• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

Duxxy3

It's fair to say that i'm not the biggest fan of this system; but yesterday i was at gamestop (gift cards for christmas) and they had Super Mario 3D Land on their demo station.

Playing the game it really took me back to my teen years with Mario 64. Controls were as spot on as every mario game and it didn't have any gimmicks that typically turn me away, just pure mario. No galaxies or water guns, just the mario that i remember.

Okay, so I'm at 332 star medals. One more via streetpass?

Here's hoping.

ed: oh god

IMG_0008.jpg

giving up.

zigg

Aren't there unlimited amounts of Star Coins?
Yes.

Also of note is that you get a new one every time you StreetPass a particular player, even if he hasn't played since your last StreetPass and is thus giving you the same Mystery Box over and over again.

Just beat world 1 and the first level in world 2. The game is off to a terrific start. Wow.

Side note - I was using the second 3D mode. Which do you guys recommend?

Just beat world 1 and the first level in world 2. The game is off to a terrific start. Wow.

Side note - I was using the second 3D mode. Which do you guys recommend?

Depends on the level, at least for me. Sometime the 3D effect works and helps better in one mode over the other. In particular, the 2nd 3D mode option in dark levels causes ghosting while in the 1st 3D mode it doesn't. However, I generally went with the 2nd option most of the time.

Yeah, this game is absolutely fantastic. I pretty much never 100% games, but it's so engaging and fun to play that I'm definitely striving to complete it 100%.

what second 3D mode??

3D1: Deeper 3D effect, further spacing of left and right images to create a wider and deeper 3D image.

3D2: Slightly more shallow 3D effect, with the upside of it creating a "pop-out" effect with great results.

Controlled with up and down on the d-pad.

Beats

3D1: Deeper 3D effect, further spacing of left and right images to create a wider and deeper 3D image.

3D2: Slightly more shallow 3D effect, with the upside of it creating a "pop-out" effect with great results.

Controlled with up and down on the d-pad.

Man, I didn't know this. I guess that's what happens when you don't read the instruction manual. I definitely like the second mode much more than the first.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
After playing this a lot today, the 3D really messes with my eyes when I try to read something. It's like my eyes are trying to make my computer screen 3D, and sometimes it even kind of seems to work for a second. Other times it's just like the text is trying too find where it's supposed to position itself in my vision, as in I don't see paragraphs as the same depth like they should be.

It's weird. Not the first time it's happened, but until recently there hasn't been a lot of 3DS playing going on.

After playing this a lot today, the 3D really messes with my eyes when I try to read something. It's like my eyes are trying to make my computer screen 3D, and sometimes it even kind of seems to work for a second. Other times it's just like the text is trying too find where it's supposed to position itself in my vision, as in I don't see paragraphs as the same depth like they should be.

It's weird. Not the first time it's happened, but until recently there hasn't been a lot of 3DS playing going on.

I close my eyes when looking at or away from the 3D screen and reopen them when I'm looking at the desired object. Seems to help my eyes adjust better.

I've experienced this even a day after playing it, it's mind altering stuff! Magic Eye pictures had a similar effect on my general vision.

Locke_211

I got this a lot after the system first came out. It completely goes away!

I was playing my girlfriend's cousin's copy on Christmas and damn I have never been so jealous of a 10 year old in my life. I need this game now.

I'm up to S7-2 .. enjoying it of course, but damn that level ticked me off the first time, and is even worse with shadow mario giving chase!

Is it just me or does it feel like the difficulty curve, whilst ok overall, throws a few curve balls between levels? You have a total cakewalk then a complete nightmare level, like they ought to be in completely different worlds.

I know it barely matters, but i would have preferred the worlds to have a consistent visual identity of their own. As it stands they may as well not even be worlds, just one level after the other really. They could have kept the play fields the same, and just thrown in some consistent backgrounds or something. As it is, i don't really feel like i'm progressing, even though i am.

That's really my only (very minor) complaint, otherwise it's fantastic and i'm interested to see if it'll continue to pull me in to get all the coins, flags etc once i complete the S-world!

Celine

^
I prefer different themes for each levels because it makes the progression more varied and unexpected.

I think that the main problem with how SM3DL difficulty develop in later stages is that is very dependent on item management.
The Tanooki suit ( with the chance to stock it for latter use ) can greatly enhance the chance to fully complete a stage.

To think that some GAFFER before launch was angry because the tanooki suit couldn't fly anymore lol.

So I'm not much of a portable gamer, but I've been really considering picking up a 3DS mainly due to this game. I love me some Mario and SM3DL looks fantastic. Do you guys think this game being the main reason to pick a 3DS up is a good enough reason?

I'm also considering getting OoT 3D and MK7, but mainly I want SM3DL. Is the game good enough to justify picking up a 3DS in your eyes?

I think that the main problem with how SM3DL difficulty develop in later stages is that is very dependent on item management.
The Tanooki suit ( with the chance to stock it for latter use ) can greatly enhance the chance to fully complete a stage.

I agree about the Tanooki suit but there's also occasions where its just the level design. S6-1 is a a basic jaunt up a block fort, to be honest i dont even know what changed from the first iteration of the level. There's about a bazillion propeller blocks and tanooki suits too.. almost no challenge. S6-2 is a donut platform hell where you have to jump precisely on goombas (to alleviate the time limit) and there's no power-ups except from collecting red coins!

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
So I'm not much of a portable gamer, but I've been really considering picking up a 3DS mainly due to this game. I love me some Mario and SM3DL looks fantastic. Do you guys think this game being the main reason to pick a 3DS up is a good enough reason?

I'm also considering getting OoT 3D and MK7, but mainly I want SM3DL. Is the game good enough to justify picking up a 3DS in your eyes?
If platforming is your main draw then check out SM3DL, Sonic Generations and Mighty Switch Force (and soon Mutant Mudds and Flipper 2). But 3ds is generally shaping up as a more rounded-up platform than ds was - as mighty as its library was, there were glaring omissions in there (eg. fighters/brawlers).

Celine

Only one game can't never be enough to buy a system IMO.
However if there are other games you may like already on the platform or in the future then SM3DL is a good enough reason to jump off the fence and buy a 3DS.

Personally it is my GOTY.

Sinthetic

Definitely, pick up the Ice White & 3D Land bundle, add MK7 to that and you've got 100+ hours of great gaming.

Chuckpebble

Guys, just used the golden tanooki suit of shame on the world 6 airship. It showed up because I kept suiciding when I'd miss one of the big coins. Did I cover my butt by going right back in and beating the level normally?

Cool. Thanks for the replies guys! I actually didn't pick up a DS since I haven't been much of a portable gamer in recent years, so I've got a bunch of DS games I could pick up too that I missed out on. Yeah the 3DS looks like it should have a solid library of games worth picking up, so I might as well pick one up, especially since SM3DL looks so damn good. :)

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
This game. This game.

I shouldn't like this as much as I do. The game isn't overly adventurous, being another title pandering to retro Mario love and using mostly an asset/artstyle tag-team combo from NSMBWii and the Galaxy games. The 3D isn't a revolutionary game changer or anything either. For me to like this game, it makes me feel bad in the sense that I am not condoning progress in games design, or constantly parroting the line that "things need to be shaken up" in order to keep gaming alive and relevant.

But seriously... wow. This is, like, the most fun Mario title I've ever played. The most joyous I've been about a game in so long, even after playing both Galaxy games to death (which as anyone knows is no small feat in the fun factor). Playing this on Christmas morning brought me back to my younger self playing Super Mario Bros. 3 on Christmas morning again, and I felt so happy navigating its twee little levels and brightly coloured, abstract landscapes and backgrounds. Nothing needs to be explained and nothing needs to be excused - it's just another reason to have fun rescuing the Princess again.

Even though the 3D isn't a massive revolutionary part to it (the game throws in some 3D centric bonus levels, but this are honestly rather gimmicky) I think it seriously helps me enjoy the visuals. One of my favourite things, outside of videogames, is model railway sets, and I always love seeing other people's craftmanship on display with micro environments that you can peek into from multiple angles high above everything. The 3D really gives me that same, wonderful, playful feeling. Watching Mario and Co. moving around these tiny clockwork dioramas that I'm holding in my hands just makes me smile with absolute glee. The level designs feel like a monumental celebration of the legacy of Mario - even outside the tributary power-ups, music and stage design, it really feels like the perfect blend between the 2D and 3D titles and feels instantly familiar and comfortable to me, and is probably another thing that gives me that "SMB3 on Christmas morning" feeling.

Is it easy? Very. With the exception of some rather tough Special Stages - that, from what I've seen, don't come anywhere near the level of Galaxy 2's Perfect Run - it's a rather laid back affair that is supremely generous with extra lives. Also, Tanooki Suit makes the game significantly easier to navigate. But, see, that doesn't bother me in the slightest. I like being able to hop, skip and jump my way out of locations and float down to faraway platforms I'm not supposed to reach where I doing it the conventional way, and I like the fact that the game showers me with praise through delicious little green mushroomy rewards whenever I do something right or take the initiative to explore a location. Moreover, the small, relaxed level designs are perfect for handheld gaming and a great way to appeal to the smartphone gaming generation.

Maybe I an gushing a bit, because it seems clear to me personally that Mario is more important than ever as a definition of what makes videogames the approachable and iconic pastime that it is. But after both Galaxy games I genuinely did not believe I was going to get so much enjoyment out of this game, especially being a 30-year-old who has seen a lot of games in his time. To say this is a killer app for the 3DS is an understatement; it is a real crown jewel in videogames and screams FUN - in giant, multicoloured capital letters - more than nearly everything before it.

B.K.

I bought a copy today and I'm up to the third world. What's the difference in the two 3D modes? I can't tell a difference between the two.

loosus

Banned
For anyone who is wondering:

I went through the entire game without dying (I went to the Home Menu and restarted when I died), and you don't get anything for doing that, so feel free to die as many times as you like so long as you don't die five consecutive times in a single stage.

Apdiddy

I'm loving the game until World 5. I've noticed some serious input lag going on and Mario seems to love to jump off/push against walls even though I wasn't trying to have do that (a lot of my deaths so far are because of that).

I'm not expecting it to be 'cakewalk easy' (i.e. Worlds 1 - 4) but it's highly aggravating for me. And I love the more recent Mario games, so I'm hoping my expectations aren't too high or unrealistic.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
This game. This game.

I shouldn't like this as much as I do. The game isn't overly adventurous, being another title pandering to retro Mario love and using mostly an asset/artstyle tag-team combo from NSMBWii and the Galaxy games. The 3D isn't a revolutionary game changer or anything either. For me to like this game, it makes me feel bad in the sense that I am not condoning progress in games design, or constantly parroting the line that "things need to be shaken up" in order to keep gaming alive and relevant.

But seriously... wow. This is, like, the most fun Mario title I've ever played. The most joyous I've been about a game in so long, even after playing both Galaxy games to death (which as anyone knows is no small feat in the fun factor). Playing this on Christmas morning brought me back to my younger self playing Super Mario Bros. 3 on Christmas morning again, and I felt so happy navigating its twee little levels and brightly coloured, abstract landscapes and backgrounds. Nothing needs to be explained and nothing needs to be excused - it's just another reason to have fun rescuing the Princess again.

Even though the 3D isn't a massive revolutionary part to it (the game throws in some 3D centric bonus levels, but this are honestly rather gimmicky) I think it seriously helps me enjoy the visuals. One of my favourite things, outside of videogames, is model railway sets, and I always love seeing other people's craftmanship on display with micro environments that you can peek into from multiple angles high above everything. The 3D really gives me that same, wonderful, playful feeling. Watching Mario and Co. moving around these tiny clockwork dioramas that I'm holding in my hands just makes me smile with absolute glee. The level designs feel like a monumental celebration of the legacy of Mario - even outside the tributary power-ups, music and stage design, it really feels like the perfect blend between the 2D and 3D titles and feels instantly familiar and comfortable to me, and is probably another thing that gives me that "SMB3 on Christmas morning" feeling.

Is it easy? Very. With the exception of some rather tough Special Stages - that, from what I've seen, don't come anywhere near the level of Galaxy 2's Perfect Run - it's a rather laid back affair that is supremely generous with extra lives. Also, Tanooki Suit makes the game significantly easier to navigate. But, see, that doesn't bother me in the slightest. I like being able to hop, skip and jump my way out of locations and float down to faraway platforms I'm not supposed to reach where I doing it the conventional way, and I like the fact that the game showers me with praise through delicious little green mushroomy rewards whenever I do something right or take the initiative to explore a location. Moreover, the small, relaxed level designs are perfect for handheld gaming and a great way to appeal to the smartphone gaming generation.

Maybe I an gushing a bit, because it seems clear to me personally that Mario is more important than ever as a definition of what makes videogames the approachable and iconic pastime that it is. But after both Galaxy games I genuinely did not believe I was going to get so much enjoyment out of this game, especially being a 30-year-old who has seen a lot of games in his time. To say this is a killer app for the 3DS is an understatement; it is a real crown jewel in videogames and screams FUN - in giant, multicoloured capital letters - more than nearly everything before it.

LOL - you sound like you've just come out the other side of a kind of pretentiousness that hardcore gamers have, feeling they're participating in the "art" and such of gaming. Don't take it the wrong way, it's just what happens to fans IMO. Fans tend to naturally get uppity about what they invest so much of themselves into.

That 3D Land has, for most people it seems, reminded them what fun a well made game really is, is little different than people who read fiction getting blind sided by Harry Potter - that a simple, well told tale still has such power shatters illusions of sophistry.

A LOT of people were poo-pooing 3D Land before playing the full game because they too were wrapped up in clinging to Mario Galaxy. Galaxy, I fear, has become a kind of validation fetish for a lot of Nintendo fans. It's like the one big Nintendo game of the last decade that everybody loves and has gained new respect for Nintendo over. Likewise, the reason so many Tendo hardcore flipped out in anger over the "cheesy" NSMB Wii. It was an insult to their pretensions of newfound Respect (tm). Even though it was one of the best platformers of all time and just plain more fun than most games out there.

Loonz

LOL - you sound like you've just come out the other side of a kind of pretentiousness that hardcore gamers have, feeling they're participating in the "art" and such of gaming. Don't take it the wrong way, it's just what happens to fans IMO. Fans tend to naturally get uppity about what they invest so much of themselves into.

That 3D Land has, for most people it seems, reminded them what fun a well made game really is, is little different than people who read fiction getting blind sided by Harry Potter - that a simple, well told tale still has such power shatters illusions of sophistry.

A LOT of people were poo-pooing 3D Land before playing the full game because they too were wrapped up in clinging to Mario Galaxy. Galaxy, I fear, has become a kind of validation fetish for a lot of Nintendo fans. It's like the one big Nintendo game of the last decade that everybody loves and has gained new respect for Nintendo over. Likewise, the reason so many Tendo hardcore flipped out in anger over the "cheesy" NSMB Wii. It was an insult to their pretensions of newfound Respect (tm). Even though it was one of the best platformers of all time and just plain more fun than most games out there.

Yeah, I agree. But there's nothing cheesy about NSMBWii, it is a superb entry of 2D-gameplay Mario series. In fact, having played all Mario games for uncountable hours, I dare to say that feature-wise (that awesome multiplayer), level-design-wise, it's probably the best, yeah, THE BEST Nintendo has ever released. It's astoundingly good.

But in my heart nothing will ever top SMB3 and SMW. I'm soooo emotionally attached to them. Even though they're probably, objectively, worse.

3D Land is IMO the best 3D-gameplay Mario ever released. So, so, sooooo much fun. Pure enjoyment from the beginning to the end. I love it.

Lijik

Likewise, the reason so many Tendo hardcore flipped out in anger over the "cheesy" NSMB Wii.

Personally for me it had more to do with NSMB DS being a dull, astoundingly average platformer and the showing at the E3 conference was basically "Hey! More of that."

This (again for me personally) was quickly turned with the media they showed after the conference though, which is something 3D Land did not do. They kept showing some of the more dull stages in the game in videos.

Like even the 1-1 demo at Best Buy had me go "Yeah I guess this game is okay". Some of the later levels I saw didn't have me excited because "Oh well, this is kinda just exactly a gimmick from Galaxy." It wasnt until a friend let play her copy for a bit and I saw a few of the better stages early on that made me go "Oh shit! Theres really something here!"

I still think NSMB Wii and Galaxy are better games. They teem more with fresh, new ideas, where 3D Land is more "Lets remix that in a way that makes sense for on the go playing". Which is fine, but after having an explosion of Mario platformers this gen it kinda has 3D Land feeling like yet another Mario game at times.

Kard8p3

I like how this game continues the trend of having the final boss
be like a level in itself. It started in NSMBW and since then I've wanted to see something similar in a 3D game. It was awesome here and I loved the references to Donkey Kong with Bowser throwing the barrels. I think this may be my favorite bowser boss fight.
I actually hope the WiiU Mario game continues this trend.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Post-game question:
I have 3 completion stars (Finished game, finished S-worlds, beat Bowser again in main game.) I am missing 6 flags and 6 coins and am not even close to completing every level with each character. Besides stars 4 and 5, are there any unlockables I get for finishing up everything else? I think I'm going to take a break and move on to something else if not.

13:45 so far.

Post-game question:
I have 3 completion stars (Finished game, finished S-worlds, beat Bowser again in main game.) I am missing 6 flags and 6 coins and am not even close to completing every level with each character. Besides stars 4 and 5, are there any unlockables I get for finishing up everything else? I think I'm going to take a break and move on to something else if not.

You get a new level.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Post-game question:

There
is a whole new level
. Whether you see that as worth it or not is a matter of personal taste but I just loved playing it so much that unlocking it was an inevitability, not a chore.

Top Bottom