• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

Anzan

Neo Member
So I got this game yesterday, or 2 days ago, finally. Anyway I've been really liking it. My quick thoughts:

- Still fun as hell, which is typical goodness from mario
- level design is good
- 3D is great
- I like collecting things!

My one negative:

- Game is definitely much easier than previous marios, and that's saying a lot these days.

Trust me it won't stay that way. Worlds 8 + Special Worlds are way harder than the SMG games and on par with the toughest of SMS (minus some of the cheapness). When you go for all gold coins in this game you'll lose a LOT of lives.

Wait till you play the very final level budster.

gauntlet.jpg

nothing will stop me from sucking every drop of this awesomesauce

Isn't that safe to assume? That a game would get more difficult as you progress? Just believe us.

The flaw, though, is that the game remains too easy for too long. Pretty much the first four worlds.

Trust me it won't stay that way. Worlds 8 + Special Worlds are way harder than the SMG games and on par with the toughest of SMS (minus some of the cheapness). When you go for all gold coins in this game you'll lose a LOT of lives.
Well to be fair, even though it's easy so far I'm still having a blast. But yeah it sucks that you have to wait so long for the difficulty to ramp up. Should be great though.

addyb

Whilst ive enjoyed the game I do think its the worst Mario platformer ive played and I have indeed played them all. Im a huge Mario fan and always have been but im totally let down by the difficulty. Ive absolutely breezed through the game and then the special worlds no problem at all, and whilst platformers are my speciality id hardly call myself godlike. Hell I had a lot more bother on the galaxy games when it came to certain stars.

I think the tanooki suit is well over used as well. Just little gripes I guess. I have enjoyed the game but definitely not as much as others in the series. In fact nowhere near. Shame really as I always look forward to a Mario platformer but this hasnt really give me that spark unfortunately. For me it really was too easy which is a shame :(

I fouuuund both Galaxy games and this game to be pretty easy, bar a few exceptional levels (mostly the obvious ones). I didn't find 3D Land to be easier than Galaxy. Just different. I don't know.

I guess I'm good at the vidya?

I haven't played NSMB Wii. U:

Ketch

This game is so damn good. I bought the 3DS because I never got a Wii and was tired of missing out on the Nintendo goodness... this is SO FUCKING GOOD>!! ARARHGHG

I saw this thread and got thinking: Would anyone be interested in a new mario game where Mario and Bowser have to team up to beat some new enemy?

ghibli99

Whilst ive enjoyed the game I do think its the worst Mario platformer ive played and I have indeed played them all. Im a huge Mario fan and always have been but im totally let down by the difficulty. Ive absolutely breezed through the game and then the special worlds no problem at all, and whilst platformers are my speciality id hardly call myself godlike. Hell I had a lot more bother on the galaxy games when it came to certain stars.

I think the tanooki suit is well over used as well. Just little gripes I guess. I have enjoyed the game but definitely not as much as others in the series. In fact nowhere near. Shame really as I always look forward to a Mario platformer but this hasnt really give me that spark unfortunately. For me it really was too easy which is a shame :(
Strange... I've been around since the DK arcade and original Mario Bros. games, and I'm enjoying this one thoroughly, both the easy and hard stages. I don't need a game to completely kick my ass six ways to Sunday to 'enjoy' it. Different strokes, but if you think this entire game is a breeze, then come on, you have excellent platforming skills and are above the level of most players. Just be honest, don't downplay it.

Lijik

Strange... I've been around since the DK arcade and original Mario Bros. games, and I'm enjoying this one thoroughly, both the easy and hard stages. I don't need a game to completely kick my ass six ways to Sunday to 'enjoy' it. Different strokes, but if you think this entire game is a breeze, then come on, you have excellent platforming skills and are above the level of most players. Just be honest, don't downplay it.

Pretty much. If you've played every Mario platformer to some form of completion you might not be godlike at platformers, but you've definitely built up enough skills to be fairly ahead of the curve.

Berordn

Bowser doesn't strike me as agile so I don't see the appeal as playing as him in a platformer.

It would probably end up like Wario Land where Bowser, lacking agility and finesse, uses his brawn for puzzle and enemy-heavy segments, whereas Mario does his usual thing. I could see it working if they bothered to give Bowser his due credit outside the RPGs.

jwhit28

I saw this thread and got thinking: Would anyone be interested in a new mario game where Mario and Bowser have to team up to beat some new enemy?

I always thought a game where both Donkey Kong and Bowser try to hurt Mario/capture the Princess would be fun. Have DK and Bowser try to out do each other in cut scenes.

DK owes Mario a beating anyway since he captured him and turned him into a circus monkey.

200px-Dkcircus.jpg

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I tried replaying Galaxy 2 a bit to test a theory, and found it's mostly sound:

Galaxy is as easy as the first four or five worlds in 3D land, IF you only play the first star in every level, then move on to the next level. Since Galaxy lets you immediately play the alt or "special" world in a galaxy, you run into harder challenges and difficult to find hidden starts right out of the gate.

If Galaxy forced you to play through the entire game getting only the first star / level course until you beat it, I think it would create the same effect as 3D Land with difficulty curve. Or, at least close to the same effect.

Edit: I guess this is one that will come down to personal taste. For some folks, difficulty is key to full engagement. For others, not so. I think I am in the middle. Difficulty makes me enjoy something more, but, Mario is typically so engaging to simply experience the act of navigating the levels, I find it's fun regardless of difficulty. So, I found the first half of 3D land (and easier Galaxy levels) to be perfectly engaging even if they didn't kill me a lot.

jwhit28

The games difficulty is kind of backwards for me. I love platforming at break neck speed. Constantly comboing rolls in Donkey Kong Country, keeping momentum in Sonic, never letting go of run in Super Mario, I do it all. So the challenge mostly comes from looking for star coins. The platforming in secret worlds is more challenging but they kind of put the star coins out in the middle of the open. So W1 through W8 were a little harder for me.

addyb

Thanks for the responses guys without hating. Maybe Ive just played the game at the wrong time. I admittedly have been ill around the time of playing it and so maybe I need to give it another playthrough.

I need to definitely know if it is the ease that spoils it for me. I certainly agree, I dont normally need to find a game extra challenging to be enjoyable. Maybe I had different expectations? Like I previously mentioned I do like the game but have enjoyed other marios more after the same initial period.

zoukka

I really think the Tanooki suit is what kills any challenge this game tries to throw at you. The levels are great and actually quite tricky without the omnipotent floaty tail of ez.

Goddamn it's a shame you can abuse it so much, but I think the game would be too hard for casuals without it.

Famassu

I really think the Tanooki suit is what kills any challenge this game tries to throw at you. The levels are great and actually quite tricky without the omnipotent floaty tail of ez.

Goddamn it's a shame you can abuse it so much, but I think the game would be too hard for casuals without it.
Then don't use it? It's not like there's a lack of different kinds of suits for Mario.

zoukka

Then don't use it? It's not like there's a lack of different kinds of suits for Mario.

It comes down to the age old question of should I alter my playstyle or play the game as it was designed... so far my collection instincts have made me use the tanooki when I get in inside the levels to hunt down the coins and get the golden flagpole, which are pain in the ass to get if you don't use Tanooki.

I'm enjoying the game btw, I truly don't want it to be too hard considering I played it a lot in buses and in an airplane yesterday, which aren't the best enviroments for tricky platforming. The slide pad isn't as accurate as a normal stick either.

The Hermit

Well damn. I didn't even know you could do some of those moves. And was that a warp zone?! I feel a little spoiled by seeing that, but oh well it's just a warp zone lol. And that level where he climbs the outside wall to get to the top instead of going inside... that HAS to be deliberate by Nintendo right? I mean they even put a little platform in the middle of the wall and everything.

yeah, with the tanooki suit its much easier actually, and its obviously deliberate.

Tanooki suit was clearly designed for speed running by the way the crouch dashing and short cuts you can do.

The Warp Pipe is a neat addition, but with how strict the requirements are to play every level you're likely better off not using it.

antispin

Bought this and MK7 a few hours ago. THIS GAME IS CRACK. Beautiful, fun, great 3D! Fast turning into my favourite handheld Mario.

Just got this along with Mario Kart!!!!!!!!!
Finished the first world and had lots of fun while doing it.
I was wondering which one of the 3D options did you guys prefer and if you thought there was any "advantage" to using one or the other?
I didn't see much of a difference, just Mario popping out or not

Wizpig

I just did level
S6-1
in 27 seconds. fun fun fun.

My first run there was something like 300 seconds sooo... yeah.

edit. 25!

ghibli99

100%'d last night. Maybe some very minor spoilers ahead, but nothing that would 'ruin' the experience for anyone.

Anyway, S8-Crown took me about 150 attempts to beat w/ both characters. Probably the most challenging thing I've ever done in any Mario game. It was way more challenging than the Grandmaster Galaxy Daredevil run in SMG2, yet interestingly enough, it didn't feel as frustrating. This is the only stage where I noticed the somewhat random feeling of the acceleration/physics due to how precise some of the areas were in terms of platforming demands. I could literally feel my pulse pounding as I neared the end. Unbeatable feeling of accomplishment, too. Amazing. :)

I would say that compared to the Galaxy games, the overall feel and tone of SM3DL is somewhere between 64 and Galaxy, but there are nods to a lot of past and present games in the series. The soundtrack is definitely a lot less epic than SMG (so spoiled by those OSTs), and isn't nearly as memorable, but it fits the whimsical nature of the game well.

The one thing I wish they would've done is give you a new set of rearranged Star Medals for the Luigi playthrough. As it stands, the Luigi missions are little more than speed runs in order to unlock S8-Crown above. That would've easily doubled the length of the game, but you can fly through all 16 worlds with Luigi pretty quickly (I did it in about a day). But after playing S8-Crown, maybe this was the right design choice.

Anyway, pretty minor complaint... overall, this is the best portable Mario game I've ever played. It's really polished, fun, and definitely legitimizes ownership of a 3DS for me (in addition to all the other recent reasons).

Game of the Year for me.

addyb

Damn guess im a one man band then when I say im disappointed by it. And I do love me some Mario. Maybe i just wasnt in the right frame of mind when I played through it but I found more than half the game just lacking something. Cant quite put my finger on it. In my defence I have been ill for the past few months so that could be a factor.

zigg

1Anyway, S8-Crown took me about 150 attempts to beat w/ both characters.
Amusingly, after pumping what must have been 100 Marios into the level (don't know exactly how many... getting there was the result of several 15-30 minute sessions over the span of a week or so), I switched to Luigi immediately afterward and beat it first try.

ghibli99

Damn guess im a one man band then when I say im disappointed by it. And I do love me some Mario. Maybe i just wasnt in the right frame of mind when I played through it but I found more than half the game just lacking something. Cant quite put my finger on it. In my defence I have been ill for the past few months so that could be a factor.
A few months? Dang dude, hope you're on the mend!

Amusingly, after pumping what must have been 100 Marios into the level (don't know exactly how many... getting there was the result of several 15-30 minute sessions over the span of a week or so), I switched to Luigi immediately afterward and beat it first try.
Haha... I was kind of the opposite: I decided to start w/ Luigi, and I lost about 100 with him. I rechecked this morning, did some simple math, and it turns out I lost about 125 lives total, not 150. Still, though, that's a lot of retries... and as easy as they are, it got annoying fighting those midbosses every damn time!

I wish the game actually gave you a crown for your Mii to wear. That would've been a really nice reward. :)

addyb

Thanks fella. Im awaiting an op on my kidney as I have dreaded stones not cant be shifted by other methods. Its dragged on for ages and constant infections have made me feel lousy since may.

So back OT im gutted I dont like this game as much as I think I should. Ive mentioned previously im a huge fan of Mario platformers so im not intentionally trolling. I just think this game lacks the creativity of previous entries in the series. Theres only a handful of levels I like but these are over with all too soon. I think theres too much emphasis on the tanooki suit and would of liked better and more varied placement of the star coins.

Again these are just my complaints. I dont think its an awful game, not by any means. Its a damn fine game but it hasnt drawn me in like it should of done. Love the fan service though. Warp on 1-2 being one example.

Quick question. What do you have to do for 100% completion.
Ive completed the normal game and the special worlds.

Is it just a case of doing it with Luigi now?
What happens when you get gold flags on all levels?

Quick question. What do you have to do for 100% completion.
Ive completed the normal game and the special worlds.

Is it just a case of doing it with Luigi now?
What happens when you get gold flags on all levels?

To get 100 percent completion
you have to get a gold flag on every stage, collect all 3 coins in every stage, and beat each level as both Mario and Luigi. Once you beat Special World 8, you will see little M & L icons right next to the gold flag icon to show who you've completed the level with.

Doing so unlocks
one last bonus stage that is centered around very precise platforming

zoukka

Oh wow I finally played a level in 2D and I'm not kidding when I say it was way harder. So this 3D gimmick can actually enhance the gameplay if done correctly.

ghibli99

In this case it indeed does, but just like any innovation really, I fear the 3rd party support will trickle down slowly...
When Nintendo decides to, they're at their best when they design their games around the technology and hardware, not forcing in a design and system that doesn't belong. The Galaxy games are a great example... the Wiimote spin move is so intuitive and necessary that I found myself shaking my 3DS at times trying to get Mario to spin in the air to complete jumps. I think that's pretty cool how it's become such an ingrained part of my Mario control lexicon.

Most third parties take existing designs and try to figure out how to shoehorn in those unique features (similar to how many approach Move and Kinect) instead of starting from square one. The result? The same game you've played with tacked-on support. Same is true for 3D, and until more companies think of how 3D can be an integral/necessary part of gameplay like this (and to a lesser extent, Pushmo... the depth really helps), it's going to remain mostly a gimmick.

hiro4

As far as I am aware, just the satisfaction of knowing you got the M/L/Flag. Wish there was more to it!

If you still don't have every M/L flag and every coin in every level, there is still an extra level to be unlocked.

Also that level is hard as hell! Fun, but hard as hell, I think I'm going to give up on that level, just like I gave up on the last star for Galaxy 2.

Top Bottom