• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

Teknoman

Thats just crazy enough to work...

lol but seriously, i'll probably just keep it. Its just been so long since i've had a busted looking cart that actually still plays. Kinda nostalgic I guess.

[Nintex]

Damn it, christmas crisis...

Somehow, while everyone was focused on christmas dinner, my dog got a hold of my 3D land card...and now its got like 6 puncture marks/dents on the back with mild front damage. Amazingly, it still works with no strange problems(Nintendo craftsmanship)...but i'm guessing there is no real way I could replace the card without just buying another?

Is the game data saved on an SD card or the game card itself? Because if its on the SD card, then i'm just going to try and buy another game.

jBVCZ45CaZpXp.JPG

j5QwWrSGRbgcr.JPG

Sell it to the Official Nintendo Store for their 'museum' it can sit right next to the Gameboy that survived the Gulf War.

chixdiggit

I am not much of a portable gamer but I must say that this game is superb. Am I the only one that prefers it over the Mario Galaxy and New Super Mario games? So much fun.

M3d10n

Finally got my copy.

I think the "3D Land" name fits the game very well. Yes, it's not part of the Mario Land series, but it feels like it's to the 3D games what the Land games were to the 2D series.

Also, I'll be going back in the thread and add every single person who said this game had digital 8-way controls to my ignore list. That's a goddamn LIE. The movement direction is clearly analog, or 32-way at the very least (I worked on a 16-way game and I can clearly tell the difference).

I also like that this game openly revisits classic Mario concepts in 3D without a complementary set of gimmicks like all previous 3D Mario games (stars, fludd, spherical planets, etc). After 15 years, we finally have a 3D Mario game where "jump on their heads" is the primary way to defeat enemies.

Also, I'll be going back in the thread and add every single person who said this game had digital 8-way controls to my ignore list. That's a goddamn LIE. The movement direction is clearly analog, or 32-way at the very least (I worked on a 16-way game and I can clearly tell the difference).

I think it's 16 way from messing about on the sand at the start of the first level, but it could vary depending on the situation.

In fact, put Mario in the very bottom left corner of the first level, hold run down and rotate between towards the wall and the screen, you can count 3 different angles between left and down.

Actually, from running towards the screen on the sand and shifting left and right I think maybe there's more after all... you might be right with 32.
I think it gives priority to 8 angles though, there's some sort of locking going on which I can't figure out.

My brother bought the game and I've been playing it for one day. I beat the entire normal world and half of the special world. Game is way too easy and short.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
My brother bought the game and I've been playing it for one day. I beat the entire normal world and half of the special world. Game is way too easy and short.

Sounds like you finally hit the difficult part.

M3d10n

I think it's 16 way from messing about on the sand at the start of the first level, but it could vary depending on the situation.

In fact, put Mario in the very bottom left corner of the first level, hold run down and rotate between towards the wall and the screen, you can count 3 different angles between left and down.

Actually, from running towards the screen on the sand and shifting left and right I think maybe there's more after all... you might be right with 32.
I think it gives priority to 8 angles though, there's some sort of locking going on which I can't figure out.

There is some snapping, but it seems location-sensitive. If you're standing on tight grounding (like a bridge) or jumping through a thin path of blocks, the game snaps the direction you input along the path so you don't fall off so easily. It's obvious there are triggers on the levels which control the direction and intensity of the snapping, just like they control the camera angle and behavior.

If you have ample footing, movement doesn't seem to snap to any given direction.

If you have ample footing, movement doesn't seem to snap to any given direction.

I disagree, but it's hard to explain why. If you've got to W3-1, the start of that is totally analog, you should feel a difference to W1-1 once the camera has locked to a wall.

So I agree it changes depending on circumstances.

Edit: ok, W1-2 is also analog on the bottom section and digital on the top section, how confusing!
I mostly agree with you, but basically it seems to snap anywhere that it matters, usually whole levels rather than the exception of big open spaces.

Edit 2: And then you have W6-4, which looks like it would have snapping but doesn't feature any! Opposite is true for W2-3.

I got this game yesterday and it is undoubtedly a very well crafted game, with an exceptionally polished visual presentation and great production values. At this point, I think most of us are pretty much Mario platformer experts, breezing through the various games without so much as breaking a sweat. But I have definitely died more often in 3DS Land than in any other recent Mario game- and by quite a wide margin. Not because the level design is any more devious than usual, (in fact, the game places emphasis on creative "segments" a la Galaxy rather than the pure challenge of old) but because the controls don't feel as precise as usual. Or rather, Mario's controls are not as precisely in tune with the world around him as they usually are. This is most evident during the sequences that take place on a 2D plane, even though Mario now has full 3D movement. In addition, Mario feels perceptibly less acrobatic than the previous 3D games/NSMB series. It's the first time in a Mario game where I've felt like the mechanics of the game are to blame for player error, whereas this has previously never been the case in a series that prides itself on its superior controls.

tassletine

I got this game yesterday and it is undoubtedly a very well crafted game, with an exceptionally polished visual presentation and great production values. At this point, I think most of us are pretty much Mario platformer experts, breezing through the various games without so much as breaking a sweat. But I have definitely died more often in 3DS Land than in any other recent Mario game- and by quite a wide margin. Not because the level design is any more devious than usual, (in fact, the game places emphasis on creative "segments" a la Galaxy rather than the pure challenge of old) but because the controls don't feel as precise as usual. Or rather, Mario's controls are not as precisely in tune with the world around him as they usually are. This is most evident during the sequences that take place on a 2D plane, even though Mario now has full 3D movement. In addition, Mario feels perceptibly less acrobatic than the previous 3D games/NSMB series. It's the first time in a Mario game where I've felt like the mechanics of the game are to blame for player error, whereas this has previously never been the case in a series that prides itself on its superior controls.

It's accurate. I can bounce off goomba's in multiple planes no problem. You just need to adjust to how it controls (which isn't like any other Mario game even though it seems to be).
Objects are lined up very precisely to allow to do particular moves at particular times, much like a Treasure game. It's not as freewheeling as other Mario games. It takes time but soon you'll be blaming yourself I guarantee it.

Celine

I'm doing the special world and this game could have become my GOTY.

Do you think 3D Land can be considered part of the 3D series? Along with 64, Sunshine and the Galaxy ones.
I would say yes.
Although it should stand parallel to Mario 64 like a sort of "what if" scenario on what could have been Mario evolution into third dimension.

It kind of make me smile that Super Mario 3D Land is based on the same orthogonal concept as early 32 bit platformers like Bug.

Locke_211

At what point does it say on the Map screen whether or not you've got a golden flagpole? And do you need to do it with just Mario or Luigi, rather than with both?

At what point does it say on the Map screen whether or not you've got a golden flagpole? And do you need to do it with just Mario or Luigi, rather than with both?

Bottom right of the top screen.

But how do I know if I've beaten a level as Luigi? Or do I have to finish the special worlds before worrying about that.

ghibli99

You only have to get gold flags w/ one or the other, not both. You do have to beat every stage with both, though. All indicators will appear on the top screen, bottom right.

Locke_211

You only have to get gold flags w/ one or the other, not both. You do have to beat every stage with both, though. All indicators will appear on the top screen, bottom right.

Cool. So does a separate indicator appear saying if you've beaten a stage with both Mario and Luigi?

Sagitario

Completed 100% this game on the 24th.

Fantastic, charming and cute game! I loved the soundtrack, it fits perfectly... the composer nailed it.

I never realized that Luigi and Mario had different physics until I tried Special 8-Crown... what's odd, after trying for like... 150 times (maybe more), I had to turn the 3D effect off cause I found it too distracting during the mid-level boss fight (which had no place there, IMO, cause it affected the tempo/rhythm of the platforming).

ghibli99

I had to turn the 3D effect off cause I found it too distracting during the mid-level boss fight (which had no place there, IMO, cause it affected the tempo/rhythm of the platforming).
I'm sure that's exactly why they put it in there. That fight messed with my head after a while since I started getting so impatient with it! So simple, yet there were times where I'd get hit, or worse, die, there. :p

polg

I hated new super mario bros
I REALLY hated new super mario bros wii

this one

is

so... magic

omg I love it muchly...

jgwhiteus

Finished (spoilers for very last level)
8-crown with both Mario and Luigi
- I didn't notice the different mechanics either until I realized I was having trouble with certain jumps that had been easy before. You don't get any special notices when you 100% complete the game, correct?

Overall, I thought it was great and liked it better than the NSMB series - the level design was more inventive, and some levels were truly challenging - but maybe slightly less than Galaxy / Galaxy 2, if only because I felt Galaxy had a bit more variety in ideas, and in 3D Land the Tanooki suit really "broke" the balance of the game. Levels were either too easy because of it, or too hard without it (I can't even imagine trying the last level without it). I understand why the item was necessary, as a means of jump correction given the complexities of controlling in 3-D (the same way the spin jump in Galaxy allowed you to change course if you overshot or undershot a jump), but it made such a difference for some levels that I ended up having to do "item management" by returning to 1-1 and S-1 to stock up on leaves for certain levels. I felt the design in Galaxy was a bit more balanced and dependent on player control rather than the items you had in your inventory, and whatever you needed to complete a level was thought out and provided within the level itself.

That being said, I do like that even though you end up doing
a second run-through with Luigi, as in the Galaxy games, you can just race to the exit the second time if you've already collected the Star Coins and basically do a speed run - I think in Galaxy you had to do everything over.
Went really quickly and was much less tedious, and speeding through was actually quite fun for certain levels.

EDIT: Oh, and facepalm moment (spoilers for very last level) -
finding out I could have just ridden the yellow platform to view the "Thank You" message rather than jumping around across the thing and dying a few times.

Riposte

Why?

Seemed like an upgrade from NSMBW for me.

As far as I can tell it is missing the triple running jump move. I see this clearly in those ending flag challenges which have been real dull and simple(maybe a few simple gimmicks thrown in, like hitting a switch before doing a normal jump). That was one of my favorite parts about NSMBW. I am virtually never losing my powers because I am only being hit once in awhile and I can hold two. I hear the game gets harder, but NSMBW was ready to go by the second world. There have been some cool visual stuff(the 3D is very striking) and novelties here and there, but the level design is naturally hurt by being a 3D Mario(meaning a focus on easy "exploration" and not tighter, more challenging platforming). Time seems pretty limitless because of pick-ups. I think NSMBW had cooler secrets in levels too, so far anyway.

EDIT: I will say the game is a better introduction to videogames than NSMBW is, judging from my sister's performance in both.

zoukka

The game really begins for veterans after the first 8 worlds.

But yeah, 3D Land suffers from the same problems as the Galaxy series. If you are ok with that, then it's a blast.

Davey Cakes

How far are you in?
I love the game, but it is true that it doesn't pick up in difficulty until the special worlds. Everything beforehand is a cake walk. Hell, a lot of the levels in the special worlds are easy too, especially if you're using the Tanooki Suit (which breaks the game).

But really, I could see someone getting 100% in this game and still thinking that it's too easy. The game never becomes overly hard for anyone with platforming experience, though the gameplay throughout is still satisfying and enjoyable.

I was disappointed with many of the star coin locations. Some were creative and interesting, others were as if the star coins were just thrown in without thought. Most of them were even more easy to get than those in NSMB Wii.

Super Mario 3D Land is a joy to play but I'll agree that in terms of difficulty it doesn't bring that much to the table. But again, if you intentionally forgo the Tanooki Suit then you will find some challenging parts throughout, especially in the latter half. Basically, a platformer is more difficult as it tests the player's skill and timing. SM3DL gives you a tool that takes away the need for both those things. I'll actually admit that on a few occasions I've lost several lives because I wanted to get all the star coins in a level on the first run but I was too stubborn to go back and get a Tanooki leaf to assist me in my objective.

In general I'm just really good at platformers, so many challenges are a bit lost on me. All of the recent Mario platformers are a bit of a blur, difficulty wise. I do think that Mario Galaxy is even easier than SM3DL, with Galaxy 2 being a bit harder, and NSMB Wii's difficulty curve being a bit more noticeable than SM3DL's overall.

sajj316

Finished world 4. The game is pretty easy for Mario veterans but I think it's perfect for a handheld game. For my one hour commute I'd like to finish a whole world. 8 worlds, 8 hours. Fine with me. How many special levels are there at the end?

Davey Cakes

Finished world 4. The game is pretty easy for Mario veterans but I think it's perfect for a handheld game. For my one hour commute I'd like to finish a whole world. 8 worlds, 8 hours. Fine with me. How many special levels are there at the end?
There are as many special levels as there are regular ones. So you're not talking about 8 hours, but rather 16.

Have fun!

Special levels?
There are 8 more worlds of them.

The 8 worlds didn't take me 8 hours but some of the later special ones are really slowing me down...

Love the poison mushroom, not exactly the green demon but it's a funny addition.

gimz

i finally bought this game last week as a christmas present for myself!
and i love it!!
I really love the style of combining 2D and 3D mario into one piece!
and this game is actually longer than i thought it would!

How far are you in?

Yeah I posted a couple pages back that I had bought the game and thought it was too easy. I was currently at world four special and was told difficulty would ramp up from there. Well now that I've 100% the game, that's not the case at all. Levels are only difficult in the sense that basically all levels get rid of any ground support so it's jumping on a lot of moving platforms. Sure I fell off a number of times, but after about two error runs you feel the level and it's a breeze by the third.

Game is fun, sure, but way too easy from start to finish.

Negator

Just Gold Flagged every level and got all the star coins in the regular levels.

Just did it for S1-1. I can tell this is going to get much more difficult.

This game is fantastic. It's amazing how Mario does not ever get stale, no matter how many times I play Mario games.

Top Bottom