• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

spliced

Yeah, what I really liked about this game was that the "story" is tissue-thin. Less than one percent of the game has to do with cutscenes — it was really liberating.

Good point. I absolutely love that. You can look at your activity log and know it's basically all gameplay.

Second day in already on the final boss level. Don't get me wrong the game is fun to play but Mario games should be longer and meatier. Not the length and difficulty of a shooter campaign. So far this game seems more of a rental than a purchase,

Christopher

Galaxy is by far one of the best games Nintendo has ever produced. Ive been playing games since I was 5 with mario nes. Please dont say galaxy doesn't compare to this because it does and does it muxh better.

This game is great fun but man galaxy was just somethjnf else when it was released

RagnarokX

jIUG1JXKP899c.jpg

This is like the Mario version of airplane.jpg

This is better than galaxy 2 and on par with galaxy 1. Yes I'm one if the weirdos that doesn't like galaxy 2 as much.

There are actually quite a few people that like Galaxy more than it's sequel. I am definitely one of them. Galaxy 2 was one of the biggest gaming disappointments of my life, and 3D Land was very underwhelming. This game was definitely a return to form in my opinion.

I'm not really into DLC....but DAMN I want DLC for this game.

I know Nintendo has already said they're not planning any....but I really, REALLY hope they reconsider in a few months.

I don't care if DLC means more Captain Toad stages, Mystery House levels, regular stages, new worlds, new playable characters...I'll take ANYTHING. I need more of this game!

Andrew.

Banned
Is the pop-in as bad as some of the videos I've seen?

ive noticed zero pop in. youtube doesnt mean shit compared the fluidity of the real deal when its front of you and youre playing.

if its seriously in the savannah level ill look out for it next time, but dont dare let it hinder any sort of preconceived opinion before you consider jumping in.

Malus

ive noticed zero pop in. youtube doesnt mean shit compared the fluidity of the real deal when its front of you and youre playing.

if its seriously in the savannah level ill look out for it next time, but dont dare let it hinder any sort of preconceived opinion before you consider jumping in.

There is definitely some very noticeable pop-in in that level. That's the only example I can think of though.

Yes Boss!

Galaxy is by far one of the best games Nintendo has ever produced. Ive been playing games since I was 5 with mario nes. Please dont say galaxy doesn't compare to this because it does and does it muxh better.

This game is great fun but man galaxy was just somethjnf else when it was released

Kinda called opinions. Believe it or not, some of us have been playing games even longer! Not that it really matters.

But I'm a firm believer that they went with the Galaxy planetoid to do away with the pesky camera control...then further refined it by mixing that with 2D/3D play-field in Super Mario 3D Land (yes, I think 3D land plays better than the Galaxies). This is the natural evolution of that formula even more refined. What's more, they designed each and every world for up to four players.

So, yes, as magical and graceful as Galaxy was this game is better. imho.

Kinda called opinions. Believe it or not, some of us have been playing games even longer! Not that it really matters.

But I'm a firm believer that they went with the Galaxy planetoid to do away with the pesky camera control...then further refined it by mixing that with 2D/3D play-field in Super Mario 3D Land (yes, I think 3D land plays better than the Galaxies). This is the natural evolution of that formula even more refined. What's more, they designed each and every world for up to four players.

So, yes, as magical and graceful as Galaxy was this game is better. imho.

It was time for something different (and 3D world delivers that), but the long jump while slinging around a planet just felt so joyous in the Galaxy games.

japtor

SMG can't touch this game.

I loved SMG. Then I 100%ed it, thought about picking it up again to replay a handful of favorite levels, and quickly realized how much of a chore that is. Long opening, cumbersome hub world. The sort of game you have to really set aside time to dig into and I'm just not keen on games that don't make efficient use of my time. It's sat on the shelf since the week I finished it, likely to never be played again.

I've already gotten more playtime out of 3D World after finishing it. For all that some people emphasize Galaxy's "sense of wonder" or disparage 3DW/3DL's "floating blocks in space," the latter is by far where Mario shines best: function over aesthetics, always. When the E3 reveal trailer disappointed everyone else on this forum, I was sitting in my chair thinking to myself "Yeah, I asked for this."

I'll take convenient overworld maps over cumbersome hub worlds and rapid-fire gameplay over cinematics that are only impressive on the first view, any day of the week.

I need to get around to playing SMG2 some day, as I've heard that it fixed most of my pacing issues with its predecessor.
I loved SMG way back too. I haven't played recently, but I did start up a SMG2 game a few days before 3D World came out.

Holy shit that game just won't shut the fuck up. I don't remember if 1 was that bad but goddamn it was annoying. Then the level selection process seemed even worse than I remember in 1. It's probably quicker actually, but I think it's cause the ship as a hub kinda sucks for screwing around on, so instead of a little playground it just feels even more like something that gets in the way. And that's before getting into issues I have with the gameplay itself, some specific to Galaxy and other stuff that's been there since 64.
If there's one teensy tiny thing I'd complain about, it's that a message pops up to tell you the game was saved EVERY SINGLE TIME that the game saves, which, since it auto-saves, is after every single thing you do.
It's tiny but it compounds cause it's after every single level. I think that and the mandatory gamepad things are my only real complaints about the game.

Clockwork5

somebody mentioned before that the slot machine might roll in time with the music. I just wanted to confirm i got 777 gold by hitting the boxes on the first beat of each measure of the little jingle that plays. Wasnt sure if anyone followed up on that :)

Skilletor

I don't like the Galaxy games at all, so please don't compare it to this because I think 3DWorld is much better.

It's tiny but it compounds cause it's after every single level. I think that and the mandatory gamepad things are my only real complaints about the game.

There's mandatory gamepad things? I just started world 8 and I don't remember ever having to do anything mandatory with the gamepad. Are you talking about the clear blocks? A ground pound can reveal all the clear blocks next to you.

Smh...people all up in this thread saying 3D World is better than Galaxy, it's not even close. 3D World is great but Galaxy is practically the best Mario, I just hope the team moves away from this design now that their done with 3D World.

spliced

Playing Hands-On Hall makes me want a new River City Ransom.

I know there is some kickstarter one but I want one that looks and sounds like Hands-On Hall.

I'm so tempted to get a Wii U with WWHD and SM3W, but I'm trying to save up for a PS4 and get one when it restocks. Maybe something good will happen and I'll be able to get both. Forty-five degree angle face. This gorgeous game is so tempting though.

PogiJones

Banned
Galaxy 1 and 2 are better by far, but 3D World is a great game on it's own.

I love Galaxy too, but it's okay for people to have different opinions. I think it's important to understand that Galaxy was more of a revelation for its time, compared to its predecessors and its contemporaries. But if 3D World were released in 2007 alongside Galaxy, I'm confident it would have almost universally been considered the superior game to Galaxy in a side-by-side comparison. But Galaxy 1 and 2 have obviously stolen a lot of 3D World's thunder, since we've already tasted the 3D Mario goodness.

But 3D World has more variety, tighter controls, equally masterful music, FAR superior power-ups (Galaxy's were positively lame by comparison), better multiplayer, better graphics, equally splendid art direction IMO, less fluff, and more creative vanilla platforming. What Galaxy has over 3D World is the brilliant gravity play, and a more epic feel. These two advantages are hefty, for sure, but I don't think they're enough to overcome all of 3D World's large advantages in all the other areas.

Is the pop-in as bad as some of the videos I've seen?

It's really bad in the Savanna level. But other than that, there's no popup whatsoever.
1 level out of 80 or so ain't bad.

At least I back up my talk by actually buying the game and playing through it. Im sorry that I'm not just so in love with Nintendo that I'm unable to point out flaws and things I feel can be improved upon.

It's this kind of mindset that really bothers me. I am not in "love" with Nintendo but I can't find a single flaw in this game.

It's opinion man. It goes both ways too! People shouldn't be giving you shit for how you feel either.

japtor

There's mandatory gamepad things? I just started world 8 and I don't remember ever having to do anything mandatory with the gamepad. Are you talking about the clear blocks? A ground pound can reveal all the clear blocks next to you.
Well the levels that make you use the gamepad to play I mean. I've been playing with a pro controller and it's annoying that it makes you switch for just a level here and there. For Captain Toad it's cause the mic (and gyro camera you can't switch off in those levels), for others you have to touch the screen (and blow in some other cases). Thankfully there's only a few, but it kind of makes it more bewildering almost cause it happens so rarely and it's ultimately gimmicky feeling.
no I just got whatever was needed to open the locked worlds on each map. Im currently at 132

Im assuming getting all star coins unlocks
ability to play as rosalina?
Nah, I think you just have to beat
the second level of star world

After clearing everything as much as I'm willing to do (all stars and stamps) I might do a new file with a minimal run and see how much faster and easier it is.

So.. my Mii just showed up in my own level.

Either thats extremely, extremely rare or its set up to be a higher chance. Anyone know what it is?

Berordn

After clearing everything as much as I'm willing to do (all stars and stamps) I might do a new file with a minimal run and see how much faster and easier it is.

I'm actually curious about this myself. There's the trend in 2D Mario where you can reach Bowser in 12 levels by using secret exits and warp zones, so I'm wondering if that got carried over to 3D World considering how much else it borrows.

So.. my Mii just showed up in my own level.

Either thats extremely, extremely rare or its set up to be a higher chance. Anyone know what it is?

This happens to me on a couple levels but not in many. I'd think there's a decent chance but I've got no clue.

PogiJones

Banned
At least I back up my talk by actually buying the game and playing through it. Im sorry that I'm not just so in love with Nintendo that I'm unable to point out flaws and things I feel can be improved upon.

Yeah, I for one appreciate the fact you were willing to give the game a legitimate shot.

But it's important to put things in context.

Galaxy 2 also had two or three green stars per level. But every time you grabbed one, they made you restart the whole level, make you retrace your steps, then keep going just a bit past where you were to grab the second star... and then have to restart the level again, doing the same thing. In total, there were 120 yellow stars and 120 green stars, for a total of 240 game goals.

In 3D World, there are somewhere around 90 goal posts, 80 stamps, and roughly 350 green stars, for a total of about 510 or so game goals/collectibles. 3D World has more than twice the number from Galaxy 2. The only difference is they don't make you continually restart the level after you find each collectable, so the game is MUCH more streamlined and respects your time more. And even after trimming all the fat and fluff that padded time in Galaxy 2, 3D World STILL ends up being about the same amount of play time. There's just that much more content.

So don't be disheartened. You've still got a lot of game in front of you.

How can you people insist on ranking these games. When you're past a certain level of quality shit just doesn't matter anymore and it's just self-inflicted mental torture.

Yeah, I for one appreciate the fact you were willing to give the game a legitimate shot.

But it's important to put things in context.

Galaxy 2 also had two or three green stars per level. But every time you grabbed one, they made you restart the whole level, make you retrace your steps, then keep going just a bit past where you were to grab the second star... and then have to restart the level again, doing the same thing. In total, there were 120 yellow stars and 120 green stars, for a total of 240 game goals.

In 3D World, there are somewhere around 90 goal posts, 80 stamps, and roughly 350 green stars, for a total of about 510 or so game goals/collectibles. 3D World has more than twice the number from Galaxy 2. The only difference is they don't make you continually restart the level after you find each collectable, so the game is MUCH more streamlined and respects your time more. And even after trimming all the fat and fluff that padded time in Galaxy 2, 3D World STILL ends up being about the same amount of play time. There's just that much more content.

So don't be disheartened. You've still got a lot of game in front of you.

I think what is that I don't like about the newer Mario games is that there just using the same formula from New Super Mario Bros over and over again. What I miss from SM 64, Sunshine, and the Galaxy games was having different objectives in each world and seeing different parts of it and doing different things each time. Finding all stars and stamps is just redundant and if you have difficulty you can just go on youtube or ask someone online or in miiverse. I think the idea of bigger worlds with multiple missions made the games feel meatier.

Like I said though 3D World is fun and it does a lot of things better than the galaxy games (having crisp HD graphics, being able to use an actual controller, actual worlds instead of just moving from sphere to sphere of random themes, etc.) I'm definitely going to continue playing it.

Top Bottom