• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

ohlawd

For people that have beat this world. Are they all time trial based of levels you completed or are the rest new. Would love to know this as I just got here as well.
some are time trials of little sections of old areas. some are old areas but with a new twist. Some are totally new.

These are the best levels in the game <3

EloquentM

aka Mannny
For people that have beat this world. Are they all time trial based of levels you completed or are the rest new. Would love to know this as I just got here as well.
Well,
Some of them aren't, and some are. As I recall almost all of them are remixed levels after star world (this is in regards to fire flower world and mushroom world, I haven't reached crown).

I made a bad habit out of always trying to repeat my first success for each part, even if it wasn't an ideal strategy and just ended up making things harder on myself.

The blue/red block staircase is the toughest part, at least with Mario. There's a lot of little things that add up: keeping enough speed, jumping high enough to clear each step but low enough in order to land and jump again quickly, doubling back at the end without accidentally doing a flip jump, etc.

The speed boost section at the end isn't quite as bad imo but arguably more frustrating because it takes more effort to get there and you don't get as many opportunities to practice it.

I agree with most of what you said here. The rhythm blocks took me the longest to clear. Once I did though progress was slow and steady until I finally cleared the level. I actually came pretty close to mastering the majority of the level after two hours. I probably lost a hundred lives before I was able to clear it.

Berordn

Well,
Some of them aren't, and some are. As I recall almost all of them are remixed levels after star world (this is in regards to fire flower world and mushroom world, I haven't reached crown).

Mushroom and Flower World
are all remixed levels, but some of them moreso than others. You've got a few that will omit or completely redesign certain segments of the levels so that they end up being nothing like the original, and then you have some that just reduce the timer and up the ante on enemy placement.

I got all the way to the final world in 1 day and now I'm finally experiencing some challenge with these levels. Favorite level so far was the snow level in world 7 because you could actually play it with the camera positioned BEHIND Mario the way it should be. The music in that level was phenomenal as well.

NSider

Finished the game a couple of days ago, mostly playing co-op.

The amount of bonus content is astonishing. Definitely going to 100% this.

GOTY.

Spiderduff

some are time trials of little sections of old areas. some are old areas but with a new twist. Some are totally new.

These are the best levels in the game <3

Well,

Awesome. Thank you.

The speed boost section looked like it could get quite frustrating. It was a great performance on your part. Where would you rank this final level when compared with Galaxy 2 and 3D Land?

I know you weren't asking me, but I felt this one was the hardest. Galaxy 2's finale is an absolute cake walk compared to either of them. One could argue that 3D Land's is tougher, but this might have been the longest I've ever spent trying to clear a Mario level.

Just played the demo for SMB3DWorld. So amazing! The visuals, controls, creativity, and the music is all flawless.

The music is great. Fully orchestrated, sounds so good

The little things stick out.

Amusing that when you jump on a koopa, they try to go get their shell back. I kick it away and they look sad about it. I feel like a jerk but Mario's gotta Mario.

StAidan

I'm really loving this game a lot, maybe even more than 3D Land, but man I wish all of the levels were playable without the gamepad. This mic-blowing stuff sucks, and adding touchscreen interaction to that along with the regular platforming just makes for an awkward experience.

Instead of being entertained by the gamepad's possibilities, 3D World just makes me think Nintendo is struggling to figure out how the gamepad can add value.

Neiteio

I suppose the GamePad use is a little odd and incongruent. I always use the GamePad, so I'm wondering, what happens if you try to play, say, Puffprod Peaks without it? Does the game pause and prompt you to activate the GamePad and use that instead?

Man, I never realized how important 3D was to the SM3DL. I find myself constantly missing platforms on this game. Still, this game is farging amazing!

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Only couple of days left until tier 2 europe can join in on the fun!!! So hyped!

StAidan

I suppose the GamePad use is a little odd and incongruent. I always use the GamePad, so I'm wondering, what happens if you try to play, say, Puffprod Peaks without it? Does the game pause and prompt you to activate the GamePad and use that instead?

Yep, exactly. I've been using the Wii Remote whenever I can.

Andrew.

Banned
I only have used the gamepad and I love it. The Captain Toad levels are easier for me when Im looking down at the pad than looking at the TV. Weird I know.

FrsDvl

So.... I've got the game in my hands right now, it's supposed to be a Christmas present. I can't resist not opening it and popping it in. Christmas is so far away :(

A little window pops up that says the Gamepad is required to play the level, and then instructions on how to switch controllers. This is my only ONLY annoyance with this magnificent game. I was able to play 95 percent of it with the Wii U Pro Controller, which was fantastic, but then I had to switch to the Gamepad to play something like 5-6 levels? There's no reason that the Gamepad should be needed for the Captain Toad levels, and the levels requiring the touch screen and/or mic are just silly. It's like Nintendo created the whole game and then thought "hey, we really should find some way to use the features of the Gamepad... I know! Touch screen! Blowing!" These levels interrupt the flow of an otherwise perfectly-paced game.

The timer is my other issue, but that doesn't bother me nearly as much as the required Gamepad usage.

All of that being said, this is my game of the year and I'm completely shocked to say that I actually enjoyed it more than either of the Galaxy games, which up to this point represented the pinnacle of Mario games for me. The annoying Gamepad issues are even more annoying since everything else is so perfect.

So.... I've got the game in my hands right now, it's supposed to be a Christmas present. I can't resist not opening it and popping it in. Christmas is so far away :(

did_it_ever_happen_03.gif

I wish I could pull that trick, but I gotta wait until the 29th.

Clockwork5

Played multiplayer last night with some friends and began to use the Wii remote. I did not care for it at all, the dpad is too tiny for this game. I then dug out an old nunchuck and WOW! :) the combo is definitely my favorite control scheme. I normally hate the 8 way notches around the nunchuck analog stick, but it works PERFECTLY with the camera angles in this game. Just thought I would share.

I have 100%ed all mainline DS/Wii/2DS/WiiU Mario games, but I can't. I can't do this one.

I've 100%ed everything all till tye end of
Flower World and the Crown Captain Toad level. I've attempted Champion's Road and failed, but maybe with enough practice I could do it with Peach and Tanooki. Gotta love how they don't have the white Tanooki suit on that level. It wouldn't even make it that much easier, but give me a chance damnit

But that final mystery house. What in the fuck. You have do do 30, THIRTY 10 second challenges in a row without failing to beat it. THIRTY! WHAT IN THE ACTUAL FUCK. I could barely do 17 after over an hour of trying. Theres just no way. No way for me to do that shit. I don't mind hard parts in a game as long as theres some kinda checkpoints, but nope.

Damn. Sad to say this will be the first Mario game in awhile I will not 100%. i'm just not having fun with it after the mystery house. May go back and try Champion's Road but fuck mystery house.

Anywayz: It was a awesome game through and through. My final playtime, with about a hour added to it for attempting the final level was 16:34 for 100%ing upto the final level I can't beat. Great game through and through, played with all 4 characters but mostly Luigi and Peach. I surprisingly had fun with Toad too. Didn't play much as Mario since you can play as him in any game lol.

I love SM3DW but hope they don't continue the whole random floating blocks in space theme. It was fine for two games since 3D World expanded on Land so much and had so much more, but if they do a third one I think the theme will overstay its welcome. *Looks at NSMB games.*

Also sad that pretty much everything was spoiled in the trailers. There wasn't even a super new secret power in the later levels.
I don't really count the Tanooki Cat Suit.

Will probably go back and beat the levels with all the characters, or atleast try too. Not being able to beat the final level hurts, but that is too much to do without dying once and its just too stressful.

ohlawd

I have the same problem but I beat the former. It's just insane and I hit a roadblock. I have no idea what to do and J can't really experiment or I'll have to start over. 30 is masochistic but I've made it over 20.

The Lamp

I mean the level design is great IMO but you seem like you're looking for something more challenging and more bombastic with its gimmicks. You interested in Tropical Freeze? bc I think the days of challenging 3D Mario are over with (and have been since EAD) - they seem more interested in unimposing fun than the kind of challenge that some core players find enjoyable.

And the level design really picks up, you'll see.

Yeah Tropical Freeze has my eye. I'll be getting into the next world today or tomorrow so maybe my opinion will change once the difficulty opens up a bit.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
"Random floating blocks in space" has been a part of 3D Mario since 64. Several courses in that game were just floating in space, and many that weren't were just closed in boxes with giant walls or invisible boundaries that may as well have been "floating in space."

Mario Sunshine is probably the only game that largely avoided that, but it's been so long since I played that (and I've never played more than half of it or so) so I don't really remember if that handled it well or not.

Darryl

Banned
I'm really loving this game a lot, maybe even more than 3D Land, but man I wish all of the levels were playable without the gamepad. This mic-blowing stuff sucks, and adding touchscreen interaction to that along with the regular platforming just makes for an awkward experience.

Instead of being entertained by the gamepad's possibilities, 3D World just makes me think Nintendo is struggling to figure out how the gamepad can add value.

Are you playing alone? It doesn't seem like it is made for solo play. I think it's very cool. It isn't like you can just do one or two things with it either. Just about every screen has something you can mess with. Gives it another layer of co-op. Quick kill this enemy I'm grabbing. Quick run through these wind-blowing guys while I freeze them. Watch out I'm about to flick this bomb. Etc. I have fun with it at least.

Berordn

Mario Sunshine is probably the only game that largely avoided that, but it's been so long since I played that (and I've never played more than half of it or so) so I don't really remember if that handled it well or not.

Most of the worlds were giant, empty shoeboxes or were just effectively floating in space, like Pianata Village. You had some clever platforming bits here and there like in Noki Bay's wall jump challenges, but for the most part that was restricted to the special stages which were just floating in a void.

Spinluck

Just as good as any other 3D Mario.

I am amazed that neight the co-op experience or the single player aspects took a hit due to the inclusion of the other. EAD Tokyo are wizards.

I'd say the camera took a hit in when there are 4 players playing. That's about it though.

The funniest part of the co-op is the trolling of course.

Busaiku

Besides that last level, World Mushroom was super easy.
Though I couldn't seem to find any Stamps.

A Miiverse post on the 1st level said that there wasn't a Stamp in that level, so I just assumed it held up for the rest, since I never saw any Stamp icons on the select.

crops55

I'm sure most people have figured this out but if you don't want to blow into the gamepad all you really have to do is slide a finger back and forth over the mic to trigger the desired response.

On a side note, I love this game and adore the amount of craft and attention EAD has given this franchise yet again.

ohlawd

Guys, don't give up! I hit a block on those last levels too. Put it down for a while and come back to it later and keep pushing till you make it through!
I DID IT YESSSSS

srsly pissed me off more than the absolute final levels in Galaxy 1 + 2 and 3D Land.

k I'm done then. All green stars, will get the last 5 stamps.... iunno, someday.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'd say the camera took a hit in when there are 4 players playing. That's about it though.

The funniest part of the co-op is the trolling of course.

Camera took a big hit, even with two players. It's really hard to tell how the game determines which character to follow, it's not always player one and it's not always the character that's furthest in the right direction, especially in more open areas.

Top Bottom