I really can't tell, except in one you get more crosstalk.
Basically one uses Mario as the central point of reference, so everything on the far side of him looks like it's going away from you and everything on the near side of him looks like it's coming out towards you.

The other mode makes everything look like it's going away from you, kind of like you're looking into a small box or something.

I really believe this game warrants GOTY consideration. It's the first game that really shows off what 3d gaming can be.

Why? I enjoyed the game, even if it was a bit easy, but aside from a few gimmicks with platforms that aren't where they would appear to be in 2D display mode, I can't recall anything that really screams "THREE DEEEE".

Unless the secret level I just read about on this last page does something spectacular. It's the only level I haven't played.

Roto13

Why? I enjoyed the game, even if it was a bit easy, but aside from a few gimmicks with platforms that aren't where they would appear to be in 2D display mode, I can't recall anything that really screams "THREE DEEEE".

Unless the secret level I just read about on this last page does something spectacular. It's the only level I haven't played.

If 3D doesn't help you with platforming, you might have poor depth perception and should get that checked.

So instead of providing an example, you choose to assume I have poor depth perception. Hmmm.
I tried playing a few levels with the 3D turned off and I found it to be more difficult to properly land some of my jumps, especially on the levels where you are going really high into the air with the propeller block. It's all manageable thanks to the shadows but everything felt smoother and easier thanks to the 3D.

I think the camera perspective alone would have been a bad choice if not for the 3D effect. It really does help with depth perception in my experience.

Glix

So whats the deal here. Do I get a Tanooki suit for the final level, or do I just man up and beat it?

What has most of GAF done?

So whats the deal here. Do I get a Tanooki suit for the final level, or do I just man up and beat it?

What has most of GAF done?
I have only beaten it once and it was without the Tanooki suit. I lost at least 150 lives and probably a good deal more. I didn't bring an extra item with me, either, just standard Mario all the way.

I tried playing it a few times with the Tanooki suit and while I never finished it I stopped trying pretty early because it seemed like most of the interesting challenges were diminished significantly, as expected.

I say go Tanooki-less!

I love this game and I love the 3D effects; however I can't honestly say the 3D makes anything possible that wouldn't be possible without it, or even easier really. I do think it adds a lot to the experience in a passive kind of way though and I never play without it, unless someone else is watching me play.

I love this game and I love the 3D effects; however I can't honestly say the 3D makes anything possible that wouldn't be possible without it, or even easier really. I do think it adds a lot to the experience in a passive kind of way though and I never play without it, unless someone else is watching me play.
I actually felt the same way until I tried playing a few levels with it turned off, especially some of the more demanding ones. Have you tried that? I would certainly agree that it doesn't make the impossible possible but it definitely made certain sections feel easier to me.

solarus

I actually felt the same way until I tried playing a few levels with it turned off, especially some of the more demanding ones. Have you tried that? I would certainly agree that it doesn't make the impossible possible but it definitely made certain sections feel easier to me.

For me it's the exact opposite :p I always turn it off for the more demanding levels as It kind of distracts me, also it sucks when I'm on a tricky platforming section and I break out of the 3D viewing angle for a bit. That being said, this is the first 3DS game that I actually play with the 3D on, very comfortable for my eyes as well.

For me it's the exact opposite :p I always turn it off for the more demanding levels as It kind of distracts me, also it sucks when I'm on a tricky platforming section and I break out of the 3D viewing angle for a bit. That being said, this is the first 3DS game that I actually play with the 3D on, very comfortable for my eyes as well.
Weird, I totally don't understand that. Maybe I should try playing for a more extended period of time in 2D so I can really get a good comparison of the two. My current viewpoint is based on no more than 20 minutes of 2D time, I would say.

solarus

Wish this game had AA. The jaggies kinda break the illusion of the 3D effect for me sometimes.

Don't 2D modes for games on the 3DS usually have some graphical improvements, for example Oot 3D gets AA when in 2D mode, i wonder why Nintendo has not done the same for this game, maybe to encourage the use of the 3D mode?

Don't 2D modes for games on the 3DS usually have some graphical improvements, for example Oot 3D gets AA when in 2D mode, i wonder why Nintendo has not done the same for this game, maybe to encourage the use of the 3D mode?
I'm not sure but it definitely affected my experience with OoT. I played the game almost entirely in 2D specifically for that reason.

Isn't that Wendy and one of the fellas I'm fighting?

Boom Boom, actually. He's the guy you fought in the fortresses in Super Mario Bros. 3.

Boomer.PNG

Pom Pom is the female partner of Boom Boom.

Lijik

The 3D was really only a boon to me when trying to jump to those small blocks over pits that the Star Medals liked to be placed on.
Otherwise it really affect my performance, I agree with Neuromancer that it still adds to the game in a passive manner however.

This passive aggressive manner of "Guess you have depth perception problems" reminds me of when my friends and I would argue about songs with shit like "How can you listen to this the percussion is so annoying" "Sorry the fairly quiet drumming annoys you that much" "Sorry you have such shitty headphones you cant notice the drumming"
Being 14, what a time.

I guess you missed the part about depth perception helping with platforming. I don't know how much more clearly you need it explained.

I guess you missed the part where assuming I have poor depth perception is a poor argument. I don't know how much more clearly you need it explained.

I mean Jesus Christ, I even said I fucking like the game. I don't know why you have to be so ridiculously defensive. Did you work on the game? What motivates you to take this stance? Is Nintendo holding your firstborn hostage?

This, I can completely agree with. I love the effect. It is awesome. I just don't see how any of it, other than the few instances of gimmickry - note that I don't really mean this in a negative way - that I mentioned before, is anything that couldn't be done before.

Its clear you don't know the meaning of the word "defensive" so I won't bother with this thread and just let you and Roto passively aggressively attack anybody who dares criticize a Nintendo game.

Meanwhile you can continue to passive aggressively attack anyone who dares disagree with you.

Roto13

I guess you missed the part where assuming I have poor depth perception is a poor argument. I don't know how much more clearly you need it explained.

Well I can't think of another reason why the addition of depth somehow wouldn't help you with platforming. Either you don't actually see the depth or it comes so naturally that you don't even notice it's having a real effect on the gameplay. It's the first 3DS games where 3D actually adds something substantial to the game beyond looking pretty.

You're ridiculous. Please actually read my posts, instead of only skimming the first sentence. None of that is relevant, because the game is perfectly playable with the 3D effect off. I know this, because that's how I played half of the secret world, and that's how I've played 3D platformers for years. I can only think of three instances off the top fo my head where they actually messed around with depth perception in a level. Two of those were in those little bonus pipe rooms.

Roto13

You're ridiculous. None of that is relevant, because the game is perfectly playable with the 3D effect off. I know this, because that's how I played half of the secret world, and that's how I've played 3D platformers for years. I can only think of three instances off the top fo my head where they actually messed around with depth perception in a level. Two of those were in those little bonus pipe rooms.

And 3D action games were perfectly playable before targeting systems were introduced, too. That doesn't mean they don't get even more playable with them. Why do you seem to think that if 3D adds something to the gameplay, the absence of it must ruin the whole thing and make it an unplayable mess?

Wow, you are quite the character. I don't know why I even try to talk to people like you. You're deliberately ignoring half of what I say, so we're done.

Roto13

Wow, you are quite the character. I don't know why I even try to talk to people like you. You're deliberately ignoring half of what I say, so we're done.

Yeah, I'm ignoring the whiny, bitchy half of what you say. I'm treating you with the respect you don't deserve. You're very welcome.

Top Bottom