• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The Tanuki suit is overpowered. I couldn't get past the balls of fire in the last stage by trying to play it normally. I stacked up on Tanuki suits and beat the level on my first try with Luigi. lol

Do I get anything from beating it as Mario too?
Did we play the same game?
I meant something along the lines of purple coin collecting. What we got is not the same thing.

Still need to beat World 8-Crown without Tanooki.

Those were cool. I'm talking about BS like Honeyhive.

Exactly.

Another purple coin mission that I really enjoyed was in the Sea Slide Galaxy. At first I thought, "Oh, open ended level with purple coins, this is gonna be dull." But the fact you have to get a lot of them by skillfully using the Bee Suit in between cloud hopping was really cool and actually expanded the level a bit.

Anyways, Green Stars in SMG 2 were such a huge improvement.

zigg

Beat it with Mario!

...now what? :(
z7Jqs.png

Still need to beat World 8-Crown without Tanooki.
I still think it's easier without it. :lol

Another purple coin mission that I really enjoyed was in the Sea Slide Galaxy. At first I thought, "Oh, open ended level with purple coins, this is gonna be dull." But the fact you have to get a lot of them by skillfully using the Bee Suit in between cloud hopping was really cool and actually expanded the level a bit.
Having done that one a few times... I think that eventually, the pacing made it less than it could have been. It ended up somewhere in-between the searching-for-coins stars and the pure acrobatics stars.

Korosenai

I just beat the game with five stars and beat the special level. What a blast.

Just wondering though, how do i get shiny stars? When i went back through with luigi, i beat all of the worlds without dying more than 4 times. Did i do something wrong?

Anteo

Do not get a "Help box" (either the golden tanooki or the p-wing) in any stage before completing it at least once.

So, on your first run with mario, don't die more that 5 times in a given stage.

Sleepy

Running through the levels to get all the coins and yellow flags, but I have a few questions:

Do I have to get every coin in the secret world, too, or do I just need to hit all the regular levels?

Also, do I need to do every stage with Luigi? The reason I ask is that there is no confirmation on the world map that Luigi has completed the level.

Game is really great. I cannot wait until NSMB 2.

Anteo

Running through the levels to get all the coins and yellow flags, but I have a few questions:

Do I have to get every coin in the secret world, too, or do I just need to hit all the regular levels?

Yes, every coin counts afaik.

Also, do I need to do every stage with Luigi? The reason I ask is that there is no confirmation on the world map that Luigi has completed the level.

Actually, there is, but I belive you have to beat all the secret levels and then beat bowser again in the regular worlds. After that, you will se a M and/or L in the screen. I can't remember where exactly in the screen but it was in a right down corner in one of the screens.

Sleepy

Actually, there is, but I belive you have to beat all the secret levels and then beat bowser again in the regular worlds. After that, you will se a M and/or L in the screen. I can't remember where exactly in the screen but it was in a right down corner in one of the screens.

I can see the "switch" button to change between Mario or Luigi (which you get for beating Bowser in the normal worlds), but it doesn't change when I scroll through the world, if I remember correctly. It's just weird to have it a condition of the game, but not let the player see all aspects of completion.

It appears on the top screen in the bottom right corner after you've beaten the game... I guess it might be after you get your second gold star or beat the
special worlds
, but I think I remember the icons being there almost immediately on beating world 8... see this image for help:

http://i.imgur.com/C6LuD.jpg

BD1

Banned
The final level is the first time in probably almost 10 years where I was ready to throw my 3DS across the room.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Cracked open this game three days ago, and today:

nz9znutaj:tw1

A few thoughts:

1) In a lot of ways, this was a better game to me than Galaxy. I loved that there were no bullshit objectives or anything -- it was just pure platforming. I wish Nintendo would do more of this sort of thing, actually.

2) Luigi is bullshit. Fucking bastard is just Mario, but harder to control. So, so stupid. Dunno why I played through the entire game again as him, but I did.

3) The game is sweeeet. I remember seeing the E3 demonstration of it last year and thought it'd be a pile of shit. I'm glad I was wrong.

Tyeforce

So a few weeks ago I discovered that there's a limit to the amount of Star Coins you can get via StreetPass, and that limit is...

0bXDo.png

Has anyone else here managed to reach 999 Star Coins yet? lol

ghibli99

2) Luigi is bullshit. Fucking bastard is just Mario, but harder to control. So, so stupid. Dunno why I played through the entire game again as him, but I did.
It took a stage or two to get used to him, just like the Galaxy games, but I thought he was fine. I didn't have any star coins to collect on my Luigi playthrough, so it was all just about getting to the end, and picking up the gold flags that I'd missed with Mario. I flew through the game pretty fast with Luigi!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
It took a stage or two to get used to him, just like the Galaxy games, but I thought he was fine. I didn't have any star coins to collect on my Luigi playthrough, so it was all just about getting to the end, and picking up the gold flags that I'd missed with Mario. I flew through the game pretty fast with Luigi!

Same situation for me. But it just felt utterly unnecessary. It was just a clumsier way to play through the game, basically.

Despite that, I still enjoyed playing through the game again even under those circumstances.

ghibli99

Same situation for me. But it just felt utterly unnecessary. It was just a clumsier way to play through the game, basically.

Despite that, I still enjoyed playing through the game again even under those circumstances.
Yeah, I agree. I've said this before, but it sure would've been nice to have a different set of star medals to collect with Luigi. Maybe for SM3DL2. :)

Christine

So in 50+ tries at Special 8-Crown I managed to get to the second segment a grand total of three times. The third time, I manage to pass the second segment--I've already taken a hit, so I'm small Mario & I have no backup items. So I assume I'm gonna die and I just want to see as much of the level as possible on this run, but much to my surprise, I fly through the third and fourth segments like some sort of untouchable tiny demigod in overalls.

Davey Cakes

Luigi jumped higher than Mario, which made him different enough for me. Definitely helped in guaranteeing the gold flags that I'd missed.

Naeval

I was impressed by Super Mario 3d Land. Better in everything to Super Mario Galaxy, and as inspired as Super Mario Galaxy 2, but now portable. One of the best games of the past year, but, being a portable games makes it invisible to win "Game of the Year" awards -_-

dock

The street pass star coins are the worst. I thought I'd just 100%ed it, and I have 311, but a handful of those were street pass. :/ Makes the number somewhat worthless.

Looks like I need to unlock 8-crown next. There's a lot of crap I need to do to unlock that.

Okay, this can wait another few months :)

In all, this is possibly my favourite Mario game of all time. o_o; Never thought I'd say that.

GimMick

Me and my brother collected all the star coins in the game within 5 minutes of each other :lol (he won)

However I have one more star coin than him (310 vs 309).

Next, going for all the gold flags and all levels completion with both characters.

Great game definitely, better than I initially expected (even though the post-game is more like a hard-mode version of the first levels rather than new content). Wouldn't mind a sequel at all.

Anteo

Yesterday I was playing this game at home (I just got it back from a friend).
I missed it so much, I can't belive how replayable it is. I was playing like one hour before stopping, and I still have not beaten S8-Crown =/

zigg

I'm playing it again from the start myself, since I lost my first copy.

I still hate 3-1. :lol But the rest of the game is so much fun.

ghibli99

You guys are making me want to do another playthrough! I think I just might have to. :)

Sadly. This is one game where I would welcome new DLC-stages.

(Of course, a sequel would be even better)
Yeah, a sequel would be wonderful. I'm sure the team had a ton of other ideas that didn't make it into the final product. Gives me hope, anyway.

watershed

Banned
I just started playing this game again start to finish. It really is amazing. It might be my favorite mario game since 64. The galaxy games have a greater sense of spectacle but this game is just pure platforming goodness.

I was replaying this last month, I feel as if I could alternatively title the game Moreish Mario because it's so addicting with a "just one more stage" approach, there's something so inherently enjoyable about the game.

Top Bottom